Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 18, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #33,346 of 62,453
Ok here goes...I will don my flame suit and prepare for the ire that this statement is probably going to garner: I'm going to be de-throning the Melomania Touch and replacing it with the ADV M5-TWS (2nd Gen) for my "midrange" recommendation for the SQ-focused consumers out there.

The Melomania Touch is still timing out after an hour of listening with apps like Neutron and UAPP; this happens regardless of the selected BT stack. I thought this was something they removed after the latest firmware update, but I am still encountering it. Such a shame, too, as they're tuned such that you could listen to them for hours if that weren't the case. The ADV will play right up until the battery dies or you happen to walk far enough away for signal to cut out. As soon as you're back in range, they seem to reconnect, but you will have to manually restart whatever track you're listening to.

They're both supremely comfortable, just in different ways. It's practically a coin toss in terms of which I prefer more. If anything, the ADV do protrude a bit more from the ears, but I don't have nearly the same amount of microphone issues as I do with the MT (constantly being asked to repeat things, for example). I can also maintain a more consistent seal with the M5, regardless of tips used.
yr1KQCB95gbPxc95nRiNYEo9gbxYX6wFhq1laEVPwwGaF43diEsMZp3Oe-xMzDZtj3sCpFb93sm5sovo-F87-ofrZNawWjgXycMMCgs5VQBV4PZbTpe1fDC28TpU66CvP-AjhxTY--rfLPKh4pFoF-_oJ35FT6a7NXyXqrIHpSwUhJUoZSh6tZIodIVKb-iEK-XCo3IyewUIFo7cbL3HSTU9QQByWSeXeeHD4zBQhOBCydypaGra3ng6qjh9OaEq8W1dznLN7i6mFBY0_GitBBYn-o51cAr5zEvAEJ5W5p0AA2fqk8h87-NVwyfbpIAxnZM6fy3W7pRi1O5Wjdz9L2C_iwW21zVEr87-T1yMKY9rj9ICkOWpwKTemg9tzTWNttGcl8OCO0z8dkwfVJ8rA1VlK0x_D8zLc2-_MsicjRpT8OvGTTBihkeCS15sRl-XzE_AlUhjvM705jQANZ0sBsVgiGhYQvMBnaaxceOBgHYidqSGW4Cw_MqDTmz8noGWoVFgfRtaTswfdU1mYWzMgJoEJ_HNEbQW-vwHkMEoX2laFelD5kS8lLcbICuDFNGAgkcpB2IMujqWhMOwUBdLCHH0PyRRE6kOS6C_PJeHpEiu4_Rk6FlNGvkcdNDSyfNbpCqrAhlYtM-MY-Z7tXJmg5a_ZgyG2GyIpavnpJ2ucrCpjYCU4LYXp8fIOhQNyxpw0QSzJDv960QpiuSQeMxzZp2EBw=w1783-h1337-no

The tuning...Oh my word, the tuning. Listening to the MT on its own is a completely enjoyable experience, but there are very apparent improvements in the M5's midbass/midrange management and treble extension when compared against the MT. I think the stigma of being "tuned by Harmon" really did a disservice to ADV as people expected something that, well, was tuned exactly to the Harman target. In all honesty, I wish the JBL were tuned more like the M5 rather than the other way around. They honestly make up for the JBL's shortcomings, especially on the lower end, and especially in terms of volume output. You shouldn't have any headroom concerns with the M5, but most of us did with the JBL until we added that gain boost in the in-app EQ. The sort of attack you get with the M5 is palpable. It's infectious. It's sorely missing from the MT's more warm, polite representation, and I can't get enough of it.

Even listening to Genesis' stereo mix of "Get 'Em Out By Friday" displays a clear and identifiable stage. Each drum hit is properly captured and defined, right down to the last muted snare roll or cymbal ride. Never does the basswork fall behind in the mix. Everybody gets a chance to shine and It's honestly an impressive listen. Super grateful to @samandhi for making the recommendation and it became the perfect album to use when unwinding for the night. Not even the UE FITS rendered that song as completely as the M5 did; you really do benefit from that improved low end.

