Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 14, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #22,636 of 62,460
"Car Test" in quotes means, "I accidentally drove over one of the ear buds".

PS: How does auto corrupt change Drove to Drive on a Macbook? I understand on a tiny iPhone keyboard but if AI is using context to drive corrections, WHY would it create a sentence that makes no sense?

EDIT - it did it again, and it changed "why" to "while" when 95% of the time I need autocorrect, but 100% of the time we don't need auto corrupt.

Would have been funnier if autocorrect had changed "if AI is using context to drive corrections..." to "if AI is using context to drove corrections..."

Jun 14, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #22,637 of 62,460
In case you were wondering about the durability of some of these IEMs: I recently performed the "car test" on my Bomaker SiFi 1 using a 2012 Honda Civic on a concrete driveway. I'm happy to report that my SiFi suffered only minor scratches and a slightly cracked shell. It still works and sounds fine, although unfortunately, is no longer IPX7 waterproof.

IMG_20200614_164102.jpg IMG_20200614_164142.jpg
In Chinese, we would say, AY-YAH!

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #22,638 of 62,460
So, got the XM3 ... and I am still pretty much on the fence about them ... (damn you, chance of 'I can send back') ... they sound really nice, somehow I am not really aware of the ANC ... I did not have any 'wow' effect, like I had on the APP (but those I tried in a noisy Apple store, and here my surroundings are pretty quiet to begin with) ... I need to do some more testing on that.
Not a big fan of the fit ... I get a seal, but they feel lie they would wiggle out any moment, need to try on a walk ...
And just now while I am typing this, just to spite me, the right bud stopped playing music .. had to put back in that HUUUGE case and then music was back ...

hmm .. already wondering what I could do with those freed 140€ if / when I send those back ... but there is still some inner voice telling me I would love them once I try on plane ...

Any thoughts?

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #22,640 of 62,460
So, got the XM3 ... and I am still pretty much on the fence about them ... (damn you, chance of 'I can send back') ... they sound really nice, somehow I am not really aware of the ANC ... I did not have any 'wow' effect, like I had on the APP (but those I tried in a noisy Apple store, and here my surroundings are pretty quiet to begin with) ... I need to do some more testing on that.
Not a big fan of the fit ... I get a seal, but they feel lie they would wiggle out any moment, need to try on a walk ...
And just now while I am typing this, just to spite me, the right bud stopped playing music .. had to put back in that HUUUGE case and then music was back ...

hmm .. already wondering what I could do with those freed 140€ if / when I send those back ... but there is still some inner voice telling me I would love them once I try on plane ...

Any thoughts?

The XM3 pretty much demands that you tip roll.
I've spent quite a bit on tips recently, using my older spinfit 350s (good but finicky), spinfits 360 (good and super comfortable and easy to set in, but less stable), the AE07 (not for me, like a less comfortable 360), AE08 (The most stable earbuds bar none, but I wish I had got them in L instead of M, as they do let in some ambient noise), and I just got the Radius Deep mounts, which I will try this week (so far they fit really well, like the 360s, but I still am not sure about the fit while walking. They don't have a pointy head like other tips, so the feel is super unique. Like having an earbud jammed deep in your ear. It seems to really open up soundstage...). I still want to try comply tips, mandarin tips and a large version of the AE08s, they really stick them in like glue.

I'm starting to spend more on tips than I used to spend on earphones :S
It's somehow really addictive.
When you get a good fit on the XM3, the ANC goes from unimpressive to insane silence.

Jun 15, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #22,641 of 62,460
The XM3 pretty much demands that you tip roll.
I've spent quite a bit on tips recently, using my older spinfit 350s (good but finicky), spinfits 360 (good and super comfortable and easy to set in, but less stable), the AE07 (not for me, like a less comfortable 360), AE08 (The most stable earbuds bar none, but I wish I had got them in L instead of M, as they do let in some ambient noise), and I just got the Radius Deep mounts, which I will try this week (so far they fit really well, like the 360s, but I still am not sure about the fit while walking. They don't have a pointy head like other tips, so the feel is super unique. Like having an earbud jammed deep in your ear. It seems to really open up soundstage...). I still want to try comply tips, mandarin tips and a large version of the AE08s, they really stick them in like glue.

I'm starting to spend more on tips than I used to spend on earphones :S
It's somehow really addictive.
When you get a good fit on the XM3, the ANC goes from unimpressive to insane silence.
Good then that even while traveling I brought my good ole bag of tips :wink:
0DB8E92F-85B5-40EC-9DF7-72E1B0FE954E.jpeg
will try some more now, also have some SpinFits on a few KZ IEMs I brought along ...

hmmm. Not those :wink:
84999EB2-BA37-458F-9BDB-5C556059C8F9.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #22,642 of 62,460
Got the Buds+ yesterday and have been using them extensively for the last 24hrs; thanks to @jkjk123 for selling me his new pair! Very lengthy writeup below!

