Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #19,576 of 62,963
I decided to take the plunge and ordered the Cleer Ally Plus and will give impressions once they arrive next week. In messaging with the support person (who was very responsive and well-informed), I learned the following:

-The noise cancelling is hybrid, with both feedforward and feedback microphones, as well as a third microphone for calls.

-In addition to AptX, these support AAC

-The controls allow adjusting the volume, but not track skipping. Kinda sucks, but I can live with it.

-No plans for an app at this point.

Feb 2, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #19,577 of 62,963
I am very disappointed in the o7s after a day of close listening. If there is any meaningful bass, then it is going to sound metallic and potentially clip, regardless of the volume (see my example above), and after trying a variety of tips this does not change. I find the sound, for want of a better word, cold and metallic, clipped and digital, it's not a set that I enjoy spending time with musically, although it is comfortable. I listened to a variety of music, acoustic, indie rock, classical, ambient, dance, and all felt uninviting and uninvolving to me.

The Nuarl n6 pro, on the other hand, is outstanding. I can wear for extended period of time with the spinfit tips and I don't experiences sound fatigue like with the o7s. It is warm, an open soundstage, not bass heavy like the mavins, but capable at both low and high volumes.

So, that's my summary, keeping the mavins and the nuarls, o7s going back, going to try the track air+s

it’s interesting that you are hearing clipping in the bass, at any volume. I used the audio test site and have listened to songs with heavy bass and only appreciate clipping if I’m at max volume, something I’m hoping the firmware upgrade may address.

With the combination of personal sound preferences and potential for build variances and equipment differences driving the sound...it’s no wonder we are always debating and discussing in here. :)

Feb 2, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #19,578 of 62,963
I truly don't understand anyone needing ANC. My buds seal well enough that if there is anything playing at any volume, I can't hear the outside world. To each their own of course. If you need it I'd love to hear what the benefit really is.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #19,579 of 62,963
it’s interesting that you are hearing clipping in the bass, at any volume. I used the audio test site and have listened to songs with heavy bass and only appreciate clipping if I’m at max volume, something I’m hoping the firmware upgrade may address.

With the combination of personal sound preferences and potential for build variances and equipment differences driving the sound...it’s no wonder we are always debating and discussing in here. :)

It has to be either a defective unit, or old firmware I think, the clipping is very noticeable at even relatively low volumes, when that is not the case for the same source and songs with all my other headsets.

I'll see if I can update or replace, and report back! I did search online at some point and I believe saw mention of at least another case that was rectified with firmware, but sounds like nobody here is experiencing that.

A question for those of you with good sounding units, did you get them from Amazon?

Feb 2, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #19,580 of 62,963
I decided to take the plunge and ordered the Cleer Ally Plus and will give impressions once they arrive next week. In messaging with the support person (who was very responsive and well-informed), I learned the following:

-The noise cancelling is hybrid, with both feedforward and feedback microphones, as well as a third microphone for calls.

-In addition to AptX, these support AAC

-The controls allow adjusting the volume, but not track skipping. Kinda sucks, but I can live with it.

-No plans for an app at this point.
I ordered these too. Hopefully here in a week or so. We shall see if they are any good. I like the swipe up and down for volume, similar to the Bragi Dash pro. Hopefully it works well. I do wish they had a Qi charging case.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #19,581 of 62,963
I truly don't understand anyone needing ANC. My buds seal well enough that if there is anything playing at any volume, I can't hear the outside world.
Sometimes ANC headphones block out things that passive isolation cannot. That said, there are a lot of tw buds out there that do passive isolation quite well.

Feb 2, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #19,582 of 62,963
I can not describe in words how disappointed I am in these 1more ANC.

Looking at 1mores website I do not see anything about a return policy. Did you buy from 1more or Amazon. I’m gonna be super bummed if I cannot return them. I guess someone will take them off my hands on eBay maybe since they are sold out

I bought mine from Amazon and already returned them at my local Amazon return center. Got my refund already. Kind of the only way I will do it these days unless I truly know the brand and I know that what I’m getting is going to be flawless. Some of these in the brands just aren’t there yet so everything is always a gamble. Amazon’s return policy is just amazing.

