Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 28, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #4,621 of 62,387
So what's the current status of the MTW? STill no go? No updates to help?
Not sure what you mean—not a single one problem with mine; I love them!

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #4,622 of 62,387
experienced my first disconnections with the m2, when wearing a hat. Annoying, but I guess i gotta brave the weather then

I always wear a hat (Australian bush hat) and have not had any connection problems

Jan 28, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #4,625 of 62,387
I wear a beanie hat, and it covers my ears, i guess its' blocking the connection?

shouldn't be a problem because i use it with a motorcycle helmet and never had disconnection

Jan 28, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #4,627 of 62,387
but the motorcycle helmet encompasses both earbuds, with a beanie hat I lose connection in one bud.

the M2 uses NFMI, so it basically communicates between the units through our head in a direct line. even cupping one or both of them with the palm of our hands won't disconnect the signal

Jan 28, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #4,629 of 62,387
Jan 28, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #4,630 of 62,387
so my pair could be faulty?

try cupping it with your hand. do they disconnect? if they don't and if it only happens with your beanie, i would suggest changing the beanie instead :beyersmile:

Could be that the fabric of the hat interacts with the touch control

this is also a possibility. i sometimes use the M2 with the touch sensors pointing upward or inward to reduce accidental touch. of course it will make access to the buttons harder in exchange

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #4,631 of 62,387

No - Senn better get going to fix all the stuff they say will be fixed by the end of the month. MTW case still has drainage issues. I don't know about the 'crackle' because I never heard it, and as far as my colleagues are concerned, it's the second best sounding for calls behind the MW07.

My thumbnail sketch after two days of on-and-off listening to the M2, MTW and MW07. Remember these are relative differences - for example, I describe the MTWs as if they are more clinical, and they are when compared to the other two. But they're not ER-4Ps.

Overall, I think the MTW still offer the best sound profile, but I will confess it's a preference thing. MTW has more noticeable detail and "snap" to its sound (you could call this "harsh," or "sibilant" if you didn't like it) and slightly wider soundstage. Best way I can describe it is that the individual instruments seem more noticeable on the MTW, more precisely recorded and positioned.

MW07 in contrast has a really nice smooth sound without being cluttered or muddy. It's a less precise sound, but more "natural" feeling. It's slightly less wide and slightly less detailed, but it cymbal crashes and sudden noises won't make you jump if they hit you unawares. And they're so comfortable I actually forget about them. Overall, they're just nicer to listen to for a long period than the other two. Shame about the battery life.

M2 moves the vocal/mids so forward that the detail is harder to hear - it's there but in the background. M2's soundstage is smaller than MW07 or MTW, so sometimes it's hard to hear much other than the vocal track - everything is bunched together. The small, lightweight thing makes them comfortable but they move around a lot and have to be seated. This doesn't happen with the stock Complys, but those make the sound really muddy to me. The change to Spinfits made a huge difference - much more than on the MW07 or MTW.

I will confess that from track to track, my preferences change. M2 sounds great on something like an "unplugged" ballad, since there's not as much going on and the instruments are right next to each other. Something orchestral really benefits from the MTW detail. A heavy rock song benefits from the MW07.

Design-wise, MW07 has them all beat looks by a wide margin. M2 is the most "scifi" gadgety cool, though, with small size, the cylinder case, and the slide out. Both MW07 and M2 are conversation starters. MTW looks kind of klunky and cheap in comparison.

If the case actually has battery, the MTW seems to recharge to full the fastest, followed by the M2 and last the MW07. Conversely, the MW07 case itself recharges the fastest and the MTW the slowest.

If I were sane enough to buy just one pair, I'd go with the M2 at the $175 sale price - the others are not enough better to justify nearly double the price. They're also the most portable. MW07's small case has to be covered in the pouch or it will look like you took sandpaper to it in days, which offsets it's realtively compact size. The MTW case is relatively huge and drains battery when moved. The M2 case is durable, well-shaped for travel, and compact.

Then again, if you spend a lot of time thinking about your hair and sunglasses, get the MW07 in one of the "colorways." People will ask you about them and deep down that's really what you want. Plus they sound great and are really comfortable, so need to suffer for fashion.

Sound quality aside, it's really hard to recommend the MTW due to it's overall issue set - I feel like we're beta testing them. If they get fixed, then it's a different story.

If you can swing it, I'd say buy all three and figure it out for yourself. You can easily return or sell the other two. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #4,632 of 62,387
No updates yet. If they update, I may repurchase, as they are a fun sounding, forward earbud, although the plasticy construction and case give me pause. If I remember correctly, you are into rock/metal, for which the MW07 definitely bests the MTW. Comparing the 2 whilst listening to Van Halen, Def Leppard, Scorpions, etc. the MTW have a tendency to sound a bit "cluttered", while the MW07 sound great with excellent instrument separation & transparency.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #4,633 of 62,387
No updates yet. If they update, I may repurchase, as they are a fun sounding, forward earbud, although the plasticy construction and case give me pause. If I remember correctly, you are into rock/metal, for which the MW07 definitely bests the MTW. Comparing the 2 whilst listening to Van Halen, Def Leppard, Scorpions, etc. the MTW have a tendency to sound a bit "cluttered", while the MW07 sound great with excellent instrument separation & transparency.

How would you compare them aside from separation/imaging? I'm thinking like response curve and "impact".

Jan 28, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #4,634 of 62,387
Sometimes, I think I'm just buying Chi-Fi TWEs to test out for @turbobb. Just picked up a re-brand of the Raycon TWEs, that you may have seen in YouTube ads being promoted by celebrities. Interestingly, you can basically re-brand them yourself if you buy in bulk at Alibaba.com. I'm sure this is the route of many "kickstarter" campaigns; basically raise enough funds to buy a bulk order that's customized to a degree.

PROS
- Excellent noise floor. Surprised here, since many "budget" Chi-Fi TWEs have a slightly higher noise floor.
- Very comfortable and secure. Doesn't look like it, but they are fantastically comfortable. Some of the best I've tried, actually. Perfect for the gym.
- Clean sound. Apparently, they use the Airoha AB1526P SoC which has AAC (see my issue below). Thumpy bass, smooth mids, and tastefully rolled off highs. Pleasant listening experience.
- Small form factor. Case is very compact (see comparison to the MW07 below) and also comes with a microfiber pouch. Very on-the-go friendly.
- The design reduces pressure when using the MF buttons on each earbud. They don't get "jammed" in your ear.

CONS
- I can't get my s8 to use AAC, it's defaulting to SBC (Developer Options).
- Not the most transparent.
- Micro USB.
- They don't auto power on when removed from the case (they do power off when placed into the case).

IMG_2074.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #4,635 of 62,387
How would you compare them aside from separation/imaging? I'm thinking like response curve and "impact".
Sheer impact, the MTW win. Very forward and aggressive sound signature. Reminds me of being in a club.

As far as frequency response, rtings.com has some measurements that seem to jive with what I hear (low treble region and classic 10ish kHz spike). You can EQ with the app, but it's the cheesy dot EQ, so when you're adjusting one area, you lose another. Better off using the EQ in Spotify for strictly music, but on the flip-side, the settings aren't saved in the earbuds themselves. All-in-all, they are a warm earbud with some added push in the sibilance region.

Capture.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back