Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #40,126 of 62,403
We can agree to disagree, but I spent the better part of a few years looking into this. All the things you mentioned are CPU loads; it's your CPU that can't handle the task.

The Pixel 3a can't either, so this isn't a bragging point. Some devices will have no problem with transcoding 990, some physically will be unable to do it. If you're at the point where you're trying to disable a bunch of smartphone features to make 990 work, I think you're applying the wrong solution. Either stick with 660/Adaptive or upgrade the host device.

Guess we will disagree then. I have a note 20 ultra. It has a snapdragon 865 chip. This was the flagship in 2020. You can't compare it to a pixel 3.

Additionally every phone is built differently. Some wifi GPS and Bluetooth chips can cause interference with each other. This is a known and documented issue. Turning off location but still using the phone only turns off the hardware polling the radios (wifi GPS BT chips to update location status of the phone etc). The processor is still being used fully.

I am not disabling any features except the ability for the radios to continuous poll my location which I probably shouldn't have on any way.

Additionally there are always software bugs in Android. Otherwise it wouldn't require the how need to get certain Bluetooth settings to stick which has nothing to do with hardware

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #40,127 of 62,403
I found something interesting with the WF1000XM4.

EQ within the Sony app vs EQ on the phone (AudioWizard) :

EQ within the Sony app : too aggressive I would say, it made the trebles too forward, thin making it too hot (but still acceptable for me), not to mention that metallic sounds, and it made the soundstage sounds small.

26EBF665-2A40-45E1-B680-374BEAB28A95.jpeg

EQ on the phone (AudioWizard) : now we are talking, it surely opens up the sound, the trebles are getting some extensions while still taking a back seat behind the mids, gone those thin, metallic sound while maintaining those wide soundstage.

757DF677-1F78-4463-B87B-F0C20D041462.jpeg

Adding my preference ear tips for the XM4 which is the Sedna Crystal (second place), my first options would be the Tanchjim T300T and the third would be the Final tips for TWS.

28BE731E-E78A-4826-B4A8-6FE473FD8924.jpeg
07443684-DE43-4E7C-B0FC-ACA6C7D64830.jpeg
AA98524B-39A7-4262-B8B3-892703F90942.jpeg
9522175E-1961-4A29-8851-469898D9137D.jpeg

Talking about LDAC. I always use 990 options but only with the cellular data on, I found it very stable even in malls (it rarely stutter), once I turn on the wifi or location the Bluetooth connection becomes unstable but maintaining solid data connections, I'm using Rog phone 5 btw.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #40,128 of 62,403
I found something interesting with the WF1000XM4.

EQ within the Sony app vs EQ on the phone (AudioWizard) :

EQ within the Sony app : too aggressive I would say, it made the trebles too forward, thin making it too hot (but still acceptable for me), not to mention that metallic sounds, and it made the soundstage sounds small.

EQ on the phone (AudioWizard) : now we are talking, it surely opens up the sound, the trebles are getting some extensions while still taking a back seat behind the mids, gone those thin, metallic sound while maintaining those wide soundstage.

757DF677-1F78-4463-B87B-F0C20D041462.jpeg

Adding my preference ear tips for the XM4 which is the Sedna Crystal (second place), my first options would be the Tanchjim T300T and the third would be the Final tips for TWS.
Another satisfied Sedna user! Nice! Good find on the third-party EQ. For those who don't have access to AW, there's also Wavelet. Problem is it requires extra setup (including adb commands) to fully unlock its ability to work system-wide now. Not everybody's going to want to go through those steps. Does grant you the entire AutoEQ database, though, which turns my WH-1000XM4 from excessively warm to perfectly pleasant, especially once you boost Clear Bass by a couple notches to compensate for the lost bass. Have to imagine the curve they drew up for the in-ears would be similar in treatment.

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #40,129 of 62,403
Another satisfied Sedna user! Nice! Good find on the third-party EQ. For those who don't have access to AW, there's also Wavelet. Problem is it requires extra setup (including adb commands) to fully unlock its ability to work system-wide now. Not everybody's going to want to go through those steps. Does grant you the entire AutoEQ database, though, which turns my WH-1000XM4 from excessively warm to perfectly pleasant, especially once you boost Clear Bass by a couple notches to compensate for the lost bass. Have to imagine the curve they drew up for the in-ears would be similar in treatment.

Definitely satisfied with Sedna, I already have the Xelastec but it broke within months, soo I got the Crystals instead this time.

