Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 19, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #46,726 of 62,439
Boring meaning looks? Think some of the EPZ, the FoKus, the new Tin Buds 3 still look better. $449 for just passive, BT5.0, only up to aptX, and no multipoint. Yes custom is great but it needs the SQ to have staying power. The ambient and mics needs to be quality as well. Not convinced just yet and this coming from someone who has purchased close to 10 UE models. Still pretty much the going rate for TWS customs and it does have ambient. They certainly have the market cornered there. Would be nice if they said anything about the innards and the sound signature they are going for.
I will not be dropping this $ until solid reviews appear and coupon codes exist! If they're anything like the old Bragi Dash Pro Starkey edition, might be worth it. Custom fitted bud, if done right, really are comfortable. I use to swear by UE wired buds for years, before Logitech bought them.

Jul 19, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #46,727 of 62,439
Boring meaning looks? Think some of the EPZ, the FoKus, the new Tin Buds 3 still look better. $449 for just passive, BT5.0, only up to aptX, and no multipoint. Yes custom is great but it needs the SQ to have staying power. The ambient and mics needs to be quality as well. Not convinced just yet and this coming from someone who has purchased close to 10 UE models. Still pretty much the going rate for TWS customs and it does have ambient. They certainly have the market cornered there. Would be nice if they said anything about the innards and the sound signature they are going for.
I will not be dropping this $ until solid reviews appear and coupon codes exist! If they're anything like the old Bragi Dash Pro Starkey edition, might be worth it. Custom fitted bud, if done right, really are comfortable. I use to swear by UE wired buds for years, before Logitech bought them.
Few more specs: 9.2-millimeter dynamic drivers, and have handy features like in-ear sensors for music auto-pause, transparency mode, anda case that supports wireless charging. UE claims battery life at 8 hours per charge, unless you keep transparency mode on, in which case that drops to 5.5 hours. The case holds an additional 14 hours of playtime, for a maximum of 22 hours before you need to plug it in or look for a wireless charger. Codec-wise, the Drops support AAC and aptX.

Jul 19, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #46,728 of 62,439
No doubt $100 to $150 wireless buds can and do sound great. Most use off the shelf components. Maybe even just OEM'ed from some mega factory in China, with some modifications. Even Sony uses custom Silicon from Broadcom... Apple on the other hand is all in on their own chips, but not sure 100%.. I know they're made by TSMC in Taiwan... Apple has the cash to differentiate themselves...
Most TWS use Qualcomm as an ODM, back when buying pre-built super gaming PC ( like Alienware, voodoo pc etc before they got purchased by the big boys). I’m guessing that they get their specs , chassis , etc from Qualcomm and all they do is tune, and maybe add their propriety drivers.

That said it would be cool to see someone like say Oriolous take a crack at it

Jul 19, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #46,729 of 62,439
Few more specs: 9.2-millimeter dynamic drivers, and have handy features like in-ear sensors for music auto-pause, transparency mode, anda case that supports wireless charging. UE claims battery life at 8 hours per charge, unless you keep transparency mode on, in which case that drops to 5.5 hours. The case holds an additional 14 hours of playtime, for a maximum of 22 hours before you need to plug it in or look for a wireless charger. Codec-wise, the Drops support AAC and aptX.
Sounds like a worse Beoplay EX. I’m good.

Jul 19, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #46,730 of 62,439
Jul 19, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #46,731 of 62,439
They don't want a repeat of these kind of titles...
1658244684380.png

Jul 19, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #46,732 of 62,439
They don't want a repeat of these kind of titles...
1658244684380.png
Hopefully, they've learned. I had the Fits. Fit was excellent, but the sound was not IMO. Plus the case was cheap. The buds had mediocre features. On paper, sounds like they fixed some flaws and upped the fit ante. Very curious, but they can't possibly sound as good as my IEMs or some of the latest TWS big guns. But I truly hope they surprise me!

Jul 19, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #46,733 of 62,439
So far the worst thing about them is that certain songs do have some crackling sounds at least on LDAC, and there's literally nothing that I know of that can predict which songs would have this or not, but I'm not that bothered by it honestly, it's slightly annoying but it's not common enough to make me want to not use the earbuds.
Battery life on LDAC isn't amazing, but it's also not that much worse than my Galaxy Buds Pros on AAC for an example.
For me the fit is good, the L eartips and the preinstalled wingtips are fine, even if my right ear possibly would want the largest wingtip, but I can't bear them looking different from each other lol.
ANC is slightly better than OK, but it seems very inconsistent even when I keep it locked at "high", sometimes it blocks sounds that I wouldn't expect it to, and sometimes it lets through sounds that I thought for sure would be more diminished with the ANC.
Any examples of crackling? Not noticing this with LDAC but I get intermittent "crackling" even without playing music regardless of codec and some users were complaining about something similar and suggested it could be due to a defective ANC mic but I'd suspect it is related to the seal or driver flex as I notice it even with ANC off and on other earbuds too. I'm not really noticing it much anymore, but it was pretty annoying when I first used them. Otherwise I wonder if on some devices Bluetooth "dropouts' manifest as crackles rather than cuts. On my Note 9 when dropouts often happen with my phone in my right pocket or my hands cupped near the Bluetooth modem, I find LDAC more prone to blatant cuts while "aliasing"/stretching happens more with AAC.

I really like the raw sharpness with LDAC, but at times I find it overbearing and papery, while AAC sounds a tad grainy lacking the crispness. I read some complaints the in-app EQ is not that good, I would like to use Wavelet more but I find its usage between apps a bit cumbersome and not always detected.

Jul 19, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #46,734 of 62,439
What's up fellas!? I don't know if you've seen this or related content here on these pages. Who am I kidding it's probably been talked about to death. I haven't been on here lately as I've been silly busy at the website but I saw this from the boys at DHRME. Ya know the YouTube channel. Here is a link to their site giving a kind of an overview of the new LC3 codec. Also they have a link on their page where you can hear actual differences in some of the other codes compared to LC3... Guys it's pretty impressive. Everyone who frequents this page should be at least slightly excited. This will be a game changer for wireless audio. https://www.dhrme.nl/wireless-audio-is-about-to-change-forever/
Take care fellas
YAY! finally a reason to buy ALL NEW BUDS !!!!

Gotten a tad boring this summer ... I mean ... I scroll through amazon and there is nothing left I am drooling after .. that I want to save money for ...

Next stop for me: probably the APP2

Jul 19, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #46,736 of 62,439
I am also curious about what Technics does next. The AZ60 certainly have a lot to offer. Between what they already do and new technology coming out like LE if they can shrink down the IEM a bit, throw in wireless, add a sensor or 2 they will be kicking butt!

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #46,738 of 62,439
The definitive difference between the

Falcon ANC

&

The FoKus H - ANC

"H" = hybrid
Thanks. I do know this. Obsessive research a week ago :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back