I have the Cleer Ally Plus coming soon so hopefully those destroy what I have so far.

Feb 2, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #19,583 of 62,963
I truly don't understand anyone needing ANC. My buds seal well enough that if there is anything playing at any volume, I can't hear the outside world. To each their own of course. If you need it I'd love to hear what the benefit really is.

It will go above and beyond. Busy market/trading floor, big wind noise, airplane travel, near construction, etc. Some might not need more than the passive.

Feb 2, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #19,584 of 62,963
It has to be either a defective unit, or old firmware I think, the clipping is very noticeable at even relatively low volumes, when that is not the case for the same source and songs with all my other headsets.

I'll see if I can update or replace, and report back! I did search online at some point and I believe saw mention of at least another case that was rectified with firmware, but sounds like nobody here is experiencing that.

A question for those of you with good sounding units, did you get them from Amazon?

yea, I got mine on Amazon sold by “YY Morul”.

Feb 2, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #19,585 of 62,963
ANC is completely different to me than passive isolation. Like apples and oranges. Even well sealing iems will sound awful on a plane. I don’t care how well they isolate. ANC takes care of that. ANC kills the hum and background noise at the gym for me.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #19,587 of 62,963
Hmm, mine came from mifo direct as the seller which makes you think that they'd be at least as updated. Perhaps not ?

G

who knows...

As a counter argument, I would expect the manufacturer to have more old stock than a reseller...

at least you’d hope they would take care of you if it was a direct sale........

Feb 2, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #19,588 of 62,963
Sometimes ANC headphones block out things that passive isolation cannot. That said, there are a lot of tw buds out there that do passive isolation quite well.
Yeah but why? With 1more, when no music is playing and ANC off, it barely block any noise unlike my T1X and mifo 07, but when the music is playing, I can hear faintly people talking and they need to talk pretty loudly too. Most other ambiance noises are blocked by the music.

Feb 2, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #19,589 of 62,963
Yeah but why? With 1more, when no music is playing and ANC off, it barely block any noise unlike my T1X and mifo 07, but when the music is playing, I can hear faintly people talking and they need to talk pretty loudly too. Most other ambiance noises are blocked by the music.
Those 1More headphones do not have a great seal. If you don't have a great seal, deeper insertion, like the Echo Buds or others, ANC will not be able to work properly. I put Comply foam tips on the 1More's and that did help, but at the end of the day, there are much better options. Sometimes ANC does not block out voices well. The Sony's and APP do better than others for sure. When music is on, it always helps to drown out noise. If you tried the AirPods Pro and the Sony ANC true wireless headphones, you'd understand. I've had them both. The Sonys just didn't fit my ears well. A lot of people have this issue with them. But the ANC was spot on. And the AirPods pro's sound for music isn't as good as others. I may revisit the APP because the form factor while traveling is just wonderful and they're easy to sleep with. I used them on an airplane and they were very convenient. If I do get them again, I'll splurge and get the black Colorware version :)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #19,590 of 62,963
I'm a big proponent of ANC technology, and I used to think like that until I heard a good ANC in various environments including highly noisy environments like aircraft cabins and trains. It makes sound much more coherent when background noise is reduced. ANC is the best solution in those environments as passive isolation cannot reduce low frequency noises with seal all that well.

In noisy environments, signal to noise ratio is low as the noise masks the sounds coming out of your earphones. If you reduce to the noise, backgrounds are blacker, and you won't have to increase volume to hear the sounds. People gets into a habit of doing this when ANC wasn't used, but they don't really are conscious or think about it. Because it has not been taken into consideration until the benefit of ANC is experienced. They just wear their air or earpods with no seal, and increase the volume in the subway, and I bet that has caused damages to their hearing without knowing how high they raise the volume to get over the high ambient noise.

ANC increases fidelity.

Also the reason why I could give two poops about THX Panda. Why would I want a wireless headphone that doesn't do ANC? Don't need it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back