Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 17, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #51,196 of 63,071
I need a pair of sleep buds that can drown out a snoring partner. Ear plugs are not proving to be good enough. Would also like 8+ hours of battery life. I'm a side sleeper, so small size and comfort are a must. Bose has discontinued their sleep buds and I've seen no indication of a new model coming. All the options seem to have serious limitations. Had anyone found something effective?
I use the Soundcore A40 for sleep. And I’m a side sleeper too. They work great!

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #51,197 of 63,071
256GB is not a lot once the phone becomes clogged over the years with updates etc added to my whole 600 or so CD rip collection (mp3 320, be worse if FLAC), I would want a SD slot and I have no clue why they chose to remove them from the current new phones.

My phone is an older Flagship model, and it came in 64GB or 128GB models with either 4GB or 6GB of RAM, I managed to get the 6GB RAM model but only the 128GB due to no stock at that time, but not an issue as I use a 256GB SD card with it for all the media side of things (music/photos/security cam footage) and have a 400GB SD card if need be.

I would buy a new phone with 256GB no probelm IF it also had an SD slot.
That's fantastic. It doesn't work for you because you must have your entire collection otherwise there is no point for high end codecs to you. So don't buy a new phone.

My point is for many of us 256 GB or even for some superpower users 512 gigabytes is way more than enough storage to warrant having high quality codecs, which you said was pointless if they don't have removable storage.

Well there's plenty of storage for a lot of lossless music with those kind of storage numbers. There's a lot of people that want those high and codecs on their phones. I mean just look at any head fi form that talks about it people want to listen to music and high quality. They're not going to deprive themselves of that because there is no removable storage and they don't need to carry their entire collection at all times and for many of us having 100 hours of lossless music is plenty for our day-to-day going about. I'm sorry it doesn't work for you.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #51,198 of 63,071
Do not assume I do not have Hi Res files (since you seem obsesses by this), I have the ability to listen to 24/96 BT over aptX Adaptive or LDAC on both phone and PC so yes there is a time for that and a time for listening to my CD Rips that I have bought from launch time in 1986 till recently.

It does not matter if a phone has 1TB built in and all you do is stream from music services, it still is not excuse for them dropping the SD slot.

I would be surprised if 99% of the so-called audiophiles (99% of which is snake-oil like their over expensive cables are earth loop boxed) could pass a hearing test that I can even a few weeks ago esp. if they are older (I am 51) so doubt they can tell the different from a CD at 16/44.1k to 24/96k-24/192k (All FLAC).

P.S I speak for myself, but you seem to feel you speak for others.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #51,199 of 63,071
That doesn't really make sense. On my 256 GB pixel 7 pro I'm able to store a ton of downloads via Tidal that are lossless for listening offline. So it's actually really important for my phone to have access to good codecs.
I use Bandcamp to download and store music in FLAC. I'm over halfway through my 500GB SD card. There are very few phones on the market I could buy without expandable storage and transfer my music over onto without instantly having no space.

So we can assume manufacturers want services like Tidal or like the other 3 services to carry the load for them.

And we can see some manufacturers scrambling to put all this technology into their devices that allow hi res playback. Think of all that R&D. But they won't give people the option of storing the music that they own in any significant quantity nor will they revert back to the simplest and cheapest method of hi res playback, a 3.5 aux port.

If any industry exemplifies the saying "they will own nothing and they will be happy" it is the mobile industry.

Feb 17, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #51,200 of 63,071
Do not assume I do not have Hi Res files *since you seem obsesses by this), I have the ability to listen to 24/96 BT over aptX Adaptive or LDAC on both phone and PC so yes there is a time for that and a time for listening to my CD Rips that I have bought from launch time in 1986 till recently.

It does not matter if a phone has 1TB built in and all you do is stream from music services, it still is not excuse for them dropping the SD slot.

I would be surprised if 99% of the so-called audiophiles (99% of which is snake-oil like their over expensive cables are earth loop boxed) could pass a hearing test that I can even a few weeks ago esp. if they are older (I am 51) so doubt they can tell the different from a CD at 16/44.1k to 24/96k-24/192k (All FLAC).

