Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 8, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #46,066 of 62,660
Smabat is going for the whole shooting match with their crowd funded upcoming release M4. Wired flathead earbuds, IEM and true wireless module.

1654600450125935.jpg
1654600443882270.jpg
These look so interesting but I genuinely would love to know more about the true wireless module functionality

Jun 8, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #46,067 of 62,660
Lots of open stuff coming out lately. The BOSE, Linkbuds, Oladance, Nearphones, ARC, Acreo openbuds, etc. Not quite sure they are worth the price tag but I did want a wireless open style. So, I grabbed a pair of Smabat M Pro for $25 to put on my Hiby WU1. Open box, good price and looked pretty much like new so good on that front. Also, after reading up they sounded right for BT as far as the tuning. So far quite good. They have some sub bass and with foams quite fine for bass amount and reach and pretty rich. better than I thought. Mids a bit sensitive to EQ with buds so they move up and back more than an in ear but you do get a more open sound with buds. Good part is they don't need little bass added really so less chance to push the mids back. Still a bit bright up top even after an BT high cut. Crisp detailed and airy but maybe some presets can be a little harsh but again we are on the other end from the consumer smooth TWS sound and there is no need to liven up the highs here. I doubt any of the open offerings would sound as good nor can they convert to wired if needed. Also $100 total is cheaper than most of the other options as well.:)
IMG_1966.JPG
They also remind me of an old minidisc player I used to have...
1654710404266.png:)
I have not heard those, but if they are anything like the M2s Pro, they are pretty great (though the M2s Pro has a quick change harness to change drivers, and filters to make them sound different). The ST10S gold (150Ohm) are like the M2s Pro but with much better bass IMO. Having an MMCX changeable cable on flathead buds makes them even more valuable, because you can use those BT adapters on them.
These look so interesting but I genuinely would love to know more about the true wireless module functionality
You should keep your eye on this thread as the release time nears. I am pretty sure they will be discussed (in depth) when the drop. :)

Jun 8, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #46,068 of 62,660
I have not heard those, but if they are anything like the M2s Pro, they are pretty great (though the M2s Pro has a quick change harness to change drivers, and filters to make them sound different). The ST10S gold (150Ohm) are like the M2s Pro but with much better bass IMO. Having an MMCX changeable cable on flathead buds makes them even more valuable, because you can use those BT adapters on them.

You should keep your eye on this thread as the release time nears. I am pretty sure they will be discussed (in depth) when the drop. :)
Two things I would worry about. Moisture protection for the TWS module? and fit with TWS module using flathead style. Over the ears locks the M Pro in and I can also use the Senn fins for sport...
IMG_1967.JPG
Straight down I have issues in my right ear. The right side being not as stable and moving some and losing bass making them go out of balance is a concern.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #46,069 of 62,660
Two things I would worry about. Moisture protection for the TWS module? and fit with TWS module using flathead style. Over the ears locks the M Pro in and I can also use the Senn fins for sport...
IMG_1967.JPG
Straight down I have issues in my right ear. The right side being not as stable and moving some and losing bass making them go out of balance is a concern.
You definitely picked a good brand for being versatile. Unlike a lot of other flathead buds, these were designed to be worn over ear OR straight down if you like. Heck the ST10S Gold actually come with an over-ear cable only... :)

I like the setup you have for these. They look comfy!

Jun 8, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #46,070 of 62,660
You definitely picked a good brand for being versatile. Unlike a lot of other flathead buds, these were designed to be worn over ear OR straight down if you like. Heck the ST10S Gold actually come with an over-ear cable only... :)

I like the setup you have for these. They look comfy!
I knew the Hiby is two pin but I had those adapters that both shroud over the hiby connectors and protect them and add the right length for over the ear so they don't pull out at all. Then I noticed the little machined ring they have and the size of the Senn fins and they work like they were made for each other. Comfy, stable, and worked out as well as I hoped. Even turns the labyrinth maze vent away from facing up which should be safer for any moisture.

Jun 8, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #46,071 of 62,660

Yeah, I think the TWS module is still a work in progress and Smabat hasn't released any news / specs yet. Just speculation, from the looks of it the TWS module (just like the wired base) can be used for either IEM or Bud modules. Eh, just did a search for a Smabat FCC bluetooth filing, but no hits.

Jun 8, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #46,072 of 62,660

Thank you 😄😄😄

Jun 8, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #46,073 of 62,660
A quick update on my beoplay EX. I'm no longer getting battery drain on the case. Weird but it seemed to work itself out. Left case fully charged and after 24 hrs it was still 100%.

