Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 17, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #33,331 of 62,165
Didn't Dave say they were tooling one up? Pretty sure I asked a couple weeks ago. If I remember right, it just wouldn't be ready by the EVO's release.
Yes, they will be releasing one eventually. And he said it likely wouldn’t be ready for release. Though the Etymotic Instagram page said preorders would start last week :p Hopefully delay means they might (I doubt it) get the cable ready with launch?

May 17, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #33,332 of 62,165
Yes, they will be releasing one eventually. And he said it likely wouldn’t be ready for release. Though the Etymotic Instagram page said preorders would start last week :p Hopefully delay means they might (I doubt it) get the cable ready with launch?
I like the way you think

May 18, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #33,333 of 62,165
May 18, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #33,334 of 62,165
for me the UTWS3 is a no-brainer…it simply blows away every other wireless IEMs I have owned, it is not even a close call and for often half the price of the higher end offerings..

comfort wise I find them excellent and they fit very securely , no problem with spectacles either, way better than the Sony WF that alway felt like they were going to fall out (same story with the Senn MTW)
I wonder how the UTWS3 would sound with my JH Lola's... I actually bought the JH bluetooth cable but unlike the balanced cable, it doesn't have a way to adjust the bass and it was set to high for my liking

May 18, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #33,335 of 62,165
I wonder how the UTWS3 would sound with my JH Lola's... I actually bought the JH bluetooth cable but unlike the balanced cable, it doesn't have a way to adjust the bass and it was set to high for my liking
UTWS3 doesn’t have custom EQ BTW, just preset EQs. Their BT neckband has a very good 10-band EQ though.

May 18, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #33,337 of 62,165
spotify-hifi-icon.jpg

Wk9INus.jpeg
BNCMMbh.jpeg

Fresh Spotify leaks. Launching soon I'd imagine.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/truespotify/comments/netuuw/i_successfully_opened_the_hifi_menu_by_quickly/

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #33,338 of 62,165
Took delivery of the Master & Dynamic MW08 today, judging by the fact that my son (home from uni) keeps having to answer the door to take in my deliveries ) he hates being awake during the day) they have excellent anc. Im now in bass heaven.

May 18, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #33,340 of 62,165
Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #33,341 of 62,165
Just got Edifier tws1 pro today.

So far low volume at 100% (no headroom and AC/DC Thunderstruck should blow my ears off) so same issues as SoundPeats Sonics as near same spec, I bet they have same battery issues and one side but will die soon (had right side cut out sound wise but controls were still working so was volume beeps, had to put them in their case to fix issue).

Poor sound overall and no way to manually pair to a 2nd pair using the buttons and no way to power on/off with buttons (Sonic does both), do not see these on their site and App does not support them and got warning from ESET about it so removed it once I tried to get it to accept these.

May 18, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #33,342 of 62,165
Just got Edifier tws1 pro today.

So far low volume at 100% (no headroom and AC/DC Thunderstruck should blow my ears off) so same issues as SoundPeats Sonics as near same spec, I bet they have same battery issues and one side but will die soon (had right side cut out sound wise but controls were still working so was volume beeps, had to put them in their case to fix issue).

Poor sound overall and no way to manually pair to a 2nd pair using the buttons and no way to power on/off with buttons (Sonic does both), do not see these on their site and App does not support them and got warning from ESET about it so removed it once I tried to get it to accept these.
Well glad you were able to get your impressions on 'em. Mine never arrived. Still holding out for a shipping notice from Status, come to think of it.

Does that mean the TWS1 Pro gets returned and it's on to the next one? If so, what are you considering?

May 18, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #33,343 of 62,165
A2048F8C-52F5-4B88-AF78-2A23113E9B14.jpeg

latest KZ TWS: SKS ($29 on aliexpress, $48 on Amazon (rip off))
5.2, nicely balanced harman curve with bass boost. Very good TWS collection for reasonable price. Wow! KZ nailed it!!
Still waiting KZ Z1 Pro (XUN driver 1DD).
I’m more impressed than CCA C10 pro, KZ ZSN PRO X, NiceHCK DB3 which arrived at the same time. It’s the TWS sounding better tuned than those three.

70C586FB-0072-4DED-9026-90CEF880787B.jpeg

Upon arrival of KZ Z1 Pro, and Moondrop Sparks, I will do a comparison among KZ S1D, Z1Pro, SKS, Moondrop Sparks, and Airpods Pro.

[Update]
Although being a TWS, with proper ear tips, KZ SKS is one of the best tuned out of KZ from my 20+ KZ experience! Wow! KZ nailed it! Not a typical 30095. It sounds Harman-ish W-shape tuning, no big spikes, smooth and bass focused.

I can recall this sound signature as a bit brighter Mangird Tea. This brings me hope for AST, it might actually work! AST uses a bunch of #30019 BAs which SKS uses 1x custom-tuned 30019 +10mm DD.

