Gilmore Lite Amp Owners Unite!
Nov 23, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #541 of 739
I received my power supply today, but maybe rethinking opting for the self-install option for the LED after seeing the tiny SMD resistor that needs to be changed out. I can barely see it, let alone solder it. :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #542 of 739
I haven't been able to stop listening to the chain mentioned a few posts back. For those not willing to go back a few pages, it is:

Roon Core [MacBook Pro (2014)] USB -> Bifrost 2 XLR -> HeadAmp GS-X mini RCA pre-amp outs -> GLMk2 -> Verite C (Suede Universe Pads)

And I'm using a Furman PST-8 power conditioner for all my audio gear.

It's incredible how this PSU has really opened up the highs. I'm listening to Nine Inch Nails' The Fragile right now and always kind of dread it because I usually have to turn the volume down a bit after "Somewhat Damaged" as the extreme distortion on the guitar in "The Day the World Went Away" and, honestly, just about every song with guitar on the album. The sound would get almost static-like and become extremely harsh and grating almost immediately.

Listening now, the distorted guitars are as beautifully obnoxious as ever but it doesn't hurt and I can hear details in the distortion. It's insane. There's so much layering and texture going on in there that was previously being lost due to...inferior power I guess? But when I listen straight from the GS-X mini on balanced, high-gain, it's that same harshness. I tested on a few songs and high vs low gain makes no difference through this stack. Unsure how it is without high gain just through the GS-X mini.

Anyway, during the extremely loud chorus of "We're in This Together" I can hear a tambourine for the first time. I knew it was in the verse but had no idea it was being played during the chorus due to the aforementioned hellacious static/harshness. Music is so much clearer and three-dimensional than I can ever remember hearing it. I feel the GLMk2 and the GS-X mini complement each other extremely well, adding up to something I would say is far more than the sum of its parts. The fantastic punchy weight of the GS-X mini's lows are tightened up a bit more, giving a surprising boost in slam. I actually had to do a double-take and see if I was wearing the Atticus given how much slam I'm feeling. The sound is further accentuated by the extremely detailed yet smooth, refined, and open, airy highs of the GLMk2. I can't get over how enveloping the sound is and how amazing the highs sound now. There is no harshness to be found, just detail, detail, detail. I feel like the Verite C are finally shining. I was lukewarm about them, I just could not seem to find a way to enjoy their sound like I felt I should based on the general acclaim they've received. The Atticus are fantastic and have great synergy but for some reason, the VC just weren't clicking.

Well, they've definitely clicked now. They are extremely detailed and have impressive dynamics--something I felt I was on the cusp of with them straight out the GS-X mini but never quite reaching. These headphones and this stack is thoroughly enjoyable. I'm hearing things I honestly do not recall hearing through the SR1a and I'm now very excited to compare this stack to the same but using the Jot R as the amp instead of the GLMk2.

Anyway, the word "explosive" is thrown around a lot but there's no other word to describe how these can be. The quiet part of "The Mark Has Been Made" (which, for any non-NIN fans, is the main song throughout the movie Man on Fire) that starts at about 1:51 that culminates in a percussive blast as the other instruments come back at about 2:07 startled me--even when I was expecting it. My heart rate increased noticeably as I was effectively jump scared by the percussive explosion of sound. Speaking of explosions, snare hits have a sharp but pleasant crack to them that borders on being painful but never crosses that line.

Separation is incredible and easily the best I've heard. This album is dense and complex with so many layers to each song and I feel like I'm really hearing it for the first time--again, even after the SR1a which is mind-blowing in its own way--there is no jumbling or overlap and unlike the SR1a, treble isn't overpowering everything. Everything is distinctly separated and able to be focused on. Stereo imaging is surround-like with sounds really feeling like they moving around me either in front or back. One of my favorite test songs is "Starf*ckers, Inc." due to the slamming main bass synth riff, the loud, angry, distorted guitars, the many vocal tricks and layers, and finally, the full-on assault at the end of the song where somehow Trent fit drums, at least four distinct guitar parts, bass synth, numerous other random synth noises (I count at least four of these that pop in and out throughout the final few minutes), additional programmed percussion, additional programmed high hats, main vocals, and gang vocals. The SR1a handles this passage amazingly and now, finally, so do the Verite C. This was another song section that caused pain and major fatigue due to extremely harsh highs and was always dense and muddled just through the GS-X mini. I knew these parts were there and could find them if I focused (and gritted my teeth) but it's effortless with the GLMk2 in the chain now.

