Gilmore Lite Amp Owners Unite!
Dec 2, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #226 of 739
Here are some old posts in an old thread about the pinout from the stock, non dedicated Elpac PSU:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gilmore-lite-power-supply-questions.732579/#post_11873332

From the way it's written, though, it's possible that it's describing the voltages on the the Astradyne PSU instead. (Or maybe I'm just not fully awake yet.) Anyway, I should probably check the voltages on my stock PSU and give you the pinout from that, instead of pointing you to the article. I should be able to do that this evening.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #227 of 739
Here are some old posts in an old thread about the pinout from the stock, non dedicated Elpac PSU:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gilmore-lite-power-supply-questions.732579/#post_11873332

From the way it's written, though, it's possible that it's describing the voltages on the the Astradyne PSU instead. (Or maybe I'm just not fully awake yet.) Anyway, I should probably check the voltages on my stock PSU and give you the pinout from that, instead of pointing you to the article. I should be able to do that this evening.

I appreciate that, just to clarify, it's the internal cables that I'm uncertain as to where they need to connect to, You can see the connection points and disconnected cables here.

AzKpPxP.jpg

imGOBhS

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #228 of 739
Sorry for the delay. My multimeter's charger seems to have gone missing in a recent house move, so I wasn't able to measure the outputs of my PSU.

But I did find you the datasheet for the stock (non dedicated) WM075-1950 power supply: https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Elpac PDFs/WM REV A.pdf

I don't know anything about the wire colours inside the dedicated PSU, so you'll need to start by testing which wire connects to which pin on the connector. I'd use a multimeter for this, and if you don't have one, basic models are not expensive. Be sure to match the wires to the pin numbers on the datasheet, and not to the pin numbers you'd get by simply counting clockwise or anticlockwise, because the pin numbers are not in sequential order inside the barrel.

Then, assuming the pinouts of the stock PSU and the dedicated PSU are the same (a reasonable assumption since the amp accepts either), you'll connect the wires in such a way that the two grounds go to the pins marked com on the datasheet, V+ goes to pin 3, and V- to pin 5.

Lastly I'd power up the PSU and use the multimeter to check the live voltages on the connector's pins to be sure they match expectations, before plugging it into anything.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #229 of 739
Sorry for the delay. My multimeter's charger seems to have gone missing in a recent house move, so I wasn't able to measure the outputs of my PSU.

But I did find you the datasheet for the stock (non dedicated) WM075-1950 power supply: https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Elpac PDFs/WM REV A.pdf

I don't know anything about the wire colours inside the dedicated PSU, so you'll need to start by testing which wire connects to which pin on the connector. I'd use a multimeter for this, and if you don't have one, basic models are not expensive. Be sure to match the wires to the pin numbers on the datasheet, and not to the pin numbers you'd get by simply counting clockwise or anticlockwise, because the pin numbers are not in sequential order inside the barrel.

Then, assuming the pinouts of the stock PSU and the dedicated PSU are the same (a reasonable assumption since the amp accepts either), you'll connect the wires in such a way that the two grounds go to the pins marked com on the datasheet, V+ goes to pin 3, and V- to pin 5.

Lastly I'd power up the PSU and use the multimeter to check the live voltages on the connector's pins to be sure they match expectations, before plugging it into anything.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the help and advice, I've got a cheap and cheerful multimeter on it's way and will use your guidance on this one. Cheers again pal!

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #230 of 739
Hello owners of the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2, I'm thinking about buying one but lack of the gain switch worries me, especially for watching blurays. I have headphones ranging from 20 Ohm to 80 ohm Focals, and 600 ohm Beyerdynamic; How would volume control scale over different headphones?

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #231 of 739
Hello owners of the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2, I'm thinking about buying one but lack of the gain switch worries me, especially for watching blurays. I have headphones ranging from 20 Ohm to 80 ohm Focals, and 600 ohm Beyerdynamic; How would volume control scale over different headphones?

My main two headphones are the HD6XX and Audeze LCD-2. I have to turn the knob up for the LCD-2 a bit. The Gilmore outclasses my Asgard 2 easy. Always regretted selling my Gilmore Lite back in like 2010 so its good to have one back

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #232 of 739
It depends on the headphones I'm using. I adjust the tone controls to what I think is missing from the sound when listening to music. But once I dial in the adjustments on the Loki for a particular headphone it seems to work for all the music I'm listening too.

The Loki sits perfectly on top of the GL Mk2. I just wish it came in black.

I'll probably be copying this stack soon. I recently sold my Qutest to fund 1 or 2 alternative headphones to my HD-650. I want to pick up the Loki and a cheaper DAC; considering the Modi Multibit, Modi 3, or Project Pre-box S2 digital. One of the Modi's, Loki, and the short Schiit cables should make for a nice compact stack. Like you, though, I wish I could get them in black to match the GL Mk2.

