Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 21, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #45,541 of 62,589
They could and should, but I could not wait that long as the 30 days would be up for the return and as I said other aspects of them were not to my liking, so I see no real changes in the EVO and the addition of LDAC is only needed if listening to Hi-Res and it eats battery, has poor range but nice to have but not in place of aptX Adaptive.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #45,542 of 62,589
Posted this in another thread but felt it might be relevant here;

Sennheiser contacted me and I reviewed the 1st generation MTW. The MTW have, IMO, always had the best sound quality of the upper end TW available. The signature has always checked my box. Enter the TW2, continued on in the tradition and delivered the goods on sound quality, loved the app and the fit.

Now the #3.

I have some thoughts and impressions. This won't be extensive. Sound quality is great, just slightly better than the TW2 when I can find the sweet spot with the seal. Controls are much more sensitive on the TW3. Price reduction is a major thumbs up!

I enjoyed the app updates I saw with TW2, very similar to the TW3, but now registration is required is you want to use all of the features, minor inconvenience, but not sure why? Also, I only and always utilized the "high end sound tuning slider", great tuning. it is non-existent with the TW3. I don't use eq ever, but for those folks that do 3-sliders is actually worthless.

I need to add I also owned the CX, which is closer in fit to the TW3, but I think it was a hair larger. My issue with the TW3 is the fit. After trying all iterations, I have removed the fins, I would put them back on if I was working out. The L ear tip is always my go to, for comparison with my IEMs I use LL Final E tips (when I choose Final tips). With the nozzle length and design of the shell I need to work to achieve a seal on the TW3. Deep insertion is impossible. If there was a LL if it would be fine. Please don't recommend Comply tips, I won't even bother as I have never had good luck with them and don't like what they do to the sound. I have pulled both of my organizers filled with tips, but the Spinfit CP360 and the Final negatively impact the sound IMO.

The reason seal is critical on the TW3, as on my in-ears is for sound quality, to achieve the best bass response. It is even more critical to achieve proper seal with these because it effects more than SQ. Since this is a shallow fit monitor, pushing them in too far to achieve seal will ultimately block microphones and will cause you to sound muffled to the person you are speaking to on the other end. Seal is also completely necessary for ANC. If anyone is struggling with fit, but wants to try to make them work, make sure the bass boost slider is on in the EQ tab. Bass creates a natural isolation to outside noise.

This is not to discourage anyone, just my findings. My brother, who I made a Senn loyalist, has them as well and absolutely loves them

My 2 cents.

I have had an evening with the B&O EX. I still have the TW3 with me but will definitely be returning the TW3. I posted the long post above and am surprised I am shifting the from the TW3, as I have been a follower since the OG TW. If it wasn't for my fit issues I probably never would have tried others as I have always felt the Sennheiser was the pinnacle of sq in the TW's. Not comparing anything else, only sq.

The one thing really going against the EX is the price tag, it is difficult to not allow buyer's remorse to creep into your thoughts. I have no remorse, so my thoughts are based on the product alone.

From the case to the buds themselves, it is a premium product. I don't EQ, and I will say the out of box sound is captivating. Know that they only include one size of Comply, if you are a Comply user, I am not.

Feel free to ask any questions as a comparison to the TW3. The only question I can't answer is whether it is worth the price, or the difference in price between the TW3. That is totally subjective.

20220521_080729.jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #45,543 of 62,589
A little collective brainwashing in here now? MTW3 was soo good at first, but now everyone's hating them, and returning en mass :)

I can't return them, but will sell them secondhand if the Spinfit CP1025 doesn't help me with the fit and SQ. Flexifit is comfortable and secure, but "ruins" the sound and ANC.
I need short tips. Normal ones gives me trouble as earlier stated. Any other suggestions than CP1025?

May 21, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #45,544 of 62,589
A little collective brainwashing in here now? MTW3 was soo good at first, but now everyone's hating them, and returning en mass :)

I can't return them, but will sell them secondhand if the Spinfit CP1025 doesn't help me with the fit and SQ. Flexifit is comfortable and secure, but "ruins" the sound and ANC.
I need short tips. Normal ones gives me trouble as earlier stated. Any other suggestions than CP1025?
I'm still loving them :) Haven't sold them yet and won't sell them anytime soon.