Yup Wavelet would be excellent choice, haven't tried it though cause the Rog phone is already equipped with AudioWizard out of the box, another options would be the PEQ inside the UAPP. Either way I much prefer the phone's EQ rather than Sony's, it made the sounds better while maintaining those Sony's warm sound signature without loosing the details.

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #40,130 of 62,403
Definitely satisfied with Sedna, I already have the Xelastec but it broke within months, soo I got the Crystals instead this time.

Yup Wavelet would be excellent choice, haven't tried it though cause the Rog phone is already equipped with AudioWizard out of the box, another options would be the PEQ inside the UAPP. Either way I much prefer the phone's EQ rather than Sony's, it made the sounds better while maintaining those Sony's warm sound signature without loosing the details.
Agreed; UAPP's DSP features are pretty expansive and having the ability to tie in a few streaming services is a major value-add. Honestly, anything besides Sony's limited EQ set is an improvement.

How did you manage to break the Xelastecs?

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #40,131 of 62,403
Agreed; UAPP's DSP features are pretty expansive and having the ability to tie in a few streaming services is a major value-add. Honestly, anything besides Sony's limited EQ set is an improvement.

How did you manage to break the Xelastecs?

I just use them normally with my XM4, then I see cracks on parts between the nozzle and the umbrella inside the tips within couple of months of use, and one day the nozzle and the umbrella detached themselves leaving the umbrella parts inside my ear, it is a scary experience cause Xelastec is really sticky, the doctor is finding a hard time to get them out of my ear canal, it took an hour to get the umbrella parts out.

Dec 11, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #40,132 of 62,403
I just use them normally with my XM4, then I see cracks on parts between the nozzle and the umbrella inside the tips within couple of months of use, and one day the nozzle and the umbrella detached themselves leaving the umbrella parts inside my ear, it is a scary experience cause Xelastec is really sticky, the doctor is finding a hard time to get them out of my ear canal, it took an hour to get the umbrella parts out.
Were you cleaning the tips regularly? The material they use on those Xelastec tips (TPE) can get brittle and dry out if the tips aren't kept clean. Wish Azla would be more obvious about that, but my lab experience has taught me that some of these more premium plastics/rubber materials require a certain level of care that most people aren't even aware of.

Can't remember who it was on Head-Fi, but there's apparently someone more outspokenly OCD about keeping their tips clean than I am, to the extent that they clean their ears before and after every insertion so nothing can ever stick to the tips in the first place. Especially under the Xelastec's shroud, man. That's just a hotbed for humidity and wax buildup. Premium tips require premium care, sadly.

Luckily, the Crystal are silicone and capable of handling a bit more abuse. There's a select couple sets I use those exclusively on due to their shape and how they benefit the sound sig (like the ADV M5-TWS 2nd Gen and WH3).

And speaking of tips, I spent the morning tip-rolling with the MTW2. I'm not usually a foam guy; I find them relatively hard to keep clean and another consumable part that requires constant replacement. That being said, I bought a ton of these things when I started the TWS journey and, by gum, I'm gonna use them. Turns out the Dekoni TWS tips make a perfect match for the MTW2 :)

55qTmkSwF2aK6Rh8Gkztd19_lM4kwDHYGCPJU81ezHsv6YEnYMpjSChVYUJm4CHVqAx5nTKap5TqVXaOCn17_BO-uWtdKzMMQmeY2eWzBAeyWcYg00ZZndW51eKarCCfgNdIOwFsPKQcHriH-wsTXRuOpNWiKZLBUtVTd5ebx0prBZSrBwH-7fZoQCboEsMRCeXs3q8XnxXj-lVYuDNqOLpCAlEk4KFKTCMVpRx-P6Ba5fyzrMaEpkycKTiBkL3TvS_vKWZoHQ5tf6dv8ORgcJWIeFkUPxUIGdjSn7Zwd1UL93sU66huCqzaKvyOkrF8ju-Orul8-AgVTbC7zh4fHuyF10etFI4pJDDTS9tLNMqL7z8wIy6B7AaaX-SXp-dW1tNbWUhUtCZll2G84HFRW4tslBRRbOs0tHA_uRVNRapDNLgm-eYkCoLrwl_B1AIBZxKWA5qVhMnlT3XYKxfZmzOtMvAhQ4hMQmF4Tm_ZMzSmJ5sKEDnt-Ia1RrkPBrhewddd7F5_idrL5XxAmCc1Ip9BvjRCaAp9Izwn67rvoDDrqCbVlDRJCSL8QUyOyaFU4AyEhsluYWI9dlBRWs7T616O7EZ3pzw2yispUwfnaYFJyHNhKs0BZKI5F4smNwdM1EjaqMDakpBhTxQ60oK3-NjxPZfs48WUFg0y6unzJ6Bsppe6_uPc9kam2Z2Yglf9gtFkLEKWHf6QQVctXBTJ0yBJ=w1236-h953-no

