Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 18, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #33,363 of 62,453
I noticed how Hiby didn't mention anything about the battery life for their upcoming LDAC tws... 😂
Still blows my mind why they won't just work on development for the WH3. I'm genuinely concerned. that it seems like they're just going to abandon development, rope in a few new customers, and repeat the process.

It's stereotypical Chi-Fi.
Did yours shutdown before or after the latest firmware or both? Mine have been doing this lately or losing bt connection and re-establishing. This did not happen prior. Also, phone calls have weird pops now. The latter could be from my dropping them but not too sure.
New development...the issue will probably follow whatever bud you pair to your device first. Just did a master reset, then attempted to switch from High Performance to Low Power mode. Right bud works flawlessly now, but the left is causing me endless grief now.

Aka this is something that Cambridge's dev team needs to look into. Going to hard reset and attempt to set up via my backup phone (the Pixel 3a) to see if we have better luck.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #33,364 of 62,453
No noise during calls, but I have been having that timeout issue that the most recent firmware update was supposed to fix. I don't get random dropouts, though. Can practically set my watch to it.

As usual, the Right ear is the culprit, even though both are allegedly running firmware version 1.4.2 (or whatever the most recent one is). Maybe it's time you and I do the ol' Razzle Dazzle Reset. I plan to finish this Tipper album, then finally pry the B2 out of my ears because they sound so flipping good running off the CF01. Not quite DK-3001 Pro clear, but very musical nonetheless.

Just did it again. Fingers crossed. Looking around to see if possible to downgrade. Because im still on 1.4.2 after factory.

May 18, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #33,365 of 62,453
Just did it again. Fingers crossed. Looking around to see if possible to downgrade. Because im still on 1.4.2 after factory.
I don't think a factory reset wipes the firmware back to stock, which would be massively helpful. Just floats on whatever the current version is.

I did manage to properly swap between High-to-Low and then Low-to-High Performance modes via the Pixel 3a and didn't generate any errors. This dashes my hopes that Gabeldorsche would have fixed the issue, allowing me to finally retire the Pixel, but it's mildly reassuring to know that it seems to be a firmware issue. Still has the potential to be correctable. Still frustrated at OnePlus for not being able to figure this out.

I'll send an email out to Cambridge...

May 18, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #33,366 of 62,453
I then got the SoundPeats T2 ANC, again glitches in that they randomly decide to turn off etc and battery is nowhere near stated even at lower than 60% volume (again many have same issues).
Don't know if you mean the battery life of just the earbuds themselves or overall, but I've had issues with the earbuds staying on when I put them in the case. Usually causes an annoying whistling sound and sometimes I just have to take them out of the case and let them drain completely before putting them back into the case.

I do not think there is any ideal TWS out there at any price, I have had Sony/Bose/The high end Anker SoundCore models and OneMore models.
Same. I now have more TWS than I know what to do with and I just rotate depending on my mood. But they all have their own weird quirks that hold them back from being daily drivers.

May 18, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #33,367 of 62,453
Don't know if you mean the battery life of just the earbuds themselves or overall, but I've had issues with the earbuds staying on when I put them in the case. Usually causes an annoying whistling sound and sometimes I just have to take them out of the case and let them drain completely before putting them back into the case.

Same. I now have more TWS than I know what to do with and I just rotate depending on my mood. But they all have their own weird quirks that hold them back from being daily drivers.
I assume you closed the lid as they will stay connected if not and connect as soon as you open the lid again.

When they do not act up power on/off/pairing alerts in my ears randomly they run just about bang on 6 hours with ANC @ 13% Volume playing Brown Noise, they are supposed to get 7.5 hours with ANC @ 60% Volume and 10 hours without ANC @ 60% Volume.

I could not use these for music during the day out and about as they have no Previous Track touch only Next Track which is totally lame.

May 18, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #33,368 of 62,453
Quick update on the B&W PI5

Noticed that one of TK33's phones is the 8t. It happens to be my primary phone as well. Although I'm not sure it mean's much.

