Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 12, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #4,156 of 62,436
Ah, no. You don't hear the peak? Maybe you are ok with the treble peak, but not I. I prefer the Jabra tonally, and it does all I need for when I'm using for exercising (when I don't listen critically). I'm done with TW for a long time as really don't expect more than being functional with the one I prefer to behave listenable tonally.

Because there isn't one, or at least there shouldn't be. There seemed to be issues some had with the e8 but my pair with just a small bit of EQ from the app sounded scads better than the Jabra. Not even a close comparison.

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #4,157 of 62,436
Because there isn't one, or at least there shouldn't be. There seemed to be issues some had with the e8 but my pair with just a small bit of EQ from the app sounded scads better than the Jabra. Not even a close comparison.

I also don’t hear any peak, but that would depend on at what frequency it’s supposed to be at as I have a dip in my hearing in the treble

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #4,158 of 62,436
Ah, no. You don't hear the peak? Maybe you are ok with the treble peak, but not I. I prefer the Jabra tonally, and it does all I need for when I'm using for exercising (when I don't listen critically). I'm done with TW for a long time as really don't expect more than being functional with the one I prefer to behave listenable tonally.
I'm treble sensitive, but out of the box, they didn't bother me. However, I went thru a few pairs for various reasons and the 1st pair sounded markedly different than subsequent pairs, so it's possible you had one with an extreme treble spike. My first pair sounded tinny and the bass was like a weak tap. Wasn't the seal, btw. With some of the other B&O products I've purchased recently (H9i, H8i), there seems to be QC issues with build quality/consistency.

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #4,159 of 62,436
I tried the SP900Ns next, and found the mids nice, but the rest really seemed rolled off. One thing is that they didn't get very loud, but the bass extension and treble extension was definitely lacking. I cycled through the different modes, and it didn't seem to offer ANC on the settings of the demo unit. You could only activate and deactivate transparency, not that it made much of a difference having ANC on other true wireless units. The button placement was amazing though, and the buttons were really good. I also thought the case was great, and even though they were the same style as the other Sony TWEs, they felt much better. They were also the only ones that didn't have a huge amount of sound delay. Too bad the SQ just didn't feel that good.
Disappointed! I was looking forward to these as potentially a refined, yet bass forward version of the SP700N. They really should have changed the naming structure to something like BA900S (Balanced Armature, Sports). But hey, what do I know, Sony is the king of product naming!

It does look kinda cool that you can use them in the water/ocean with the on board storage. I wonder if you need to connect the cable to run both sides underwater...

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #4,160 of 62,436
For fun, knock off E8:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HWYDN4F

This is the "Charm Pioneer Luxury Version" and "Charm base on moving Hifi system wish. Built-in best Hifi 15 bi-amp music module, The sound quality invited the 3 professional tuners did two months test of rigorous debugging. Cooperate with the cozy comfortable memory foam earplugs". SOLD!!! Gotta love Chi-Fi.

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #4,161 of 62,436
I went trying TWEs this afternoon for a short hour. I had a chance to try the SP700Ns, the SP900Ns, the WF1000Xs, the EaRIN M2s, the Mavin Air-Xs, and the Kong-Xs. I wanted to try more but ran short on time. Here is a rundown of my thoughts on each.

I loved the SP700Ns very much again, and found them really well extended and comfortable. The separation was there, the bass detail was nice and impactful, and the mids were still quite clear. This is still one of my favorite TWEs out there. The different modes are useful, but the buttons are annoying to get to, and the audio lag is pretty severe, which is the reason I am hesitant about them. I really wish they were more responsive.

I tried the SP900Ns next, and found the mids nice, but the rest really seemed rolled off. One thing is that they didn't get very loud, but the bass extension and treble extension was definitely lacking. I cycled through the different modes, and it didn't seem to offer ANC on the settings of the demo unit. You could only activate and deactivate transparency, not that it made much of a difference having ANC on other true wireless units. The button placement was amazing though, and the buttons were really good. I also thought the case was great, and even though they were the same style as the other Sony TWEs, they felt much better. They were also the only ones that didn't have a huge amount of sound delay. Too bad the SQ just didn't feel that good.

