Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 13, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #31,846 of 62,141
Gonna go off topic a bit but I think it’s relevant to how we review and assess tws in the grand scheme of this hobby. What full size cans do folks have for critical listening?

ill start: Aeon closed Drop X and LCD-2C for me. One open, one closed. Recently had Ananda, Ananda BT, deva and sundara as well. The aeon closed are stunning. The LCD-2C are bass cannons but I’m still trying to figure them out. They do not sound particularly open or spacious and I may prefer the Ananda tbh.

I only reach for my tws when I’m exercising or if I’m doing chores around the house where I need to move around although the Deva are pretty awesome for this purpose and make me wonder if I should get them again.

Apr 13, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #31,849 of 62,141
Gonna go off topic a bit but I think it’s relevant to how we review and assess tws in the grand scheme of this hobby. What full size cans do folks have for critical listening?

ill start: Aeon closed Drop X and LCD-2C for me. One open, one closed. Recently had Ananda, Ananda BT, deva and sundara as well. The aeon closed are stunning. The LCD-2C are bass cannons but I’m still trying to figure them out. They do not sound particularly open or spacious and I may prefer the Ananda tbh.

I only reach for my tws when I’m exercising or if I’m doing chores around the house where I need to move around although the Deva are pretty awesome for this purpose and make me wonder if I should get them again.

I'm not much of a headphone user, as i like to listen to music mostly while lying down/resting my head on the sofa.. more of an IEM/earbuds guy.
the only headphone i have and love the sound is the ATH R70X. i also have an old relic ATH M50 (only using it for tracking/recording), and XM3 (adequately sounding if EQd, nice feature as a whole package)

Apr 13, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #31,850 of 62,141
Apr 13, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #31,851 of 62,141
I'm not much of a headphone user, as i like to listen to music mostly while lying down/resting my head on the sofa.. more of an IEM/earbuds guy.
the only headphone i have and love the sound is the ATH R70X. i also have an old relic ATH M50 (only using it for tracking/recording), and XM3 (adequately sounding if EQd, nice feature as a whole package)
I’ve given up on traditional iems. I don’t like the feeling of a deep iem. Most tws are very shallow so they don’t bother me but for comfort full size cans are my favorite.

Apr 13, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #31,852 of 62,141
25 percent off sale and M&D. MW08 excluded. Which is a bummer and kinda annoying. Don’t advertise a friends and family sale and exclude your most exciting product. Rant over.
They did the same thing last time but eventually the MW07 Plus and MW07 Go became eligible for promotional discounts. I ended up rebuying the MW07 Go at full price in 2019 because I wanted something with good IPX right away (first one had an issue with battery). I am not in a hurry this time around so may bite if it does become eligible for promotional. I recall they had some pretty good discounts last year. Hoping my MW07 Go lasts a few more months. Left earbud hasn't been connecting automatically recently and requires a few button presses to wake up, which is annoying.

Apr 13, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #31,854 of 62,141
They did the same thing last time but eventually the MW07 Plus and MW07 Go became eligible for promotional discounts. I ended up rebuying the MW07 Go at full price in 2019 because I wanted something with good IPX right away (first one had an issue with battery). I am not in a hurry this time around so may bite if it does become eligible for promotional. I recall they had some pretty good discounts last year. Hoping my MW07 Go lasts a few more months. Left earbud hasn't been connecting automatically recently and requires a few button presses to wake up, which is annoying.
Agree. I’m not seeing any reason to spend 300 on the mw08. I have mw07 go coming for 100. Had they put the mw08 in sale I would have jumped. I think it was shortsighted of them to exclude them. Sacrifice a little margin for increased sales and buzz and we all know they cost about 2 dollars more to make than the other variants.

Apr 13, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #31,855 of 62,141
So I came to the conclusion today that the KEF mu3 sounds much, much better than my Bose NC buds, which I just found under my couch after having lost them a few months ago.

I was listening to "No You Girls" by Franz Ferdinand on the Bose and decided to switch to the KEFs so I could charge up the Bose for the gym.