So, for all those folks who followed my suggestion to hold off until the initial impressions were done, perhaps it's time to reconsider and just be aware of the M5's limitations. Based on the lack of developer support for firmware, it's probably still a little too soon to invest more in the customs, but good news is the universal feels great as is.

This is Head-Fi after all, so sorry about your wallet :)
“sorry about your wallet” - everybody says that, and yet they keep putting the temptation out there...!

May 18, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #33,347 of 62,453
“sorry about your wallet” - everybody says that, and yet they keep putting the temptation out there...!
The more time I spend here, the more I start to think it's because people just don't like keeping secrets when they find the good stuff.

Man, what a roller-coaster ride that review cycle was. Learned a lot about shuttering expectations, though.

May 18, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #33,348 of 62,453
The more time I spend here, the more I start to think it's because people just don't like keeping secrets when they find the good stuff.

Man, what a roller-coaster ride that review cycle was. Learned a lot about shuttering expectations, though.
I have tremend appreciation and respect for those that can and are willing to share their experience with others! But, yeah, my wallet, ouch...

May 18, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #33,349 of 62,453
Hey guys! After hours and hours of searching and comparing, i ended up with Jabra Elite Active 75T. Bought it second hand, both mint color(gorgeous) and mint condition! I payed 99 usd for it. Only used once, bought april 10th and has reciept😃(cause or warranty and validation of an original product.insane many fakes out there)!

May 18, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #33,350 of 62,453
Ok here goes...I will don my flame suit and prepare for the ire that this statement is probably going to garner: I'm going to be de-throning the Melomania Touch and replacing it with the ADV M5-TWS (2nd Gen) for my "midrange" recommendation for the SQ-focused consumers out there.

The Melomania Touch is still timing out after an hour of listening with apps like Neutron and UAPP; this happens regardless of the selected BT stack. I thought this was something they removed after the latest firmware update, but I am still encountering it. Such a shame, too, as they're tuned such that you could listen to them for hours if that weren't the case. The ADV will play right up until the battery dies or you happen to walk far enough away for signal to cut out. As soon as you're back in range, they seem to reconnect, but you will have to manually restart whatever track you're listening to.

They're both supremely comfortable, just in different ways. It's practically a coin toss in terms of which I prefer more. If anything, the ADV do protrude a bit more from the ears, but I don't have nearly the same amount of microphone issues as I do with the MT (constantly being asked to repeat things, for example). I can also maintain a more consistent seal with the M5, regardless of tips used.
yr1KQCB95gbPxc95nRiNYEo9gbxYX6wFhq1laEVPwwGaF43diEsMZp3Oe-xMzDZtj3sCpFb93sm5sovo-F87-ofrZNawWjgXycMMCgs5VQBV4PZbTpe1fDC28TpU66CvP-AjhxTY--rfLPKh4pFoF-_oJ35FT6a7NXyXqrIHpSwUhJUoZSh6tZIodIVKb-iEK-XCo3IyewUIFo7cbL3HSTU9QQByWSeXeeHD4zBQhOBCydypaGra3ng6qjh9OaEq8W1dznLN7i6mFBY0_GitBBYn-o51cAr5zEvAEJ5W5p0AA2fqk8h87-NVwyfbpIAxnZM6fy3W7pRi1O5Wjdz9L2C_iwW21zVEr87-T1yMKY9rj9ICkOWpwKTemg9tzTWNttGcl8OCO0z8dkwfVJ8rA1VlK0x_D8zLc2-_MsicjRpT8OvGTTBihkeCS15sRl-XzE_AlUhjvM705jQANZ0sBsVgiGhYQvMBnaaxceOBgHYidqSGW4Cw_MqDTmz8noGWoVFgfRtaTswfdU1mYWzMgJoEJ_HNEbQW-vwHkMEoX2laFelD5kS8lLcbICuDFNGAgkcpB2IMujqWhMOwUBdLCHH0PyRRE6kOS6C_PJeHpEiu4_Rk6FlNGvkcdNDSyfNbpCqrAhlYtM-MY-Z7tXJmg5a_ZgyG2GyIpavnpJ2ucrCpjYCU4LYXp8fIOhQNyxpw0QSzJDv960QpiuSQeMxzZp2EBw=w1783-h1337-no