Sound preferences are highly opinionated, so here's some context:
I love and prefer neutral sound, probably on the brighter side. (mostly listen to everything on my JBL LSR305 reference monitors, and the FLC 8S which...I lost in March on a flight. Loved/used them for some years *cries*. Initially used gold/red? filters for that oomph, but later switched it up to gray/gray? for neutrality iirc. I also owned/went through the GR06/GR07/GR07BE, which is a sound signature I adore (as most do).

I value separation, detail, and clarity above all, and I prefer something that will do everything equally well over something singular like heavy-hitting/clean bass. I listen to all genres, but mostly a lot of electronic music which have all types of instruments/vocals and covers the full frequency spectrum in a single track/mix/set, which should explain my preferences.

I've had a cheap BT Aukey and Anker beater $25 pairs for the gym -- surprisingly the Anker Soundbuds Slim+ have been the most comfortable set I've ever worn (strangely that's now one of my benchmarks for comfort) Fidue A83, probably worst.

First TWE I've owned, picked after extensive research. Haven't had the chance to really listen to other TWEs yet, unfortunately (maybe fortunately).

Here's my first 24 hour Buds+ journey:
Initial impressions:
light in ear, great battery life to mitigate dead-earphone-anxiety, compact. Magnets are weak, if you drop it on anything solid a few feet in the air, the case can open then close in an instant while buds fly out. I read someone lost them first day because without noticing, so be aware! Ambient mode I can see being very useful, but is treble heavy/unnatural/robotic sounding. The 4 levels of ambient volume levels is super nice (with the extra loud option in the labs. It's neat, but maybe gimmicky. Like superhuman levels of hearing lol).

Audio BT/lag issues:
Also, I had audio lag issues while watching Youtube/videos on Windows 10 (out of sync voice/lip). Thought these were unusable at first. Was already on the latest firmware update. Not sure if it just fixed itself later via proper codec negotiation, or if I got used to it, or cause I did this possible fix, or all of the above but they seem ok now:
https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxybuds/comments/b4vx3c/audio_delay_with_windows_10_laptop/ermyv0y/
If someone wants me to test them with games like FPS, holler at me - too lazy lol.
(I had some very slight/short BT audio dropouts with my laptop (Matebook X Pro 2018, Win10) from a distance (5-10 feet away). I think it may be the laptop, as my Pixel 1 (yes 1) is completely fine.

First listen, sound quality, did not like at all:
Initially, I was very disappointed with the sound quality. Thought maybe all the online reviewers didn't know what they were talking about. Maybe they aren't audiophile material, consumer oriented, etc. etc. Ugh!

1. Tried the medium tips. Wasn't getting a good seal, immediately switched to large tips. (I normally wear medium, and switched back to medium -- more on this below).
2. Normal EQ sounded flat, everything sort of muddled together. Very bleh, thought they were horrible.
3. Turned on Dynamic EQ like many suggest and prefer

Crinacle says the Buds+ sound like "bitcrush" and that's probably a good description, but he didn't say what EQ he was using. I thought it was maybe just bluetooth compression, but prob nah.

So on Dynamic EQ: Voice by itself in e.g. Youtube was clean. But with music, a different story. Lows by itself was heavy-hitting, satisfying, and clean (imo the Buds+ does this *extremely well*, among the best I've heard). But I felt that it lifts/pronounces the low and high ends _too much_ to the detriment of the mids. Probably enjoyable for the average consumers.

I don't think soundstage is a strength on these. Made worse with the (great) bass/sub-bass creeping into the mids. I think that might be why it sounded compressed and unpleasant to me -- I wasn't satisfied at all. Also I can definitely see how they can be fatiguing on dynamic mode, though I didn't find it too much of a deal (I do prefer brightness). So I switched back to Normal EQ for a bit, which probably after my ears adjusted, wasn't as bad as my initial impression, but still bad. Went back to Dynamic, tried out Clear EQ very briefly was alright, didn't think much of it (more on this below!) Fell asleep with them in my ears.

Next day I tried them out, my opinions didn't change. So I tip rolled -- went through a bunch of old silicone tips I have from who knows where. My opinion is that double-flange and foam tips are best because they have the highest chance for a good seal, but unfortunately they don't allow the Buds+ to fit in the charging case or work well with the wingtips. Could try cutting or getting shallow fit foam tips, but it's easy to get a good seal with silicone tips on the Buds+:

Tip rolling and mastering fit:
Initially the fit hurt with the large Samsung tips, and I was having a bit of discomfort. I learned how to properly fit these to my ears: the large size tips were providing a good seal, but didn't allow the Buds+ to go deeper into my canal. So I switched back to medium sized tips, which allowed me to really push them further into my canals and lock the wing-tip below that thing-that-sticks-out-of-your ear (I will call it "ear-thing").

