Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 28, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #54,661 of 62,824
Damn. I wish the NTP didn't have so many issues and I could trust the PerL Pro to have solved them. Still the most unique sound I've heard.

Have you given the PerL a test outdoors? Any connection woes?
Nothing more than down to the mailbox and back. 5 min max. Sounded great, and no drops, but I am using an iPhone, so AAC only. I’ll update over the next few days and provide my limited expertise.

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #54,662 of 62,824
You and me both, dude.

They really cut the size/weight. Pic is of APP2, Bose and of course the Sony. Messing with EQ etc. I like my bass in metal. LDAC sounds great. Definitely not as much sub-bass as some other I've preferred. ANC is of course great, transparency is APP quality. They do feel cheap but it's probably recycled plastics etc. To me, not awful. Expected. Similar to the Linkbuds. Shuffling bands like Soundgarden, AIC and the like. Happy with the sound. I'll have to compare them to my 3ANC, which I'm sure will crush for sound but not close for ANC.
At least yours were delivered. Who knows what is going on with Amazon in my neck of the woods. Will see how they stack up against my current sound leaders, 3ANC and Svanar, if they come.

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #54,663 of 62,824
Just received my XM5 earlier today and I quite like the sound. The bass is there but more of you hear than feel it. The vocal is clear and the treble has some air to it.
Ambiance mode is the best from all my other TWS (TWX9, GB2 pro, GB Live, etc). I couldn't hear any hiss even at max ambiance volume. ANC is also the best from the others. Haven't tried call yet. 20230728_192221.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #54,665 of 62,824
It looks a bit like people were trying to convince themselves that the WF-XM5s are worth $300
Doesn't sound like they are from a sound perspective. So what else are you paying for? Touch functions,?

Jul 29, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #54,666 of 62,824
Amazing, but Sony's xm5 app is not really useful as it's impossible to assign preferred functions to the touch part and tap and double tap of left ears are even not assigned and impossible to be assigned.... I am a bit disappointed.

The battery playing time seems to be the best I ever owned.. more than 8 hours in LDAC music playing mode (without ANC, as it is useless in a house with spinfit tips).

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #54,668 of 62,824
Doesn't sound like they are from a sound perspective. So what else are you paying for? Touch functions,?
While I have used the XM5 for only a few hours, and while whether something is worth getting is a very personal question, at this point I think that they were a good purchase for me. The sound of the XM5 to me is better than the XM4 - I found the XM4 to be far too dark without EQ, and much better than the galaxy Buds 2 Pro which always felt thin and lifeless. I need to do some more listening to the Mystique versus the XM5 to draw any real comparisons there, but I don’t immediately reach for the Mystique, if that is an indicator. The size of the XM5 is quite tiny, so I can forget they are in my ears. Since I lost my 3ANC I cannot do comparisons to those.

The biggest issue is the glossy finish - coupled with the small rounded shape these are very, very easy to drop these if you are not careful.

Anyway, I am still in the new toy phase, but I think I am really going to like these.

Jul 29, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #54,669 of 62,824
While I have used the XM5 for only a few hours, and while whether something is worth getting is a very personal question, at this point I think that they were a good purchase for me. The sound of the XM5 to me is better than the XM4 - I found the XM4 to be far too dark without EQ, and much better than the galaxy Buds 2 Pro which always felt thin and lifeless. I need to do some more listening to the Mystique versus the XM5 to draw any real comparisons there, but I don’t immediately reach for the Mystique, if that is an indicator. The size of the XM5 is quite tiny, so I can forget they are in my ears. Since I lost my 3ANC I cannot do comparisons to those.

The biggest issue is the glossy finish - coupled with the small rounded shape these are very, very easy to drop these if you are not careful.

Anyway, I am still in the new toy phase, but I think I am really going to like these.
Thanks for the impressions. I've got mine coming next Wednesday!

Jul 29, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #54,672 of 62,824
At present, the best things about these toys are most are still under 500.00, unlike the toys in the other threads I am on.

Jul 29, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #54,674 of 62,824
Cancelled my order. I don't need these. Will be interested to hear opinions. But I've never liked Sony's sound signature all that much. Living vicariously through the rest of of you for once. Popping in my Svanar now.
I cancelled mine after my wife caught me in the act. She reminded me that I bought the Liberty 4 NC for $80 about a month ago. I guess $80 doesn't count for me as "real" gear, more something to throw at my kid when she loses hers. Also, I had only used them for about an hour and didn't really like what seemed to me as exaggerated dynamics. Anyway, I protested that I needed the Sony's mighty ANC and 8 hour battery life for the flight we we're about to take and she then reminded me that I mentioned the L4NC were supposed to 10 hour battery life and great ANC for the price...

I tried out the L4NC again and noticed that I had "3d sound" toggled on. I turned that off and suddenly they sounded really quite good. And after some experimentation I discovered the ANC is excellent as well, probably the best I currently have in TWS and actually held their own against my Bose wired earbuds in silencing a loud A/C unit. The Bose erased it very slightly more, but given the hiss I think I preferred the L4NC. Also I happened to try them just after a shower, and the seal was noticeably improved, maximizing the NC effect.

Some reviewers have questioned the value proposition of the Sony, and given how very, very good the L4NC total package is I am inclined to agree. I'm interested to hear if anyone has both the L4NC and Sonys, but for now I think I'll actually listen to my wife for a change :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back