Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 21, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #40,426 of 62,629
I just tried it today switching between my surface book and S21 Ultra. I have to disconnect them from the PC and the utws5 will be in pairing mode and just go to bluetooth setting on my phone and connect to the utws5. It then connect within 1-2 sec after that. Same thing when doing it the other way around. The utws5 needs to be disconnected first in order to connect to a different device.
Thanks for confirming. Good to know, but definitely a huge bummer. I was hoping the pairing button would force disconnect without having to go fish out your last computer. Super annoying if you have multiple computers and forget to disconnect explicitly.

Dec 21, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #40,427 of 62,629
Not sure how big the 1More actually are. AT probably a slight bit bigger but certainly a different shape. Weight is the same though 8g and 7.9g for the buds and the 1More is 79g with the case and the AT is 76g with the case.

I see there is an english manual now...
https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/do.../Content/True-Wireless/ATH-CKS50TW/index.html

I see that they have a 5 minute auto off when disconnected which is good if you want to leave the charging case home. Buuut you need a little pouch or leash for them to make it easier.
1more is like old bose type of TWS shape. The AT looks more like Sennheiser Momentum shaped.

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #40,432 of 62,629
Penon just sent me the wrong TWS. I've been waiting a month. Ugh

Lots of nice deals and new models recently. AKG, JBL, Jabra etc. Might I ask what on Penon was interesting enough to purchase? Maybe the GeekFly but those are not good deals as the battery life and features aren't really there. Might as well spend the extra $50 and get the FoKus and get an app and US service and shipping and more battery per charge. Most likely a better fit and much better looking as well.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #40,433 of 62,629
My 2nd utws5 .78mm version came today. Paired it up with Moondrop Variations and another good pairing imho. The utws5 is able to bring the sub bass rumble that is known for in Variations. I've tried other bluetooth earhook and they can't drive the Variations properly, but not the utws5. I highly recommend the utws5 for people looking at bluetooth earhook.
20211221_142609.jpg
Too bad the Kato 2pin socket is kind of recessed so the connection won't be secure enough.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #40,434 of 62,629
Hey fellas, i posted this yesterday to a Facebook Group I am a part of so instead of re-writing I'll just copy and paste that post. This was a quick blurb about some differences with the Utws3 and Utws5.

Fiio Utws5

After a few hours with the Fiio Utws5 I can surely say that yes, these adapters are an upgrade from the Fiio Utws3. The question is.... How much of an upgrade?

The last year or so I have spent quite alot of on-the-go time jamming out to the Utws3 using both the 2 pin as well as the mmcx versions. I have always been impressed with the capabilities of these adapters. The sound is robust and full with good extension on both ends of the spectrum for wireless and for the most part a balanced presentation with slight emphasis in the low end. Good for portable uses. However, as nice as they are there were some issues reported. Granted I have never had these issues with my two units but the Utws3 did have some connection issues reported with initial pairing and even issues of the adapters not always turning off in the case and sometimes only one would connect, some reported issues with mmcx version's connector wearing out... Stuff like that. As polished as they are for a wireless style adapter they did have new tech problems at times. Again, I have never had those issues so.... QC? They Carry Aptx, AAC, SBC and could give you roughly 5-6 hrs of listening time on the adapters alone and 30 hrs on the case. The case is rather large, with indicator lights to report battery life as well as the Fiio music player app or the Fiio Control app which both can be used for additional controls and functions such as... Firmware Updates, left-right balance, button control schemes, a total of #4 Low Pass Filters and various other minor controls. The Utws3 runs on a Qualcomm QCC3020 chip using BT 5.0 with an independent "TPA6410A2" Amplifier which promises 38 mw @16 ohms and also has an IPX4 waterproof rating. Easy to push buttons are used almost at the ends of each right and left adapter for different controls. For $69.00 US you can get these versatile music makers. I described the Utws3 so that I can simply say that the UTWS5 has every function, the same physical footprint and more features than the Utws3 and truthfully is just.... Better....in every regard.