The tuning...Oh my word, the tuning. Listening to the MT on its own is a completely enjoyable experience, but there are very apparent improvements in the M5's midbass/midrange management and treble extension when compared against the MT. I think the stigma of being "tuned by Harmon" really did a disservice to ADV as people expected something that, well, was tuned exactly to the Harman target. In all honesty, I wish the JBL were tuned more like the M5 rather than the other way around. They honestly make up for the JBL's shortcomings, especially on the lower end, and especially in terms of volume output. You shouldn't have any headroom concerns with the M5, but most of us did with the JBL until we added that gain boost in the in-app EQ. The sort of attack you get with the M5 is palpable. It's infectious. It's sorely missing from the MT's more warm, polite representation, and I can't get enough of it.

Even listening to Genesis' stereo mix of "Get 'Em Out By Friday" displays a clear and identifiable stage. Each drum hit is properly captured and defined, right down to the last muted snare roll or cymbal ride. Never does the basswork fall behind in the mix. Everybody gets a chance to shine and It's honestly an impressive listen. Super grateful to @samandhi for making the recommendation and it became the perfect album to use when unwinding for the night. Not even the UE FITS rendered that song as completely as the M5 did; you really do benefit from that improved low end.

So, for all those folks who followed my suggestion to hold off until the initial impressions were done, perhaps it's time to reconsider and just be aware of the M5's limitations. Based on the lack of developer support for firmware, it's probably still a little too soon to invest more in the customs, but good news is the universal feels great as is.

I was just looking at the M5 TWS review on theheadphonelist.com and I read the following:

”Clarity and openness are both defining traits of the M5’s presentation and this is likely the most revealing midrange I’ve heard from a TWS earphone yet. That said, I would not consider it perfectly neutral or natural. As both the lower-midrange and upper-bass occupy a neutral quantity, vocals are imbued with accurate body and are neutrally toned. However, as the centre midrange climbs progressively, approaching a prominent 3KHz hump, the presentation is skewed towards the brighter side with enhanced vocal forwardness. As such, this can be considered a vocal-forward earphone despite having some degree of sub-bass emphasis. Conversely, this does operate in accordance with the Harman Curve to compensate for the lack of pinna gain for the in-ear form factor.”

Does this match your experience as well? You indicated you have a sensitivity somewhere between 3KHz and 5KHz, so just curious if anything in that range bothered you on the M5-TWS?

May 18, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #33,351 of 62,453
Yes, it's very consistent, though it's possible the 3k hump he's hearing could be amplified by his ear shape; without talking to the reviewer, I'm not sure I'd know how to characterize that. THL is a fantastic blog, though, and I do tend to agree with Ryan and his ears. Only thing I can't tell from the review body is whether he reviewed the first or second generation of the M5. Also not 100% sure what changed from variant to variant, aside from stronger magnets in the case. I do see that his retail box is white while mine is black and states "M5-TWS (2ND GEN)" in the description up top.

All that's to say there are probably some minor variations in tuning, but I want to avoid any impression of "arguing" with Ryan's impressions. I will give the following caveats, though:
  • I detect zero noise floor with the M5. They're dead silent to my ears, even while playing quiet passages of music. I usually use the following track to test this:

• I haven't heard any complaints on the opposite end of the line for any of my phone calls. Usually my wife is shamelessly honest when that's the case; never once has she said she couldn't understand me
  • I totally agree with his assertion that they're more "balanced" than they are "neutral." Purists or treble-heads probably need to look elsewhere. The M5 (2nd Gen) has an unapologetically strong bass, but Ryan's dead on about his bass notes. It's honestly impressive how little bleed there is with this pair.
  • His midrange notes also closely echo mine, though I didn't write down anything as granular as which peaks my ears could detect; they're definitely tuned more towards impact, but never at the expense of some absolutely fantastic resolution
I mean, I could go on and on, but think he covered it well enough. Avoid the "V-shaped" stigma; that word kills just about as many good IEM's reputations as "Harmon-tuned" these days.

Bang on again, @ryanjsoo ! Love your work!