Nine Inch Nails' "The Perfect Drug" is a sonic adventure. There is so much going on in this song as it is and then serious panning manipulation takes it to another level. The second chorus sounds so full and rich. The underlying bass synth following the same chords as the soaring guitars sounds so fat and sinister, especially on the lower chords. The song actually got my heart rate going faster during the drum solo due to the it feeling legitimately frantic.

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #543 of 739
Id never think to chain them together just replace one for another, even hardened commentaries like the Mini's sound, with a custom toroidal transformer. The pre circuit has to be uber clean, cleaning the GL2 power adds the secret sauce on your setup it seems. Hopefuly tonight or tomorrow ill find out myself.
Have you tried any of synergistic research fuses, i dont believe the marketing hype but they did change the tonality...

Thanks for the review... any notes on just the GL2 without the Mini pre with the new PSU.

Good luck
Dave..

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #544 of 739
Nov 25, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #547 of 739
Have you tried any of synergistic research fuses, i dont believe the marketing hype but they did change the tonality...
No, not sure what those are. :-/

Thanks for the review... any notes on just the GL2 without the Mini pre with the new PSU.
So I made a playlist of songs I'm very familiar with and listened with the same chain as my previous post but without the GS-X mini in the chain (and obviously switched to BF2's RCA outs). I had the new PSU hooked up first and was very pleased with what I heard. I originally bought the GLMk2 earlier this year when my GS-X mini's volume pot crapped out on me. It was my only amp so I had to get a backup and I came to really love the GLMk2 in the meantime--but always missing that extra low-end oomph that the mini provides.

With the new PSU, I honestly don't miss the mini much. Bass isn't as tight or powerful but other than that, this amp is extremely impressive. It's very fast and has excellent separation and staging.

After running through the playlist, I hooked up the old PSU and ran through the songs again, noticing quickly that the amp sounded much more claustrophobic and enclosed. Treble got less airy and detailed, and that wonderful smoothness was mostly gone. The amp still sounds great and is technically impressive and enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but the stock PSU is definitely holding it back.

For final confirmation, I hooked the new PSU back up and the difference was much more apparent going from old to new vs. going new to old. The stage is noticeably wider and taller, with much better separation between instruments and layers. 3D positioning is increased and there is definitely a feeling of both side-to-side and front-to-back panning on certain elements (NIN "Closer" and "The Perfect Drug" in particular). Bass is tighter and punchier with greater slam. Treble has this wonderful air and smoothness to help all of those delightful details shine through.

With the new Golden Reference PSU, I could be happy with just the GLMk2 as my only amp. I'd miss certain aspects the GS-X mini excels at and but they're not critical anymore given how much this amp has improved.

For reference, here are the songs I used with a brief explanation for the choice.
  • Nine Inch Nails "Somewhat Damaged" - it's my favorite song and has amazing sequencing, starting with only a single slightly-out-of-tune acoustic guitar and slowly adding more and more layers and rage as the song progresses
  • Nine Inch Nails "Starf*ckers, Inc." - it's a great, fun, fast song with a slamming bass line and TONS of layers
  • Nine Inch Nails "Underneath It All" - second only to "Somewhat Damaged" this is a short but packed song with a ton of programmed percussion and other synthesizers that amount to a wall of extremely detailed, layered sound with a goosebumps-inducing crescendo.
  • Nine Inch Nails "Heresy" - dual bass synth lines and heavily textured percussion set the base for this loud, angry, and very detailed song. There are a ton of layered vocals
  • Nine Inch Nails "Closer" - overplayed to death but still an incredible song. Like the rest: a ton of layers and little details to listen for
  • Nine Inch Nails "Eraser" - lots of weird textures--a broken flute or woodwind instrument being aggressively puffed into forms the basis of the entire song, what sounds like broken kazoos, and there are weird shells being scraped during the only vocals) and the snog has this wonderful slow build before quieting down for the only verse in the song and then explodes into the final act. Tons of dynamics.
  • Nine Inch Nails "The Perfect Drug" - tons of layers and that synth breakdown into the drum solo...
  • The Ghost Inside "Faith or Forgiveness" - heavy, hard-hitting song with a great hook. The entire Fury and the Fallen Ones album is poorly mixed and extremely bright so this was a great test on how highs sound
  • The Ghost Inside "Engine 45" - another heavy, hard-hitting song with a great hook and chugging, heavily-distorted guitars. There's also a bass drop at 1:10 that is perfectly timed with the rest of the music, adding a nice contrast to the sharp snap of the guitar and drums at that exact moment.
  • The Ghost Inside "Test the Limits" - not quite as heavy as the previous two songs but still obviously metalcore. Great guitar work and impressive drumming with another transitional bass drop that changes up the entire feeling of the song for the final half
  • Enter Shikari "The Appeal & The Mindsweep I" - Great, slow build to an epic and extremely textured bass drop that marks the transition to the hard-hitting and potentially ear-splitting main guitar riff
  • Enter Shikari "Elegy for Extinction" - Absolutely beautiful piece performed in conjunction with the city of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra
  • Enter Shikari "Sssnakepit" - RIDICULOUS sub-bass on this song among all of the other electronic details
  • The Dillinger Escape Plan "Prancer" - extremely bright song that was painful to listen to at normal volumes before the Golden Reference

