Gilmore Lite Amp Owners Unite!
Jul 29, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #46 of 739

[size=12.0pt]Just got the amp today so I'm officially a G Lite owner! I'm currently feeding the Gilmore Lite through a uDac with monoprice rca interconnect.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]First Impressions[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Wow! I didn't realize how small this amp was. I was expecting something a bit bigger. The size is similar to the EF2 though not as wide but with more depth.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]My cans are mostly low impedance so the knob on the G Lite rarely goes above the 9 o'clock position and generally stays at around 7 or 8 o'clock. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]Build quality. This thing is built solid and in my opinion quite attractive with its brushed aluminum case.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Dead silent at normal volumes. I don't hear any type of hum or static until the volume knob hits 3 o'clock. I do hear a slight static or fizz but it's not too noticeable. Seeing as how I doubt I'll ever listen to this amp at ear shattering levels I'm more than fine with that.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Sound (using D2000s)[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I'm coming from and EF2 and uDac and this destroys them in every sense. The bass on my D2000 is the tightest I've heard it with more impact than I remember. The amp seems pretty neutral to be honest. I've noticed increased detail, soundstage, and overall a better presentation than I've heard before. The speed is possibly faster than before though I haven't compared it to my other amps. I can definitely pick up stuff I've never heard before. On one of my songs, I noticed what I'd always thought was one note was two notes very close to one another that produce a rather interesting effect. My previous amp was an EF2 which gave me this unnatural coloration in the mids which I couldn't quite place my finger on and never settled with me. Veiled may be a word for it. Also unlike the EF2, I don't sense that the amp is holding the sound quality back. Clear would be a good word for this amp. I'll have to try it out with my other cans soon. It's safe to say I'm on my honeymoon with this amp.[/size]

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #49 of 739
What do you guys do with DPS when you are away for long period of time? Do you just unplug the DPS since there is no power switch?  I usually leave it one for weekend trip but I have a 3 weeks business trip and think should I leave it on or not.

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #50 of 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394  
" What do you guys do with DPS when you are away for long period of time? Do you just unplug the DPS since there is no power switch?  I usually leave it one for weekend trip but I have a 3 weeks business trip and think should I leave it on or not."

I also leave mine on al all tines. However, I unplug my entire rig if I'm leaving for more than a day. Brown outs, power surges, power failures, t-storms, who knows what can happen? It only takes about a half hour to warm up.

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #51 of 739
Hey y'all, I have a potential problem with my Glite DPS, and I was wondering if anyone here would have any insight. This is essentially what I sent Justin in an email a couple days ago. We all know how he can be with emails, so I figured that while I wait, I'd open the issue up to the floor on head-fi.

I've owned a Gilmore Lite for about 1.5 years, and this summer, I bought the DPS unit from a head-fier. When I first started using the DPS, I noticed a small intermittent crackling sound, but I wasn't sure if there was a problem and it wasn't really an issue. However, tonight the sound was more piercing and louder than I had been noticing, and I decided to inspect around.

I was feeling around the amp and DPS, and when I touched the side where the back panel and case meet, I felt an electric shock. I've kind of tried to figure out why the shock is happening, and I've found that anytime that the DPS is plugged into the wall, the clicking/crackling occurs in my headphones and I can feel a shock at that seam. I'm about 80% sure that the shock is real (because I felt no strange sensation with the DPS unplugged), but there is a possibility that the shock is just in my head. Also, when I plug in my headphones when the amplifier unit is off but the DPS is on, there is a hum and some crackling. This also occurs whenever the plug comes into contact with any part of the headphone out. However, this seemed more normal to me than the clicking.

Is the clicking noise normal when using the DPS unit with the Gilmore Lite? I tried it with amp on and amp off and the clicking occurs in all cases that the DPS is on. As a note, I'm pretty sure that my amplifier unit and DPS unit are from different production runs because the DPS has a slightly thicker/less well machined front panel, and the LED is a different color than the amp's. I'm also using HD650s if that is important.

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #52 of 739
i'm not sure why a clicking noise should all of a sudden occur just by changing the ps. i've no such problem with my g-lite with the standard ps. clearly there's a problem. i'd recommend disconnecting it asap and going back to the standard ps. hopefully Justin responds quickly. have you tried sending him a pm in addition to your email?

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #53 of 739

Quote:
i'm not sure why a clicking noise should all of a sudden occur just by changing the ps. i've no such problem with my g-lite with the standard ps. clearly there's a problem. i'd recommend disconnecting it asap and going back to the standard ps. hopefully Justin responds quickly. have you tried sending him a pm in addition to your email?

Yeah, I've had it disconnected from the wall and the amp since I noticed that the noise was getting worse (when I posted this). Baka1969 gave me Justin's phone number, so I plan on calling him tomorrow when I'm done with class. Sadly I don't have the wall wart anymore so I've been rigless for a few days, but I can manage. The Portapros are just getting more love than normal 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I didn't have the problem with the wall wart, either, so I am pretty sure that the DPS is the problem child in this family. 

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #54 of 739
I owned a Gilmore Lite and the DPS from 2005-2006 and I still consider it one of the best amplifiers ever made, and one of the best values in this often overpriced hobby.

I need to buy another one to satisfy my nostalgic cravings.

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #55 of 739
Finally got GLite with DPS again, I think this is my 4 or 5th buy and sell GLite since I joined this forum.  This time I'm not selling it anymore.

Listening to it now with iPhone>GLite>JH13, it is very nice combo for work.  It have loads more power than my iPhone>Pico Slim>JH13 combo, much more transparent and details.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #56 of 739
I just received a Gilmore Liite with the DPS that I got in the FS forum, listening to it right now. It's definitely the most detailed amp I've heard. Overall it sounds very balanced with my HD600s, I had read a few times that it could be a tad bright or fatiguing in the treble but I'm not finding that to be the case. Its revealing without being harsh in any way I'd say.  I'm pretty happy with it so far, we'll see how it handles some LCD-2s I have on the way.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #57 of 739

Quote:
I just received a Gilmore Liite with the DPS that I got in the FS forum, listening to it right now. It's definitely the most detailed amp I've heard. Overall it sounds very balanced with my HD600s, I had read a few times that it could be a tad bright or fatiguing in the treble but I'm not finding that to be the case. Its revealing without being harsh in any way I'd say.  I'm pretty happy with it so far, we'll see how it handles some LCD-2s I have on the way.

IMO, the HD600s sound best with a detailed, transparent amp with low-Z output that can open them up.  This is actually what Sennheiser recommends.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 6, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #58 of 739
I am glad that you are digging the GLite, RTF! I too found that it was a very good match for HD600's. They were never shrill, just extremely neutral and balanced in sound signature; all made better by the GLite's knack for extreme detail. Definitely one of the best affordable 'wire with a gain' amps out there.

Quote:

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #59 of 739
Thanks ss, yeah I'm liking this amp more and more. Balanced is the best word I can think of, bass is just right and all the details are there. I've heard my HD600s through a M^3, WA3, Amphora,  and a HA-160, and I like Gilmore the best, hopefully I'll stick with this amp for awhile, unless of course I upgrade to a GS-1 heh.

Quote:
I am glad that you are digging the GLite, RTF! I too found that it was a very good match for HD600's. They were never shrill, just extremely neutral and balanced in sound signature; all made better by the GLite's knack for extreme detail. Definitely one of the best affordable 'wire with a gain' amps out there.

Quote:

Mar 5, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #60 of 739
Paid for my Gilmore Lite w/ DPS from another head-fier. Looking forward to receiving it next week :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back