Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 10, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #41,536 of 62,963
Thanks man :) Funny you say that, sometimes the holding each adapter to shut down doesn't even work. That said, they really do pump out some great power. I've been using them again for days with those Oriveti and the Variations. Can't get enough, I'm still hungry. Yep, I did just quote Kip Winger. You're welcome. I have the KZs coming and plan to cut off the tips for my 2 Pin, also, I ordered those BT30s to try and HiFiGo still hasn't shipped since I ordered last Thursday. They claim this week. Maybe I should take a shot at the UTWS3? Any annoyances there or -- ?

I've had zero issues with Amazon Japan, so... Oh, right, you have all that Amazon dough!
Madalaine would be so proud.

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #41,537 of 62,963
Jan 10, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #41,538 of 62,963
Spent part of the late afternoon messing with the Audio-Techinica ATH-CKS50TW here. I know I've mentioned it before, but for $150, they are just a great value. You have to get them from Amazon Japan right now, but wow. They are the Solid Bass buds, but I EQ that bass down. You don't need so much. I actually really like the audio. It's warm, not clinical, but def not offensive. The ANC knocks out all the hums, fans and traffic noise nearby. Can barely hear the tv too in the other room. Esp. with a good seal. Little features like Quick Hear-Through are great. Basically, you hold assign it to one or both bud. Works sort of like the Sony XM4 quick ambient mode. In this case, you hold the button and it lowers the music volume way down and leaves ambient mode on. Hold the button again and the music goes back to the original volume. Also, you can change the volume increments which is pretty cool. No more volume jumping that is too loud or too soft. I think these buds are flying under the radar and hope that others at least take a look.

You tried the Final exclusive tips on the AT yet?? Sounds like someone is gonna try the ATH-TWX9 when it comes along :wink:

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #41,539 of 62,963
You tried the Final exclusive tips on the AT yet?? Sounds like someone is gonna try the ATH-TWX9 when it comes along :wink:
I haven't tried the tips, but what Final included didn't really blow me away. I really like the tips AT included with the 50s. What do the TWX9s look like? You always have the inside information!

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #41,540 of 62,963
I haven't tried the tips, but what Final included didn't really blow me away. I really like the tips AT included with the 50s. What do the TWX9s look like? You always have the inside information!
Good stock tips but they do hold the stage size and bass quality back a bit. Enough to notice so I swapped out.

X9 is still in the confidentiality window so no pics yet. Still around 80 days of confidentiality left if they need it and are not ahead of schedule.

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #41,541 of 62,963
Good stock tips but they do hold the stage size and bass quality back a bit. Enough to notice so I swapped out.

X9 is still in the confidentiality window so no pics yet. Still around 80 days of confidentiality left if they need it and are not ahead of schedule.
I was just looking at that, since October. Guess we'll see if they are better than the 50s. You swapped out with the Final tips or?

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #41,542 of 62,963
I was just looking at that, since October. Guess we'll see if they are better than the 50s. You swapped out with the Final tips or?
Nope. Was curious. Don't have any Final tips. Using JVC tips.

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #41,543 of 62,963
Nope. Was curious. Don't have any Final tips. Using JVC tips.
I have so many, they all become derivative of one another IMO.

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #41,544 of 62,963
Jan 11, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #41,545 of 62,963
Spent part of the late afternoon messing with the Audio-Techinica ATH-CKS50TW here. I know I've mentioned it before, but for $150, they are just a great value. You have to get them from Amazon Japan right now, but wow. They are the Solid Bass buds, but I EQ that bass down. You don't need so much. I actually really like the audio. It's warm, not clinical, but def not offensive. The ANC knocks out all the hums, fans and traffic noise nearby. Can barely hear the tv too in the other room. Esp. with a good seal. Little features like Quick Hear-Through are great. Basically, you hold assign it to one or both bud. Works sort of like the Sony XM4 quick ambient mode. In this case, you hold the button and it lowers the music volume way down and leaves ambient mode on. Hold the button again and the music goes back to the original volume. Also, you can change the volume increments which is pretty cool. No more volume jumping that is too loud or too soft. I think these buds are flying under the radar and hope that others at least take a look.