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #46,074 of 62,660
1654762252639.png

Got the Sony Linkbuds S today. I like the sound signature, elevated treble and sub bass is prominent. Mids are clear too. The size of the buds are very small, the case size too.

A weird phenomenon I get is the buds will sometimes go to mono when I pair with another device and switch back to the original device.

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #46,075 of 62,660
1654762252639.png
Got the Sony Linkbuds S today. I like the sound signature, elevated treble and sub bass is prominent. Mids are clear too. The size of the buds are very small, the case size too.

A weird phenomenon I get is the buds will sometimes go to mono when I pair with another device and switch back to the original device.
On a somewhat similar note; maybe just me, but the buds will sometimes kick back to my phone when I'm on a call. Other times, I'll completely lose the ability to use touch controls until I pop them back in.....no software updates have fixed this yet.

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #46,076 of 62,660
To any that may be interested; aviots arrived today, and my lord.....once I fiddled with the eq (there's an app but you've gotta grab the apk if you're not in Japan as far as I can tell) it sounded.....mmph. Early days, but the fit is dang solid as well. I'm wiggling my ears and while they move around, they haven't fallen out yet. Touch controls are great thus far, and you can customize them too (no shortcut for assistant use that I can find though); still need to walk around with these and call someone, but as first thoughts go.....these are really REALLY doing it for me.

I will say that ambient doesn't sound the greatest, though, but time will tell.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #46,077 of 62,660
On a somewhat similar note; maybe just me, but the buds will sometimes kick back to my phone when I'm on a call. Other times, I'll completely lose the ability to use touch controls until I pop them back in.....no software updates have fixed this yet.
I experienced the call switching back to the phone when on a phone call too. I thought it was because the buds were updating the firmware hence the switching. So it's a bug. I haven't experienced the touch issue yet though, maybe it will show up soon. I'm liking the sound signature and size for now though.

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #46,078 of 62,660
have some question, already ask this in some other forums but dont get good answer

so currently my only portable cans is galaxys buds 2, the rest is desktop setup with headphone .... i use buds 2 only for workout and mainly for watching film while cardio, and didnt listen to music while doing weight cause buds 2 anc isnt that good to me, and the music at my gym is too loud ... but dont really mind cause its hotel gym and barely any people there and i can request music

but now i kinda miss listening with iem (used to own b2, oxygen, mangird tea) , and maybe need to travel often for works in the future ... and currently im interested in sony wf xm4 and linkbuds s
so does both of them give great improvement from buds 2? how's the anc compare to buds 2?

or maybe is better buy good iem like shuoer s12 & timeless and stay with buds 2 or just buy xm4? and my portable source is s21 & poco f3, but gonna use f3 more often
and i listen to all genre , but my easy to go music is pop, rock, and orchestra

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #46,079 of 62,660
have some question, already ask this in some other forums but dont get good answer

so currently my only portable cans is galaxys buds 2, the rest is desktop setup with headphone .... i use buds 2 only for workout and mainly for watching film while cardio, and didnt listen to music while doing weight cause buds 2 anc isnt that good to me, and the music at my gym is too loud ... but dont really mind cause its hotel gym and barely any people there and i can request music

but now i kinda miss listening with iem (used to own b2, oxygen, mangird tea) , and maybe need to travel often for works in the future ... and currently im interested in sony wf xm4 and linkbuds s
so does both of them give great improvement from buds 2? how's the anc compare to buds 2?

or maybe is better buy good iem like shuoer s12 & timeless and stay with buds 2 or just buy xm4? and my portable source is s21 & poco f3, but gonna use f3 more often
and i listen to all genre , but my easy to go music is pop, rock, and orchestra
It's up to you whatever use case works best for you. The Galaxy Buds 2 have a dif sound sig than the XM4's. I would call the Xm4 an upgrade for sure if you figure in the whole package. As far as just getting another set of iems, you will always get better sonic fidelity going that route however obviously not as portable. Truthfully there is just sooo many tws iems out there that perform very well. It's all up to you man. What makes the most sense for your life. You could also always get an iem and purchase an adapter like the Fiio Utws3 or Utws5. Or I use quite alot my IFi Go Blu or Qudelix 5k with an iem and that is bonkers nice

Jun 9, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #46,080 of 62,660
JVC trying to beat JBL in the race to release the most TWS. At it again with the XC72T.
1654778264051.png

https://www.jvc.com/jp/headphone/lineup/ha-xc72t/

So, just recently they have put out the Riptidz TWS, Nearphones, new XX, and the HA-A30T. Add the Kenwood as well for 5 in the last month.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back