Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 25, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #40,456 of 62,627
New addition far left. Wow. Best Audio Technica TWS yet! Quick shot: ANC is really good in my home. Sound is FULL. Nice bass and sub-bass. Thank you Amazon Japan! Let the games begin...
Am I to understand the ATH also do multipoint? This is getting very tempting! Already put in my amazon basket, but I might wait to try the fit in shop (or if there's any January sale) .. any chance the @erockg can do some ANC comparison? So far already happy by your first impressions ...

ath.jpg

ooooh, e-earphone already has a used (level C) set for sale .. might be that the damage is limited to missing a pair of ear tips ... then again, not a fan of blue

ath2.jpg

Oh, wait, maybe it's this pair that someone on amazon.jp complains about ... weird though that they say amazon won't take it back (pick up?)

ath3.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #40,457 of 62,627
I'll try to make this short as possible since I'm sick of researching which could be useless anyway, but I love my shure srh-840s. Never felt the need to upgrade for over 6 years. I'd love a bt bud that sounded similar. I found out about the shures on here back when they came out, and was hoping to be steered in the same direction for bt buds.

I tried powerbeats. Knew right away it wasn't going to work, but messed around with diff tips and eq settings. I returned it. I just got the galaxy buds+ for 45. I can see why the reviews are good and the sound is ok, but I don't love the sound sig. I def feel the need to upgrade. I'll keep them for the price I got them at, transparency mode, and batt life.

What should I be getting? I just found out about bt hooks on here as well as the technics az60s. I'm not sure where the 160 price is at for the az60s? Also I'm a stickler for transparency mode since I need it at work and jogging. I've never felt the need for noise canceling, I actually want the opposite. I don't feel that picky, but this is becoming a struggle!

Have you considered the the Shure TW2 (gen 2) adapters to use with your SE846?
They have ambient, great app with a feature-rich EQ and it's just overall a very good product.
If I had the SE846 that would have been my obvious choice as the TW2 are very comfy but the case is pretty big.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #40,459 of 62,627
Can anyone tell me if the FIIO UTWS5 adapters have ambient mode? I’m unable to find anything about it so I’m assuming no ambient mode. They are on sale locally and was wondering how they stack up against the Shure TW2 adapters.
There is a beta firmware with ambient mode. It works well. The official release is supposedly soon.

Dec 25, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #40,461 of 62,627
Have you considered the the Shure TW2 (gen 2) adapters to use with your SE846?
They have ambient, great app with a feature-rich EQ and it's just overall a very good product.
If I had the SE846 that would have been my obvious choice as the TW2 are very comfy but the case is pretty big.

I wish I had the se846s. I have the over the ear srh-840s that look like they're $150 right now. I don't feel that picky with earbuds and surprised I can't find something I like. I did try on a lot of headphones at guitar center back in the day to realize I loved the srh-840s, but those were hyped on here as well. It was between those and the ath-m50's, but the ath's didn't sound as good to me. I'm wondering if I would be better off going the bt hooks with iems, but also I'm looking to stay in that 300- price range. It just seems impossible to do this without trying a lot of stuff first, and was hoping someone would know prob what sound sig I'd like if I love my 840s.

Dec 25, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #40,462 of 62,627
There is a beta firmware with ambient mode. It works well. The official release is supposedly soon.
Did you try the beta version?

Dec 25, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #40,463 of 62,627
I wish I had the se846s. I have the over the ear srh-840s that look like they're $150 right now. I don't feel that picky with earbuds and surprised I can't find something I like. I did try on a lot of headphones at guitar center back in the day to realize I loved the srh-840s, but those were hyped on here as well. It was between those and the ath-m50's, but the ath's didn't sound as good to me. I'm wondering if I would be better off going the bt hooks with iems, but also I'm looking to stay in that 300- price range. It just seems impossible to do this without trying a lot of stuff first, and was hoping someone would know prob what sound sig I'd like if I love my 840s.
Oh sorry. My bad. In terms of sound quality I currently have the Sennheiser CX400BT, Shure TW2 attached to the stock SE215 Special Edition and the 1More Comfobuds Pro. All have strengths and weaknesses and their sound signature while somewhat similar they are different enough for my use case to have all 3 in my rotation.

Dec 25, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #40,465 of 62,627
I did, yes. It's not totally perfect, but ambient works pretty well.
Any degradation to the sound? And how do you activate the ambient mode? Through the app or you can use the button on the module?

Dec 25, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #40,466 of 62,627
Haven't seen much said here about the AZ60's call quality... How are they on zoom and other VOIPs?
I have the AZ60 and like them for a lot of reasons, call quality is not one of them people keep telling me they have problems hearing me. Based on what I read the AZ continuously scans while on calls as to improve audio quality. However in real life maybe the scanning in a very dynamic environment is not the right approach.

People have described that I keep going in and out on loudness and clarity which tells me the earphone is adjusting

For calls I revert to LG Tone Free FP8 , never any issue including outdoors when walking in crowded places,etc

Dec 25, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #40,467 of 62,627
Any degradation to the sound? And how do you activate the ambient mode? Through the app or you can use the button on the module?
Surprisingly, I did not notice any sound degradation when I A/B tested multiple ambient sound volume levels (and vs. ambient mode disabled).

Right now, you activate ambient mode within the app by setting a volume level. Supposedly, FiiO might be planning support to toggle it via the earhook button, but TBD on that.

My main feedback is that ambient currently requires an active audio stream to work (i.e., playing music, sitting in a vid call, etc.) and that wind noise suppression is inconsistent.

But, for hearing traffic on a run or hearing your own voice during a video call, etc. it works really well.

For whatever reason, the ambient microphone sound quality is seemingly better than the voice call quality.

I'm hopeful that FiiO will continue to support the UTWS5, because there is a lot of room to make an already great product amazing IMHO.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #40,468 of 62,627
Am I to understand the ATH also do multipoint? This is getting very tempting! Already put in my amazon basket, but I might wait to try the fit in shop (or if there's any January sale) .. any chance the @erockg can do some ANC comparison? So far already happy by your first impressions ...

ooooh, e-earphone already has a used (level C) set for sale .. might be that the damage is limited to missing a pair of ear tips ... then again, not a fan of blue

Oh, wait, maybe it's this pair that someone on amazon.jp complains about ... weird though that they say amazon won't take it back (pick up?)

I saw that review and there certainly can be a lemon but I totally threw it out cause they sound like a dummy really. Pick it up? Amazon gives you a label and you drop it off or give to a post man depending on the service. You want them to arrange for a pickup? They don't don't spend the extra so don't expect it and don't be lazy. I thought they were lazy/dumb and there was a real chance they didn't take the stickers off the contacts and that was the charge issue!

Yep, they seem to do multipoint just fine. I wasn't expecting it and tried with another device then shut that device off and the damn things were still playing stuff and I was like oh yeah multipoint. Either multipoit or haunted TWS :)

Good to know. They should have it for the money you pay and since it is a standard feature these days.

Merry Christmas, happy holiday everyone!!

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #40,469 of 62,627
Haven't seen much said here about the AZ60's call quality... How are they on zoom and other VOIPs?
I have not used my AZ60 in a really noisy setting yet. Walking on suburban streets with cars going by with wind have been no issue. I use them with my computer and Teams with no issue. But have not tried them on transit, at the mall, or on a busy downtown Street yet.

Dec 25, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #40,470 of 62,627

ath.jpg

ath2.jpg

ath3.jpg
Which headphones do you want me to compare ANC with? I’m actually selling off a bunch and keeping these because I truly love them. I’m not having any issues with them at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back