Worst part of the above is that my Fiio UTWS5s kept connecting while charging in the case. ANNOYING that it's still happening.
Hmm interesting. Great price. Unfortunately the galaxy pros have set the bar high for me in the 130 price bracket. I still love mine, but falling more in love with the idea of using separate components.
Dude I don't want to even attempt to tell you hat you'd have no issue with the Utws3. Lol. I did have one solo issue with connecting on one of my 3's and I alcohol cleaned the adapter terminals and the case terminal, I unpaired them from my phone and I reset them, I think I did that 2 or 3 times because I wasn't sure if it reset. Anyways I've had it for about 7 months maybe without a repeat offense. Honestly when I listen a/b with the 3 and 5.....i can't really tell a huge difference sonically between them other than a bit more dynamics on the 5 in a more balanced approach and just a bit more power, not much more. About the kz az09 pro, they are nice but you'll hear the difference if you are judging them against beasts like the utws5, they are not the same animal but they are nicely comfortable and tidy, if that makes sense. I also cut the two pin adapter back and it was easy, soft rubber, it does take some back and forth with an exacto knife and some good pushing so be careful... Obviously.
Thanks, I was just going to ask you about utws3 vs 5. My 3's are working great so far, and the price is just insane value compared to the 5s. I might get a second pair. I'm liking the sound of my timless more with the utws3's for some reason. It's less technical but more fun and balanced. Maybe the amp is helping the bass not be as flubby which helps balance everything out.

Jan 11, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #41,546 of 62,963
I need to echo the sentiment that I think the bluetooth adapters with different IEM-pairings should have their own thread.
Not because i'm disinterested in the subject matter, but mostly because it makes this threads seem like it's more about wired IEM's than talking about true wireless earbuds.

I mean, it's a bit of a gray area because technically you do make a... let's say Moondrop Kato, into a true wireless earbud with the adapter, but the Moondrop Kato is still a wired IEM and doesn't fit that well into the topic.
I just think it would make sense having a more specific thread about the adapters so you could talk about their respective IEM pairings - which adapters make different IEM's shine and which ones aren't the perfect pairing etcetc, talking about the upsides and downsides about the adapters.
It would just make the threads seem more... clean.

I'm not one of the most frequent posters here so I don't want to overstep in the matter, but i know somebody else expressed that opinion a few pages back and I kinda agree with it.

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #41,547 of 62,963

Worst part of the above is that my Fiio UTWS5s kept connecting while charging in the case. ANNOYING that it's still happening.
That reminded me to also do some more messing with them ... since it looks like I am 'stuck' with them :D. but they ain't that bad. And I am looking for best case usage. This fantastic battery life makes it a contender for extended computer use .. usually I wear my Bose QC 35 over ears for that ... but after 5 years of extenisve use, the batteries show their age .. now .. let's see how long my ears are ok with the ATH in them .. on a recent train trip I had some discomfort after 1h, but that might also have been part of the combo winter hat + mask ... will try them for a movie later ...

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #41,548 of 62,963
I need to echo the sentiment that I think the bluetooth adapters with different IEM-pairings should have their own thread.
Not because i'm disinterested in the subject matter, but mostly because it makes this threads seem like it's more about wired IEM's than talking about true wireless earbuds.

I mean, it's a bit of a gray area because technically you do make a... let's say Moondrop Kato, into a true wireless earbud with the adapter, but the Moondrop Kato is still a wired IEM and doesn't fit that well into the topic.
I just think it would make sense having a more specific thread about the adapters so you could talk about their respective IEM pairings - which adapters make different IEM's shine and which ones aren't the perfect pairing etcetc, talking about the upsides and downsides about the adapters.

I'm not one of the most frequent posters here so I don't want to overstep in the matter, but i know somebody else expressed that opinion a few pages back and I kinda agree with it.
This thread is a bit of a catch all. There are separate threads for various adapters and other more specific topics. Personally I love that this thread is broader. I haven't had any trouble finding the specific threads I want (e.g., TW1/TW2) when I'm looking for something very specific I can't find here.

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #41,549 of 62,963

This has been floated here before many many moons ago. I for one don't want to frequent multiple feeds to read up on stereo earbuds that have no wires connecting the two units (truly wireless) when I can get it all in one place. I pointed out before that they exist on a continuum with more and fewer features, with something like adapter + iem on one side and the Airpods Pro on the other. They are all truly wireless.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #41,550 of 62,963

Users who are viewing this thread

Back