I also read somewhere on Reddit of discomfort and that it helps to instead of sticking them in with the wingtips above your "ear thing", then rotating them to your rear to lock them in, try to start with the wingtips below the "ear thing", insert into ear, then rotate them towards my front until they lock into ear. They're very secure, none of that iem slowly creeping out of your ear when you chew/move etc. Take off shirt, no big deal, flick them with a finger, no big deal. Probably will get used to it in a couple days like I've read (when it gets softer, or my ears callus? :/) I also tried softening the wingtips with my fingers.

Tip on experimental/lab side tap volume adjustment
I couldn't figure out the experimental/lab feature to tap the side to adjust volume up/down. Until I had the proper wing-tip locked into ear position -- now I find works very well (works on both phone and Win10!). The trick is to give a semi-forceful, downwards tap (twice) at the top edge of the buds. Like if the buds were a joystick sticking out of your ear.

Eventually settled on these tips (no idea where they're from). Compared to the stock Samsung tips, you can see that the nozzle is a lot bigger -- seems to help open the sound, slight improvement. I prefer them. Not sure why the Samsung tips have such a small hole, that doesn't match the size of the Buds nozzle? Maybe to keep earwax out? (Left is stock Samsung, right is I have no idea where from):

1592089662527.png

Spent today listening to music, then started listening to a dnb (drum and bass) mix with vocals (which I think is a good overall litmus test for my preferences. Tests bass, many different types of sounds, fast-paced, plus male and female vocals. Again, on Dynamic EQ, lows were amazing, highs were good, but overall it just sounded off -- the mids. Really imo ruins the whole package, and wasn't giving me that "I want to keep listening to this music" feeling. Semi-fatiguing.

The major saving grace to Buds+ sound quality, imo:
Buuuuuut I had read a single comment on all of the internet about Dynamic EQ great for original Buds but too much for Buds+, and someone using the Clear EQ for Buds+. And this EQ is my saving grace for the Buds+, rounding out the entire journey. I find it strikes a nice balance between normal and dynamic. Extra clarity (obviously) brings out that needed sparkle that Normal EQ lacks. Bass isn't as satisfying, but still very good, allowing the mids to breathe. Bass boost, Treble boost, and Soft EQs imo don't even bother, they don't fix the problems, just exaggerate.

I wish Samsung provided a fully customizable EQ in the Wear app. Thankfully the EQ presets stick to the Buds+ across devices. I was semi-interested in Jabra 75T for this, also for multipoint (which I've read mixed reviews on), but I've gotten the impression that Jabra's durability/QC isn't great. (read the online reviews regarding hardware/software issues on both the 65T and 75T audio-hiss, etc.).

Also, (really trying to make myself not try the 75T haha) the battery of the Buds+ seems like it can be replaced fairly easily:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+Buds++Teardown/132702

Whereas the 75T (seems like you have to physically cut the housing) and maybe others won't be so easy. Definitely a concern for me with the longevity of TWEs.
65T: https://electronics360.globalspec.com/article/13996/teardown-jabra-elite-65t
75T: https://fccid.io/BCE-OTE120/Internal-Photos/Internal-photographs-1-of-2-4477902

TL;DR: Was disappointed, almost threw in the towel with the Buds+. Thankfully a mixture of tip rolling, proper fit semi-unique to the Buds/+, probably ears adjusting, and most of all Clear EQ saved it. Really give it a chance!
I take it you don't use a Samsung phone?
Doing so had 2 audio benefits.

1. Scalable Codec which sounds much better than AAC at least on Android.

2. Dolby Atmos. When set to music it makes the music filter and the mids definitely come out more.

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #22,644 of 62,460

Any thoughts?

The "wow" effect of the APP might be deceiving. If you are use the stem to turn ANC off and on you are switching between pass through and ANC, which is very dramatic. It almost seems like a trick to impress buyers when they try them on for a second. When I compared the ANC between the Sony and APP using the phone apps they seemed pretty close. The APPs cancelled a little more high frequency to my ear.

Full disclosure, I'm 52 and have hearing loss.

Jun 15, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #22,645 of 62,460
Jun 15, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #22,646 of 62,460
Thoughts on ANC TWS? My wife is working from home now due to the Covid and I can't concentrate on my work because she has to have the radio on in the background playing 80's music. I was considering getting the Boltune ANC TWS or the Dyplay ANC. I know Edifier (and highly rated by Scarbir) are out there also, but much more costly. Can anyone comment on if they think any of the TWS with ANC will help block out the 80's music I'm being tortured with each day? Thank you.
Note: I have the Fill T1x and they help isolate, but will any of the ANC TWS do better?