May 18, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #33,352 of 62,453

How’s the fit? Suitable for a bike ride?

May 18, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #33,354 of 62,453
How’s the fit? Suitable for a bike ride?
Basically locked-in once you figure out which tip works best for your ear, but I'll try to "simulate" a bike ride for your sake. To steal a trick from @Slater I'd suggest just swabbing your ears prior to the bike ride. Should help maintain grip really well, though I never felt like these were loose.

Oh and look what just showed up:
IMG_20210518_141701.jpg

Just as soon as I thought I was done for a bit...

May 18, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #33,355 of 62,453
Basically locked-in once you figure out which tip works best for your ear, but I'll try to "simulate" a bike ride for your sake. To steal a trick from @Slater I'd suggest just swabbing your ears prior to the bike ride. Should help maintain grip really well, though I never felt like these were loose.

Oh and look what just showed up:
IMG_20210518_141701.jpg
Just as soon as I thought I was done for a bit...
Thanks. Still looking for a no frills set without ANC to take out on the bike. But I didn’t see anything about waterproofing on advanced website.

May 18, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #33,356 of 62,453
Thanks. Still looking for a no frills set without ANC to take out on the bike. But I didn’t see anything about waterproofing on advanced website.
Couldn't find anything in the literature, either. Only visible point of entry I can see is via the microphone. Everything else is sealed up, so my guess is they just didn't want to go through the cost of getting IP certification.

Despite this looking somewhat funky, ohmalawd it's so comfortable.
IMG_20210518_142557.jpg
IMG_20210518_143224.jpg

B2 is a very happy camper at the moment. Has no issue rendering the low end on this track and seems to jive really well with the Auvio wide-bores currently installed:

I may never have to use that stubborn stock wire again. And, yes, the case does close with both sets of IEMs inside. Doesn't even take much effort.

May 18, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #33,357 of 62,453
MW07 Plus or Melomania Touch? More concerned by proper fitting and comfort in this case, though I understand that it a pretty personal thing. The prices are the same to me after the inclusion of the MW KD13 50% coupon. How does the SQ match up and were the connectivity issues with the MT's fixed?

May 18, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #33,358 of 62,453
MW07 Plus or Melomania Touch? More concerned by proper fitting and comfort in this case, though I understand that it a pretty personal thing. The prices are the same to me after the inclusion of the MW KD13 50% coupon. How does the SQ match up and were the connectivity issues with the MT's fixed?
Haven't tried the Plus, only the GO, and my experience with it was enough to tell me I'm not the target demo for the M&D sound. If it were my money, I'd go with the MT since it's a known quantity. My connectivity issues were fixed, but they still shut down after an hour of listening if I'm using UAPP/Neutron. It's not fair to fault the manufacturer for compatibility issues with third-party software, though, so I take those as isolated incidents.

May 18, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #33,359 of 62,453
Haven't tried the Plus, only the GO, and my experience with it was enough to tell me I'm not the target demo for the M&D sound. If it were my money, I'd go with the MT since it's a known quantity. My connectivity issues were fixed, but they still shut down after an hour of listening if I'm using UAPP/Neutron. It's not fair to fault the manufacturer for compatibility issues with third-party software, though, so I take those as isolated incidents.

Did yours shutdown before or after the latest firmware or both? Mine have been doing this lately or losing bt connection and re-establishing. This did not happen prior. Also, phone calls have weird pops now. The latter could be from my dropping them but not too sure.

May 18, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #33,360 of 62,453
Did yours shutdown before or after the latest firmware or both? Mine have been doing this lately or losing bt connection and re-establishing. This did not happen prior. Also, phone calls have weird pops now. The latter could be from my dropping them but not too sure.
No noise during calls, but I have been having that timeout issue that the most recent firmware update was supposed to fix. I don't get random dropouts, though. Can practically set my watch to it.

As usual, the Right ear is the culprit, even though both are allegedly running firmware version 1.4.2 (or whatever the most recent one is). Maybe it's time you and I do the ol' Razzle Dazzle Reset. I plan to finish this Tipper album, then finally pry the B2 out of my ears because they sound so flipping good running off the CF01. Not quite DK-3001 Pro clear, but very musical nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back