Anyway, I decided to do some testing with my older phone, the Galaxy S10e, and initially things were going fine. It connected just fine and the connection was stable, this was a few hours after I tried listening to them with my 8t right next to me and they could barely go more than 2-3 seconds with out the connection getting choppy. Still had the issue with playback getting choppy when trying to get the app to recognized them, but after the app recognized them it was fine.

Then I moved onto using my chromebook. It connected fine and for around 1.5-2 hours playback was fine. Tried doing a distance test and range was pretty disappointing. I left the chromebook in my room and walked to my kitchen before it completely disconnected. With almost all of my other TWS I'm able to walk beyond the kitchen and into the living room before the connection gets unreliable or completely disconnects.

After the listening session with my chromebook I decided try connecting back to the S10e. And it was a no go. The left side was the only one connecting. No matter what I did I couldn't get the right one to connect (unpaired from the settings on my phone, tried taking out the right earbud first, tried taking out the right earbud only). Didn't really care for doing another factory reset so I just gave up.

These past two days I went back to my 8t and so far performance has still been subpar, but more doable. Still get way more drops and choppiness than I do with my other TWS, but its at least been a bit less frequent. Just disappointed that I paid full price for these. Kind of shocking how bad the connectivity and app perform.

I assume you closed the lid as they will stay connected if not and connect as soon as you open the lid again.

When they do not act up power on/off/pairing alerts in my ears randomly they run just about bang on 6 hours with ANC @ 13% Volume playing Brown Noise, they are supposed to get 7.5 hours with ANC @ 60% Volume and 10 hours without ANC @ 60% Volume.

I could not use these for music during the day out and about as they have no Previous Track touch only Next Track which is totally lame.
Yeah, I did close the lid. They still stay on at times. I'll even check to make sure its closed and then see my music still playing and my bluetooth settings saying that its still connected.

May 18, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #33,369 of 62,453

Noticed that one of TK33's phones is the 8t. It happens to be my primary phone as well. Although I'm not sure it mean's much.

Anyway, I decided to do some testing with my older phone, the Galaxy S10e, and initially things were going fine. It connected just fine and the connection was stable, this was a few hours after I tried listening to them with my 8t right next to me and they could barely go more than 2-3 seconds with out the connection getting choppy. Still had the issue with playback getting choppy when trying to get the app to recognized them, but after the app recognized them it was fine.

Then I moved onto using my chromebook. It connected fine and for around 1.5-2 hours playback was fine. Tried doing a distance test and range was pretty disappointing. I left the chromebook in my room and walked to my kitchen before it completely disconnected. With almost all of my other TWS I'm able to walk beyond the kitchen and into the living room before the connection gets unreliable or completely disconnects.

After the listening session with my chromebook I decided try connecting back to the S10e. And it was a no go. The left side was the only one connecting. No matter what I did I couldn't get the right one to connect (unpaired from the settings on my phone, tried taking out the right earbud first, tried taking out the right earbud only). Didn't really care for doing another factory reset so I just gave up.

These past two days I went back to my 8t and so far performance has still been subpar, but more doable. Still get way more drops and choppiness than I do with my other TWS, but its at least been a bit less frequent. Just disappointed that I paid full price for these. Kind of shocking how bad the connectivity and app perform.
Didn't realize there were so many OnePlus users here. Glad to know I'm in company...

Is it possible that the cutouts you're experiencing are a codec issue? I was dealing with similar artifacting/cutouts with the Noble Falcon Pro and it took me going into the Developer Options to manually select aptX instead of Adaptive. Try swapping the codec to see if the issue persists. Could very well be that all of the B&Ws are just completely borked from the get-go, but this is at least something you can do that's easily reversible and shouldn't take much time at all.

Quick update on the MT front: I completely reset the MTs, did the whole Mode swap thing using the Pixel 3a, and then did a supplemental pairing with the 8T, starting with the Right bud. Running tracks in Neutron now to hopefully see if I can recreate this issue. I'll keep everybody posted.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #33,370 of 62,453
Didn't realize there were so many OnePlus users here. Glad to know I'm in company...

