Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 19, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #20,731 of 62,162
Well, I ended up returning the wf-1000xm3. I really enjoyed them but got two different issues with two buds, and had some frustrations with customer service.

Anyways, in back with the Nuarls and really missed that amazing imaging.

What I am looking for probably doesn't exist, but it's there any bud with ambient mode, good passive isolation, with a small case, that you can sleep on the side with? The new Galaxy buds+ or echo buds check so many boxes but I think the lack of APTx is bothersome given how solid the APTx connection is on my phone.
My mifo 05 are tiny and can be worn while sleeping. They also have an ambient mode although, the manual doesn't mention it. Mine appear to be SBC or apt X only however. Not sure if they are still available for sale, although there appears to be various rebadged ones such as trn. The case is a medium size, but has a huge battery. The battery life of the buds is about 7 hours.

Sound is quite polite in the treble area, slight bass boost but, not much. Almost a neutral signature for a chi fi headphone.

Mar 19, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #20,732 of 62,162
My mifo 05 are tiny and can be worn while sleeping. They also have an ambient mode although, the manual doesn't mention it. Mine appear to be SBC or apt X only however. Not sure if they are still available for sale, although there appears to be various rebadged ones such as trn. The case is a medium size, but has a huge battery. The battery life of the buds is about 7 hours.

Sound is quite polite in the treble area, slight bass boost but, not much. Almost a neutral signature for a chi fi headphone.

How do you enable the undocumented ambient mode? Wondering if the Mifo o7 might have that secret feature...!!!????

Mar 19, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #20,733 of 62,162
How do you enable the undocumented ambient mode? Wondering if the Mifo o7 might have that secret feature...!!!????
Hold down the front right button for 3 seconds or the rear left, if that makes sense? Incidentally mine only have 1 green led in the case. It never changes colour. Took an awful long time to run the case battery down to check.

Mar 19, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #20,734 of 62,162
The soundcore app just got a bunch of new custom EQs from the guys who helped tune the lp2 ..

digging the one from Darrel Thorp & Mollino!

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #20,735 of 62,162
Got a pair of LP2 (rev3) to try out thanks to @d3myz. Been playing around with the HearID & build in soundcore app EQ. Pretty nifty it saves the EQ to the earphones.

These are brighter and may be slightly harsher than the Mavin Air-XR's. I typically don't listen at louder volumes so I can't say how it will be up past vol 5-6 of 16. They also have plenty of bass, fortunately it's clean and not muddy. I still ended up pulling a couple DB's on the EQ at 100hz.

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #20,736 of 62,162
Got my first set of true wireless earbuds yesterday. The Cambridge Audio Melomania M1.

Very impressive although I only have the Bluetooth cable Audeze lcd i3 to compare with which is unjust.

Fit is excellent, sound seems pretty neutral to me, update added some extra volume.

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #20,737 of 62,162
Got a pair of LP2 (rev3) to try out thanks to @d3myz. Been playing around with the HearID & build in soundcore app EQ. Pretty nifty it saves the EQ to the earphones.

These are brighter and may be slightly harsher than the Mavin Air-XR's. I typically don't listen at louder volumes so I can't say how it will be up past vol 5-6 of 16. They also have plenty of bass, fortunately it's clean and not muddy. I still ended up pulling a couple DB's on the EQ at 100hz.
I find all preset EQs unsatisfactory. But if you push the midrange sliders--200Hz, 400Hz, 800Hz, 1.6kHz--all the way up to +6dB, and some of the treble up too on the user-defined EQ, these become insane beasts.

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #20,738 of 62,162
Interesting that you can sleep with the Mifo 05 and 07, I didn't realize that they were that small ! Has anyone compared them to the SSK or Bomakers that were the smallest I'd seen so far...and didn't work for me for sleeping on the side as they put too much pressure. Same for fitting under a ski helmet.

Going to update the L2P software ASAP for the new presets.

Mar 20, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #20,740 of 62,162

Yeah, I tried a mifo clone and they were really small. I had no idea they had APTx support or an ambient mode. They seemed worth it after they came out but creeped up in price quite a bit, almost doubling. The color also seems a bit much.

I almost considered the shanling mtw100 but they don't support APTx and the touch controls feel like they might get in the way of resting on the side.

I can also sleep fine with the x12 earbuds, but they just don't sound good enough to make me want to use them more than that...

Mar 20, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #20,741 of 62,162
No way I could sleep with my X12s while lying on the side or fit them under my ski helmet, I'm puzzled !

Mar 20, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #20,742 of 62,162
Interesting that you can sleep with the Mifo 05 and 07, I didn't realize that they were that small ! Has anyone compared them to the SSK or Bomakers that were the smallest I'd seen so far...and didn't work for me for sleeping on the side as they put too much pressure. Same for fitting under a ski helmet.

I am using my mifo07 on the bed at night when I am watching youtube and it is the most comfortable tws to use while sleeping on your side too. Can't do it with 1more ANC lol.

Mar 20, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #20,743 of 62,162
Yeah, I tried a mifo clone and they were really small. I had no idea they had APTx support or an ambient mode. They seemed worth it after they came out but creeped up in price quite a bit, almost doubling. The color also seems a bit much.

I almost considered the shanling mtw100 but they don't support APTx and the touch controls feel like they might get in the way of resting on the side.

I can also sleep fine with the x12 earbuds, but they just don't sound good enough to make me want to use them more than that...
Hmmm my original mifo 05 don't have apt x as far as I'm aware. My phone only just got it recently with android 10 update. It does have aac, which I'm fine with. I can't tell the difference to be honest.

Mar 20, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #20,744 of 62,162

Yes I have the the bomaker sifi and the mifo 05. The bomaker are slightly smaller but sit deeper in your ear. I have big ear holes but I can sleep in both of them. Your milage may vary. I find the mifo 05 more comfortable because they are a shallower fit.

The bomaker sifi are more v shaped and have more treble and bass than the mifo 05. A little bit fatiguing if I'm not in the mood. The mifo are fine all day as they are more polite.

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #20,745 of 62,162
Surprisingly enough I don't have any problems lying on my side whilst wearing my Sony WF1000XM3 headphones - I've never accidentally triggered the touch controls either. In all fairness though I have been using in ear monitors in bed for many years now and I tend to place my hand under my head which prevents the iem's from being pushed to far into my ears.

In all fairness though I still think you can't beat the Apple Airpods for bedtime listening (as long as you don't listen to loud as they leak sound like crazy).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back