P.S I speak for myself, but you seem to feel you speak for others.

Again, all fantastic for you. But again, your statement that hi res codecs are stupid (not needed) unless there is removable storage, is just plain wrong.

As long as manufacturers insist on removing expandable storage I don't see the point in allowing hi res playback. They are so inbetween knowing what they want their phones to be used for.

Non removable storage and high end codecs work for a lot of people. And yes I can speak for a lot of people, because a lot of people want better codecs on these forums so they can listen to higher end audio on their phones, and most people have newer phones that don't have removable storage. That's wonderful that for you you can speak for everyone else AND to phone manufacturers telling people that there is no point in allowing hi res playback without removable storage, and they don't know what they are making phones for without both hi res codecs and removable storage.

I said nothing of FLAC vs CD. I said lossless vs not lossless. I am 47 and I can hear the difference plain as day between Spotify 320kbps MPR streaming and Tidal HiFi lossless - because I subscribe to both sometimes and A/B the same tracks on the same headphones side by side.

Again on my 256GB Pixel 7 pro I had close to 1,000 tracks of Tidal HiFI loaded onto my phone and plenty of room leftover for gigs of podcasts and tons of photos. I am sad for you that all that space is not enough for you because, as you point out, it can't hold ALL your CD's at once. But please stop speaking for audiophile consumers AND phone manufacturers that what they want and enjoy and doing is pointless.

It's ironic you are telling me apparently I know I speak for others, when my whole point was, your statement was the worst of that kind of statement of all.

Feb 17, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #51,201 of 63,071
I use Bandcamp to download and store music in FLAC. I'm over halfway through my 500GB SD card. There are very few phones on the market I could buy without expandable storage and transfer my music over onto without instantly having no space.

So we can assume manufacturers want services like Tidal or like the other 3 services to carry the load for them.

And we can see some manufacturers scrambling to put all this technology into their devices that allow hi res playback. Think of all that R&D. But they won't give people the option of storing the music that they own in any significant quantity nor will they revert back to the simplest and cheapest method of hi res playback, a 3.5 aux port.

If any industry exemplifies the saying "they will own nothing and they will be happy" it is the mobile industry.

So don't buy a new phone. Get a portable music player with removable storage. Stop telling others that because it doesn't work for YOU that it doesn't work for others, when clearly it does. I mean it's fine if you want a phone with removable storage, but I don't appreciate being told by people that hi res audio is pointless without removable storage on a phone.

You. Are. Just. Wrong. and speaking for a lot of people working well with what we have.

Feb 17, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #51,202 of 63,071
You really do like to repeat like a parrot and keep with this "WE" and "US" spiel, and you attitude stinks to the above poster also, so I am done with you because you are big, mouthed fool who no doubt cannot back it up so best keep it shut.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #51,204 of 63,071
^^ Will need look at that as I do not use the EQ for them on PC or Android but if I did need to for lower quality files, I would probably just use PowerAmps own EQ as one of if not the best (do a standalone EQ also)

I prefer V to W EQ for daily use on my other buds.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #51,205 of 63,071
That's fantastic. It doesn't work for you because you must have your entire collection otherwise there is no point for high end codecs to you. So don't buy a new phone.

My point is for many of us 256 GB or even for some superpower users 512 gigabytes is way more than enough storage to warrant having high quality codecs, which you said was pointless if they don't have removable storage.

Well there's plenty of storage for a lot of lossless music with those kind of storage numbers. There's a lot of people that want those high and codecs on their phones. I mean just look at any head fi form that talks about it people want to listen to music and high quality. They're not going to deprive themselves of that because there is no removable storage and they don't need to carry their entire collection at all times and for many of us having 100 hours of lossless music is plenty for our day-to-day going about. I'm sorry it doesn't work for you.
I'm one of those users here.
Asus ROG Phone 6 Pro 512gb
Over 3,500 songs downloaded from Tidal
20 or so TWS on hand
Many high res codecs to enjoy: Aptx Adaptive, Snapdragon Sound, Aptx Lossless and LDAC. LHDC 5.0 also peeks my interest

Feb 18, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #51,206 of 63,071
You really do like to repeat like a parrot and keep with this "WE" and "US" spiel, and you attitude stinks to the above poster also, so I am done with you because you are big, mouthed fool who no doubt cannot back it up so best keep it shut.
You just got logically owned and out debated. That guy was defending your ridiculous point if view so I told him so I'm sorry your feelings are hurt. I just quoted your own words.

