Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 20, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #45,526 of 62,284
I know what you thinking. A&K - take out the DAC, take the Fokus drivers, then put them in the AZ60. Sorry I don't think you can fit the AZ60 mics and the A&K chip in the Fokus Pro. Maybe you can though. Keep us updated on your progress. :)
Whelp, this is why we have 6+ tws options!

May 20, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #45,527 of 62,284
I want to know why nobody is going the old JVC route for TWS...
1653070361268.png

Not even JVC. The driver out in front leaves room in the housing which if used wisely can lead to good things. :)

May 20, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #45,528 of 62,284
Thanks!
My hopes are high, lots of people seem to really like the AZ60.

What mostly has been holding be back from buying any TWS for a long time has been the inability to listen to them before buying, and most shops here in Sweden don't allow TWS returns at all, so you are stuck with what you buy.
There are lots of reviews and people try to explain what they sound like which is hard and very subjective, and frequency response curves only says so much (and I don't know what I prefer anyway, just comparing stuff to a harman curve might not help me much in the end).
Sometimes people compare to other TWS which is a good data point (especially after having watched/read maaany reviews and forum comments) but most of the time doesn't directly help me as I havn't heard those other TWS either...

This is hard, I don't like buying things without knowing if it is something that I will like and enjoy using.

From what I've understood the sound is good (ofc not everyone likes the same thing) and that is of high importance, my list preferences goes something like this:
  • Good sound quality (very subjective) that doesn't need an insane amount of EQ tweaking before sounding decent.
  • Built-in EQ (that isn't too limited) so that multiple sources can be used easily while retaining the same experience.
  • Volume and playback controls on the buds.
  • No constant white noise, can be acceptable in transparency mode only.
  • ANC, doesn't have to be the best as long as it does something decent and more importantly doesn't change the sound signature a whole lot (my current set of TWS is horrible at this).
  • Transparency that is loud and clear enough to easily be able to hold a conversation (with music paused).
  • Multipoint for when switching between work laptop and phone.
  • In-ear sensor is convenient but not a must have.
  • Wireless charging isn't very important, we mainly use cables anyway, wireless results in heat and batteries don't like heat. I don't use TWS so much that I need to charge the case all the time anyway.
  • Low phantom battery drain (my current TWS has some, at least I have to charge the case more often than I should have to based on the little amount of time I'm using them)
My current TWS is a chi-fi set, Tronsmart Apollo Bold aren't very good, I'm sort-of certain that many of these areas are implemented better in the AZ60:
  • They have waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much sub-bass but if you EQ that down (in the source) an insane amount then they start to become decent, especially if high-mids and treble is boosted a bit (and then you switch source and have to do it all over again, if even possible).
  • The in-device presets destroy treble (sounds like it is resampled at a lower sample rate), this also occurs in ANC and transparency modes so I don't use those modes much, there is no in-device EQ available other than the presets.
  • ANC also destroys the sound signature by boosting the sub-bass even more while also reducing mids :frowning2:
  • There is white noise all the time (different amount in different modes).
  • And some phantom battery drain.
  • Fit isn't very good.
  • In-ear detection works quite well.
In short, I'm tired of them and want something much better while at the same time not repeating past buying mistakes, which is hard.
Best audio purchase recently has been the Soundcore Life Q30 (not a "premium" product but quite decent due to having EQ that responds well), default EQ is horrible, some presets are decent'ish (at least when compared to default), but they also change sound signature a lot when ANC is enabled (not very good ANC), I mostly use them without ANC.
Wow. Contrast that to a guy on here stating he has bought and returned at least 3 dozen (36) TWS headphones at Amazon USA…
No wonder Amazon stocks down 50% from its peak..
I’d imagine a policy change soon..
😜

May 20, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #45,529 of 62,284
Sooooo... I decided try the B&O Beoplay EX since so many of you have been hyping them up. I wanted to compare them against the Senn MTW 3. The Senns will be going back and I'm keeping the EX. The question is why?

1) The EX just fits way better. I seem to get a better seal with the EX (tried many tips). I found myself trying to push the Senns deeper into my ear canals regularly. I think this is just a design thing and the actual shape of my ears. The Senns are more fatiguing for my ears.

2) The EX has a more dynamic sound. It sounds exciting but not over the top. I like the instrument separation better too with the EX. This is probably just a personal preference with regard to sound signature but I have to say that I much prefer the B&O signature sound vs. the Sennheiser sound (having previously owned the EQs and many pairs of Sennheisers in the past).

3) I thought I would hate the stems on the EX. I don't. I actually find it much easier to take the EX out of my ears using the stems. And I don't accidentally press the touch controls accidentally like I do with all of my other TWS.

4) ANC isn't as important to me as it is to some others but I have to say that the Senns win in that department.

Having said all that, the Senns are going back today. :)
I also have a bit of a man crush on the ability to easily reach up and pull them out of my ear using my claws without hitting something via touch sensor.

May 20, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #45,530 of 62,284
LOL, I put my FIIO UTWS5/FH5 in my jacket today, I like my TWS but in the end I keep going to that combo because they sounds SOOOO good in comparison the any of my TWS. I think my TWS purchases are over until Black Friday / Boxing Day this year. Then if there is a great price on something I might nibble.

Still waiting for my Elite 7 refund and then maybe buy something OTHER than more headphones for a change...