I'm currently without a dedicated DAC and just listening from the laptops onboard audio to the GL Mk2. It still sounds surprisingly good, which is what prompted me to sell the Qutest and go with a cheaper DAC + EQ. I also recently order the closed-back Pioneer SE-Monitor5 to try with it. I kind of want to try the Audio Technica AD2000 or AD2000x again (I owned the latter before) just to see how it sounds with the GL Mk2. I may wait, since I have a sneaking suspicion that AT is going to release a successor at CES. It's purely speculation on my part, but they've discontinued the X and are supposed to introduce three new audiophile headphones. The W5000 is well overdue for a refresh as well. Not to get too off topic, I just know the original GLite was often recommended for AT headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #233 of 739
I'll probably be copying this stack soon. I recently sold my Qutest to fund 1 or 2 alternative headphones to my HD-650. I want to pick up the Loki and a cheaper DAC; considering the Modi Multibit, Modi 3, or Project Pre-box S2 digital. One of the Modi's, Loki, and the short Schiit cables should make for a nice compact stack. Like you, though, I wish I could get them in black to match the GL Mk2.

I realize I am in the minority but I haven't really been impressed with the Modi Multibit. I firmly believe it holds the Gilmore Lite mk2 back. To my ears the Grace Designs SDAC sounds far superior and the added bonus is its only $80. I've been considering selling my Modi Multibit but haven't got around to boxing it up and listing it.

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #234 of 739
I realize I am in the minority but I haven't really been impressed with the Modi Multibit. I firmly believe it holds the Gilmore Lite mk2 back. To my ears the Grace Designs SDAC sounds far superior and the added bonus is its only $80. I've been considering selling my Modi Multibit but haven't got around to boxing it up and listing it.

Thanks for the advice. I enjoyed the Yggdrasil and Gungnir Multibit, but realize they're entirely different animals. At this point, I may even just go with the Modi 3 to save a little more money for headphones. Any of them should be an improvement from onboard laptop sound. The SDAC is definitely a possibility as well, I totally forgot about it. Not to mention, it comes in black.

EDIT: Now that you mention it, a used m9xx might be a good option too. Part of the draw of the Pro-ject is the attenuation. Sometimes the gain on the GL Mk2 can be a bit higher than needed.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #235 of 739

I'm currently without a dedicated DAC and just listening from the laptops onboard audio to the GL Mk2. It still sounds surprisingly good, which is what prompted me to sell the Qutest and go with a cheaper DAC + EQ. I also recently order the closed-back Pioneer SE-Monitor5 to try with it. I kind of want to try the Audio Technica AD2000 or AD2000x again (I owned the latter before) just to see how it sounds with the GL Mk2. I may wait, since I have a sneaking suspicion that AT is going to release a successor at CES. It's purely speculation on my part, but they've discontinued the X and are supposed to introduce three new audiophile headphones. The W5000 is well overdue for a refresh as well. Not to get too off topic, I just know the original GLite was often recommended for AT headphones.
The good thing I'm finding out about having the Loki in the mix with the Gilmore Lite Mk2 is that it's not DAC dependent. I've used the DAC in my Hugo 2, DACPortable, and Oppo HA-2SE and EQ the sound to my liking with all of them. I also must add that before I got the Loki I preferred the Hugo 2 and GL Mk2 over the others. Without the Loki in the mix it's very easy to hear the sound of each of the DAC's through the GL Mk2. It's just a testament as to the transparency of the GL Mk2 in my opinion.

I have the Audio-Technica ATH-A2000z's and love them. The only thing I add is some bass and this headphone sounds damn good with the GL Mk2, Loki, and any DAC. The A2000z's are by far my favorite Audio-Technica headphone to date. If Audio-Technica is in a upgrade cycle then I'm curious to the new offerings as well.

Feb 22, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #238 of 739
My Gilmore Lite mk2 arrived today. Very impressed after an hour of listening. Looking forward to more later. Will primarily use this with Mojo/Poly as the source and either an LCD-X / LCD-XC / TH-900.

GLmk2 - 1 (1).jpg GLmk2 - 1.jpg

Feb 22, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #239 of 739
My Gilmore Lite mk2 arrived today. Very impressed after an hour of listening. Looking forward to more later. Will primarily use this with Mojo/Poly as the source and either an LCD-X / LCD-XC / TH-900.

It should work great with those headphones. Add a Loki to clean up the upper mid/lower treble of the the LCD-X and LCD-XC and you will the their sound even more with the Gilmore Lite MkII

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #240 of 739
Picked up a pre-owned Gilmore Lite MK2 for 400 CAD a month back. Loving the transparency it offers and the control it shows with HD650.
Using it with the Line-out of my iFi Nano BL. However, I feel that the iFi is limiting the GL2s potential. Looking at switching over to Khadas tone board which offers a transparent DAC conversion at just $99.
Anyone else tried the Headamp GL2 with Khadas tone board?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back