Now stop telling audiophile consumers and phone makers and speaking for them by saying hi res codecs are pointless without removable storage.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #51,207 of 63,071
I'm using the Soundcore A40, and it can reach 8 hours with ANC on (and some 10 hours with ANC off). It's slightly bulbous on my ears though, i can wear them sleeping sideways, but not with my ears straight flush on the pillow.

If ANC not needed, the older Soundcore Dot 3i could get 8 hours (and around 7 hours with ANC on). It's not as bulbous, and has a more wider form, so it would lay more flush at least on my ears. Also this one uses physical buttons instead of touch, so no accidental button pushing.

I like both of them and i think they are really worth their price
Thanks to each of you who weighed in with sleep buds advice. Ordered the soundcore A40 and will give them a shot

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #51,208 of 63,071
As long as manufacturers insist on removing expandable storage I don't see the point in allowing hi res playback. They are so inbetween knowing what they want their phones to be used for.

I can't share your way of thinking because first, with a good android smartphone like a Z Fold4 :
-> you can connect any ultra compact 2 to 4tb SSD drive to the smartphone and get far more space for music than any SD card
-> for a few years now, you acces to unlimited Qobuz Hires streaming and be able to store playlists offline on the 1TB internal memory of a Z Fold4,
-> you can easily access your own home server full of hires ldac/dsf files anywhere on the the world with Bubbleupnp Sever + Minimserver/foobar/Kody (windows/synology/etc..)..

For me, I use DAP like WM1A only for the 20hours battery playing time in LDAC BT receiver mode from my Z Fold4, otherwise it's a real pain with all my daps to change SD cards and rebuild music library every time.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #51,209 of 63,071
I can't share your way of thinking because first, with a good android smartphone like a Z Fold4 :
-> you can connect any ultra compact 2 to 4tb SSD drive to the smartphone and get far more space for music than any SD card
-> for a few years now, you acces to unlimited Qobuz Hires streaming and be able to store playlists offline on the 1TB internal memory of a Z Fold4,
-> you can easily access your own home server full of hires ldac/dsf files anywhere on the the world with Bubbleupnp Sever + Minimserver/foobar/Kody (windows/synology/etc..)..

For me, I use DAP like WM1A only for the 20hours battery playing time in LDAC BT receiver mode from my Z Fold4, otherwise it's a real pain with all my daps to change SD cards and rebuild music library every time.
I see what you're saying and for your use-case that method actually makes more sense. However it's still a lot more steps involved to listen to your library.

For me tws are about being in the go, so connecting an SSD is the antithesis of convenience.

I suppose my use case with Bandcamp is as unique as yours so I can't expect manufacturers to meet my needs, the majority of users are happy with a streaming service.

My problem is more on principle. All this effort for high-res BT Codecs implies to me that they care at least somewhat about high quality playback. But they nerf the device and method already capable of this to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars implementing an inferior version to be played via an inferior streaming service OR through a series of subscription services all because they don't want to spend the extra $50 to expand onboard memory OR to use their existing technology.

I mean has a single person ever complained about expandable memory or an AUX connection?

To me, this just seems like manufacturers can't decide what they want to be. Hi-res capable but only kinda. Full of memory but only sort of. Fantastic Bluetooth connectivity for audio but dependant on several specific factors.

In the meantime they have no problem cramming 4 new pixels into their device which they've figured out how to bend in half. I suppose they have a long term plan and I just can't see it. But their long term plan seems like a one size fits all approach.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back