Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 15, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #2,956 of 62,790
I ran the Audacity clipping analyzer on this test track, there's no clipping in the audio stream. Which means the test track itself is clean.

Then I listened to it at high volume on my TRN BT20 + JVC IEMs, both via SBC and AAC. My JVCs didn't distort, but SBC sounded noticeably edgier in treble.

I don't own the MTW, but imo it's possible that the treble artifacts of SBC encoding with this track cause distortion in the MTWs.
Didn't you hear the very noticable difference with the "rolling bass" (like a high pitch metallic revereberation) from 08:00 to 08:30? It's so difficult to explain the difference, but it's like a "prrrr" with a kind of metallic cling/ring. It's completely gone with AAC, and on every headsets with SBC.
And if you're right regarding SBC with NFMI, then that's why the left is distorted regardless of the AAC/AptX connection to the source?

Dec 15, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #2,957 of 62,790
Then I listened to it at high volume on my TRN BT20 + JVC IEMs, both via SBC and AAC. My JVCs didn't distort, but SBC sounded noticeably edgier in treble.

yes, i also find treble on SBC "raspier" sounding, while AAC sounded smoothly compressed, and APTX and LDAC treble is more like SBC but more controlled (the SBC is more raw sounding). all tested on the ES100 because it has all that codec.

interestingly, listening to indie rock, i prefer the SBC than the AAC. nowadays i just think of them as cable change. each has their own characteristics. but given the option i would go with LDAC or APTX if available , just on the safe side. but really even SBC and AAC are quite good enough

Dec 15, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #2,958 of 62,790
I can’t believe Sennheiser would make a product that has aac aptx on one ear pierce and sbc in the other. That would be a major fail and seems highly unlikely. They would get clobbered here.

Dec 15, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #2,959 of 62,790
Didn't you hear the very noticable difference with the "rolling bass" (like a high pitch metallic revereberation) from 08:00 to 08:30? It's so difficult to explain the difference, but it's like a "prrrr" with a kind of metallic cling/ring. It's completely gone with AAC, and on every headsets with SBC.
And if you're right regarding SBC with NFMI, then that's why the left is distorted regardless of the AAC/AptX connection to the source?

No, I don't hear any metallic sound with the "rolling bass", just a little bit more edge in treble with SBC. But it's possible that my BT transmission uses higher bitrate SBC than yours, which would explane the difference in SQ.

Dec 15, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #2,962 of 62,790
No, I don't hear any metallic sound with the "rolling bass", just a little bit more edge in treble with SBC. But it's possible that my BT transmission uses higher bitrate SBC than yours, which would explane the difference in SQ.
Hmm. I have tested SBC with Apple TV 4, Macbook Pro, and SBC/AAC headsets with Avantree Leaf, CSR4.0 USB dongle.
Exactly the same sound with every source and headsets (Sony WH-1000MX3, Jaybird X3, Clipper Pro with Soundmagic E11C and RBH Prostereo H2)

Dec 15, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #2,966 of 62,790
Dec 15, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #2,969 of 62,790

Users who are viewing this thread

Back