In comes the end of 2021 and Fiio decided to upgrade their wireless adapters to the Fiio Utws5. The 5 comes with the exact same case for the most part with slight differences cosmetically like golden accents in the wording as well as a better hinge and small guides where the adapter sits in the case. Both units provide plenty of room for small or large iems. The 5 has also been equipped with wireless charging. The 5 is upgraded to 8 hrs of battery life from the 6 hrs on the 3. As far as the adapters themselves they have upgraded to BT 5.2 using Qualcomm 5141 SOC Chip which imo is a huge upgrade pertaining to ease of connectivity. Also the 5 has finally its own Independant left and right DAC chip "AK4332ECB" housing an upgraded Amplifier which pumps up the amplification to 53 mw @ 32 ohm load promising greater output (40% more) with a much lower noise floor and that is confirmed as well as a much higher signal to noise (SNR) ratio. The Utws5 has Aptx-Adaptive which sees 24bit 96 khz, Aptx, AAC, and SBC Audio Codecs with promises for future upgrades from Fiio via firmware updates to LHDC audio codec as well as Ambient Mode and a 10 band EQ in the app. Also, the 5 has Qualcomm Snapdragon Sound Technology... Whatever that is.

With all that being said (sorry I had to do it) the most important thing is, will there be a difference in sound quality? I spent the better part of 5 hrs going back and forth between the Utws3 and the Utws5 and while I do fully enjoy the 3, I have to say that the upgrade is noticible to me. I went back and forth using the same iems, the T3+ and the ZAS. Switching back and forth with both iems and both adapters taking the Iems off and putting on the other... again and again and again. I just have to say.. they (Fiio) did a great job with the 5 as It has a cleaner sound, better details, extension, with deeper Sub-bass, just about the same fullness to the mid-bass yet extending further in the highs. The 5 shows well with its low noise floor with (to my ears) almost no audible hiss and a very dynamic sound while remaining for the most part balanced throughout. The output power is evidently louder while the on board DAC does a great job offering better control with better speed and decay, better separation, better resolution and clarity. These truly are better across the board and are ACTUALLY a proper upgrade. Is it worth the $120.00 and $50 dollar price difference? To me.... Absolutely.

I will go more in depth and single out the Utws5 in a future post if anyone requests such a thing, adding additional functionality, and more in depth with the sound but for now I wanted to point out some differences to hopefully help us all out making a purchasing decision, after all... most of us are not rolling in cash and so any reviews are a good thing especially based on personal experience.

I will also add that before the 5 I felt strongly that the 3 was the absolute best wireless adapter of its kind and is absolutely worth the $60-70 USD they are asking. Also, I feel the 5 is 100% worth $120.00 and completely out performs the Utws3. I have not had the chance to try the KZ Az09 Pro, or Shure's TW2 (which I hear are fantastic) & TRN's BT30. I will get my hands on the Az09 Pro soon but I think I already know the answer that a comparison would garner between the two. The Utws5 is much much better than the Ibasso Cf01 which retails for over $160 and much better than the Fostex TM2C set as well which sells for $300 USD, truthfully... It isn't even a competition to me.

I'd have to say that Fiio really did outdo themselves. Give me more time to really listen to the 5 so that I can give a proper opinion of the sound. Granted I am only me and this is all an opinion. I am not a professional reviewer and every opinion is based on my experiences with music and audio gear as someone else may have a completely different opinion as well as give better explanation than lil Ole me. Please wait for and listen to other reviews and ideas which I'm very sure are going to be piling in shortly. I hope you all are well and good and please take good care. Oh.... Merry Christmas.

Dec 21, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #40,435 of 62,629
My 2nd utws5 .78mm version came today. Paired it up with Moondrop Variations and another good pairing imho. The utws5 is able to bring the sub bass rumble that is known for in Variations. I've tried other bluetooth earhook and they can't drive the Variations properly, but not the utws5. I highly recommend the utws5 for people looking at bluetooth earhook.
20211221_142609.jpg
Too bad the Kato 2pin socket is kind of recessed so the connection won't be secure enough.
Dude... How good does Timeless sound on these? I was pretty close to picking them up. Very cool man, putting Variations and Timeless on these says alot. Awesome

Dec 21, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #40,436 of 62,629
Hey fellas, i posted this yesterday to a Facebook Group I am a part of so instead of re-writing I'll just copy and paste that post. This was a quick blurb about some differences with the Utws3 and Utws5.