Next, I tried their father, the WF1000X. They were very comfortable, and had a very nice and balanced sound, with nice separation. I still preferred the SP700Ns sound-sig, but these were nice. The ANC and transparency mode both seemed ever so slightly better than the SP700Ns, so I think they probably have better mics. They were also smaller, so they fit more comfortably, and had the same nice buttons as the SP900Ns. They also had quite a bit of lag, which was unfortunate, The same kind as the SP700Ns.

After, I tried the EARINs. I didn't like them very much. They sounded veiled and muddy. The sound profile even seemed to change between pauses. This was a demo unit, so I am not sure that update they had, if any, but I wasn't a fan of the sound, or the fit.

I then tried the Mavins, and I was not expecting much, but was very pleasantly surprised. They had the easiest pairing method of the bunch, the best case, a nice fit, and sounded very nice. The bass felt just right, and the highs were decent too. Best of all, the mids sounded super clear and detailed. Well, they didn't have all the detail I am used to on my ER4s, but they were very detailed just the same. They had no audio lag as well. I feel like I would have snatched them up here and there had they offered transparency mode. Sure, I can just take off an earbud when someone is talking, but sometimes I need to be aware if someone wants to talk to me.

Finally, I tried the Kong-Xs. They are a hybrid BA-DD TWE, and they sounded the best in the bunch. They were really loud at 10% volume, so I kept it below 7. The bass was like the SP700Ns, but with really clear mids and nice highs. They sounded very nice. The plastic used to make them though wasn't great, and they did end up being huge, which I didn't like...The case is also way too big to be practical.

So, in the end, my two favorite were the SP700Ns and the Mavin Air-Xs. I am not sure I am ready to pull the trigger, as they just don't have everything I need yet. I need less lag on the SP700Ns or transparency mode on the Mavins.

I think though that at this point, technology will render a lot of TOTL models useless in a few generations, so I am not sure I want to spend too much on a pair. I was surprised that the Mavin's could compete with some pairs worth twice its price, thanks in part to it's new chip, and I think it is just a matter of time before the chips get better and leave this current generation of TWEs in the dust.

I was also surprised by the mavins.

I ususally check on kickstarter\indiegogo for stuff, then search for it on jd.com\alibaba\aliexpress\globalsources.com since most of the stuff is rebrands. Found the mavin on indiegogo and waited until it was available direct from them (would never buy from indiegogo) Mavin partnered with erato before, similar case.

I did not expect much, but maybe better than the random chinese Airoha tws. But these things are really nice.
Good sound and very loud, case is small but easily fits different tips like foam. Another plus points are the buds can be powered on,off and put in pairing mode without the case. So far the minus things are problems with latest win 10 1809, where it will not play music. Tried on different computers and after the 1809 update the issue occurred.

Jan 12, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #4,162 of 62,436
Not too bad anyways, on hiby r3 both l and right can can be connected as master, depends on what bud is taken out first of the case or connects first. Also seems to switch between l and r.
Would not mind another mavin set with apt-x hd and anc. Since the buds easily takes some aliexpress t400 foam tips and the small case has no problems with them.
Bah, just tested it again carefully with the Note 9 and couldn't get it to connect to both. While I am able to pair each one individually, as soon as I turn back on the L, it'll ask for the R to pair again (even though it's paired already). If I don't pair it then it removes it from the list and it won't connect to L. So either/or:
- Qualcomm misstated TWS+ support on the QCC3020/6 spec sheet
- Mfg using these chips didn't enable it

I'm hoping it's more the later and that perhaps it can be enabled via FW update. I'm in negotiations with the seller to return these. It looks like they removed a bunch of positive review (was around 25 total last I checked and now it's down to 9) but a recent one said they replaced it due to connectivity issues and that resolve the problem. Am hoping for the same... Will report back.

In meanwhile I grabbed another with QCC3001 support, no aptX but has AAC.

Jan 12, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #4,163 of 62,436
Bah, just tested it again carefully with the Note 9 and couldn't get it to connect to both. While I am able to pair each one individually, as soon as I turn back on the L, it'll ask for the R to pair again (even though it's paired already). If I don't pair it then it removes it from the list and it won't connect to L. So either/or:
- Qualcomm misstated TWS+ support on the QCC3020/6 spec sheet
- Mfg using these chips didn't enable it

I'm hoping it's more the later and that perhaps it can be enabled via FW update. I'm in negotiations with the seller to return these. It looks like they removed a bunch of positive review (was around 25 total last I checked and now it's down to 9) but a recent one said they replaced it due to connectivity issues and that resolve the problem. Am hoping for the same... Will report back.