May 20, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #45,532 of 62,284
The Kenwood seems pretty decent...

Has 4 mics per side it seems and is both touch and button to do all the functions. Has ANC, ambient, quick ambient, low latency mode, on board Bass/Clear/Normal sound modes, mic mute, etc. The mic/ANC tests(@6:00 mark) seems like they are pretty good in those areas. Also showed the case has room for longer tips as he tried the Final E on them.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #45,533 of 62,284
May 20, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #45,534 of 62,284
First time posting on headfi, got AZ60 for two months and FW1000T for a day, thought I would like to share some impressions here. I always want to try out JVC/Victor wood diaphgram so I got a pair of these second hand despite not really need an upgrade. Since none of my phones support aptx adaptive so AZ60 would be in ldac best effort and FW1000T would be in aptx:

IMO AZ60 is overall better in "sound quality", they are more transparent, has better instrument separation, have more "resolution" (I don't like this word much but I guess there isn't a better way to describe it), has tighter and punchier bass. If I use my genelec 8030c as a reference point, they have a much more neutral sound than the FW1000T.

The FW1000T has a better "sound stage" (albeit imo not really, everything just sound slightly further from the listening position), a more relaxed sound. There are really a lot of coloring in these, vocal sounds very smooth and warm. Also mid bass seemed to have been bumped somewhat. They actually sound a bit like my unmodded yamaha yh-100 aka "relaxed vintage analog" sound lol.

In terms of ANC and mic quality, I haven't tested the JVC/Victor too much but AZ60 is pretty good, the ANC is much better than my aonic 50 (not like that is a high bar though), and call quality is pretty much as good as bluetooth gonna get.

May 20, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #45,535 of 62,284
Following up here. These things are awesome. The soundstage is excellent, detailed, wide and powerful. Still going back and forth with my collection and comparing and contrasting as to where they stand. They do have multi-pairing. Didn't know that. Didn't see it listed anywhere. Wish they had a better EQ in the app but the bass emphasis mode setting is pretty damn good. If you're willing to pay the price, I'd definitely check these out. A lot of you guys know more about this stuff than me, but I really hear a difference with Knowles BAs and the DAC they're using in these. Honestly too, you don't need ANC. Passive isolation is great. Also, similar to how the Noble Fokus Pro charge a premium for their driver setup, with the A&K you are paying a big price for the better Knowles BA and their DAC. The case could be smaller (it's a tad bigger than the MTW3 case). The buds seem big when you look at them in photos, but fit really well. I'd say like the XM4 as far as how they stick out, but slide in and secure much better. Good stuff here. I'm truly enjoying them.
Did you ever re-purchase the Noble FoKus Pros, and if so, how do you think the A&Ks compare to the FoKus Pros?

I've been really preoccupied with something serious that has went down, but I received my FoKus Pros, and I dig the sound a lot. In particular, the 2nd part of Tipper's Vection sounds pretty badass with a good EQ setting, and the volume turned up:

I like hearing all the granular details.

Regarding 3rd party aftermarket Earphone Tips, the FoKus Pro nozzles with the Medium Stock Tips do make my ears itch uncomfortably after awhile. I tried all the Stock Tips, and it seems like the Medium Single Flange Tips are the best for me, but I might have to try the Large Double Flange Tips again. Hopefully I'll get used to them, but I looked up some Tip recommendations for the FoKus Pros, and found the list below:

1. AZLA SednaEarfit
2. SpinFit CP155 & 145
3. Acoustune AET08

Any other 3rd party aftermarket Earphone Tip recommendations for the Noble FoKus Pros, or thoughts on which Tips are the best?

Thanks

May 21, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #45,537 of 62,284
^^

"
Any other 3rd party aftermarket Earphone Tip recommendations for the Noble FoKus Pros, or thoughts on which Tips are the best?

Thanks"

Final Audio Black+Black/Red Silicone Type E​

41b30IXQJ6S._AC_.jpg

Not tried yet but they arrive later today (someone here REC's them), I use SpinFits and AZLA range normally as I need at least 14mm to fit my large canals, but it may be an issue for me as XL (labeled as LL) are 13.5mm).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081FJVKZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #45,538 of 62,284
Does anyone have real world experience with MTW3 and the 1more EVO?

I have tried some TWS in the past few years and eventually settled with the Soundcore LP3’s based on overall experience and price. I was able to get a good stable fit with them and after heavy EQing pretty good soundstage. It’s a capable set, but quite big. Worth noting that I bought them before the Technics AZ60’s was out, which probably would have been my choice, but didn’t see it worth of an upgrade.

I think its time to get a second pair. I have been watching the reviews, but still not sure is the MTW3’s worth the double price. Although as OnePlus 10 Pro/ Windows laptop user the AptX codec would be a bonus.

I might have to order both of them and return one, but I would prefer not to.

EDIT: Forgot to mention what bothers me with the LP3's. They dont seat properly sometimes in to the case, meaning they wont disconnect and start charging. This is due to the fins moving a bit. Its annoying and a small design flaw by them.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #45,539 of 62,284
MTW3 will arrive today, skipping EVO as the new Pistonbuds Pro have same poor controls (you cannot change much or add single tap) and ANC not much good but they sounded ok after EQ so did then older 1More ANC buds from years ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back