Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 5, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #45,016 of 62,436
Anyone have issue with gain on the B and O EX, from reviews I have read the volume is soft.
I'am currently using the Grado GT220 and it have enough power to bleed your ears, love it but keen to see what the top B and O has to offer.
Nope. My EX are plenty loud. But I bleed in other ways.

May 5, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #45,017 of 62,436
Where did you land on this? I think mine are doing this today. Currently 7% gap between the two buds.
I don't this this is that abnormal, unless it jumps further and gets progressively worse. I've seen this with other buds. Might we worth a call or message to B&O though. I'll keep an eye on my pair and report back if I see anything. Been using them all week.

May 5, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #45,018 of 62,436
Where did you land on this? I think mine are doing this today. Currently 7% gap between the two buds.
Still the same with my B&O EX, 2% difference to start with (100%left, 98% right) then it gradually gets worse until it gets to 60% then it is into 7% - 9% range.

Also seeing strange behavior with left earbud. When I take both buds out, left one doesn't play any music, right one always works fine. Have to put them both back in the case to get them both to play music.

Another strange behavior is with case. The case battery won't always update in app. In fact, it was stuck at 27% until I reset the buds and reinstalled the app.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #45,019 of 62,436
I already prefer the MTW3 to even the B&O EQ. Yes, there you have it. And I really (!) like the EQ. Not so much because of sound alone. Both sound excellent but in different ways. It's more that they have the much better fit for me, better ANC and that they are louder as well. Nevertheless, I personally prefer the sound signature on the MTW3 - it's just more up my alley in direct comparison. But that's of course highly subjective (as is everything here :D). I almost don't want to listen to the EX anymore as I know the fit on them is much improved compared to the EQ :D Good times :)
That's interesting. Anybody else A/Bed the MTW3 versus the Beoplay EXs, and/or the Noble Fokus?

May 5, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #45,021 of 62,436
Anyone have issue with gain on the B and O EX, from reviews I have read the volume is soft.
I'am currently using the Grado GT220 and it have enough power to bleed your ears, love it but keen to see what the top B and O has to offer.
The gt220 is one heckuva set. Yes they are thee loudest tws I've ever heard. Great tonality too.

May 5, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #45,024 of 62,436
I got the Noble FALCON 2 last week, one of the worse earbuds purchases I have ever made, terrible so doubt i will try them again.

Bit late now to be paying £200+ for BT 5.2 QCC3040 buds as new/better tech due soon.
Out of curiosity have you tried the Noble Fokus?

Personally I feel like if they really sound that good, and given the fact that they're AptX Adaptive compatible, I could see them lasting for a good long while.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #45,026 of 62,436
No as I said after those, I doubt I would even try Noble again esp. this late in the day with BT 5.3/LC3 etc due.
I'm not that familiar with Bluetooth 5.2 vs 5.3, but I found this article: https://www.faceofit.com/bluetooth-5-2-vs-5-3/

Which states, "If you want to speed up connection parameters for high-duty cycle applications while ensuring power conservation, then Bluetooth 5.3 is a better option.
It offers increased reliability and throughput by reducing interference occurring at the peripheral. Redundant processing is avoided. For IoT applications, Bluetooth 5.3 is a better alternative.
If you want to have efficient transactions between two or more applications simultaneously with reduced latency, then Bluetooth 5.2 is a better pick. It is a better option for optimal signal transmission with reduced power consumption.
For flawless streaming on multiple synchronized streams, Bluetooth 5.2 is a better pick. LE Audio decreases consumption of power and bandwidth, which makes Bluetooth 5.2 a better option for high-quality audio transmission."

So basically in terms of audio quality, will Bluetooth 5.3 not offer any improvement over 5.2?

May 5, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #45,027 of 62,436
Remember BT 5.2 was later to add on LE/LC3 etc well it is less confusing now as it will be called BT 5.3 so you will not need to second guess which BT 5.2 earbuds have what new features if any.