SKS seemed to have a 3khz pinna gain peaks like the one of those in Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk or Softears RSV.
If it matches your gain spots, it resonates very well for female vocals/guitar/snare drums.

I thought mid-range specialty was one of CCA's, but KZ seemed is leaning toward mid-range focused rather than typical V-shaped harsh tuning.
SKS has a wide sound stage, like CCA CSN, with bass-rolled Harman-ish with 3khz gain spot hitting tuning. (W-Shaped, warm, bass-rolled wide sound stage)

Honestly, I prefer this tuning over ZAX, it doesn't extend treble and air too much so that the technical weakness of KZ tweeter BA drivers could stay subtle.
Kudos to KZ engineers who tuned SKS.

SKS matches with the thin-skinned bass-boost type of ear tips, like Sony hybrids. I use one of UM's. SKS is generally warm. For $29 on Aliexpress ($48 on Amazon, nah) SKS is a good blind buy even compared to wired IEMs of the range, for someone looking fun and warm-tuned pair of IEM.
Only draw back is "CONEKTAD!!" "PALING" extremely heavy Chinese accent voice guide. I can not tell whether it is saying "Powering" or "Paring".

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #33,344 of 62,165
I have been quiet lately as went back to my SoundPeats Neckband as the SoundPeats Sonics one side died in 1st month.

And I tell a lie above as the Sonics right bud is not dead it still controls the music via its button so its the speaker that is dead or not getting sound somehow.

Also they do have manually pairing using the buttons (read the tiny text manual as none online on their site), hold either side for 3 secs, bit iffy as volume is also long press so you may enter pairing by error adjusting volume.

I kickstarted the SoundPeats H1 Premiums and had some issues with one side going quiet and other muddy and now one is permanently quieter so cannot use (many have same issues as myself on both Sonics/H1's), battery claims on both even at lower than 60% volume is a joke.

I then got the SoundPeats T2 ANC, again glitches in that they randomly decide to turn off etc and battery is nowhere near stated even at lower than 60% volume (again many have same issues).

I do not think there is any ideal TWS out there at any price, I have had Sony/Bose/The high end Anker SoundCore models and OneMore models.

I can fall back to my Fiio LC-BT2+ FH3's for indoor.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #33,345 of 62,165
Ok here goes...I will don my flame suit and prepare for the ire that this statement is probably going to garner: I'm going to be de-throning the Melomania Touch and replacing it with the ADV M5-TWS (2nd Gen) for my "midrange" recommendation for the SQ-focused consumers out there.

The Melomania Touch is still timing out after an hour of listening with apps like Neutron and UAPP; this happens regardless of the selected BT stack. I thought this was something they removed after the latest firmware update, but I am still encountering it. Such a shame, too, as they're tuned such that you could listen to them for hours if that weren't the case. The ADV will play right up until the battery dies or you happen to walk far enough away for signal to cut out. As soon as you're back in range, they seem to reconnect, but you will have to manually restart whatever track you're listening to.

They're both supremely comfortable, just in different ways. It's practically a coin toss in terms of which I prefer more. If anything, the ADV do protrude a bit more from the ears, but I don't have nearly the same amount of microphone issues as I do with the MT (constantly being asked to repeat things, for example). I can also maintain a more consistent seal with the M5, regardless of tips used.

The tuning...Oh my word, the tuning. Listening to the MT on its own is a completely enjoyable experience, but there are very apparent improvements in the M5's midbass/midrange management and treble extension when compared against the MT. I think the stigma of being "tuned by Harmon" really did a disservice to ADV as people expected something that, well, was tuned exactly to the Harman target. In all honesty, I wish the JBL were tuned more like the M5 rather than the other way around. They honestly make up for the JBL's shortcomings, especially on the lower end, and especially in terms of volume output. You shouldn't have any headroom concerns with the M5, but most of us did with the JBL until we added that gain boost in the in-app EQ. The sort of attack you get with the M5 is palpable. It's infectious. It's sorely missing from the MT's more warm, polite representation, and I can't get enough of it.

Even listening to Genesis' stereo mix of "Get 'Em Out By Friday" displays a clear and identifiable stage. Each drum hit is properly captured and defined, right down to the last muted snare roll or cymbal ride. Never does the basswork fall behind in the mix. Everybody gets a chance to shine and It's honestly an impressive listen. Super grateful to @samandhi for making the recommendation and it became the perfect album to use when unwinding for the night. Not even the UE FITS rendered that song as completely as the M5 did; you really do benefit from that improved low end.

So, for all those folks who followed my suggestion to hold off until the initial impressions were done, perhaps it's time to reconsider and just be aware of the M5's limitations. Based on the lack of developer support for firmware, it's probably still a little too soon to invest more in the customs, but good news is the universal feels great as is.

This is Head-Fi after all, so sorry about your wallet :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back