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #548 of 739
@klyrish

Thank you ever so much for the extra thoughts on the PSU and the NIN songs. Been a long time since i listened to them. Spent a lot of the early 1990s in heavy metal clubs and girls with more tattoos than me...

Ect black blue orange range
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/synergistic-research-black-high-end-uk-13a-fuse

Mains fuses people scream snake oil but dont explain why the sound changes. Ignore the marketing bull on quantum cryo but try one on the analogue parts of the system. Try a second hand one from Ebay they have good resale value if the change isn't to your liking. Price is painful but you may be suprised.. a range of internal and external.. google for info.. suprising as i tried only on friends making me try..

Hmm FEDex said 6pm its 7:30 UK... i waited months i suppose....

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #549 of 739
@klyrish

Thank you ever so much for the extra thoughts on the PSU and the NIN songs. Been a long time since i listened to them. Spent a lot of the early 1990s in heavy metal clubs and girls with more tattoos than me...

Ect black blue orange range
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/synergistic-research-black-high-end-uk-13a-fuse

Mains fuses people scream snake oil but dont explain why the sound changes. Ignore the marketing bull on quantum cryo but try one on the analogue parts of the system. Try a second hand one from Ebay they have good resale value if the change isn't to your liking. Price is painful but you may be suprised.. a range of internal and external.. google for info.. suprising as i tried only on friends making me try..

Hmm FEDex said 6pm its 7:30 UK... i waited months i suppose....

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

While I wait for my psu scheduled on 30 Nov 2020, more on girls with more tatoo than you please 😛

Cheers.

Richard

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #550 of 739
image.jpg

Blue is cool, but I’ll take warm amber every day of the week!!!

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #551 of 739
image.jpg

Looking forward to hearing your sound impressions and a comparison to the amp next to it :)

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #552 of 739

Errh .. no 4th colored led of amber for me please 😅

PS: standard red led denafrips Hermes pending customised blue led one from denafrips in Dec 🥳 Cable setup to be opened for display part no. to hopefully find blue or green version to get to 2 color of blue and green

Screenshot_20201126-140459_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20201126-140755_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #553 of 739
Errh .. no 4th colored led of amber for me please 😅

PS: standard red led denafrips Hermes pending customised blue led one from denafrips in Dec 🥳 Cable setup to be opened for display part no. to hopefully find blue or green version to get to 2 color of blue and green

Screenshot_20201126-140459_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20201126-140755_Drive.jpg

Very Impressive setup, and even more impressive in the dark! Now just take care of that TV LED 😉

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #554 of 739
Very Impressive setup, and even more impressive in the dark! Now just take care of that TV LED 😉

Hi ksorota,

Indeed but gave up many ideas to avoid ... it is both living for the family and listening room for me.

I can only push my budget for higher end equipment to compensate for better sound but still with higher WAF since anymore room treatment to current customised diffusers and pictured absorbers behind listening position is also not preferred and this had made a difference.

Having yet another amber leds is to be avoided imho while still working to rid of red ones from local cable setup box while denafrip Hermes ddc with blue leds is otw 😅

Cheers.

Richard

PS: I select only equipment in black for top shelf and silver for others but yes, I am anal on aesthetics and feel good factors in addition to sound quality

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #555 of 739
I did wonder why you painted that large wall black.....🤔..
Bah i don't understand Fedex..
Your package will be delivered Wednesday by 6pm message...Friday i check tracking 'is pending'
23rd In Memphis, it better not be Egypt.....
🛩⚱⚰🏔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back