Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 17, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #46,712 of 62,691
Yeah, I was surprised by your sound leakage observation. The EX have huge sound leakage in my case. As already stated the wife called the EX "party mode" when I listened to them at fairly loud levels. She hasn't complained about the Free Byrd yet but, and that's probably the reason, I don't have any fit issues with them whatsoever. I have to use size M in the left and L in the right ear but I had that with other TWS as well in the past. Took me a while to figure out the best combination with these but now they're really great. I like that the silicone on the provided tips is "stiffer", thicker, whatever than e.g. on the MTW3. Always fits my ears better that way.
I'm still playing around here. Still can't find the perfect fit. Happens to me every time I use this form factor :frowning2:

Jul 17, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #46,713 of 62,691
I'm still playing around here. Still can't find the perfect fit. Happens to me every time I use this form factor :frowning2:
Do the Free Byrd stick out too much? I feel it may not work for side-sleeping

Jul 17, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #46,714 of 62,691
They do stick out more than others. It really depends on what tips you use. But, they wouldn’t be my first choice for side sleeping.

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #46,715 of 62,691
Okay, so now to decide what earbuds I'm getting after my next paycheck. Based on reviews and the hype here I'm suddenly interested in the Beyerdynamic Free Byrds, and I'm still interested in the Linkbuds S and the 1more Evos, anyone tried all 3 and can give a small comparison/recommendation? @erockg - I think I seem to recall you trying all of them, right?

I'm still currently leaning Linkbuds S because they seem to have the best ANC out of the three, and I already have two earbuds I like the sound of but feel like they have lacking ANC (Liberty 3 Pro + Galaxy Buds Pro) and then one with good ANC but where the audio doesn't sound that great to me (Devialet Gemini), but in the end sound quality is my #1 thing for earbuds after all.

Jul 18, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #46,716 of 62,691
Okay, so after using the Liberty 3 Pro for a couple of days now at least, i'm REALLY liking them.
Using Wavelet I think they sound up there with the best I've used. The soundstage and separation is probably the most impressive thing about them to my ears. There's depth to the sound, and the sound really sounds like it's coming from outside of your head and not just the whole "in your head"-sound that I especially found annoying with the Sony WF-1000XM3s for an example.
The sound is honestly crisp and exciting and you can really EQ them to your hearts desire, so I find all parts of the frequency range great-sounding, even if I with my current EQ SOMETIMES find that some songs don't sound exactly the way I want... but I still don't want to change the EQ because it sounds SO GOOD for others.
What I've noticed is that they usually sound very good with songs that the Galaxy Buds Pros sound less good with (electronic music, pop) and sounds slightly less good with some of the older 90's classics that I sometimes listen to for nostalgia's sake, but it's just marginally worse.

So far the worst thing about them is that certain songs do have some crackling sounds at least on LDAC, and there's literally nothing that I know of that can predict which songs would have this or not, but I'm not that bothered by it honestly, it's slightly annoying but it's not common enough to make me want to not use the earbuds.
Battery life on LDAC isn't amazing, but it's also not that much worse than my Galaxy Buds Pros on AAC for an example.
For me the fit is good, the L eartips and the preinstalled wingtips are fine, even if my right ear possibly would want the largest wingtip, but I can't bear them looking different from each other lol.
ANC is slightly better than OK, but it seems very inconsistent even when I keep it locked at "high", sometimes it blocks sounds that I wouldn't expect it to, and sometimes it lets through sounds that I thought for sure would be more diminished with the ANC.

Jul 18, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #46,717 of 62,691
Yes, they do. Doesn't look too bad though, in case that's a concern. They're definitely not for side sleeping, mind you.

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #46,718 of 62,691
What's up fellas!? I don't know if you've seen this or related content here on these pages. Who am I kidding it's probably been talked about to death. I haven't been on here lately as I've been silly busy at the website but I saw this from the boys at DHRME. Ya know the YouTube channel. Here is a link to their site giving a kind of an overview of the new LC3 codec. Also they have a link on their page where you can hear actual differences in some of the other codes compared to LC3... Guys it's pretty impressive. Everyone who frequents this page should be at least slightly excited. This will be a game changer for wireless audio. https://www.dhrme.nl/wireless-audio-is-about-to-change-forever/
Take care fellas

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #46,719 of 62,691
Okay, so now to decide what earbuds I'm getting after my next paycheck. Based on reviews and the hype here I'm suddenly interested in the Beyerdynamic Free Byrds, and I'm still interested in the Linkbuds S and the 1more Evos, anyone tried all 3 and can give a small comparison/recommendation? @erockg - I think I seem to recall you trying all of them, right?

