Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 9, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #42,841 of 62,828
btw, anyone knows if i can buy just one of the buds off a N400 ? i lost one on a plane.
Haven't seen them sold solo. Email AKG/Harman. Never know.

Feb 9, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #42,842 of 62,828
@dmphile I got the black. Looks awesome. You?
Nice...I wanted black but they only had titanium in stock. The black looks so dope....I'm a little sad I wasn't able to get that colour :/

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #42,844 of 62,828
Showdown!

Attachments

• 3D5F82A0-C422-49E8-8DC7-1C991E210929.jpeg
    3D5F82A0-C422-49E8-8DC7-1C991E210929.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 3D2BBD1F-BDEA-4C49-B3AA-A07458846B93.jpeg
    3D2BBD1F-BDEA-4C49-B3AA-A07458846B93.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 9, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #42,846 of 62,828
I am getting the itch now to get the Monarch MK2 but I should know better :eyes:

I had tried Fiio FH7 which was really really good and tried Unique Melody MEST which was even better for mid-bass, but after doing A-B tests with Sennheiser MTW2 at the time, I could barely tell the difference between the TOTL IEM vs TOTL TWS (especially with some EQing). Of course there was a difference but it was very very minimal at least to my ears when listening to streaming lossy MP3/AAC music tracks over LDAC.

The ANC and portability of TWS has kept me happy so far, with Beoplay H95 over ears for at home critical listening which sounds better than IEMs IMO.

Also I am a big believer in ANC as it eliminates noise around you, making it easier to focus on music while protecting your ears as you'd listen in lower volumes.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #42,847 of 62,828
Heard good things about the one plus buds pro. Keep passing them by.
So far they sound great, look great, but no volume controls. They do have multi-point. New firmware update enables it.

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #42,848 of 62,828
I personally think it's the best bt "dongle" type out there. The Qudelix gives it a big big run for its money being $100 less. I would prob rec the Qudelix first just because of that. Plus the Qudelix has an app that is the best app I've ever seen on anything... Period. Of course you were referring to ifi products... Sorry man. I guess it depends what you are after bro. The hip dac and hip dac V2 are both great but they are enormous to lug around. They have great sound quality for a low price unit.
Yeah I was wondering about desktop stuff, I forgot this was tws thread! lol! I like using my btr5 for mobile stuff so figured I could get something for pc only, but maybe it wouldn't even sound any better.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #42,849 of 62,828
I am getting the itch now to get the Monarch MK2 but I should know better :eyes:

I had tried Fiio FH7 which was really really good and tried Unique Melody MEST which was even better for mid-bass, but after doing A-B tests with Sennheiser MTW2 at the time, I could barely tell the difference between the TOTL IEM vs TOTL TWS (especially with some EQing). Of course there was a difference but it was very very minimal at least to my ears when listening to streaming lossy MP3/AAC music tracks over LDAC.

The ANC and portability of TWS has kept me happy so far, with Beoplay H95 over ears for at home critical listening which sounds better than IEMs IMO.

Also I am a big believer in ANC as it eliminates noise around you, making it easier to focus on music while protecting your ears as you'd listen in lower volumes.
I am of the same view. But around the house I'll be using the adapters with fancy IEMs because the volume I listen to is the same as with ANC and, at this point, dedicated TWS probably cannot compare. But mix and match probably won't work for a good ANC solution and without ANC compounded with fussiness, the adapters are a bit of a mess outside around the city. So I'll continue to be watching this space.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #42,850 of 62,828
Yeah I was wondering about desktop stuff, I forgot this was tws thread! lol! I like using my btr5 for mobile stuff so figured I could get something for pc only, but maybe it wouldn't even sound any better.
In almost every situation it will sound better. There are some silly nice desktop/semi portable options and one that has been getting a ton of buzz lately is the TRI tk2... Look it up... It blast out over 1000 mw @32 ohms. Great tonality and pretty. An awesome little dac/amp. It is kind of like the Hip Dacs but I think slightly larger and way way more powerful. I got rid of all my desktop stuff just because i am mobile too much and ended up rarely using it. But, I get the intrigue. They are nice and at some point I'll get another one but for now I just try to find the best portable options. I freaking love the Fiio Ka3... It just brings out the best in every iem for me. It isn't desktop in clean raw power but is powerful enough for anything I throw at it. Or the IFi Go blu/qudelixs of the world, love them. Lately I've been using the utws5 more than anything though as I've been doing alot of running around (long drives) lately. Fiio just absolutely knocked them out of the park. If you are thinking of doing a desktop type than there are some great review sites to point in the right direction and to answer your question... You will def get better SQ with a good desktop dac amp. They are very nice. Honestly there is just so many options out there.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #42,851 of 62,828
I am of the same view. But around the house I'll be using the adapters with fancy IEMs because the volume I listen to is the same as with ANC and, at this point, dedicated TWS probably cannot compare. But mix and match probably won't work for a good ANC solution and without ANC compounded with fussiness, the adapters are a bit of a mess outside around the city. So I'll continue to be watching this space.
I'm the same... Around the house or car rides or even doing some tasks outside is good with adapters but out and about I go with tws. I really enjoy tws and I am always searching for them which is why I ended up here.

Feb 9, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #42,854 of 62,828
A few pics from the Walkman Blog of the upcoming Sony WF-L900. These are also supposed to have noise cancelling. I would say pretty innovative design.

AVvXsEilVxNtDyxjK580nMfaKQxnTL2ScULcpp-Hq39ksmwDdZc-bU1xFxofXnffc7gzydvVyvvZf_YztNMkepk1MN3VxHBiUlL3v7jdQmWNPu9L4lGryTcZsMLJQrxhP4LajGtVvC7ovBLeSg-4uVhNxV-7eJuxJ1b2g8FkDV3pKrYiGjZDoY4xIobOR4TGOg=s1867
AVvXsEjtvqVwPnMQ1D4eWVktDGTMGH2OjNQjymuV2a_bvLKVRAU80AIY411ob1U5vlIJ-4z1eSO5dO7q0mmNJpUgU_NqHnjoSDdTfB3FUTrBKNM05kctHlkc_CRFrGf_hT0jrxk7dPjKN1GMP6-F1qIM-0ngGb3HilyDZVEl06GpwrpocQ9sk6CmhUQMQUnFaQ=w548-h640
Since they were NOT part of the Feb 9 announcement ... any educated guesses when they will be released? I'd love to have something the is similar to the Galaxy beans fit (which I still think is the case here!)

Feb 9, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #42,855 of 62,828
I started at FH9 and ended on Monarch MK2 with the UTWS5. If you think the FH9s are good, whew, the MK2s are

Ha ha! I did. And I have to say, they're what everyone says they are. I'm loving both, but leaning towards selling the C to offset that crazy cost. The MK2 are definitely the best I've heard so far. They're euphoric attached to the UTWS5... ambient mode is just sick.
My new addition arrived today and most everything will have to be put for sale because I ain’t turning back. IFi go Blu + Campfire Audio Dorado 2020. $1k IEMs open box from headphones.com for 30% off. The tuning is to die for. The stage ends somewhere behind my head. The subs make my navel vibrate. Instruments are a realistic distance from each other and I can hear instruments that I didn’t know were playing. Vocals are singing to me and me only. Cymbals snap without hissssssing. I hate to break up with my sizable collection, but they are dead to me. Dorado has sung her siren’s song to me by the Campfire.

ok. It’s pretty freakin’ awesome. But these are the opposite of neutral. These are party IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back