So far, the only additional feature that has come about on a very few BT 5.2 earbuds is the SnapDragon Sound 24/96 (I think this is the same as newer aptX
Adaptive 24/96 as currently is limited to 24/48) and I think it is called aptX Voice for the calls but not 100%.

https://www.soundguys.com/bluetooth-le-audio-lc3-explained-28192/

QCC305X/QCC307X are the new BT 5.3 Chipsets

https://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/qcc30xx-series-product-brief.pdf

Technically BT 5.0>BT5.1>BT5.2 did not really improve the sound, some may say aptX Adaptive did, but aptX-HD is higher bitrate and so is LDAC so nothing to do with the BT version.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #45,028 of 62,436
Remember BT 5.2 was later to add on LE/LC3 etc well it is less confusing now as it will be called BT 5.3 so you will not need to second guess which BT 5.2 earbuds have what new features if any.

So far, the only additional feature that has come about on a very few BT 5.2 earbuds is the SnapDragon Sound 24/96 (I think this is the same as newer aptX
Adaptive 24/96 as currently is limited to 24/48) and I think it is called aptX Voice for the calls but not 100%.

https://www.soundguys.com/bluetooth-le-audio-lc3-explained-28192/

QCC305X/QCC307X are the new BT 5.3 Chipsets

https://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/qcc30xx-series-product-brief.pdf
I found this, "aptX Adaptive supports 16 and 24 bit-depths at 44.1, 48, and 96 kHz sample rates. However actual 96KHz support is depending on actual product hardware implementation."

Going by the Noble Fokus webpage: "it is possible to transmit 24bit / 48kHz, which is equivalent to aptX HD, at the highest quality." it looks like the Fokus doesn't support the 96 KHz sampling rate, but personally I don't know if I'd use that anytime soon, since I don't think any of my FLAC files use that high sampling rate.

This article mentioning Direct Stream Digital is interesting too: https://alpha-audio.net/2021/03/qualcomm-snapdragon-sound-24-96-quality/

A long time ago I remember thinking DSD seemed like a really cool way to do high-resolution audio, although I've never used it myself, and I think the file sizes would also be too large for a cell phone, like the audio files with a 96 KHz sampling rate, at least for storing a sizable library.

May 5, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #45,029 of 62,436
He did a decibel test:

Seems like the EXs would get louder than the EQs.

I have gone back and forth between the two and the EX definitely get louder. Whatever reviewers are saying they're soft, they're out of their minds.
Still the same with my B&O EX, 2% difference to start with (100%left, 98% right) then it gradually gets worse until it gets to 60% then it is into 7% - 9% range.

Also seeing strange behavior with left earbud. When I take both buds out, left one doesn't play any music, right one always works fine. Have to put them both back in the case to get them both to play music.

Another strange behavior is with case. The case battery won't always update in app. In fact, it was stuck at 27% until I reset the buds and reinstalled the app.
I had that issue with the left one once or twice since I’ve had them. I also think the battery is just a misrepresentation. I noticed that once it hits 40% after say 4 to 5 hours it will jump from 40 to 20. It must be how the number scheme works for them. I’ve seen this on other TWS.

One strange thing just happened to me earlier this evening. I was listening to music with the EX and then suddenly my left earbud dropped in volume and I could hear somebody else talking. Some sort of interference happened with the left bud and I was picking up somebody else’s call. The guy on the other end said “Who is this?” I responded, “Hello?” After going back-and-forth like this a few times, the guy got angry and said “What is your name?” I was like What and I quickly turned off the earbuds.

I haven’t had this happen to me since those old wireless home phones back in the 80s and 90s.

May 5, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #45,030 of 62,436
No as I said after those, I doubt I would even try Noble again esp. this late in the day with BT 5.3/LC3 etc due.
I would’ve told you not to get those Noble Falcon 2 buds. That tech is old and outdated now. I’m sure it was a good deal, but definitely a major pass for me. I’m actually considering re-purchasing the Fokus again (sold mine a week ago!) because I’m concerned the Fokus ANC will not have a multiple balanced armature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back