Gilmore Lite Amp Owners Unite!
Aug 20, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #736 of 739
GL2 + GRPS is warm/neutral and is actually warmer than some hybrid. Need to be left on 24/7 for best performance.
Oh now that you mentioned it, is it ok to leave it on 24/7? I always thought class A would get really hot. Kind of why I was previously looking at RNHP first since it's said to be cool when left on 24/7.

I'm trying to find something that can be left on at least for 1 full day (morning to night). Don't want to worry about eating away tubes when I'm just doing basic things which is what prompt me to look at solid states if that makes sense lol. :laughing:

Aug 20, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #737 of 739
Oh now that you mentioned it, is it ok to leave it on 24/7? I always thought class A would get really hot. Kind of why I was previously looking at RNHP first since it's said to be cool when left on 24/7.

I'm trying to find something that can be left on at least for 1 full day (morning to night). Don't want to worry about eating away tubes when I'm just doing basic things which is what prompt me to look at solid states if that makes sense lol. :laughing:
It’s hot at close to 50ish C but leave it on. Will be fine. Old GS1 (now with gsx2 modules) has been left on for probably close to 15yrs mostly continuously and no issue really.

Dec 8, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #738 of 739
Not a new GL mk2 owner yet, but currently demo'ing it in comparison to my Lyr 3 and a DIY Nelson Pass-designed Class A headphone amp (ACP+), courtesy of the very generous @adydula for letting me play with it! In an effort to see if there was a similarly-designed Class A headphone amp on the market that's plug and play (vs. the DIY build of the materials provided in the ACP+ kit) and around $500-1000, I stumbled upon the Headamp GLmk2.

Questions for you GL + GRPS owners, after I've spent some time comparing the GL (alone) vs. the ACP+:
  1. With the GRPS upgrade, how much of an improvement is there in spatial/time domain response? And by extension, how much of an improvement is there to the blackness of the background?
  2. Is instrument separation improved as well vs the GL alone?
  3. What other factors in the sound take a significant step up, and to the best of your ability, can you describe the degree of that improvement?
I'm trying to determine if going the GLmk2 route is the direction I should stick with, given the fact that it's a fully production-grade product, with warranty, and an upgrade path in the future. Otherwise, I would have to wait for the ACP+ kit to be back in stock, and then learn how to assemble that kit, source a proper enclosure (young kids), and get everything together in a "finished" product of my own. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Pic or it didn't happen!
IMG_4665.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #739 of 739
  1. With the GRPS upgrade, how much of an improvement is there in spatial/time domain response? And by extension, how much of an improvement is there to the blackness of the background?
  2. Is instrument separation improved as well vs the GL alone?
  3. What other factors in the sound take a significant step up, and to the best of your ability, can you describe the degree of that improvement

My GLmk2 is at the office and I am wfh today. The power supply on the base GLmk2 was over 10 years old and basically didn't give the unit enough power, according to HeadAmp the base model now has a better power supply, I bought one of the earlier runs of the GLmk2 in 2018, so its not necessarily an apples to apples comparison.

Anyway I didn't touch the volume knob when I got the GRPS in earlier 2023. I just swapped in the OG power cable, then back to the GRPS and back.

The only difference I noticed that jumped out at me was that with the GRPS bass is noticeably louder.

I got the GLmk2 for nostalgia purposes mainly. The first "real" amp I got when I got into this hobby was the Gilmore Lite v2 back in 2004. There are newer, cheaper amps out there in 2023 that don't require a power supply upgrade down the road.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back