Is it possible that the cutouts you're experiencing are a codec issue? I was dealing with similar artifacting/cutouts with the Noble Falcon Pro and it took me going into the Developer Options to manually select aptX instead of Adaptive. Try swapping the codec to see if the issue persists. Could very well be that all of the B&Ws are just completely borked from the get-go, but this is at least something you can do that's easily reversible and shouldn't take much time at all.

Quick update on the MT front: I completely reset the MTs, did the whole Mode swap thing using the Pixel 3a, and then did a supplemental pairing with the 8T, starting with the Right bud. Running tracks in Neutron now to hopefully see if I can recreate this issue. I'll keep everybody posted.
I might just try it. I did switch to SBC at one point, but it didn't sound nearly as good as far as I can remember.

May 18, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #33,371 of 62,453
I might just try it. I did switch to SBC at one point, but it didn't sound nearly as good as far as I can remember.
At least for the NFP, the difference in quality between aptX and "Adaptive" was pretty minimal. Don't think you'll see the same degradation you did with SBC, but I can understand how frustrating it is not getting all of what you paid for.

OnePlus needs to hurry up and push an update to these dang phones. Been waiting since March. Reminds me why having the Pixel 3a as a daily was so nice; you get updates every 5th of the month without fail. If it weren't for the difference in storage space and screen, I'd probably be back on it.

May 18, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #33,372 of 62,453
TWS with LDAC... progress (at least for Android aficionados)...

https://store.hiby.com/pages/hiby-wh2
Maybe that's a sign Sony xm4 will have LDAC?? I don't see Sony giving right to another TWS company to use LDAC if Sony also won't be using LDAC themselves in their own new upcoming TWS. It would be a massive failure on Sony's end imo, and I can't see that happening.

Do all phones support LDAC or only Sony phones??

May 18, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #33,373 of 62,453

The app is terrible. Stutters whenever I try to connect and noticed I had to close all apps sometimes to get it to update (just gets stuck on the same battery level). Galaxy S10e is probably using aptX and your 8T would default to aptX adaptive I think so that may explain the performance difference.

I do have the 8T but my main phone for music is actually the V60. I mostly just use my 8T for calls (less memory, no microSD but has my main cell phone number on it b/c I wanted a smaller phone for calls). Dropouts were terrible on both and I had the same issue you described with the slave bud not reconnecting. I also tried the case (3.5mm from PC) and I could not get more than 3 feet away without cutouts, which were so bad that I basically had to use the subtitles and eventually gave up and switched to my Aeon 2 Noire.

I tried to do the next room thing but couldn't get out the door of the same room which I am hoping is because mine were defective. Just to make sure it wasn't my apartment, I took a walk around the block (no one was even around) and I ended up taking them out and putting them away before I was even home because I couldn't listen to a song without a skip. There have been reports of people not having these issues so hoping mine were just defective. If you are having similar issues, maybe try returning and buying a new one or reach out to B&W for a replacement (you will have to pay for shipping to them if you use the warranty).

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #33,374 of 62,453
Maybe that's a sign Sony xm4 will have LDAC?? I don't see Sony giving right to another TWS company to use LDAC if Sony also won't be using LDAC themselves in their own new upcoming TWS. It would be a massive failure on Sony's end imo, and I can't see that happening.

Do all phones support LDAC or only Sony phones??
I think all newer Android phones generally do. Works better on some vs. others. My old Samsung phones had it but didn't work as great as it does on my LG V60. Works fine on my OnePlus 8T too. You don't need a Sony phone to use LDAC

May 18, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #33,375 of 62,453
I think all newer Android phones generally do. Works better on some vs. others. My old Samsung phones had it but didn't work as great as it does on my LG V60. Works fine on my OnePlus 8T too. You don't need a Sony phone to use LDAC
Things get weird when you actually try to look into which bitrate you're effectively using. Some phones default to the 660 middle-ground setting. Some don't tell you at all. Some let you select 990, but there's no way of verifying that's the throughput you're getting.

Honestly, LDAC is a hot mess. I would not make it a differentiator if it were me buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back