Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 20, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #45,511 of 62,288
Agree. Especially for wireless but in general as well. maybe we can stop getting these smoothed over TWS. Wish more would tune and don't want to see more doing Sound ID and whatever.
For sure. I've practically stopped using TWS (N400 once in a while) and gone back to my ES100. I don't need ANC. Manufacturers just do such a poor job of tuning these things AND not providing decent EQ.

May 20, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #45,512 of 62,288
For sure. I've practically stopped using TWS (N400 once in a while) and gone back to my ES100. I don't need ANC. Manufacturers just do such a poor job of tuning these things AND not providing decent EQ.
Kinda cool but yes, after a bit, I realized I don't need it. Might not need ambient either. Thinking of getting a TRN TA1 Max which it seems you can hear through pretty well since it is pretty open back. So, just press pause and talk and hear. My WU1 and a Max seems like the right wireless solution for me for a big open sound, that missing treble restored, and hear through when I need. Better till TWS improve some more.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #45,514 of 62,288
Sooooo... I decided try the B&O Beoplay EX since so many of you have been hyping them up. I wanted to compare them against the Senn MTW 3. The Senns will be going back and I'm keeping the EX. The question is why?

1) The EX just fits way better. I seem to get a better seal with the EX (tried many tips). I found myself trying to push the Senns deeper into my ear canals regularly. I think this is just a design thing and the actual shape of my ears. The Senns are more fatiguing for my ears.

2) The EX has a more dynamic sound. It sounds exciting but not over the top. I like the instrument separation better too with the EX. This is probably just a personal preference with regard to sound signature but I have to say that I much prefer the B&O signature sound vs. the Sennheiser sound (having previously owned the EQs and many pairs of Sennheisers in the past).

3) I thought I would hate the stems on the EX. I don't. I actually find it much easier to take the EX out of my ears using the stems. And I don't accidentally press the touch controls accidentally like I do with all of my other TWS.

4) ANC isn't as important to me as it is to some others but I have to say that the Senns win in that department.

Having said all that, the Senns are going back today. :)

May 20, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #45,515 of 62,288
You guys stop beating up those poor Senns!!!(says the guy who thought they seemed a tweak based off the CX plus and might not be quite enough of an improvement) They did drop the price some though so I did think they knew what they were giving us. Fair on the price. They still need to get better on the design, fit, ergonomics. We have been through this for years especially with their sports stuff and earbuds. Many nice shapes and 3D printing out there now yet the boxy design is what they are going with. Odd shapes, stiff no flex parts, chunky volume control modules, pinching designs, and other design miscues they have launched upon us. I mean look at this example....
1653066423096.png

...and that is isn't even close to their first behind the neck design.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #45,516 of 62,288
Someone returned their EX for battery drain being off balance? Mine are running 12 percent difference. I’m not really inclined to care but doesn’t anyone think otherwise?

May 20, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #45,517 of 62,288
Someone returned their EX for battery drain being off balance? Mine are running 12 percent difference. I’m not really inclined to care but doesn’t anyone think otherwise?
Anyone tried taking the other side than one usually grabs out first and see if it makes any difference. Reading the site and doc sheet actually makes no mention of the EX having independent connection. Perhaps they are still doing master/slave swap after a certain percentage.

May 20, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #45,518 of 62,288
Anyone tried taking the other side than one usually grabs out first and see if it makes any difference. Reading the site and doc sheet actually makes no mention of the EX having independent connection. Perhaps they are still doing master/slave swap after a certain percentage.
Interesting theory. I always grab the left first. And that’s the one thats low. I’ll try a swap.

May 20, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #45,519 of 62,288
Does anyone who uses the iPhone volume limiter notice that dynamic range seems to be reduced? I can’t tell if it’s just reducing volume but the music seems a bit flat. I keep mine set at 80 decibels fwiw.

May 20, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #45,520 of 62,288
I think you might be making the case for me to return both MTW4 and EX and get a set of FoKus instead. I used my CL2 with the bluetooth cable as my wireless set for several years, and passive isolation was just fine. I’ve been jumping on the ANC bandwagon just because curious, mostly.
My top three right now for sound are the FoKus, EX and Astell & Kern. 1 and 3 have no ANC. EX ANC is weaker than the MTW3. That said, if you're only looking for the best sound with zero frills, the FoKus and IMO the Astell & Kern are really well done.

May 20, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #45,521 of 62,288
Sooooo... I decided try the B&O Beoplay EX since so many of you have been hyping them up. I wanted to compare them against the Senn MTW 3. The Senns will be going back and I'm keeping the EX. The question is why?

1) The EX just fits way better. I seem to get a better seal with the EX (tried many tips). I found myself trying to push the Senns deeper into my ear canals regularly. I think this is just a design thing and the actual shape of my ears. The Senns are more fatiguing for my ears.

2) The EX has a more dynamic sound. It sounds exciting but not over the top. I like the instrument separation better too with the EX. This is probably just a personal preference with regard to sound signature but I have to say that I much prefer the B&O signature sound vs. the Sennheiser sound (having previously owned the EQs and many pairs of Sennheisers in the past).

3) I thought I would hate the stems on the EX. I don't. I actually find it much easier to take the EX out of my ears using the stems. And I don't accidentally press the touch controls accidentally like I do with all of my other TWS.

4) ANC isn't as important to me as it is to some others but I have to say that the Senns win in that department.

Having said all that, the Senns are going back today. :)
Completely agree and I am now boxing up my MTW3!!!

May 20, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #45,522 of 62,288
I haven't had this issue yet. Still have the issue with the left bud not power on when I take it out, but I now do a little shake to make sure it does. The buds, not my body. Seems to work fine now. I really do enjoy them.

May 20, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #45,523 of 62,288
Still have the issue when I take it out, but I now do a little shake to make sure it does. Seems to work fine now.
1653068586780.png

May 20, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #45,524 of 62,288
Folks who've had both the FoKus Pro and the AZ60- which one has the best overall call quality (including zoom & other VOIPs)?
AZ60 by a mile.

May 20, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #45,525 of 62,288
AZ60 by a mile.
I know what you thinking. A&K - take out the DAC, take the Fokus drivers, then put them in the AZ60. Sorry I don't think you can fit the AZ60 mics and the A&K chip in the Fokus Pro. Maybe you can though. Keep us updated on your progress. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back