Case-compatible? Check.
Secure fit? Check. Even passes the smile test. I can grin like a complete idiot and the seal doesn't break
Non-fatiguing fit? Check. In typical Dekoni fashion, the more dense and quicker-rebound foam seems to feel more silicone-like (if that makes sense).
Messes up stock EQ? Nah. It's still pretty faithful to its original signature. Attack on the bass is a little softer, but not to the point where it just ends up completely diffused.

Only question is going to be how well they hold up over time. My understanding is the only cleaning necessary for these is to moisten your fingers and wipe around the perimeter. Since these don't require compression like Comply foam, I feel a little more optimistic about their longevity.

Truth be told, I also tried Comply's MTW2-specific tips (with and without a core). The model without a core both took forever to expand and also didn't fill out the cavity in my Left ear (which is usually the smaller of the two). The ones with muffled the sound too much for my tastes, but they may be perfect for treble-sensitive folks.

If you're interested in picking up a set (or multiple sets) for yourself, they can be found here and here.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #40,133 of 62,403
yikes

Dec 11, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #40,135 of 62,403
Fokus are outstanding. I can't put them down. Phone calls seem to work well, although my voice sounds deep. Sexy to some, but awkward on a work call. I did a EQ using the hearing test they've added to the app and I'm loving the sound. Noble truly does know how to make a great set of tws. Highly recommend if you're looking for top notch sound above all else.

Dec 11, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #40,136 of 62,403
Were you cleaning the tips regularly? The material they use on those Xelastec tips (TPE) can get brittle and dry out if the tips aren't kept clean. Wish Azla would be more obvious about that, but my lab experience has taught me that some of these more premium plastics/rubber materials require a certain level of care that most people aren't even aware of.

Can't remember who it was on Head-Fi, but there's apparently someone more outspokenly OCD about keeping their tips clean than I am, to the extent that they clean their ears before and after every insertion so nothing can ever stick to the tips in the first place. Especially under the Xelastec's shroud, man. That's just a hotbed for humidity and wax buildup. Premium tips require premium care, sadly.

Luckily, the Crystal are silicone and capable of handling a bit more abuse. There's a select couple sets I use those exclusively on due to their shape and how they benefit the sound sig (like the ADV M5-TWS 2nd Gen and WH3).

And speaking of tips, I spent the morning tip-rolling with the MTW2. I'm not usually a foam guy; I find them relatively hard to keep clean and another consumable part that requires constant replacement. That being said, I bought a ton of these things when I started the TWS journey and, by gum, I'm gonna use them. Turns out the Dekoni TWS tips make a perfect match for the MTW2 :)

55qTmkSwF2aK6Rh8Gkztd19_lM4kwDHYGCPJU81ezHsv6YEnYMpjSChVYUJm4CHVqAx5nTKap5TqVXaOCn17_BO-uWtdKzMMQmeY2eWzBAeyWcYg00ZZndW51eKarCCfgNdIOwFsPKQcHriH-wsTXRuOpNWiKZLBUtVTd5ebx0prBZSrBwH-7fZoQCboEsMRCeXs3q8XnxXj-lVYuDNqOLpCAlEk4KFKTCMVpRx-P6Ba5fyzrMaEpkycKTiBkL3TvS_vKWZoHQ5tf6dv8ORgcJWIeFkUPxUIGdjSn7Zwd1UL93sU66huCqzaKvyOkrF8ju-Orul8-AgVTbC7zh4fHuyF10etFI4pJDDTS9tLNMqL7z8wIy6B7AaaX-SXp-dW1tNbWUhUtCZll2G84HFRW4tslBRRbOs0tHA_uRVNRapDNLgm-eYkCoLrwl_B1AIBZxKWA5qVhMnlT3XYKxfZmzOtMvAhQ4hMQmF4Tm_ZMzSmJ5sKEDnt-Ia1RrkPBrhewddd7F5_idrL5XxAmCc1Ip9BvjRCaAp9Izwn67rvoDDrqCbVlDRJCSL8QUyOyaFU4AyEhsluYWI9dlBRWs7T616O7EZ3pzw2yispUwfnaYFJyHNhKs0BZKI5F4smNwdM1EjaqMDakpBhTxQ60oK3-NjxPZfs48WUFg0y6unzJ6Bsppe6_uPc9kam2Z2Yglf9gtFkLEKWHf6QQVctXBTJ0yBJ=w1236-h953-no

