Gilmore Lite Amp Owners Unite!
Jan 29, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #301 of 739
You'll enjoy a nice SQ boost over the Asgard 2 surely, I look forward to your impressions. When you do decide to add a THX I'd heavily recommend the 887. The build quality difference is significant considering they are the same price.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #302 of 739
You'll enjoy a nice SQ boost over the Asgard 2 surely, I look forward to your impressions. When you do decide to add a THX I'd heavily recommend the 887. The build quality difference is significant considering they are the same price.

I hope so! I already have buyer's guilt lol. Should be here tomorrow.

There seem to be a few THX's that I haven't looked at in sufficient detail. Thanks for the recommendation.

I should have been more detailed in my previous post. I think amps do make a difference in the SQ and SS, but sometimes its subtle. I forgot to mention that I have an old Matrix M-Stage (first edition which came out around 2010 I think, the rectangular Lehmann Black Cube Linear clone) that I never really liked (powerful, but, to put it simply, a crude sound, kind of V shaped). I dragged that out and hooked it up to my Node 2i and I actually prefer the sound straight out of the Node 2i. Yes the headphone out on that isn't powerful enough, but it's almost enough (so much so I debated even getting a amp for this bedroom system). I did at least an hour of direct comparison to the Node 2i's out and the Matrix M-Stage, often switching back and forth within seconds with the volume matched as closely as I could per my ears, and though the M-Stage has more power (as mentioned) and width/depth of sound stage, the Node's SS is more refined, musical, and precise with a greatly improved midrange. So I've been using the out on it for over a week now.

But although that is almost good enough (and I'm actually often ok with good enough in audio, especially with headphones as I listen to them only 30% of the time or so over speakers), it lacks in volume on some tracks which is often frustrating, and it seems I could attain stellar sound with a better external amp hooked to it (which I hope the Gilmore Lite Mk2 is).

I've been too lazy to hook up the Schiit Asgard 2 to the Node 2i btw. I will certainly compare it and the Gilmore Lite Mk2 using the Node 2i as a source as well as the two amps in my main office computer based system.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #303 of 739
In my main setup I have the Schiit Asgard 2 which I like with reservations: it's always seemed somewhat unresolving, kind of congested or smeary, and just lacking a "pop" or real engagement factor. It's kind of bland overall, if competent and a good all rounder.

I went from Asgard 2 to mk2 and it was a nice step up. I wish I still had the original Gilmore Lite to compare.

Mar 15, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #306 of 739
I assume the extra outputs are for plugging in additional components such as a DAC or second Amp, is this true? Any chance of adding a USB power outlet for powering something like a Chord Hugo 2?

I haven't checked in for a while..the last few months have been extremely busy, but now w/ the coronavirus it's suddenly eerily quiet. So in this social distancing I'm making some time to work on some of these designs.

Update on progress in past day on this board. It will now be the same size as the Gilmore Lite mk2 enclosure, and have 1 output. The power supply will be likely be +/-18V, which is about 15% higher than what is in the desktop adapter, so there will be an increase in max voltage swing of the amp. The supply will be capable of about 20W, so it will be running about 50% capacity with a Gilmore Lite mk2. Estimated price $299

As it is right now, the power supply will be on if it is plugged in. The switch controls if the output is enabled. This replicates how it works already on the Gilmore Lite / mk2 when using the power adapter. But it is possible i could still remove the switch completely, as the Gilmore Lite has an OFF/ON switch anyway.

glmk2-grlv-supply.jpg

I will also do a larger version that is 50W capable, including the USB port you're suggesting. It will have 2 or 3 DIN outputs (for powering future products or multiple Gilmore Lite mk2s), and I could also consider a set of insulated binding posts for those who want to use the supply to power their own projects, if anyone thinks that sounds interesting. Estimated price $499

Last edited:
HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Mar 15, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #308 of 739
Awesome, though, I'll have to replace the current caps I've got in there. SILMILC II 16v had fit perfectly. I'd just prefer a basic PSU as opposed to anything with USB/etc.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #309 of 739
@justin w. Great to see the progress you've made. For me personally, just the basic PS to power the GL2 would be just fine.

Mar 16, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #310 of 739
I haven't checked in for a while..the last few months have been extremely busy, but now w/ the coronavirus it's suddenly eerily quiet. So in this social distancing I'm making some time to work on some of these designs.

Update on progress in past day on this board. It will now be the same size as the Gilmore Lite mk2 enclosure, and have 1 output. The power supply will be likely be +/-18V, which is about 15% higher than what is in the desktop adapter, so there will be an increase in max voltage swing of the amp. The supply will be capable of about 20W, so it will be running about 50% capacity with a Gilmore Lite mk2. Estimated price $299

As it is right now, the power supply will be on if it is plugged in. The switch controls if the output is enabled. This replicates how it works already on the Gilmore Lite / mk2 when using the power adapter. But it is possible i could still remove the switch completely, as the Gilmore Lite has an OFF/ON switch anyway.

glmk2-grlv-supply.jpg

I will also do a larger version that is 50W capable, including the USB port you're suggesting. It will have 2 or 3 DIN outputs (for powering future products or multiple Gilmore Lite mk2s), and I could also consider a set of insulated binding posts for those who want to use the supply to power their own projects, if anyone thinks that sounds interesting. Estimated price $499
Is there an expected performance improvement from using the new power supply?

Mar 19, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #311 of 739
I would get the usb option as I could use it for my mojo/poly setup! Been using the MoPo with the GL2 for over a year powering HD6xx, Ety ER4SR, iSine 10s and as a pre for ADAM A3X. GL2 made the MoPo faster with the transients, bolder with the bass, added detailing to the mids and highs without becoming fatiguing. Setup even gave the Ety's added bass (not much but very controlled)! Leaves no desire to upgrade even after comparing to Hugo 2. Thank you Justine

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #312 of 739
I'm curious, does anyone have a later revision Gilmore Lite MKii? With the switching PSU? I'd be curious to see the internal PCB if you are comfortable removing the top lid. It's simple, just remove the upper 2 screws from both back and front to remove the top half of the case. If it is tight still then use an allen wrench to gently loosen the volume knob and a socket to loosen the pot mount screw itself then just gently lift on the upper part of the case and it should lift right off.

Later versions of the MKii I've heard may have a switching PSU, while earlier ones have a linear brick. I wonder if the switcher MKii's will see a more significant benefit from going LPS.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #313 of 739
Later versions of the MKii I've heard may have a switching PSU, while earlier ones have a linear brick. I wonder if the switcher MKii's will see a more significant benefit from going LPS.
I have one of the later GL2's (with the new text design on the front), and hoping that the new PS will bring some benefits over the supplied SMPS

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #314 of 739
Awesome, though, I'll have to replace the current caps I've got in there. SILMILC II 16v had fit perfectly. I'd just prefer a basic PSU as opposed to anything with USB/etc.

I actually recently did this same mod on mine with decent results. A little clearer but also a little less forgiving. One thing to keep in mind, though is that while the 16V rated capacitors should be OK in with the stock +/-15V PSU, if the new one runs at +/-18V, then you couldn't use the new power supply with it. I now see why the stock caps were selected with the extra headroom. Shouldn't be too much grief for me switching back to stock or another higher rated cap that fits if I get the upgraded PSU eventually.

I realized while typing this, that is probably the reason you mentioned having to replace them. I'm guessing you bought the one I saw for sale that inspired me to try the same mod. Still, more voltage-rail headroom is always a welcome improvement.

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #315 of 739
I actually did not buy that one, I did the mod myself testing a couple other caps as well. Mine appears to be decently forgiving, using a Bifrost 2 as source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back