Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 14, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #36,256 of 62,435
I’m really on the fence about the PI7. They get loud enough for me, but I’m an iPhone guy, so while AAC sounds good, it’s not at good as AptX. So I use the creative dongle, but it has a tendency to skip and crackle, which is less than ideal. So I’m trying to compare the two sets using just AAC and the Klipsch are so clear and have punchy bass. The PI7 sound wonderful sometimes, bringing out bass lines I really enjoy hearing, but as others have said, sometimes the bass seems like it’s veiling high hats and snares. It’s really obvious when compared to the Klipsch.

It’s starting to sound like I’m returning those PI7 on Monday
I know others may disagree here, but I would return them. They're expensive, the battery just doesn't last, and for a first gen product that I had been waiting on from B&W, I truly felt they dropped the ball. I so very much wanted them to be perfect. I prefer my Devialet, Klipsch and M&Ws. But it's just one mans opinion :wink: I've got the new B&O EQs coming next week so we'll see how they stack up against my big boys.

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #36,257 of 62,435
They are a little sterile in the mids and highs but they’re still pretty good when you get used to the sound signature. I wouldn’t say that I love them but honestly not sure I could say that about any TW earbuds I’ve had when it comes to purely the sound.
Totally agree -- trust your own ears. I will say, the MTW2s are starting to get overshadowed by so many newer models. The tech keeps getting better. It's quite exciting.

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #36,258 of 62,435
Totally agree -- trust your own ears. I will say, the MTW2s are starting to get overshadowed by so many newer models. The tech keeps getting better. It's quite exciting.
Any ETA for the next version of the MTW2s? They have been around for almost a year and a half and are looking a little long in the (Blue)tooth compared to the great gear the competition has been releasing.

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #36,259 of 62,435
I know others may disagree here, but I would return them. They're expensive, the battery just doesn't last, and for a first gen product that I had been waiting on from B&W, I truly felt they dropped the ball. I so very much wanted them to be perfect. I prefer my Devialet, Klipsch and M&Ws. But it's just one mans opinion :wink: I've got the new B&O EQs coming next week so we'll see how they stack up against my big boys.
What makes the decision more difficult is I got the PI7 for same price as Klipsch. And I reeeaaallly want to like the PI7

Aug 14, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #36,260 of 62,435
Any ETA for the next version of the MTW2s? They have been around for almost a year and a half and are looking a little long in the (Blue)tooth compared to the great gear the competition has been releasing.
Nothing on my radar. I usually check the FCC site and haven’t see anything recently.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #36,261 of 62,435
I will say this again - for me the MTW2 sounds much more balanced and right with Comply foam tips (for Sennheiser TWS). With the supplied silicone overall balance was somewhat off and no amount of EQ could correct it 100% (although it did better it). Again goes to show how important a proper fit and seal is for the driver to reach its potential. Getting them seated properly is a bit cumbersome but worth it.

Aug 14, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #36,262 of 62,435
I am selling on most of my TWS stuff in case any are interested. My N6 Pro 2, CKR70TW, Cleer, 2 JVC's, Sabbat etc. Figure I'd mention here before putting up the rest of my listings here and on ebay.

Aug 14, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #36,263 of 62,435
Fair enough, but I'm not suggesting buying them specifically because of the ANC. In my real world conditions, the ANC kills the fans and outdoor noise while I'm stuck at home working during the pandemic. The ANC in combination with the passive isolation is quite good for my use. That said, I'm suggesting mores because there is definitely a better sound signature, the app seems to work better on my iPhone (better than the standard/older T5 II, Dirac really does make a difference, wireless charging works perfectly, transparency/passthrough mode works better (probably because of the mics) and Bragi gestures are incredibly convenient. Sure, if he doesn't want that, then go for the model that is dirt cheap right now. For me, I want the latest improved tech.
Also the drivers are new so it’s not apples to apples minus ANC. I’m with Erockg on this - don’t buy dated tws. Buy the latest and greatest tech or don’t bother. It’s not worth the small savings.

Aug 14, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #36,264 of 62,435
Will be interesting to see your take on the EQs.

Aug 15, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #36,265 of 62,435
Sony XM4 battery life question. I thought I had seen a detailed test somewhere but can’t find now. I am a bit surprised that I now already twice ran into the ‘battery low - please charge’ warning. Which I attribute to 2 things. A) I love those buds and forget I have them in and easily go 3-4h forgetting I am wearing them. B) ANC & LDAC always on. That noise canceling eats battery is clear, but does the higher bit rate also have an effect?
next time I really need to make note of the time, but I think it’s less than 4h now when the warning came …

Aug 15, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #36,266 of 62,435
Sony XM4 battery life question. I thought I had seen a detailed test somewhere but can’t find now. I am a bit surprised that I now already twice ran into the ‘battery low - please charge’ warning. Which I attribute to 2 things. A) I love those buds and forget I have them in and easily go 3-4h forgetting I am wearing them. B) ANC & LDAC always on. That noise canceling eats battery is clear, but does the higher bit rate also have an effect?
next time I really need to make note of the time, but I think it’s less than 4h now when the warning came …
Every extra feature drains battery: anc/ambient, ldac, equalizer, dsee, assistants and speak to chat.

Aug 15, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #36,269 of 62,435
Also the drivers are new so it’s not apples to apples minus ANC. I’m with Erockg on this - don’t buy dated tws. Buy the latest and greatest tech or don’t bother. It’s not worth the small savings.
I'm somewhat agreeing because the Bluetooth tech is improving drastically and I can tell how damn fast earbuds have gotten to connect with phones on BT 5.2, I have three earbuds with 5.2 and two with... i'm not sure, 5.0 or 5.1, and most if not all of the 5.2 earbuds are already connected by the time i've gotten them in my ears, while the MT2's need a couple of seconds before it's connected.

But I feel like sound is the thing that has progressed the least on average, and if an older earbud is known to sound good and are offered at a discounted price I see few reasons to snag them if they're not known to suffer from some specific issue. If sound happens to be the main priority, of course.
Otherwise yes, agreed. Especially since you can find cheaper buds today that rival the performance of more expensive buds from just a year (ish) ago.

Aug 15, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #36,270 of 62,435

Users who are viewing this thread

Back