Jun 15, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #22,647 of 62,460

Any thoughts?

Same here, sometimes it's one XM3 bud that stops and other times it's both. Often after I pause music or a YouTube video for too long and my iPhone or MacBook Pro falls asleep. Then later when I come back, wake it up, and hit play I get no sound until I put the XM3 in the case and then back in my ears. This is why I am afraid to trust them to be there for me and stay connected when I need them, and I had this same issue with the WF-SP800N that I returned to get the XM3.

Also, if I'm already playing sound on my MacBook Pro speakers and then I pop the XM3 into my ears, they will connect but I often only get sound in the left. I have to pause the audio playing, before I put them into my ears and connect to BT. If this happens, I remove them from my ears, pause, and either put them back in my ears to connect to my MacBook Pro or I put them in the case and then try them again.

They are actually connected but wont pass sound until they are disconnected or go back in the case, if removing them or disconnecting doesn't work. Occasionally I can wake the sound by moving the volume down and back up.

But I spend a lot of that time with them in my ears and wandering around the house, thinking that if a phone call comes in that I could answer the call on my MacBook or iPhone with the XM3 if I'm in BT range - but I worry "what if it rings and I press the ear piece and I can't answer the call?" I'd have to run back into the room to pick up my iPhone from the wireless charger or wake up the MacBook to answer.

Fit was another issue, but the XM3 fit me better than the WF-SP800N (with or without the 800N wings). I started using the largest silicone tips with XM3 to get them to stay in my ears better than WF-SP800N, but sometimes the seal wasn't the best because the large tips didn't let them go in deep enough. The largest included Sony foam tips were better if I mashed them in deeply, with a better seal and less itchy canals.

But I found the same "olive" shaped tips that I bought for the FIIL T1X work better with the XM3. Silicone Replacement Ear Tips Earbuds Eargels for Mpow,Senso,Zeus,Otium,Hussar,Letscom Bluetooth Earphones, 6 Paris (Blue and Gray) by luakesa
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P5FZW7J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for noise cancelling, when I have a good seal (90% of the time now with new tips) the Transparency mode is more hissy than Apple AirPods Pro and works not quite but almost as good for talking to people while wearing them, while Passive noise blocking and ANC are as good or better. I'm not sure yet whether the music sound is better than AirPods Pro, I need to spend more time with them, but I lean towards the XM3 (clear bass between +3 to +5, no other EQ).

Jun 15, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #22,648 of 62,460
Thoughts on ANC TWS? My wife is working from home now due to the Covid and I can't concentrate on my work because she has to have the radio on in the background playing 80's music. I was considering getting the Boltune ANC TWS or the Dyplay ANC. I know Edifier (and highly rated by Scarbir) are out there also, but much more costly. Can anyone comment on if they think any of the TWS with ANC will help block out the 80's music I'm being tortured with each day? Thank you.
Note: I have the Fill T1x and they help isolate, but will any of the ANC TWS do better?

It would help yes, however for marathon listening sessions and/or pure isolation on my laptop I prefer to wear my Bose QC25, they're just more comfortable than isolating IEMs + ANC like the Amazon Echobuds or even the MTW2 that are a little more comfortable. The APP are the most comfortable ANC TWS out there but they don't have much passive isolation (unlike the Echobuds) so will not work for general isolation, only for recurring sounds, like the hum of an engine.

Jun 15, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #22,649 of 62,460

The technology is improving but not quite there yet. Will be interesting to see the evolution of this.

Jun 15, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #22,650 of 62,460

The XM3 ANC helps a little bit with music and voices, but you really to start out with IEM that have good passive isolation on top of that first. With the ear gel tips mentioned in my last post above, my XM3 isolate a lot and the ANC makes hearing people talk even more difficult than passive only.

I just tried watching a YouTube video on the MacBook thru the speakers, but using the XM3 to block the speaker sound passively and with ANC - with ambient sound mode turned on I could hear the video like normal, and with ambient sound off it was noticeably more difficult, but the ANC on it got even harder to hear what was being said. I thought that ANC should only help with constant frequency or droning sounds (engines, fans, power tools, running water, etc) but it did make a difference here.

HOWEVER, with my Westone ES5 Custom IEM I keep them in my shooting bag and use them for protection at the shooting range, with noticeably more isolation - I would not feel comfortable wearing any universal fit IEM to go shooting. So, you might have to consider a custom molded IEM, and use a CEntrance BlueDAC or Fiio BTR-5 to go partially wireless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back