In meanwhile I grabbed another with QCC3001 support, no aptX but has AAC.

is this the mavin?

Does not look like 3026 has stereo plus.

Jan 12, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #4,165 of 62,436
Jan 12, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #4,166 of 62,436
isn't the Kong-X the one that can be converted into wired iem? what's the price on those?

The Kong-X is only wireless, but it does have a notch to add ear-hooks for the stability. The plastic they are made from though felt like cheap plastic cups, and they were pretty big. According to the specs they have a BA and a 10mm DD driver though, so I guess they would have to be big. The case though...it's almost the size of foldable over-ear headphones. They are pretty cheap though, about 120 USD.

https://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/000000209236/ct2938/page2/recommend/

Thx a lot for the write up! A shame about the SP900N's I was really looking forward to those as I'm a fan of the Sony sound sig.

Yes, it really is. They might need time to adjust to, maybe they open up, but out of the box they were pretty disappointing. I think maybe the TWE world isn't ready for balanced armatures, which is a shame because I love their sound wired, but they usually need a better source.

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #4,167 of 62,436
I was also surprised by the mavins.

I ususally check on kickstarter\indiegogo for stuff, then search for it on jd.com\alibaba\aliexpress\globalsources.com since most of the stuff is rebrands. Found the mavin on indiegogo and waited until it was available direct from them (would never buy from indiegogo) Mavin partnered with erato before, similar case.

I did not expect much, but maybe better than the random chinese Airoha tws. But these things are really nice.
Good sound and very loud, case is small but easily fits different tips like foam. Another plus points are the buds can be powered on,off and put in pairing mode without the case. So far the minus things are problems with latest win 10 1809, where it will not play music. Tried on different computers and after the 1809 update the issue occurred.

Yes, they were really good. They were perfect except for the lack of transparency mode. I have kids and listen to music at work, and in those situations I need to be able to hear the outside world, but in the commute, I need to shut it out, and would like to have a jack-of-all-trades for that so I can save on pocket space.

I will probably go back if I have time and try the Audio Technica series and the Nuarl series. The Nuarl have a nice looking QC3026 SoC earbud with graphene drivers and HDSS. I was so impressed with the Mavin's, I am wondering if it is not thanks to the new bluetooth chip.

https://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/000000220092/

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #4,168 of 62,436
Jan 12, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #4,169 of 62,436
Yes, they were really good. They were perfect except for the lack of transparency mode. I have kids and listen to music at work, and in those situations I need to be able to hear the outside world, but in the commute, I need to shut it out, and would like to have a jack-of-all-trades for that so I can save on pocket space.

I will probably go back if I have time and try the Audio Technica series and the Nuarl series. The Nuarl have a nice looking QC3026 SoC earbud with graphene drivers and HDSS. I was so impressed with the Mavin's, I am wondering if it is not thanks to the new bluetooth chip.

https://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/000000220092/

ive had the jabra 65t for a while, and think they are the best jack of all..transparency mode,multipoint,good app,connection etc. Can be powered on off without case. I use them maybe 10hours a week on transparency mode during hikes. Can just stop music and still have them in for a period of time while hearing the surroundings. After getting the mavins I realise how they do not compare in sq, also they are difficult with other tips. Got some tips that had to be threaded over the entire nozzle.

Have not seen any qcc5100 based tws with transparency mode, please post it here.

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #4,170 of 62,436
ive had the jabra 65t for a while, and think they are the best jack of all..transparency mode,multipoint,good app,connection etc. Can be powered on off without case. I use them maybe 10hours a week on transparency mode during hikes. Can just stop music and still have them in for a period of time while hearing the surroundings. After getting the mavins I realise how they do not compare in sq, also they are difficult with other tips. Got some tips that had to be threaded over the entire nozzle.

Have not seen any qcc5100 based tws with transparency mode, please post it here.

Sorry, just a quick clarification - is it that the Elite 65T does not compare to the Mavin's (good) sound quality? Or do you like the 65T sound better than the Mavin? (And it's the Elite 65T you had difficulty finding a tip that fit, yes?)

EDIT: I saw your previous posts in the thread and confirmed that yes you were pleasantly surprised by the Mavin's. I may give them a look!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back