Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #19,591 of 63,189
Those 1More headphones do not have a great seal. If you don't have a great seal, deeper insertion, like the Echo Buds or others, ANC will not be able to work properly. I put Comply foam tips on the 1More's and that did help, but at the end of the day, there are much better options. Sometimes ANC does not block out voices well. The Sony's and APP do better than others for sure. When music is on, it always helps to drown out noise. If you tried the AirPods Pro and the Sony ANC true wireless headphones, you'd understand. I've had them both. The Sonys just didn't fit my ears well. A lot of people have this issue with them. But the ANC was spot on. And the AirPods pro's sound for music isn't as good as others. I may revisit the APP because the form factor while traveling is just wonderful and they're easy to sleep with. I used them on an airplane and they were very convenient. If I do get them again, I'll splurge and get the black Colorware version :)
I have used my sony wh1000x and it does have better noise cancelling. I tried my friend's APP and funny enough the volume is abysmal low with both my android phone. And I hate iphone with a passion.

Feb 2, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #19,592 of 63,189
I have used my sony wh1000x and it does have better noise cancelling. I tried my friend's APP and funny enough the volume is abysmal low with both my android phone. And I hate iphone with a passion.
I had an issue with APP volume being too low with Android, and I had to reconnect BT to get the propwr volume level. On another APP, there was no such issue.

Feb 2, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #19,593 of 63,189

there is a glitch in the APP that causes the volume to lower switching from android to iOS I’ve found. Sometimes they need to be repaired and the volume goes back up. It’s annoying and not sure what is causing it.

edit - silverears you beat me to it!

Feb 2, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #19,594 of 63,189
I decided to take the plunge and ordered the Cleer Ally Plus and will give impressions once they arrive next week. In messaging with the support person (who was very responsive and well-informed), I learned the following:

-The noise cancelling is hybrid, with both feedforward and feedback microphones, as well as a third microphone for calls.

-In addition to AptX, these support AAC

-The controls allow adjusting the volume, but not track skipping. Kinda sucks, but I can live with it.

-No plans for an app at this point.

Excited to hear your thoughts on these! Been eyeing them for a while.

Feb 2, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #19,595 of 63,189
So what's the consensus on the Lypertec Tevi? I don't like a ton of mid-bass, and tend to like a slightly bright detailed sound. I've been finding my Galaxy Buds to be lacking in detail and clarity. Tried the Anker Liberty Air 2 and after a few days had to return them because they just don't fit me well.
Ditch the Tevi, the Fiil T1X is more balanced, with more forward and clear vocals and slightly better placement.

Feb 2, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #19,596 of 63,189
I truly don't understand anyone needing ANC. My buds seal well enough that if there is anything playing at any volume, I can't hear the outside world. To each their own of course. If you need it I'd love to hear what the benefit really is.

Yeah but why? With 1more, when no music is playing and ANC off, it barely block any noise unlike my T1X and mifo 07, but when the music is playing, I can hear faintly people talking and they need to talk pretty loudly too. Most other ambiance noises are blocked by the music.

If the main idea is to block mid frequencies and up, then yes, you don't need ANC at all. Passive isolation is what works in that scenario.
But for low freq rumble, only ANC could do the job. Even the most well known passive blockers like the Etymotics can't do it...try them on a plane or train, and you will get great muffled human conversations around you, but you will get that rumbles, and your own heart beating in your ears. Also everytime you talk to someone, your own voice would sound overwhelming inside your head.
With good ANC, you could hear music in really low volume and still pick up the details, and can listen to important environmental noise cues around you.

Try toggling ANC on and off without playing any music, and listen to the changes in the low frequency. Then use it with ANC on for some time (still with no music) , and then slowly remove the earpiece from your ears, and feel those low freq creeps in as you remove it. You'll be surprised by how much low rumble sound present around you everyday, and we don't even realise it

Feb 2, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #19,597 of 63,189
If the main idea is to block mid frequencies and up, then yes, you don't need ANC at all. Passive isolation is what works in that scenario.
But for low freq rumble, only ANC could do the job. Even the most well known passive blockers like the Etymotics can't do it...try them on a plane or train, and you will get great muffled human conversations around you, but you will get that rumbles, and your own heart beating in your ears. Also everytime you talk to someone, your own voice would sound overwhelming inside your head.
With good ANC, you could hear music in really low volume and still pick up the details, and can listen to important environmental noise cues around you.

