Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 27, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #49,006 of 62,639
I am thinking of getting the Fokus Pro.

I think the EX has spectacular detail, separation, depth and soundstage, so for those who have heard both the EX and Fokus Pro, is the Fokus Pro at least as good as the EX, especially in depth/soundstage?

And I know this is apples to oranges, but would you compare the Fokus Pro to the sound, detail, treble and soundstage of the HD800s, or to the (to my ears, veiled) HD650? My old ears don't hear as well as they used to and they appreciate the treble being a bit forward.

Nov 27, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #49,007 of 62,639
Hey guys! What are some of the wireless IEMs with more towards neutral/flat/unbiased sound (without a significant emphasis on bass, as most IEMs, and without neglecting mids - no significant V shape) available on the market for under $150? Ideally, with the LDAC support, or at least some aptX is ok.
I suggest looking at the fine lists at https://www.scarbir.com/ There are several there that I think meet your criteria

Nov 27, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #49,008 of 62,639
Hey guys! What are some of the wireless IEMs with more towards neutral/flat/unbiased sound (without a significant emphasis on bass, as most IEMs, and without neglecting mids - no significant V shape) available on the market for under $150? Ideally, with the LDAC support, or at least some aptX is ok.
People on this site are probably sick of me recommending this brand, but the most nuetral and beautiful sound I've heard for what you want is the Nuarl N6 Pro 2 or N6 Mini / 2se if you want something smaller.

Aptx and ipx7. Mini is the most comfortable I've tried. Just ordered another pair cause I lost my last ones.

There is no ANC but natural isolation is better than some cheap brands ANC.

Their sound is quite beautiful, really the best mids and treble I've heard at the price range.

Nov 27, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #49,009 of 62,639
Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.

Damn my needs.it has been literally years since I was on Headfi.

I have been a headfi junkie. But since I got married I tend not to use headphones anymore.

So lately my go to headphones are the Sony WH-1000XM4. Ever since the first one…I fell in one with Sony headphones and have kept buying them. The combination of sound, ANC and convenience BT…blew me away. I also really used to its sound signature.
At home I use the Qjays as my go to IEM and the Shure 940 when I listen to music.

But this headphone has 1 drawback. It’s to big and not as convenient to carry around. Also ANC in the street can be rather scary.

So now because of Black Friday i wanted to buy myself some cheap TWS . Wow I am surprised how cheap I can go to find a decent TWS earphones. This will be used on my IPhone 13 Pro along with Spotify.

I want good sound, safe for sweat and rain(minimum ip4) and comfortable with solid battery life. ANC is not a must.

The basis was the wf-1000xm4. Leading in class with sound and ANC. But as ANC is not important to me it’s definite out of my budget.

After reading reviews I knew that with the discounts offered on Black Friday I was looking at around 50€.

My shortlist is as follows:

1) CA Melomania 1plus at €50,00.
Been listening to it. Sound is good, but ear buds is not as comfortable in my ears. Also have had some issues with the first pair so that I had to return it.

2) Sony WF C 500 at €50,00 a stripped down WF 1000xm4 according to reviews and quite highly regarded.
With a sound signature close to my Sony XM4 it interest me.

3) JBL tune tws 230 NC at € 45 is quite interesting. Not sure about the JBL sound signature though. To Bassey?

4) Jabra elite 4 active at 69€.
At my budget this is to expensive for what imam getting. Also as I use Apple this doesn’t have AAC. So I think this will be a pass.

Edit: 5) after reading Scarbor Review I bought the Samsung Buds Live has been reduced to 49€.
I am afraid that it’s only IP2.
But imam interested because it’s not an IEM.
I forgot to add that I stopped with headfi due to my ears getting easily irritated. I used to use headphones in one form or another formate than 14 hours a day. Definitely not healthy for my ears.

I read Scabir list and I am surprised so many unknown TWS are tops on his list. Only Melomania is a known for me.

With my choices and current budget…which would you recommend?
I am interested to other suggestions within my budget or higher…

Thank you for reading and aI appreciate your feedback.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #49,010 of 62,639

I have been a headfi junkie. But since I got married I tend not to use headphones anymore.

So lately my go to headphones are the Sony WH-1000XM4. Ever since the first one…I fell in one with Sony headphones and have kept buying them. The combination of sound, ANC and convenience BT…blew me away. I also really used to its sound signature.
At home I use the Qjays as my go to IEM and the Shure 940 when I listen to music.

But this headphone has 1 drawback. It’s to big and not as convenient to carry around. Also ANC in the street can be rather scary.

So now because of Black Friday i wanted to buy myself some cheap TWS . Wow I am surprised how cheap I can go to find a decent TWS earphones. This will be used on my IPhone 13 Pro along with Spotify.

I want good sound, safe for sweat and rain(minimum ip4) and comfortable with solid battery life. ANC is not a must.

The basis was the wf-1000xm4. Leading in class with sound and ANC. But as ANC is not important to me it’s definite out of my budget.

After reading reviews I knew that with the discounts offered on Black Friday I was looking at around 50€.