Fiio Utws5

After a few hours with the Fiio Utws5 I can surely say that yes, these adapters are an upgrade from the Fiio Utws3. The question is.... How much of an upgrade?

The last year or so I have spent quite alot of on-the-go time jamming out to the Utws3 using both the 2 pin as well as the mmcx versions. I have always been impressed with the capabilities of these adapters. The sound is robust and full with good extension on both ends of the spectrum for wireless and for the most part a balanced presentation with slight emphasis in the low end. Good for portable uses. However, as nice as they are there were some issues reported. Granted I have never had these issues with my two units but the Utws3 did have some connection issues reported with initial pairing and even issues of the adapters not always turning off in the case and sometimes only one would connect, some reported issues with mmcx version's connector wearing out... Stuff like that. As polished as they are for a wireless style adapter they did have new tech problems at times. Again, I have never had those issues so.... QC? They Carry Aptx, AAC, SBC and could give you roughly 5-6 hrs of listening time on the adapters alone and 30 hrs on the case. The case is rather large, with indicator lights to report battery life as well as the Fiio music player app or the Fiio Control app which both can be used for additional controls and functions such as... Firmware Updates, left-right balance, button control schemes, a total of #4 Low Pass Filters and various other minor controls. The Utws3 runs on a Qualcomm QCC3020 chip using BT 5.0 with an independent "TPA6410A2" Amplifier which promises 38 mw @16 ohms and also has an IPX4 waterproof rating. Easy to push buttons are used almost at the ends of each right and left adapter for different controls. For $69.00 US you can get these versatile music makers. I described the Utws3 so that I can simply say that the UTWS5 has every function, the same physical footprint and more features than the Utws3 and truthfully is just.... Better....in every regard.

In comes the end of 2021 and Fiio decided to upgrade their wireless adapters to the Fiio Utws5. The 5 comes with the exact same case for the most part with slight differences cosmetically like golden accents in the wording as well as a better hinge and small guides where the adapter sits in the case. Both units provide plenty of room for small or large iems. The 5 has also been equipped with wireless charging. The 5 is upgraded to 8 hrs of battery life from the 6 hrs on the 3. As far as the adapters themselves they have upgraded to BT 5.2 using Qualcomm 5141 SOC Chip which imo is a huge upgrade pertaining to ease of connectivity. Also the 5 has finally its own Independant left and right DAC chip "AK4332ECB" housing an upgraded Amplifier which pumps up the amplification to 53 mw @ 32 ohm load promising greater output (40% more) with a much lower noise floor and that is confirmed as well as a much higher signal to noise (SNR) ratio. The Utws5 has Aptx-Adaptive which sees 24bit 96 khz, Aptx, AAC, and SBC Audio Codecs with promises for future upgrades from Fiio via firmware updates to LHDC audio codec as well as Ambient Mode and a 10 band EQ in the app. Also, the 5 has Qualcomm Snapdragon Sound Technology... Whatever that is.

With all that being said (sorry I had to do it) the most important thing is, will there be a difference in sound quality? I spent the better part of 5 hrs going back and forth between the Utws3 and the Utws5 and while I do fully enjoy the 3, I have to say that the upgrade is noticible to me. I went back and forth using the same iems, the T3+ and the ZAS. Switching back and forth with both iems and both adapters taking the Iems off and putting on the other... again and again and again. I just have to say.. they (Fiio) did a great job with the 5 as It has a cleaner sound, better details, extension, with deeper Sub-bass, just about the same fullness to the mid-bass yet extending further in the highs. The 5 shows well with its low noise floor with (to my ears) almost no audible hiss and a very dynamic sound while remaining for the most part balanced throughout. The output power is evidently louder while the on board DAC does a great job offering better control with better speed and decay, better separation, better resolution and clarity. These truly are better across the board and are ACTUALLY a proper upgrade. Is it worth the $120.00 and $50 dollar price difference? To me.... Absolutely.

