Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 11, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #41,551 of 62,696
Speaking of the feature-light end of the truly wireless spectrum, here are my TRN BT20S with my KZ ZS5! They sound great! I otherwise very likely would not have revisited these iem’s. Or at least who knows when I would have.

Attachments

• CABFDC08-52F8-4E4A-A6DB-5E4FE3C9E7FA.jpeg
    CABFDC08-52F8-4E4A-A6DB-5E4FE3C9E7FA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 11, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #41,552 of 62,696
This thread is a bit of a catch all. There are separate threads for various adapters and other more specific topics. Personally I love that this thread is broader. I haven't had any trouble finding the specific threads I want (e.g., TW1/TW2) when I'm looking for something very specific I can't find here.
I'm with you. That is one thing I really enjoy about this group. It is a catch all, the guys in this group can advise a person in many directions in the wireless spectrum. Truly wireless talk will always be the mainstay but naturally other wireless talk has a place. However that is just my two cents, I haven't been here for as long as many of you, maybe 4 months or so.... I think this group is "The Wireless Capitol of the Freaking Internet"!! In fact that should've been the group name to begin with..... Lol.... The wireless Capitol of the internet

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #41,553 of 62,696
Hi guys. I've got a mate who just bought a wireless charger to put his Sony WF-1000XM4 buds case on. He told me that after the case had been sitting on the charger all day, the case was quite warm when he went to use them. He said apparently it's quite normal as there's a lot of wasted energy with wireless charging and the wasted energy is the heat. But he tells me he doesn't want to keep them on the charger all the time now as he doesn't want the case to get warm and he'll only charge when it's needed. He's concerned electronics in the case or even the buds could be getting heated up which might decrease their lifespan.

Do you think it's in any way detrimental to keep the case on a wireless charger indefinitely?

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #41,554 of 62,696
Hi guys. I've got a mate who just bought a wireless charger to put his Sony WF-1000XM4 buds case on. He told me that after the case had been sitting on the charger all day, the case was quite warm when he went to use them. He said apparently it's quite normal as there's a lot of wasted energy with wireless charging and the wasted energy is the heat. But he tells me he doesn't want to keep them on the charger all the time now as he doesn't want the case to get warm and he'll only charge when it's needed. He's concerned electronics in the case or even the buds could be getting heated up which might decrease their lifespan.

Do you think it's in any way detrimental to keep the case on a wireless charger indefinitely?
I've seen this happen on a number of my wireless chargeable buds. I'm not really concerned as most of the legit wireless charging pads have auto-off features when the item charging is fully charged. But if he's worried, prob better to err on the side of caution. It's like my wife, who even though she shut the stove off, she still has to check the oven before we leave!

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #41,555 of 62,696

I don't know that I can 100% answer your question regarding damage, but I have experienced the same with other devices and headphones. My Air Pods Pros do the same most frequently out of my devices

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #41,556 of 62,696
Speaking of the Sony WF-1000XM4, there's a new firmware update out - version 1.3.3. I am still evaluating, but they sound more detailed and airy now, even over AAC on an iPhone. I turned off my custom EQ for now and am liking the stock tuning so far.

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #41,558 of 62,696
Received my Marshall Motif A.N.C. to compliment my Mode II. I have to admit, I really love them. They have a cool rocker edge and the sound is excellent. Soundstage and EQ is great. Can't customize the EQ on the Motif yet, but Mode II lets you. For the Motif, you need to use the presets, which aren't bad. Both buds have wireless charging, but no volume controls :frowning2: The case on both buds have the look and feel of the old Marshall amp I used to own. Really like it. Battery isn't super long, but good enough for me. Motif has fast charging. I popped some Devialet tips on the Motif and that helped the fit. The Mode II are tiny and fit me perfect. Actually, they're BOTH small. I feel like they're nicer than the Final ZE3000.
Back to these things. I think I'm going to return the Mode II version. Bluetooth hiccups. I read this happens with them, but tried anyway. Sad. Sound is great. Form factor is stellar.

The Motif ANC version, zero issues so far. One main different is they haven't updated the buds to let you customize your EQ on the Motif. Only works on the Mode II. Sound is still great with the preset EQ on the Motif, but that's one thing I'm hoping they change -- custom EQ settings.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #41,559 of 62,696
Speaking of the Sony WF-1000XM4, there's a new firmware update out - version 1.3.3. I am still evaluating, but they sound more detailed and airy now, even over AAC on an iPhone. I turned off my custom EQ for now and am liking the stock tuning so far.
Do you notice a volume level difference? Seems they are louder too, but may just be my ears this morning still.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #41,560 of 62,696
I'm with you. That is one thing I really enjoy about this group. It is a catch all, the guys in this group can advise a person in many directions in the wireless spectrum. Truly wireless talk will always be the mainstay but naturally other wireless talk has a place. However that is just my two cents, I haven't been here for as long as many of you, maybe 4 months or so.... I think this group is "The Wireless Capitol of the Freaking Internet"!! In fact that should've been the group name to begin with..... Lol.... The wireless Capitol of the internet
I would agree that having one thread to go to for a breadth of info is convenient. However, I will make the personal observation that this thread has more or less become an online chat board between a small group of folks. This results in an explosion of messages, making it useful for those participants, but a bit tedious for the rest of us to keep up with if all we are trying to do is learn about the new developments in wireless audio. I can be away from this thread for a day or two and find that I am at least 10 pages behind, and when I do read through the missed posts I haven’t learned much. Anyway, that is just my opinion that I wanted to put out there.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #41,561 of 62,696
Do you notice a volume level difference? Seems they are louder too, but may just be my ears this morning still.
Yes, the XM4s do seem to be a bit louder after the update. I am listening to them at about 50% volume on my iPhone 12, so there is plenty of headroom. However, even before the update, the XM4 were among the loudest TWS buds I have used. They could always get way louder than I would ever want or need.

If you can get a good fit, I truly believe that the XM4s are one of the best all-around TWS buds, given the balance of features and sound quality. Having ambient triggered automatically when speaking is an awesome feature.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #41,562 of 62,696
Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #41,565 of 62,696
Spent part of the late afternoon messing with the Audio-Techinica ATH-CKS50TW here. I know I've mentioned it before, but for $150, they are just a great value. You have to get them from Amazon Japan right now, but wow. They are the Solid Bass buds, but I EQ that bass down. You don't need so much. I actually really like the audio. It's warm, not clinical, but def not offensive. The ANC knocks out all the hums, fans and traffic noise nearby. Can barely hear the tv too in the other room. Esp. with a good seal. Little features like Quick Hear-Through are great. Basically, you hold assign it to one or both bud. Works sort of like the Sony XM4 quick ambient mode. In this case, you hold the button and it lowers the music volume way down and leaves ambient mode on. Hold the button again and the music goes back to the original volume. Also, you can change the volume increments which is pretty cool. No more volume jumping that is too loud or too soft. I think these buds are flying under the radar and hope that others at least take a look.

Worst part of the above is that my Fiio UTWS5s kept connecting while charging in the case. ANNOYING that it's still happening.

This post pushed me over the edge... I ordered them from Amazon.co.jp to the US :grimacing:

Thank you for enabling me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back