Been listening to it. Sound is good, but ear buds is not as comfortable in my ears. Also have had some issues with the first pair so that I had to return it.

2) Sony WF C 500 at €50,00 a stripped down WF 1000xm4 according to reviews and quite highly regarded.

3) JBL tune tws 230 NC at € 45 is quite interesting. Not sure about the JBL sound signature though. To Bassey?

At my budget this is to expensive for what imam getting. Also as I use Apple this doesn’t have AAC. So I think this will be a pass.

Edit: 5) after reading Scarbor Review I bought the Samsung Buds Live has been reduced to 49€.
I forgot to add that I stopped with headfi due to my ears getting easily irritated. I used to use headphones in one form or another formate than 14 hours a day. Definitely not healthy for my ears.

I read Scabir list and I am surprised so many unknown TWS are tops on his list. Only Melomania is a known for me.

Just my small opinion, if you can find the kenwood ws a1 for around 50-60 bucks then you should try it. Better sound than xm4, better mics, anc is like xm3. The downside is the size.

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #49,013 of 62,639
Just my small opinion, if you can find the kenwood ws a1 for around 50-60 bucks then you should try it. Better sound than xm4, better mics, anc is like xm3. The downside is the size.
Can't find any reviews on the Kenwood. Are they that new or what? You mentioned they have better sound than xm4 and anc like xm3. That's quite a complement! It has aptx, 3 mics, 8hrs runtime, Bluetooth 5.2, 10mm drivers, etc for $80. Why is it completely under the radar? Has anyone else tried them??

I only see one dealer also: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1713061-REG/kenwood_usa_wsa1g_smart_headset_with_google.html

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #49,014 of 62,639
Can't find any reviews on the Kenwood. Are they that new or what? You mentioned they have better sound than xm4 and anc like xm3. That's quite a complement! It has aptx, 3 mics, 8hrs runtime, Bluetooth 5.2, 10mm drivers, etc for $80. Why is it completely under the radar? Has anyone else tried them??

I only see one dealer also: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1713061-REG/kenwood_usa_wsa1g_smart_headset_with_google.html
I have it and it is a very capable one better than the every buds I heard including the eq, xm4, n400nc

Nov 28, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #49,015 of 62,639

They look huge, no LDAC..
I imagine the Jabra Elite 7 pro are much more tiny, with a very good sound quality and more than 10 hours playing time on one charge without anc..

Nov 28, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #49,016 of 62,639
They look huge, no LDAC..
I imagine the Jabra Elite 7 pro are much more tiny, with a very good sound quality and more than 10 hours playing time on one charge without anc..
The kenwood released in 2020 so ldac wasn't that available yet but the sound is much better than many nowadays buds. They have beryllium drivers which only for the high end products but they only cost around 60-80 bucks

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #49,017 of 62,639
@Mors I went Fiio all the way on my setup FH5 and UTWS5 and love that combo. I got the FH5 at a bit of a discount so it cost me about $500CAD all together.

I am not very up to date on IEM models and brands these days so can't offer a lot of help unfortunately.

I know some members here prefer to FH3 over the FH5 and lots like IEMs like the Blessing and Starfield (might have that name wrong).

I went UTWS5 but the Shure BT adapter might be more refined for features and functionality.

You might also want to try the Fiio FW5 if your willing to take a risk. It's brand new though with no reviews yet and has to be ordered from AlieExpress. I am thinking it might end up being a great TWS as it looks to be based on the FH3 for drivers. I personally don't like the mess of ordering from over seas so am waiting until it's more commercially available.
Great! Now you have Bluetooth hook. Oh wait…FiiO…MMCX.. anyway they should have 2pin adapters readily available.

If you find FH5 is not satisfying your needs, give HEXA a try, it cost less than half price of UTW5. For Single Dynamic, Starfield is a great, but not best one now. Aria (black original, right now it’s like $64) will be better options for a single dynamic to try.
NOT ARIA SE(because it’s basically remodeled Starfield/KXXS with CNT drivers in ).
If you liked HEXA, and want a further upgrade, Moondrop’s Variation ($460 with Black Friday sale) is an upgrade options to consider.

And if you are feeling in need of more layering / detail retrieval, Thieaudio Monarch MKII may fit that ultimate push. Beyond that point I guess it will be pay $1k over few percentages of improvements, diminished return regions.

Nov 28, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #49,018 of 62,639

Personally, I would recommend the QCY HT05 (aka Melobuds ANC). In Europe, you can get them from here for €40 (use the shop's app to receive a 10% discount):
https://top4mobile.eu/Catalogue/433/airpods-and-alternatives/55913/qcy-ht05-tws-earphones-white

Then install the QCY-app and configure the in-device EQ as suggested here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...e-we-there-yet.861024/page-3216#post-17194090

I have more expensive TWS (e.g. the JVC FW1000T) and a bunch of IEMs on BT-adapters, but the HT05 is the one I use most. As an overall budget-friendly package, with good fit, sound, anc and configurable controls, it's very hard to beat imo.

Nov 28, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #49,019 of 62,639

Users who are viewing this thread

Back