May 21, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #45,545 of 62,589
Can someone explain to me why I'm buying the Sony linkbuds s?

May 21, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #45,546 of 62,589
Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #45,547 of 62,589
I have had an evening with the B&O EX. I still have the TW3 with me but will definitely be returning the TW3. I posted the long post above and am surprised I am shifting the from the TW3, as I have been a follower since the OG TW. If it wasn't for my fit issues I probably never would have tried others as I have always felt the Sennheiser was the pinnacle of sq in the TW's. Not comparing anything else, only sq.

The one thing really going against the EX is the price tag, it is difficult to not allow buyer's remorse to creep into your thoughts. I have no remorse, so my thoughts are based on the product alone.

From the case to the buds themselves, it is a premium product. I don't EQ, and I will say the out of box sound is captivating. Know that they only include one size of Comply, if you are a Comply user, I am not.

Feel free to ask any questions as a comparison to the TW3. The only question I can't answer is whether it is worth the price, or the difference in price between the TW3. That is totally subjective.

20220521_080729.jpg
My biggest issue with the B&O is the standby state, if I leave them on my desk for a week unused they will not hold charge. Have noticed this on my MTW2 previously not sure if it's something erratic or something else

May 21, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #45,548 of 62,589

Devialet tips work flawlessly for me. But yes, after a week of comparing and contrasting with my other sets, I'm leaning towards sending them back.

May 21, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #45,550 of 62,589
My biggest issue with the B&O is the standby state, if I leave them on my desk for a week unused they will not hold charge. Have noticed this on my MTW2 previously not sure if it's something erratic or something else
I'm having the same issues. Not sure what's up. If it's a multi-pair issue causing drain. Doesn't happen all the time. Good thing I truly love the sound.

May 21, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #45,551 of 62,589
I'm having the same issues. Not sure what's up. If it's a multi-pair issue causing drain. Doesn't happen all the time. Good thing I truly love the sound.
Thanks for the tip, but I sold my Devialets with unused tips. (I had to use Comply Foam due to pops/clicks in the damned left ear...)
Not that you will, but I think you can buy them separately. They were giving away free upgraded tips to those who owned the Gemini. Might be worth trying to get for your tip stash :) https://www.devialet.com/en-pt/true-wireless-earbuds/new-eartips-offer/gemini-eartips-large/ Another link: new-eartips-offer

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #45,552 of 62,589
Has anyone tried the ATH-CKS50TW? I know they have good battery life but how are they in the sound department and over all functionality?

They seem reasonably priced.

May 21, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #45,553 of 62,589

EX seem great, but I just can't get past the price tag. I don't think most people can afford it. I don't even bother to consider or think about the ex because I will never have that much money sitting around to spend on tws anyways. It's like chasing a Rolls-Royce. Wonderful car but if you just can't afford it, you don't even consider or think of it. Of course a Rolls-Royce is going to be much much better than a Honda accord, but you just can't afford it no matter what lol. You have to learn to love the accord.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #45,554 of 62,589
I know what you thinking. A&K - take out the DAC, take the Fokus drivers, then put them in the AZ60. Sorry I don't think you can fit the AZ60 mics and the A&K chip in the Fokus Pro. Maybe you can though. Keep us updated on your progress. :)

Or you could just get the B&O EX. The EX solves the poor call quality of the A&K, has a larger driver, and has IPX 57. The ANC is an afterthought but it doesn’t suffer a SQ hit like the XM4 does. I take these TWS everywhere.

A&K the SQ is great, and passive noise isolation works extremely well. With the right tips they’re just as effective as some earplugs in reducing background noise. In comparison the PNI of the EX is trash, even after rolling some spinfits (I used the shallower CP360)

The biggest demerit of the EX is price. But they do a lot of things right. The A&K is a 1.5 trick pony, and if you buy direct from A&K you only get a 14 day return window.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #45,555 of 62,589
Is the EX gonna be updated for LE?? Doesn't seem to be Snapdragon Sound capable nor will it do Loseless. With the new standard coming and more using the 4332DAC beside the A&K like the FiiO coming, the EX is expensive to me as well since I don't think it will have staying power. Lucky with China shutdowns and supply chain stuff which might help the EX stay up top for longer than they would have if things were dropping as fast as they would be. $400 is a lot unless you are sticking with BT classic and your phone for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back