Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 27, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #54,616 of 62,622
Going forward ANC is a must for me.. I use TWS for their obvious use case; going out and about.. In any kind of noisy environment, I needed to turn my wired iem’s way too high, it was probably damaging my hearing. Be careful with the volume knob, keep those ears healthy. 👍

For me it's the complete opposite, which seems counter-intuitive when buying IEMs with ANC, but I find it bad enough that everyone is now a zombie who just walks around with their face pointed towards the floor looking at their phone. If you completely isolate your peripheral hearing from the outside world, you'll cut yourself off from all sorts of hazards. Emergency vehicles, bikes, electric scooters, muggers, things from overhead etc. Yes, the likelihood of any of that actually affecting you is slim, but nonetheless a possibility.

The only time when I'm out in public that I actually enable ANC and use both IEMs is when I'm in a fixed position, like public transport. Otherwise I only ever have one in at any time.

Jul 27, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #54,617 of 62,622
For me it's the complete opposite, which seems counter-intuitive when buying IEMs with ANC, but I find it bad enough that everyone is now a zombie who just walks around with their face pointed towards the floor looking at their phone. If you completely isolate your peripheral hearing from the outside world, you'll cut yourself off from all sorts of hazards. Emergency vehicles, bikes, electric scooters, muggers, things from overhead etc. Yes, the likelihood of any of that actually affecting you is slim, but nonetheless a possibility.

The only time when I'm out in public that I actually enable ANC and use both IEMs is when I'm in a fixed position, like public transport. Otherwise I only ever have one in at any time.

Fair point but with ANC there usually comes some sort of transparency/hear through option. While walking got that on but in public transport of any kind I usually keep ANC on. Besides it works best for lower frequencies like humming not 'city noises'

Jul 27, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #54,618 of 62,622
The case is cool looking but impractical. I fall asleep with these in and when they wake me up complaining they need to be recharged putting them in the case in the dark is painful LOL.

The design looks far worse in pictures than in use. These are actually really comfortable and look good in my opinion. They have less issues looking weird than lots of stem styles I have owned.16904076156087518072732553869752.jpg16904076462685282192632771095716.jpg

I am a back sleeper mostly which I why I wear them to bed.

They are big but very comfortable and the size makes them easy to take in and out.
Pretty wild to me what they look like in your ears compared to mine:

Excuse the face, I had just woken up when I snapped those pics!
(Jokes aside, the ears are untouched in the photo)

Attachments

• FaceApp_1690469885390.jpg
    FaceApp_1690469885390.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • FaceApp_1690470088959.jpg
    FaceApp_1690470088959.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 27, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #54,619 of 62,622
Wow that is a huge difference between our ears. It shows how shallow my ears are. I may have a big lug hole where the tip is inserted but my actual ears are pretty shallow. Also shows why side sleeping is not very possible for me with TWS inserted even when they are on the small side they always put pressure when side sleeping.

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #54,620 of 62,622
Pretty wild to me what they look like in your ears compared to mine:

Excuse the face, I had just woken up when I snapped those pics!
(Jokes aside, the ears are untouched in the photo)
Wow that is a huge difference between our ears. It shows how shallow my ears are. I may have a big lug hole where the tip is inserted but my actual ears are pretty shallow. Also shows why side sleeping is not very possible for me with TWS inserted even when they are on the small side they always put pressure when side sleeping.
I'll give you guys credit for posting your mugs on the interwebs. We thank you for your contributions to the search of truth, justice and TWS perfection!

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #54,622 of 62,622
Okay, I know this is semi-off topic... But I'm thinking of buying some wired IEM's to use with just like an Apple Usb-c adapter...

How much money would I need to spend to buy something that would just completely stomp the best-sounding TWS?

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #54,623 of 62,622
My Sony's from Amazon just got delayed until Sunday. HOW WILL I SURVIVE!
Cancelled my order. I don't need these. Will be interested to hear opinions. But I've never liked Sony's sound signature all that much. Living vicariously through the rest of of you for once. Popping in my Svanar now.

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #54,624 of 62,622
Okay, I know this is semi-off topic... But I'm thinking of buying some wired IEM's to use with just like an Apple Usb-c adapter...

How much money would I need to spend to buy something that would just completely stomp the best-sounding TWS?
The problem is the Apple USB adapter won't really drive better IEM's properly. So you'd probably want to at least get a USB-DAC/AMP in the chain. Like a dragonfly or something. There are probably IEMS that can be driven solely by an iphone but then i doubt you'd "stomp" the best TWS. Honestly, the Denon for $350, the Noble for $350 and even Svanar for $500 are hard to beat dollar for dollar versus a wired set up.

Jul 27, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #54,625 of 62,622

This will very much depend on your preferred sound signature, but I'd be surprised if you have to spend as much as $50 to equal/beat the best TWS out there. So many excellent chi-fi iems out there right now.

Jul 27, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #54,626 of 62,622
This will very much depend on your preferred sound signature, but I'd be surprised if you have to spend as much as $50 to equal/beat the best TWS out there. So many excellent chi-fi iems out there right now.
And run them out of an iphone with no DAC/Amp? I'm skeptical but it's been a while since I spent (wasted) my money on chi fi IEMs.

Jul 27, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #54,627 of 62,622

I have a Sony DAP, but have used my Apple dongle from my iphone to drive my three IEM (dynamic driver) just fine. I also have a Fiio/Jade KA-3 to use balanced cables if I want. my iems are IE600/IE200/EAH-TZ700s for reference.

Jul 27, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #54,628 of 62,622
Sony is probably best bang for the buck and will sound good overall. Bose I find to be too "boosted" in many areas.

Jul 27, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #54,629 of 62,622
And run them out of an iphone with no DAC/Amp? I'm skeptical but it's been a while since I spent (wasted) my money on chi fi IEMs.
Not out of an iPhone. Using the Apple USB-C dongle plugged into an Android phone. Maybe there's no point to that distinction but... Yeah, just to clarify.

Jul 27, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #54,630 of 62,622
Hard to know for sure with chi-fi bought and paid for dishonest reviews.

I reckon somewhere in the region of 400-600 AUD would get you above a tws.

I have the imr BC 2023 which is slightly better than the Fokus Pro. I still use the Fokus more tho.

You just need to get something easy to drive. Noble wired iems are typically easy.

There are some good cheaper models that I've seen people talk about on the discovery thread. Simgot and EPZ seem alright.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back