Case-compatible? Check.
Secure fit? Check. Even passes the smile test. I can grin like a complete idiot and the seal doesn't break
Non-fatiguing fit? Check. In typical Dekoni fashion, the more dense and quicker-rebound foam seems to feel more silicone-like (if that makes sense).
Messes up stock EQ? Nah. It's still pretty faithful to its original signature. Attack on the bass is a little softer, but not to the point where it just ends up completely diffused.

Only question is going to be how well they hold up over time. My understanding is the only cleaning necessary for these is to moisten your fingers and wipe around the perimeter. Since these don't require compression like Comply foam, I feel a little more optimistic about their longevity.

Truth be told, I also tried Comply's MTW2-specific tips (with and without a core). The model without a core both took forever to expand and also didn't fill out the cavity in my Left ear (which is usually the smaller of the two). The ones with muffled the sound too much for my tastes, but they may be perfect for treble-sensitive folks.

If you're interested in picking up a set (or multiple sets) for yourself, they can be found here and here.

Yes I clean them and all my tips regularly with baby wipes (non alcohol), it seems that the Xelastec can handle my 5-6 hours of daily use (it's 111 miles between my house and the office), but that doesn't stop me from buying another Sendas :D

Ikr, thankfully the doctor can pulled it out

I absolutely love the TANCHJIM T300T tips. Happy to see another user. By far my favorite balance of fit, comfort, and sound. No issues with them ever getting stuck in my ears, either. Even on different nozzles.

I love it too, they are really comfy, I have three pairs of them :D

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #40,137 of 62,403
Yes I clean them and all my tips regularly with baby wipes (non alcohol), it seems that the Xelastec can handle my 5-6 hours of daily use (it's 111 miles between my house and the office), but that doesn't stop me from buying another Sendas :D
That's the spirit! Now if they weren't so dang expensive to replace :)

Also, that's a lot of daily use. Any chance your ENT doc had something to say about such prolonged use?

Dec 11, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #40,138 of 62,403
Thanks @zeinharis when I turned off wifi my 990 issue resolved! So just can't use wifi. To many things in close proximity to each other causing interference.

Like @Canabuc I am using a close to top of the line phone S20 G5 so not very old and should have plenty of CPU ability.

I'm the end though this just shows that LDAC as a standard has definite issues. Unfortunately APTx LL seems to be costly because not enough manufacturers are picking it up, with Samsung leading that charge... :frowning2:. I know I can root my phone to get it enabled but my phone is to integral for work and on my dime so I can't afford to play games with that type of thing.

Good news is most of music is right on my phone so I don't need to stream much so turning off wifi isn't that big a deal for me.

Edit: now that I can hear 990 without interuption my old ears are struggling to hear a big difference (may also be my files that can be the limitation) plus I still get a bit of interference. So I think I will just live with 660 as it's good enough for me.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #40,140 of 62,403
Thanks @zeinharis when I turned off wifi my 990 issue resolved! So just can't use wifi. To many things in close proximity to each other causing interference.

Like @Canabuc I am using a close to top of the line phone S20 G5 so not very old and should have plenty of CPU ability.

I'm the end though this just shows that LDAC as a standard has definite issues. Unfortunately APTx LL seems to be costly because not enough manufacturers are picking it up, with Samsung leading that charge... :frowning2:. I know I can root my phone to get it enabled but my phone is to integral for work and on my dime so I can't afford to play games with that type of thing.

Good news is most of music is right on my phone so I don't need to stream much so turning off wifi isn't that big a deal for me.

Edit: now that I can hear 990 without interuption my old ears are struggling to hear a big difference (may also be my files that can be the limitation) plus I still get a bit of interference. So I think I will just live with 660 as it's good enough for me.
I kept wifi on but have Bixby routines set to turn off location when using my AZ60 and turn it back on after. This way I get the benefit of 990 without any features loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back