Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 12, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #40,157 of 62,402
I found something interesting with the WF1000XM4.

EQ within the Sony app vs EQ on the phone (AudioWizard) :

EQ within the Sony app : too aggressive I would say, it made the trebles too forward, thin making it too hot (but still acceptable for me), not to mention that metallic sounds, and it made the soundstage sounds small.

26EBF665-2A40-45E1-B680-374BEAB28A95.jpeg

EQ on the phone (AudioWizard) : now we are talking, it surely opens up the sound, the trebles are getting some extensions while still taking a back seat behind the mids, gone those thin, metallic sound while maintaining those wide soundstage.

757DF677-1F78-4463-B87B-F0C20D041462.jpeg

Adding my preference ear tips for the XM4 which is the Sedna Crystal (second place), my first options would be the Tanchjim T300T and the third would be the Final tips for TWS.

28BE731E-E78A-4826-B4A8-6FE473FD8924.jpeg
07443684-DE43-4E7C-B0FC-ACA6C7D64830.jpeg
AA98524B-39A7-4262-B8B3-892703F90942.jpeg
9522175E-1961-4A29-8851-469898D9137D.jpeg

Talking about LDAC. I always use 990 options but only with the cellular data on, I found it very stable even in malls (it rarely stutter), once I turn on the wifi or location the Bluetooth connection becomes unstable but maintaining solid data connections, I'm using Rog phone 5 btw.
I’m using the same tanchjim with mine, thanks for the eq option, i feel the xm4 super veiled but I’m not fond of the eq on the app. Ill give it a go

Heads up for the one plus buds pro, they are surely something quite impressive for the price, only 2 things: lhdc its reserved for op oxygen12 os, which… if you have a one plus… i hope you went back to o11, sad that an os has such dramatic end, it was the BEST android skin, and 2, the stock tips are ok, but it doesnt let you play a lot with others, the nozzle has an oval shape with a pair of retainers that have a funny grip and the charging case doesnt leave any space for em to stock full sized tips, i found the tanchjim and spiral dots ++ tws (the new ones) to work wonder with em, they pack a bass oriented tunning but the mids and the highs are quite impressive, for the price they receive way more playtime than my xm4 and jvc ha xc9t (amazon japan)

The jvc could be the kings, heck, they have an AMAZING soundstage and one of the biggest sub bass I’ve ever heard… though the lack of an app, the controls and fit… leave a lot to desire, adaptive apt x works ok but it has a clipping issue whenever the recording has massive sub bass rumble, whenever it goes to apt x they sound smooth with any source (tidal, Spotify etc)

Dec 12, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #40,158 of 62,402
I know it’s not necessarily earbud of choice but I’m using the APP for convenience if nothing else. What third party tip would you recommend? I think I’m over comply but can be convinced otherwise. That said, Sedna, ePro, etc? Thanks a lot.

Dec 12, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #40,159 of 62,402
I know it’s not necessarily earbud of choice but I’m using the APP for convenience if nothing else. What third party tip would you recommend? I think I’m over comply but can be convinced otherwise. That said, Sedna, ePro, etc? Thanks a lot.
I am using the e pro tips on mine and quite satisfied.

Dec 12, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #40,160 of 62,402
I was using the adapter that came from these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085M2TDJN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They allowed me to use any earbud tips. I was using Spinfits but then settled on these ePro: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LPTSVCV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The combo gave me a better fit, nice seal and felt great.

Dec 12, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #40,162 of 62,402
I've been recommending them in my reviews for a while. Both the bass and treble options work well for me.

The soundstage, adding a little bit of height and vocal comes through nicely as well

I’m using the same tanchjim with mine, thanks for the eq option, i feel the xm4 super veiled but I’m not fond of the eq on the app. Ill give it a go

Heads up for the one plus buds pro, they are surely something quite impressive for the price, only 2 things: lhdc its reserved for op oxygen12 os, which… if you have a one plus… i hope you went back to o11, sad that an os has such dramatic end, it was the BEST android skin, and 2, the stock tips are ok, but it doesnt let you play a lot with others, the nozzle has an oval shape with a pair of retainers that have a funny grip and the charging case doesnt leave any space for em to stock full sized tips, i found the tanchjim and spiral dots ++ tws (the new ones) to work wonder with em, they pack a bass oriented tunning but the mids and the highs are quite impressive, for the price they receive way more playtime than my xm4 and jvc ha xc9t (amazon japan)

The jvc could be the kings, heck, they have an AMAZING soundstage and one of the biggest sub bass I’ve ever heard… though the lack of an app, the controls and fit… leave a lot to desire, adaptive apt x works ok but it has a clipping issue whenever the recording has massive sub bass rumble, whenever it goes to apt x they sound smooth with any source (tidal, Spotify etc)

Wf1000XM4, Third party EQ + LDAC @990 + T300T = bliss :D

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #40,163 of 62,402
So what do the people think now? I mean… are these wireless IEMs now worthy of duking it out on sound terms with cabled/amped IEMs? I’ve got a very old Senn IE8 and I was thinking of going wireless, but hopefully without having to go don in sound quality

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #40,165 of 62,402
Do bluetooth iems benefit from lossless? Youmre still limited to the low bitrates of your bluetooth codec right? Especially if you’re on an iPhone, which only has AAC

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #40,166 of 62,402
If you're willing to look past some shortcomings, Galaxy Buds 2 does have a pretty good transparency mode, AND you can use it with just one individual earbud (Earfun Free Pro 1/2 and Liberty 3 Pro cannot!). It also keeps a constant volume, unlike the Galaxy Buds+ which gradually decreases the total volume to "adjust" to

There's a catch though - once you start tweaking the tone of transparency (clear vs soft) it starts to make this strange hissing sound intermittently when the slider is dragged towards clear.

By shortcomings I mean a) low SBC bitpool so forget about using these if you don't have AAC devices b) scalable codec distorts due to WiFi interference
What are you on about? The L3P supports single bud use?

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #40,167 of 62,402
Do bluetooth iems benefit from lossless? Youmre still limited to the low bitrates of your bluetooth codec right? Especially if you’re on an iPhone, which only has AAC
Yes, they can benefit if the codec supports higher bitrates like LDAC and APTXHD. You are correct about an iphone however. No solution there ATM but there is a dongle that creative makes that can convert the audio out on the iphone to APTXHD which means you can upgrade. Be nice if someone made a similar gadget with LDAC. Whether the benefits are noticeable are subject to intense debate around here but at least in theory, BT can be improved with lossess.

Dec 13, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #40,168 of 62,402
Best Buy has the black Sennheiser CX Plus for $129.95 today. I haven’t tried any of the Sennheiser TWS, but these have been the most appealing to me, so I couldn’t pass them up at $50 off.
It's a good deal. I have the CX 400BT which is the older model. I didn't like the CX as they sound different. I.e. more meaty and more bass, less spacious.
I think the CX Plus are also tuned differently from the first two models.

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #40,170 of 62,402

Users who are viewing this thread

Back