I will go more in depth and single out the Utws5 in a future post if anyone requests such a thing, adding additional functionality, and more in depth with the sound but for now I wanted to point out some differences to hopefully help us all out making a purchasing decision, after all... most of us are not rolling in cash and so any reviews are a good thing especially based on personal experience.

I will also add that before the 5 I felt strongly that the 3 was the absolute best wireless adapter of its kind and is absolutely worth the $60-70 USD they are asking. Also, I feel the 5 is 100% worth $120.00 and completely out performs the Utws3. I have not had the chance to try the KZ Az09 Pro, or Shure's TW2 (which I hear are fantastic) & TRN's BT30. I will get my hands on the Az09 Pro soon but I think I already know the answer that a comparison would garner between the two. The Utws5 is much much better than the Ibasso Cf01 which retails for over $160 and much better than the Fostex TM2C set as well which sells for $300 USD, truthfully... It isn't even a competition to me.

I'd have to say that Fiio really did outdo themselves. Give me more time to really listen to the 5 so that I can give a proper opinion of the sound. Granted I am only me and this is all an opinion. I am not a professional reviewer and every opinion is based on my experiences with music and audio gear as someone else may have a completely different opinion as well as give better explanation than lil Ole me. Please wait for and listen to other reviews and ideas which I'm very sure are going to be piling in shortly. I hope you all are well and good and please take good care. Oh.... Merry Christmas.
Actually KZ AZ09pro is very good. The only drawback is that only C-pin connector is available as of now so if you want to use it with let say Tin 3+, you have to cut the outer sleeve surrounding the 2pin connector. Other than that, it has plenty of power, quite long battery life for such a small body, solid connection and gaming mode for under $50. Still, the utws5 I think sounds more solid and dead silent when nothing is playing.

Dec 21, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #40,437 of 62,629
Dude... How good does Timeless sound on these? I was pretty close to picking them up. Very cool man, putting Variations and Timeless on these says alot. Awesome
It is very good to my ears. Using the utws5, it is the closest sounding as when I am using my desktop amp.

Dec 21, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #40,438 of 62,629
I just tried it today switching between my surface book and S21 Ultra. I have to disconnect them from the PC and the utws5 will be in pairing mode and just go to bluetooth setting on my phone and connect to the utws5. It then connect within 1-2 sec after that. Same thing when doing it the other way around. The utws5 needs to be disconnected first in order to connect to a different device.
You forgot the best part!

With the UTWS5 now in my possession, I can confirm that you are able to consistently use the case multi-function button to reconnect to a different device WITHOUT having to first disconnect from the previous device, etc. I would still prefer if I could use the touchpad on an individual ear hook adapter for this (without needing the case), but this is already a huge QoL improvement over the UTWS3. Paired to my P6P, put the ear hooks back in the case, press and hold the case multi-function button for 3s, select the UTWS5 within the bluetooth devices menu on my MacBook. Boom, done. Paired. Good to go. YES!

:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #40,439 of 62,629
Actually KZ AZ09pro is very good. The only drawback is that only C-pin connector is available as of now so if you want to use it with let say Tin 3+, you have to cut the outer sleeve surrounding the 2pin connector. Other than that, it has plenty of power, quite long battery life for such a small body, solid connection and gaming mode for under $50. Still, the utws5 I think sounds more solid and dead silent when nothing is playing.
Ya, I do have a bunch of c-pin iems and for the price... It's hard not to pick it up

Dec 21, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #40,440 of 62,629
You forgot the best part!

With the UTWS5 now in my possession, I can confirm that you are able to consistently use the case multi-function button to reconnect to a different device WITHOUT having to first disconnect from the previous device, etc. I would still prefer if I could use the touchpad on an individual ear hook adapter for this (without needing the case), but this is already a huge QoL improvement over the UTWS3. Paired to my P6P, put the ear hooks back in the case, press and hold the case multi-function button for 3s, select the UTWS5 within the bluetooth devices menu on my MacBook. Boom, done. Paired. Good to go. YES! :ksc75smile:
I did not know this fun fact.... Sweet. Thanks man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back