Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 8, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #39,151 of 62,419
Yeah it could be! The standard tips are okay in all honesty but a bit confusing in sizing because they have 4 different included tips right? And one set of the tips seem to be a lot more "flat" and wide while the rest are a bit more average/normal.
I needed to wear different tips for my ears too, so I'm thinking about getting some new tips next month or so. Not sure if i'm going Spinfits or AZLA though.

I haven't tried the CX 400BT, but I just tried the Sennheiser MTW2's and then switched back to the Comfobuds and the Sennheisers just STOMP the Comfobuds into the ground on details and I just feel like I can "feel" the music so much more on the Sennheisers.
For some reason I don't 100% love the MTW2's sound all throughout its range, but there is something about the soundstage and clarity in those that are way beyond anything else i've heard in a TWS. I've put them up for sale and i'm kinda sad about seeing them go because I just love the sound even if it has points I don't love with the sound itself (slightly too sibilant, slightly off-sounding upper mids I _think_. ), not so sure about what I think about it overall as TWS earbuds though.

I think male vocals sound better or at least more present on the Comfobuds but those areas that are just above it with synths just sound so much better on the Senns.
I do think the Comfobuds are overall a lot less likely to present the music in any sort of offensive way and that's a damn solid thing to do, and few earbuds that succeed with in my opinion. I really like the warmth and comforting sound of these, but the soundstage is slightly too narrow and the clarity is a few notches from what I would've wanted.
Yeah, the stock tips are confusing as a couple of them are wider and not as high so they kind of fit completely different. All the stock tips fit me in a strange way, it just depends how you like the fit.
I believe the CX 400BT is very similar if not identical to the MTW2 sans the features and the hi-res option in the app (or something similar to that) and while I really enjoy the sound and the imagining something about the soundstage doesn’t work for me for certain genres.
Best I can describe is as it’s like sitting in a concert hall around 5 rows away from the main stage and while it works fine for the highs and lows the mids and vocals at times don’t sound close enough for me and I need to crank up the volume. Details are good and the sound is pleasant but the Comfobuds Pro to my ears sound more effortless which better mids. The bass is strong but got a bit tighter over time and the highs are nice and crisp so while they are not technically the best for indoors and outdoors use I like them a lot despite the stem lol.
One thing that bothers me with the CX 400BT is that there isn’t much headroom and I need to crank up the volume on poorly recorded tracks.
I also think that over the years my taste has changed. I now prefer earphones that offer strong mids that aren’t colored. In my youngin’ days it was all about the V shape sound signature.

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #39,152 of 62,419
Thanks for being the guinea pig. :) Can't be just a 215. Even if they matched the 215 wired sound that was a little overpriced for $99. Don't think you would be that impressed if they were. Still too big and I doubt they would be good for me out at the park esp. with the fall winds with that shape. Cool that they auto ambient since why not? No reason not to. Does the case take other types of tips?
No ANC, so I don't think wind would be a factor. They're pretty snug too. Yes, the case can accommodate the Westone tips (large) and the other longer Comply Shure tips. Most buds (and I've tried way too many) do not have auto-ambient, so this IMO is a cool bonus :)

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #39,153 of 62,419
Thanks for the impressions on the AZ60. I understand that they're great for phone calls - is it still true outdoor with the usual noises (cars, wind, etc.) ?
I usually have the best results for phone calls with stems, where the mic is closer to the mouth. But if the AZ60 do the job correctly outside, I may take a pair.

Otherwise I think i'll consider the Comfobuds pro instead.

thanks

Edit: I'm coming from the Sony XM3 that I hate.. I find them big, ugly, and the fit is not great for me. Also, the call quality is not that great, I had a pair of SoundPeats Air3 that were way better for calls but that provided 0 isolation.
I also had that Grado gt220 for a while. Sound and fit were great but again, the mic was pretty useless and the controls were just impossible to use when it was cold outside... So looking for a new pair to replace these.
My use case is: good mic capacities so that I can take calls outside on the street, good isolation (active or passive) so that I can listen to music in the subway. If the SQ is great, all the better, so if you have any idea other than the AZ60 or the Comfobuds Pro...

Mic quality is really good even outside. Liberty3Pro and these AZ60 have equally good mic IMO. Technics have "Just my voice" which isolates your voice from the background noise which helps in outdoor noisy conditions. However, Liberty3Pro also do this without a fancy name and are almost as good. I agree that stem mics work the best but whatever these guys have done + technology evolving as well, works really well. These sound better than the Edifier NB2 TWS which had stem mics.

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #39,154 of 62,419
Thanks ! @Tommy C : can you have calls outside with the Comfobuds Pro ? Even with cars etc. around ?
I guess it should work well with the stem form factor but it depends on the mic quality and sound treatment as well.

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #39,155 of 62,419
Thanks ! @Tommy C : can you have calls outside with the Comfobuds Pro ? Even with cars etc. around ?
I guess it should work well with the stem form factor but it depends on the mic quality and sound treatment as well.
I can answer a bit for that, and the answer is yes. They're not the BEST at filtering out background noise but they're very good at picking up your voice so people usually hear your voice well enough that background noise will not be a big issue even if it can still be heard.

