Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 16, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #22,668 of 62,469
Anyone able to get the Mpow x3? They were available for about a day on Amazon.
Have you considered the Boltune ANC? Is there a head to head comparison out there somewhere? I think one of the reviews on Amazon said the Boltune was a lot better, but that's just one anonymous guy on Amazon.

Jun 16, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #22,669 of 62,469
Jun 16, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #22,670 of 62,469
I'm eyeing on the Tronsmart Onyx Free, it's less battery life per-single charge than the Ugreen, but has physical buttons, ipx7, and those (might be gimmicky) UV lights

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #22,671 of 62,469
Hi all,

Haven't posted much as I've been pretty happy with the Senn IE80s over the last couple of years. But I'm getting a bit fed up with having to replace the cable every 8-12 months. The IE80s are fantastic sound-wise, and I have custom-moulded sleeves which give a wonderful fit and great sound isolation. I was originally looking for a wireless lanyard like the Westone BT cable 78548, but unfortunately the IE80s use a custom connector, and I can't find an equivalent wireless converter that'll fit the Senns (there's some $5 ones on Alibaba, but I've no confidence that they'll have decent SQ, battery life or reliability).

I use the IEMs primarily for music/movies during my commute; it's walking and sitting, so they don't have to be exercise-proof or waterproof - although that would be good for listening sessions while I work in the garden. Battery life is reasonably important; I don't want to have to charge them every day, and if I forget to charge them once they need to last for a second commute (so at least 3hrs+ in total).

So the question is, are we at the point yet where it's feasible to go for fully-wireless IEM buds. There seem to be a lot of devices out there which very nearly cut the mustard, but all so far seem to have caveats. But there's also some interesting kit being released in the next few weeks, and I'm wondering whether anyone has experienced them and can help encourage me to take the plunge. :wink:

Current possibilities/shortlist seems to be:
  • Sony WF-1000X - has a few great (p)reviews, and the noice cancellation appears to be a great extra feature. Haven't seen any reports on battery life, but stated claims of 3hrs + 9 extra from the case seem 'okay'.
  • Bragi The Headphone - seem to be generally well-liked and a good feature-set. No charging case seems problematic though.
  • Bragi Dash Pro - super cool, but super-expensive (and reviews on head-fi indicate that the SQ is not good).
  • Zolo Liberty Plus - very promising, I'm looking forward to hearing what these sound like. I nearly pulled the trigger on a speculative punt via the Kickstarter, but missed the deadline.
  • Bose SoundSport Free - again, seem like they might be good, waiting to see reviews. No UK release date as yet.
  • B&O Beoplay E8 - look like they'll be good, but expensive too.

Anything else I should add to the list and consider? Are there any fully wireless IEMs with custom sleeves yet for a perfect fit?
Definitely ready to go full wireless

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #22,673 of 62,469
Jabra 75t manufacturer refurbished directly from Jabra, at Target for $99. Tempting...
https://www.target.com/p/jabra-elit...earbuds-manufacturer-refurbished/-/A-79690954
That's what I paid for my refurbished 75t at Newegg.com - it came in a plastic bag with no box, directly from Jabra, but works fine.
IMG_3561.jpeg

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #22,674 of 62,469
I'm eyeing on the Tronsmart Onyx Free, it's less battery life per-single charge than the Ugreen, but has physical buttons, ipx7, and those (might be gimmicky) UV lights
Probably irrelevant, but I've decided to never go back to physical buttons. I discovered last weekend entirely by accident that I can play/pause/answer calls on my ADV Model X+ just by putting my ear to my shoulder. Absolute frickin lifesaver (okay, maybe an exaggeration) when my hands are occupied and/or dirty (like when grilling yesterday and I had a kid screaming at me and I needed to pause the music).

Now I'm curious if I could do the same and activate pass-through on the GBuds+ the same way. That would be the holy grail of never-having-to-take-my-earbuds-out.

Jun 17, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #22,675 of 62,469
Anyone able to get the Mpow x3? They were available for about a day on Amazon.
I guess there's a production problem with these. I've ordered mine a month ago, and it was only sent out this weekend. Having some doubt whether it will be better than the Boltune BH023 though.

Also: time to update my signature. Been a while since I logged in here. :p

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #22,676 of 62,469
Probably irrelevant, but I've decided to never go back to physical buttons. I discovered last weekend entirely by accident that I can play/pause/answer calls on my ADV Model X+ just by putting my ear to my shoulder. Absolute frickin lifesaver (okay, maybe an exaggeration) when my hands are occupied and/or dirty (like when grilling yesterday and I had a kid screaming at me and I needed to pause the music).

Now I'm curious if I could do the same and activate pass-through on the GBuds+ the same way. That would be the holy grail of never-having-to-take-my-earbuds-out.

As long as you're using your skin, or most shirt-thickness cloth, you can definitely use touch controls. I also use it like this often. As convenient as that goes, i more often press the touch sensor accidentally, especially if i use it while sleeping and resting my head on my arm, or even if my earlobe folds itself on top of the sensors.Tactile buttons are better for my personal scenarios. I can still use my shoulders to press physical buttons, just require a bit more practice

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #22,678 of 62,469
As long as you're using your skin, or most shirt-thickness cloth, you can definitely use touch controls. I also use it like this often. As convenient as that goes, i more often press the touch sensor accidentally, especially if i use it while sleeping and resting my head on my arm, or even if my earlobe folds itself on top of the sensors.Tactile buttons are better for my personal scenarios. I can still use my shoulders to press physical buttons, just require a bit more practice
Thanks -- are you specifically referring to the Buds+ here?

The physical buttons available to me would definitely fail this test, lol. Nuarl N6 - little buttons on the top edge. Phaiser Fusion One: would cram it into my ear canal. Soundcore Life P2: would knock it out of my ear.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #22,679 of 62,469

The physical buttons available to me would definitely fail this test, lol. Nuarl N6 - little buttons on the top edge. Phaiser Fusion One: would cram it into my ear canal. Soundcore Life P2: would knock it out of my ear.

Just tried my Buds+, the touch sensors worked with my t-shirt.

Also slightly tweaked my EQ after the updates 2x ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200617-073930.png
    Screenshot_20200617-073930.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #22,680 of 62,469

I don't have the Buds+ , but i have the previous version Buds, and it can work too. Some tws are more sensitive . For instance my QCY T5 can register touch through clothes better, while the Buds is a bit less sensitive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back