I'm still currently leaning Linkbuds S because they seem to have the best ANC out of the three, and I already have two earbuds I like the sound of but feel like they have lacking ANC (Liberty 3 Pro + Galaxy Buds Pro) and then one with good ANC but where the audio doesn't sound that great to me (Devialet Gemini), but in the end sound quality is my #1 thing for earbuds after all.
Honestly, I keep trying the Sony buds. All of them. I even repurchase them thinking I'll fall for them as some point. Sony buds start with a honeymoon phase then that slowly dies out because I prefer other options. I'd say the Linkbuds S are my favorite of the bunch but they've already been replaced. Tons of bells and whistles and the ANC is strong. Not XM4 strong, but close. That said, I prefer the Free Byrd and oddly enough, I've been using the EVO quite often since I got them. Even fell asleep with them last night listening to a book. The 1More app is buggy, but once you get the EVO set up, they're pretty impressive for whatever cheap price you can get them for. The Free Byrd are just plain refined. Everything works. Sound is great. Settled on some Azla tips today and some old school Pantera sounds killer. Not sure if this stream of consciousness helps, but hopefully!

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #46,720 of 62,691
Honestly, I keep trying the Sony buds. All of them. I even repurchase them thinking I'll fall for them as some point. Sony buds start with a honeymoon phase then that slowly dies out because I prefer other options. I'd say the Linkbuds S are my favorite of the bunch but they've already been replaced. Tons of bells and whistles and the ANC is strong. Not XM4 strong, but close. That said, I prefer the Free Byrd and oddly enough, I've been using the EVO quite often since I got them. Even fell asleep with them last night listening to a book. The 1More app is buggy, but once you get the EVO set up, they're pretty impressive for whatever cheap price you can get them for. The Free Byrd are just plain refined. Everything works. Sound is great. Settled on some Azla tips today and some old school Pantera sounds killer. Not sure if this stream of consciousness helps, but hopefully!
Ah, interesting to hear, thanks. Was pretty sure I was getting the Linkbuds S but I'm not so sure anymore.

Unfortunately I haven't seen the 1more Evo for less than about (loosely converted) $180-190 where I'm at, not sure if they're worth that asking price when that's not far from the Free Byrd and about the same as the Linkbuds S.

I usually don't love Sony products either but the Linkbuds S seem to fix many of my issues with the XM3 and XM4s at least.

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #46,721 of 62,691
From a purely musical perspective my Fiio combo sounds leaps ahead of the Linkbuds S but that combo is also ahead of the Gbuds Pro and AZ60 so it is my go to for music when I have time and circumstances to enjoy it.

I bought the Linkbuds S hoping for a sound signature that I would like as compared to other Sony products they have been releasing which are all to dark and bombastic for my liking and have better comfort, bells and whistles etc. In both those areas Sony hit the nail on the head. These sound much better that the WF-1000XM3 and based on everything I have read the XM4 as well. I actually have 129hrs of use on them so far. So they are definitely getting a lot of use. I find my other TWS just sitting since I got these with the Fiio combo coming in a distant second as I find these just more convenient and the signature is good enough for distracted listening (most of my day).

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #46,722 of 62,691
Got my Mee tips in today...
1658194820917.png

Now I totally remember what I don't like about this set. I would really love M/L size in between the S/M/L type. The short Senn style bi-flanges L is actually fine. Would like to have something in between M and L in both the normal single flange and the taller style. Or if the M was bigger on those two that would be another fix.

Still nice tips. Should have thought to have gotten these instead of the EPro. At least the Epro were bought with a gift cards so I didn't use any of my own money.

As far as TWS I get the best sound I have out of the Yamaha. I actually like the longer bi-flange best but they don't really fit in the case. TBH they do and they charge but the lid won't close all the way. I like the Senn style bi-flanges as well on the TW-E5B. Settled on, for my ears a L tall on my left and L normal on my right side. It works for me as the normal L is a bit more tapered on the top and my right side is a smidge smaller than the left.

I can use the longer bi-flange for my Heart Mirror, a barrel type with two-pin than stops insertion at a point so the longer length is great.

Other than the M's being a smidge smaller than best for me, I think it's still true that this is a good set that any Head-fier should have in their fit kit.

Jul 19, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #46,724 of 62,691
Jul 19, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #46,725 of 62,691

https://custom.ultimateears.com/products/ue-drops
What kind of novelty will UE DROPS show in the boring wireless earbuds?
It's finally over $400.
Boring meaning looks? Think some of the EPZ, the FoKus, the new Tin Buds 3 still look better. $449 for just passive, BT5.0, only up to aptX, and no multipoint. Yes custom is great but it needs the SQ to have staying power. The ambient and mics needs to be quality as well. Not convinced just yet and this coming from someone who has purchased close to 10 UE models. Still pretty much the going rate for TWS customs and it does have ambient. They certainly have the market cornered there. Would be nice if they said anything about the innards and the sound signature they are going for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back