Man... The sound was so much more open and clear on the KEFs (included tips) and a much bigger soundstage. The impressive thing about this statement is that IMHO, the Bose blow away my Jabra Elite Active 65, Technics AZ70W and Sony XM3.

The Bose and KEFs also sound signficantly better than my NUARL N6Ps but I wouldn't go so far as to say they "blow them away", just because I do love the NUARLs

Apr 13, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #31,856 of 62,141

I have quite a few, including the LCD-2C, original Aeon Closed, HD6XX, HE-400i, and a Denon AH-D5000. I also have children and almost no ability to sit down and listen to music with both ears covered. Really wish I could enjoy them more.

The Audeze need current and lots of it, but the way they tuned their low end creates a really weird, bulbous stage where things aren't easily locateable outside of, say, the left bubble or right bubble. Eventually, I'll get my hands on a LCD-X to see if it makes up for what I'm missing. The bass texturing is fun, but I find my HE-400i to sound much more spacious. They don't image as well as the Aeon, but they're definitely more open. The Denon are just a giant leather recliner of a headphone and have a sound signature that is uncompromisingly fat.

Honestly, I reach for my 6XX more often than not. Have a 2.5mm balanced cable and a couple DAPs that'll give it enough juice to not sound so thin, so I still get to enjoy headphones, but I'm not tied to a chair. Despite the hype, it's still a HD650 and I think that deserves a place in every collection, if only to be used as a reference point. They're tuned really well.

Conversely, I'm not a huge fan of the Meze 99 Classics. Too much of a good thing (warmth), too little detail for my tastes. Super comfy, though.
https://mm.jbl.com/true-wireless/LIVE-PRO-PLUS-TWS-.html

11mm drivers vs 6.8 in the Club Pro+ but $20 cheaper and worse specs10-20 on the range vs. 20-20 for the Live.
Saw a really good writeup from Dunu in the DK-3001 thread about driver size correlating to bass quality more than quantity. Since the DD is basically coupled to your ear, the whole "no replacement for displacement" thing kinda goes out the window. The 6.8mm in the Club Pro+ is a really capable middle.
I’ve given up on traditional iems. I don’t like the feeling of a deep iem. Most tws are very shallow so they don’t bother me but for comfort full size cans are my favorite.
Seems like the IEM camp is getting equally polarizing. Dunu fit really shallow in my ears and the shells are so tiny that they don't hurt. At all. Might be worth looking into. 2001 for fun, 3001 Pro for critical listening.

As for TWS, that shallow fit is exactly what I like about the HiBy, Noble, UE, and MT. I can wear them all without fatigue and only the Noble is really an outlier in insertion depth. Really, only the Technics, Sennheiser, and Earfun tend to irritate my ears over time. While I can handle Ety deep, I don't always want to.

Apr 13, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #31,859 of 62,141
have you heard something what is "better" in sound , as the 1&2 ?
Glad I'm not the only one. Can we please use better descriptors than "better" to describe what we prefer? Use cases and preferences vary so wildly.

We need some qualifiers.

I don't normally give Drop any mentions, but someone's going to find the deal in this:

https://drop.com/buy/final-audio-eva-2020-tws-iem

$235 ain't too bad.

If you don't want to wait, there's a decent deal on an Open Box here:

https://audio46.com/products/final-audio-eva-2020-true-wireless-open-box

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #31,860 of 62,141
Saw a really good writeup from Dunu in the DK-3001 thread about driver size correlating to bass quality more than quantity. Since the DD is basically coupled to your ear, the whole "no replacement for displacement" thing kinda goes out the window. The 6.8mm in the Club Pro+ is a really capable middle.

Though across a brand esp. driver size should correlate with larger and more surface area having the extension ability. When they measure the Club to 10 and the Live to 20 is not a good sign. Couple with lower price and you start to worry about the quality. Of course the Tour Pro+ is the one we expect to have the best SQ out of the newest models anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back