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #39,156 of 62,419
Yeah, the stock tips are confusing as a couple of them are wider and not as high so they kind of fit completely different. All the stock tips fit me in a strange way, it just depends how you like the fit.
I believe the CX 400BT is very similar if not identical to the MTW2 sans the features and the hi-res option in the app (or something similar to that) and while I really enjoy the sound and the imagining something about the soundstage doesn’t work for me for certain genres.
Best I can describe is as it’s like sitting in a concert hall around 5 rows away from the main stage and while it works fine for the highs and lows the mids and vocals at times don’t sound close enough for me and I need to crank up the volume. Details are good and the sound is pleasant but the Comfobuds Pro to my ears sound more effortless which better mids. The bass is strong but got a bit tighter over time and the highs are nice and crisp so while they are not technically the best for indoors and outdoors use I like them a lot despite the stem lol.
One thing that bothers me with the CX 400BT is that there isn’t much headroom and I need to crank up the volume on poorly recorded tracks.
I also think that over the years my taste has changed. I now prefer earphones that offer strong mids that aren’t colored. In my youngin’ days it was all about the V shape sound signature.
Yeah, but the hi-fi tuning thing in the Sennheiser MTW2's is what makes them sound so damn good. Just on stock settings they're good but not anywhere near as impressing.
But yeah I think all the tips fit me except the smallest, but also none of them really fit me if that makes sense? Well, the left ear where I use the largest "normal" tip it's pretty solid. For the right ear I had to use the wider tip because my right ear in general is pretty weird and I usually do get fit issues with that ear, but anyway I would want a slightly larger tip there too. Tried some from the other TWS's I have and I got way better fit and isolation, but unfortunately I felt like sound quality suffered a bit.
I understand what you mean about the vocals though, they do get slightly too far away. Honestly what I want is the vocals to be a bit closer like in the comfobuds, but the instruments to have more depth and width like the Sennheisers. Maybe that doesn't make sense or wouldn't work in a practical sense but on paper that sounds good.

But yeah, like you said, the Comfobuds really sound pleasant. They don't sound the BEST, but they sound very effortless and they really nailed the type of sound where nothing sticks out as bad or harsh, but still manages to not sound OVERLY dark in the treble region even if I would love a bit more sparkle.
I'm listening to an album now that I thought had really shouty (not stylistically but the recording of it) and overly sharp vocals, and with these it sounds really good and makes me appreciate the album way more than I did before, I can tell that the strings of the album lacks a little bit not getting to show a bit of sparkle and "bite" from that treble region not being boosted more. I can't tell if the treble region is rolled off or just simply "flat", but yeah.

The stem design might not be the most appealing from an aesthetic standpoint, but I like knowing that the mics are pointed towards my mouth. With regular TWS earbuds I feel like the way I need to wear some pairs to get the best fit I sometimes aim the mics in a position that's slightly off so the voice quality/volume degrades slightly.
I'm definitely going away slightly from the V-shaped sound that I loved when I was younger, but I can still appreciate it from time to time, but somewhat neutral earbuds are what floats my boat the most. If the EQ included with the comfobuds also had like a regular 5-10 band EQ and not just presets I think these would be 10/10 for value.

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #39,158 of 62,419
Had a week with the Sennheiser CX Plus, quite impressed with the ANC once you get the fit right, obviously nothing compared to the XM4 but at the price point, very decent. The tips supplied with the CX plus are awful though. Every tws should come with the comply like tips that the XM4 come with, such a great fit and seal. Soundstage was probably what stood out most with the CX Plus, bass was there but was flabby and didn't have the same kind of impact as the XM4, the app is not too shabby either, transparency mode was great, good set for the asking price I have to say. Used them on a windy day as well and they dealt with the wind noise pretty good, was surprised.

Gave them to the missus though, she likes them. I didn't like the feel of the material used on the buds and case as well, felt cheap and more importantly slippery. It ticks a lot of boxes, but not for me, lacks the polish of the xm4 on all fronts.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #39,159 of 62,419

I can answer a bit for that, and the answer is yes. They're not the BEST at filtering out background noise but they're very good at picking up your voice so people usually hear your voice well enough that background noise will not be a big issue even if it can still be heard.
That’s exactly my experience during phone calls. I live in a super busy and noisy city and usually take calls outside. People can hear me very well but the mics will pick up some background noise so they don’t filter the sound completely but most people said it’s perfectly fine but they could tell I was outside. Compared to other TWS that I use for calls the Comfobuds Pro do quite well as with some other buds in the past some people on the phone said it was unbearable to carry a conversation.

Another test that I normally do is at home making phone calls while doing the dishes. People on the call can hear the water running but said it was very subtle compared to other TWS that I had in the past.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #39,160 of 62,419
Is there any passive isolation with the Comfobuds Pro ? Or is the ANC sufficient so that they can be used in the subway for example?
They have some degree of passive noise canceling with the right tips but it’s far from being good but it’s by design.
The ANC though works great for me and you have Strong or Mild.

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #39,161 of 62,419
Anyone got the Tronsmart Onyx Prime yet? Putting them through testing today, not bad at all. Surprisingly very impressive.

I'm still waiting for my unit to arrive, hopefully in a couple of days.

they also seems to have a special price for it in Aliexpress for the 11-11 Sale event

Prime: https://bit.ly/3lHfw4V
Tronsmart official store on Aliexpress: http://bit.ly/34eZu6O

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #39,162 of 62,419
Day 2 with the Technics AZ60. Really enjoying these...they seem to check every box for me: sounds like the Soundpeats H1, excellent mic, functional app, excellent noise cancelling and ambient mode, decent battery life, good volume, and multipoint connection (though can be a bit buggy). I hear the AZ70 are a bit less bassy and more sparkly but I don't find that the bass on the AZ60 muddles the sound so I haven't bothered EQing from the default setting.
Anyone else with the AZ60 having issues with connectivity? It cuts out pretty often while walking outside with my phone in my pocket or through the wall if I’m one room away (maybe like 25 feet).

Nov 9, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #39,163 of 62,419
Anyone else with the AZ60 having issues with connectivity? It cuts out pretty often while walking outside with my phone in my pocket or through the wall if I’m one room away (maybe like 25 feet).
Is that with LDAC?

Nov 9, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #39,165 of 62,419

Users who are viewing this thread

Back