Try toggling ANC on and off without playing any music, and listen to the changes in the low frequency. Then use it with ANC on for some time (still with no music) , and then slowly remove the earpiece from your ears, and feel those low freq creeps in as you remove it. You'll be surprised by how much low rumble sound present around you everyday, and we don't even realise it
Then thats what 1more ANC does. It literally kills low freq while conversation, finger snapping and tapping on a table still hearable. This is of course with no music playing.

Feb 2, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #19,598 of 63,189
Then thats what 1more ANC does. It literally kills low freq while conversation, finger snapping and tapping on a table still hearable. This is of course with no music playing.

Now with music playing softly (or at max, in coversation level volume), try toggling the ANC on and off. Usually without ANC on, the lows would get clouded and blurred by the outside rumbles. With loud music that ANC effect would be less apparent, because the music already overpowers the ambient noise already..but that will not be healthy for the ears. I have a rather sensitive hearing..meaning loud noise would hurt my ears, so having ANC is a Godsend.

I haven't tried the 1more personally, but judging by experience, i think why people think it doesn't have good ANC is because of it has less passive isolation than what they normally use, not because of the ANC performance alone

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #19,599 of 63,189
So, I figured given the solid performers between $20-$50 are getting more plentiful, I wanted to see just how low one can go before the point of diminishing returns hit. Embracing my inner Brian Cashman (circa his 2018-2019 offseason steals - baseball reference for those who don't follow it), I wanted to see if I can pull off finding some gems scraping the bottom-of-the-barrel like he did. So we'll start all the way from the bottom (all prices USD)...

Coming in at $5.99 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0843Q7TV1
Not sure if intentional bait-and-switch or honest mistake but what I received was nothing like what was posted as the product pic here:
3104G3FU2RL.jpg
Based on the reviews, looks like it happened to three others as well.

As for the "incorrect" product I received, they're basically AirPods clones but heckuva lot bigger (pictured next to the real deal and AA battery thrown in for reference but I don't think my pics do justice to just how much bigger they feel/look especially when worn - lol):
DSC00848.JPG

Where do I even start? I mean look for $5.99, I'm honestly amazed it even works. If I squish them in my ears to form a perfect seal, the sound is actually decently clean sounding (keep in mind I'm considering the price here...) if a bit mid-forward and bass-light but without that seal, it's completely devoid of any bass and sounds like a cheap speaker playing inside a cardboard box. The button on each stalk do in fact work but quality is mediocre and I'll doubt they'll hold up in the long run.

Another pic with toothbrush head thrown in for size comparo: :jecklinsmile:
DSC00849.JPG
While my wife normally rolls her eyes and gives me the "That's niiiiice deeeear" look with each TWS she's seen me trying, she actually summarized it best for these:
"That's embarrassing to be seen wearing even around the house!"

Can't say I disagree in the least... LOL

Next up ringing in at $9.99 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YTFNF9W/
51puGJVPIJL._SL1000_.jpg
Despite the fact that it says by Unknown, I figured with Amazon Prime, I'd be safe giving these a shot. The quality on these are just so cheap feeling and the plastic is akin to those plastic green military soldiers some of us older folks grew up playing with. They are so crazy light that they are actually very comfy but while the sound is actually decent, it's devoid of bass despite me getting a good seal on 'em. One MUST also use the included wing tips else they simply will not charge in the case as it relies on the tips to apply some additional downward pressure. Bottom line - strike two...

Ok, maybe third time's the charm? Also at $9.99 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083745164
51dDmsxgh+L._SL1000_.jpg
Orighty, not gonna lie that I just jumped on these for that price since the white versions were going for 4 times the price ($39.99).

