Gilmore Lite Amp Owners Unite!
Oct 28, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #211 of 739
Joined the Gilmore Lite Mk2 club and for the price it’s a fantastic sounding amp. I’m not sure why it’s not talked about more. The Gilmore Lite Mk2 has good, clean, class A power. It pushes the limits of what a, dare I say, entry level amp can be. I say that because it performs above it’s price to my ears. I read somewhere that HeadAmp is making a separate power supply for it much like the one they made for the Mk1. Does anyone know if that is still in works?

A bit off topic here, but seeing that you once owned the PS1000, how would you compare it with Abyss? Just to give some context I own the Abyss, and heard the PS1000 on a friend's system a week ago, I was seriously impressed.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #212 of 739
I read somewhere that HeadAmp is making a separate power supply for it much like the one they made for the Mk1. Does anyone know if that is still in works?

All mentions of the power supply stopped right around the time we started hearing about the GS-X Mini. I've been waiting months for some kind of update, but I've basically given up hope.

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #213 of 739
Joined the Gilmore Lite Mk2 club and for the price it’s a fantastic sounding amp. I’m not sure why it’s not talked about more. The Gilmore Lite Mk2 has good, clean, class A power. It pushes the limits of what a, dare I say, entry level amp can be. I say that because it performs above it’s price to my ears. I read somewhere that HeadAmp is making a separate power supply for it much like the one they made for the Mk1. Does anyone know if that is still in works?

Jealous of that setup! Running a Mimby Vali 2 with LCD2 classics mainly right now. I am still in the market for a SS since the Jotunheim was underwhelming for me. Maybe because I only run unbalanced and the amp was designed to run balanced so I have been thinking about this amp or a massdrop THX AAA($350) when it comes back in the next couple weeks.
$500 would be the most I want to spend on an amp.

What dac are you running with the mk2 and utopias?

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #214 of 739
A bit off topic here, but seeing that you once owned the PS1000, how would you compare it with Abyss? Just to give some context I own the Abyss, and heard the PS1000 on a friend's system a week ago, I was seriously impressed.
The PS1000’s were really good sounding headphones. I had them terminated with a Moon Audio Black Dragon Cable that made them sound even better. They were very open sounding and had crispness to their sound that works great with rock and metal music. I have no doubt that they would sound great with the Gilmore Lite Mk2 since they are much easier to drive than the Abyss. The Abyss needs more power than what the Gilmore Lite Mk2 has on board. But when driven properly the Abyss is technically much better than the PS1000’s. The bass is tighter and deeper, the highs are even more extended and airy and the mids are right where they need to be. The Grado’s would be a nice alternative to the Abyss. They also can be easy driven by the Gilmore Lite Mk2.

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #215 of 739
All mentions of the power supply stopped right around the time we started hearing about the GS-X Mini. I've been waiting months for some kind of update, but I've basically given up hope.
I hope they still have plans for it. The sonic improvements would be welcomed.

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #216 of 739
Jealous of that setup! Running a Mimby Vali 2 with LCD2 classics mainly right now. I am still in the market for a SS since the Jotunheim was underwhelming for me. Maybe because I only run unbalanced and the amp was designed to run balanced so I have been thinking about this amp or a massdrop THX AAA($350) when it comes back in the next couple weeks.
$500 would be the most I want to spend on an amp.

What dac are you running with the mk2 and utopias?
I normally use my Hugo 2 with the GL Mk2. Yesterday I tried the CEntrance DACPortable with the GL Mk2 and it worked well. The DACPortable is slightly warmer sounding and has a musical nature to it that I actually liked.

Monoprice is also releasing a version of the THX AAA amp. It has more features than the Massdrop version if you’re going to go that route. But the Gilmore Lite Mk2 should be on your list as well.

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #217 of 739

Good question. I'd email HeadAmp if anything, you're bound to get a truthful answer from them.

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #218 of 739
I am guessing the new power supply is still in the works; the GSX-Mini has just taken over priority right now.

Nov 11, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #220 of 739
If Justin is still planning a power supply and still early enough in the design phase, I have a recommendation. If it’s practical to make it dual voltage output with a 5V usb, it might extend the market of the supply to others beyond current GLite Mk. 2 owners. It might not be practical to do both in one box without significant compromises, though.

My line of thought is for DACs and streamers that use USB power inputs, like my Chord Qutest. I use an iFi iUSB with the Chord, but a GRLV supply could potentially be great, even if it might need to be a standalone design. Worst case scenario though, I can just stop being lazy and go the DIY route.

Nov 11, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #221 of 739
My current nightstand setup

F2ABAE3F-D89D-42CB-B39B-2A4F6A46A851.JPEG

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #222 of 739
They're working on the Power Supply. Justin mentioned it a couple months ago on another forum.

The Gilmore Lite mk2 + a Golden Reference supply might be the closest thing to a purist's modern version of the original Gilmore Dynamic amp -- updated 20 years later with modern parts and power supply regulation, but it still uses the original Toshiba JFET input pairs. Every so often, someone contacts me and has found a stash of them so I've been able to continue building the amps. It's why there was such a long gap between the Gilmore Lite and mk2.

Nov 27, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #224 of 739
How often do you adjust the sound with your Loki? Also does it fit on top of the gilmore or is it a little too wide?
It depends on the headphones I'm using. I adjust the tone controls to what I think is missing from the sound when listening to music. But once I dial in the adjustments on the Loki for a particular headphone it seems to work for all the music I'm listening too.

The Loki sits perfectly on top of the GL Mk2. I just wish it came in black.

IMG_0899.jpg

Dec 1, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #225 of 739
Hi all,

I have an issue with my Gilmore Lite, I've contacted HeadAmp but had no response at all so thought someone here may be able to help me.

My old silver Gilmore Lite + Power Supply (UK Plug) unit seemed to have stopped working recently but I discovered that the power cable was disconnected from the internal terminals of the power supply part of the stack, it fell out of the back of the powwer supply with a tiny pull by myself.
The wires are red, blue, green and white, the terminals they connect to in the amp are GND, GND, V+ and V-

Does anyone know which wire connects to which terminal?

Cheers for the help, really miss my little Gilmore Lite right now!

GsGhkwA.jpg
8okTGsS.jpg
OOgvWVE.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back