So... due to the awkward shape and extremely short stem, I simply can't get a good seal and still haven't found a tip that fits well. The stock ones are double-flanged and about 6.5mm long at the base and note the lip that extends over the stem in this pic:
DSC00851.JPG
From the brief moments I am able to angle them properly and get a temporary good seal, they actually sound pretty darn good! Just wish I could find the right tips (5.6mm nozzle but again it's the length that matters more) so am going to hang on to these for a bit until I can make a final call. However, for the price these are awesome bang for the buck with a very nice and compact case that even features a battery % read out:
DSC00850.JPG

Welp, that's a wrap for now as the others break the $20 barrier and I'm still testing a few of them... lol

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #19,600 of 63,189
So, I figured given the solid performers between $20-$50 are getting more plentiful, I wanted to see just how low one can go before the point of diminishing returns hit. Embracing my inner Brian Cashman (circa his 2018-2019 offseason steals - baseball reference for those who don't follow it), I wanted to see if I can pull off finding some gems scraping the bottom-of-the-barrel like he did. So we'll start all the way from the bottom (all prices USD)...

Coming in at $5.99 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0843Q7TV1
Not sure if intentional bait-and-switch or honest mistake but what I received was nothing like what was posted as the product pic here:
3104G3FU2RL.jpg
Based on the reviews, looks like it happened to three others as well.

As for the "incorrect" product I received, they're basically AirPods clones but hella bigger (pictured next to the real deal and AA battery thrown in for reference but I don't think my pics do justice to just how much bigger they feel/look especially when worn - lol):
DSC00848.JPG

Where do I even start? I mean look for $5.99, I'm honestly amazed it even works. If I squish them in my ears to form a perfect seal, the sound is actually decently clean sounding (keep in mind I'm considering the price here...) if a bit mid-forward and bass-light but without that seal, it's completely devoid of any bass and sounds like a cheap speaker playing inside a cardboard box. The button on each stalk do in fact work but quality is mediocre and I'll doubt they'll hold up in the long run.

Another pic with toothbrush head thrown in for size comparo: :jecklinsmile:
DSC00849.JPG
While my wife normally rolls her eyes and gives me the "That's niiiiice deeeear" look with each TWS she's seen me trying, she actually summarized it best for these:
"That's embarrassing to be seen wearing even around the house!"

Can't say I disagree in the least... LOL

Next up ringing in at $9.99 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YTFNF9W/
51puGJVPIJL._SL1000_.jpg
Despite the fact that it says by Unknown, I figured with Amazon Prime, I'd be safe giving these a shot. The quality on these are just so cheap feeling and the plastic is akin to those plastic green military soldiers some of us older folks grew up playing with. They are so crazy light that they are actually very comfy but while the sound is actually decent, it's devoid of bass despite me getting a good seal on 'em. One MUST also use the included wing tips else they simply will not charge in the case as it relies on the tips to apply some additional downward pressure. Bottom line - strike two...

Ok, maybe third time's the charm? Also at $9.99 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083745164
51dDmsxgh+L._SL1000_.jpg
Orighty, not gonna lie that I just jumped on these for that price since the white versions were going for 4 times the price ($39.99).

So... due to the awkward shape and extremely short stem, I simply can't get a good seal and still haven't found a tip that fits well. The stock ones are double-flanged and about 6.5mm long at the base and not the lip that can be extended over the stem in this pic:
DSC00851.JPG
From the brief moments I am able to angle them properly and get a temporary good seal, they actually sound pretty darn good! Just wish I could find the right tips (5.6mm nozzle but again it's the length that matters more) so am going to hang on to these for a bit until I can make a final call. However, for the price these are awesome bang for the buck with a very nice and compact case that even features a battery % read out:
DSC00850.JPG

Welp, that's a wrap for now as the others break the $20 barrier and I'm still testing a few of them... lol

Nice that I am not the only cheapo hunter here :)

That first one really is a mean bait-n-switch, the initial pic looks good. But what you got is the i7, the very first AirPod clone which I remember selling for 50$+ when they first came out .. by now they are over mass produced and sellers try to get rid of stock (I got a set as a 'freebie' from AE), they are a surprise as in 'they actually work and do NOT sound absolutely useless' (that one goes to the D15) .. but battery lasts less than 1h and yes, they just look terrible in ear .. you can stuff your toothbrush in there for similar effect.

Feb 3, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #19,601 of 63,189
Now with music playing softly (or at max, in coversation level volume), try toggling the ANC on and off. Usually without ANC on, the lows would get clouded and blurred by the outside rumbles. With loud music that ANC effect would be less apparent, because the music already overpowers the ambient noise already..but that will not be healthy for the ears. I have a rather sensitive hearing..meaning loud noise would hurt my ears, so having ANC is a Godsend.

I haven't tried the 1more personally, but judging by experience, i think why people think it doesn't have good ANC is because of it has less passive isolation than what they normally use, not because of the ANC performance alone
It does have a weak passive noise isolation. There is almost no pressure build up when you put it on your ears. I think the problem with 1more, they try to compensate the loss in bass by boosting it when the ANC turned on. They simply just boosted it too much and can be easily fix with software update. I just tried listening to music in my bathroom with the fan turned on to try out the ANC feature and at level 1, you can still hear faintly the fan (music at 20% volume). Turned it up to level 2, it is harder to hear the fan noise since most of the low is cut out, leaving just a tiny hiss sound from the fan. The music playing also change in sound, the higher the ANC level, the higher the bass is and less splash from the treble. But you can still hear everything clearly. Vocal/mid didn't really take much hit. Cymbals sound like there is barely any shimmer to it. And as I said, I will be travelling this month so I will try the ANC against airbus A350.

Feb 3, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #19,602 of 63,189
Hmm, mine came from mifo direct as the seller which makes you think that they'd be at least as updated. Perhaps not ?

G

Applied the firmware update --- thanks so much to Francesco. The original digital clipping I mentioned is still there on the song I quoted, I _think_ that the overall sound signature is improved though, but as I listen to more music, the clipping is always prone to come back, I just noticed again listening to Chemical Brothers' Got To Keep On around 3:45 onwards and you'll hear it all over the place (I am skipping past the section that has a lot of chaotic sound to a more regular passage - the metallic tearing/ripping sound happens almost on a marching tempo). The Nuarl 6's remain a tough act to beat, but the form factor of the o7s is so fantastic. I may send them back for replacement and check to see how that functions. But for right now, I won't keep them as is ---- if you have them, perhaps you can try on the above passage and see if you hear what I can.

Also - had a little look on amazon, and a couple of the critical reviews there seem to mention the precise same thing I am noticing. Surprised nobody here has noticed ? "On some songs with punchy bass, there is a terrible amount of noise distortion which is unbearable. It seems to be more prominent on one earbud which leads me to believe there may be some quality control issues in the manufacturing process." and "1/31/2020 I ordered a replacement because the sound crackles badly even at VERY low volume. This happened to the first one and it is annoying as hell. Im very very dissapointed. These ear buds have the form factor that i like and touch control but the sound quality is terrible."

Those comments I think on the balance reflect my impressions.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #19,603 of 63,189
Applied the firmware update --- thanks so much to Francesco. The original digital clipping I mentioned is still there on the song I quoted, I _think_ that the overall sound signature is improved though, but as I listen to more music, the clipping is always prone to come back, I just noticed again listening to Chemical Brothers' Got To Keep On around 3:45 onwards and you'll hear it all over the place (I am skipping past the section that has a lot of chaotic sound to a more regular passage - the metallic tearing/ripping sound happens almost on a marching tempo). The Nuarl 6's remain a tough act to beat, but the form factor of the o7s is so fantastic. I may send them back for replacement and check to see how that functions. But for right now, I won't keep them as is ---- if you have them, perhaps you can try on the above passage and see if you hear what I can.

Also - had a little look on amazon, and a couple of the critical reviews there seem to mention the precise same thing I am noticing. Surprised nobody here has noticed ? "On some songs with punchy bass, there is a terrible amount of noise distortion which is unbearable. It seems to be more prominent on one earbud which leads me to believe there may be some quality control issues in the manufacturing process." and "1/31/2020 I ordered a replacement because the sound crackles badly even at VERY low volume. This happened to the first one and it is annoying as hell. Im very very dissapointed. These ear buds have the form factor that i like and touch control but the sound quality is terrible."

Those comments I think on the balance reflect my impressions.

I did an entire post about that lol. I said in my post that heavy bass songs will clip/distort the sound. The only remedy is to lower the volume.

Feb 3, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #19,604 of 63,189
I never did get that FW update for my 1more. If they can iron out the SQ issues over ANC, I'll revisit them. I agree it should be an easy fix if they actually wanted to fix. Switching back to Android, so I might give the MW07+ another run with Aptx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back