Gilmore Lite Amp Owners Unite!
Nov 29, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #556 of 739
Having yet another amber leds is to be avoided imho while still working to rid of red ones from local cable setup box while denafrip Hermes ddc with blue leds is otw 😅
Funny - when I get to buy the new PSU for the GLmk2, I will ask Justin for amber LED to match my amp. I prefer amber over white or blue any day! :)

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #558 of 739
Hey Justin,

Received and thanks !

A picture is worth a thousand words 🥳🥳.

Too early to say on improvement to the Gilmore Lite MK2 and hooked up as preamp in place of the usual Audible Illusion L3A and Audio Valve Eclipse on loan to let it run 24/7 for a few days to monitor.

Cheers.

Richard

20201130_183909.jpg

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #559 of 739
Ah so angry with Fedex...sent 3 help me emails and got no reply. Found the UK number last night to see if it wasn't delivered last week because of an import duty needing paying. He said sorry and it should be delivered monday... Then i get an email ..Sorry your package is lost please contact the seller for a refund or replacement.. i emailed HeadAmp again so hopefully when justin reads it he can send me out another and claim from Fedex....

I am a very patient man but the little boy in me is dying to have it and plug it in...

Sad now...☹😱

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #560 of 739
Ah so angry with Fedex...sent 3 help me emails and got no reply. Found the UK number last night to see if it wasn't delivered last week because of an import duty needing paying. He said sorry and it should be delivered monday... Then i get an email ..Sorry your package is lost please contact the seller for a refund or replacement.. i emailed HeadAmp again so hopefully when justin reads it he can send me out another and claim from Fedex....

I am a very patient man but the little boy in me is dying to have it and plug it in...

Sad now...☹😱

Sorry to hear Middy 😔

Hope all work get sorted out soon.

Cheers.

Richard

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #563 of 739
I am surprised there are still no comparisons to the stock Switching PSU...
(both original and later versions of the switching PSU)

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #564 of 739
I am surprised there are still no comparisons to the stock Switching PSU...
(both original and later versions of the switching PSU)
If you read the thread you would've seen my post comparing the new PSU to the old (newer) stock one. It's back one page.

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #565 of 739
If you read the thread you would've seen my post comparing the new PSU to the old (newer) stock one. It's back one page.
I forgot I read your notes couple weeks ago. Thanks for the reminder.
However, you have a GSX-mini in the chain (which I seriously doubt anyone else here does)... So a little hard to tell how much that affects the stock GLmk2 vs. GLmk2 with new reference PSU.

Thanks again, and I would still LOVE to read more opinions and comparisons!

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #566 of 739
I forgot I read your notes couple weeks ago. Thanks for the reminder.
However, you have a GSX-mini in the chain (which I seriously doubt anyone else here does)... So a little hard to tell how much that affects the stock GLmk2 vs. GLmk2 with new reference PSU.

Thanks again, and I would still LOVE to read more opinions and comparisons!
The one I just referenced was with the GS-X mini out of the chain.

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #567 of 739
The one I just referenced was with the GS-X mini out of the chain.
My bad - you have 2 posts in the previous page. I was reading the wrong one... :face_palm:

Dec 12, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #568 of 739
I thought I would share my own thoughts on the Golden Reference Discrete Regulated Power Supply, to give it its full title, so GRPS hereafter.

A separate dedicated power supply for the Gilmore Lite MK2 (GL2) headphone amplifier. This must be rare for amplifiers in the sub $1000 price range. The only one I can think of is the AUNE XPS-1, but that is in a lower SQ league.

The GRPS comes in a black case identical in size to the GL2 and with the same tank-like build quality. It neatly sits on top, or below or side by side if you prefer . The lettering on the front panel matches the latest design of the GL2. There is no on/off switch, so it is designed to be powered up permanently. The top of the unit is perforated with relatively large holes from which a red glow emanates from the components inside when powered up … it looks like it means business but runs just lukewarm to the touch. My unit has a white power light, which doesn’t match the amber one on the GL2 that I have, although I believe that a matching colour light can be specified at the time of ordering. I just forgot to ask, but to me the sound trumps looks.

I detected that it benefits from some settling down … the sound became more refined after a couple of days, or so.

The GL2 with the standard PS is already a worthy performer but the GRPS brings some notable and worthwhile improvements and these (IMO) are not merely small differences. From my notes …

First off, the soundstage … wider and noticeably deeper. Sound-levels are clearly commensurate with where the instruments are on the stage, front to back. This results in a pin-sharp image of of the instruments.

There is an airy ambience that adds to the realism of the sound. The detailing of the instruments is impressive with fine nuances revealed. Even the decay is well detailed … then it goes to complete blackness.

All frequencies are well represented. In particular the detailed low-end is remarkable. One can almost feel the low frequencies, given the right recording … the E string on a double-bass or electric bass is articulate and easy to follow. The B string on a 5-string electric bass is visceral but perhaps not to bass-head levels. Everything is, however, well balanced.

The GRPS finally realises the full potential of the Gilmore Lite Mk2 amplifier. It must be closely approaching the quality of its bigger brother, the GSX-Mini, albeit with just an SE output, which is fine by me.

Full marks !

Music: Jazz, Classic Rock and some Classical.
System: As per my signature for the Main System.

Dec 12, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #569 of 739
@Charente

I didnt know you where a professional audio writer. A great article Charente.😁

This is what i was expecting from this PSU, cleaner deeper wider, headamps design skill especially with power delivery as mentioned with other amps. Uptone used thier supply bricks with meamwell technology and a well designed custom regulation stage from Justin.

I just got my new replacement email from headamp for the one FedEx lost...
Yesss..
So hopefully next week i can add my thoughts for my system..

My rig isn't where i want it but it sounds really good with what i have, as mentioned before this is the last in the chain not to have some form of power upgrade so i am excited to hear the overall effect when it comes..

Is yours an unmodded GLmk2 or a new set of caps fitted?

merci mon ami et joyeux Noël Charente

Thanks all
Dave

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #570 of 739
Merci !

No, not a professional writer ... although I am an amateur musician and know what I'm looking for in reproduction.

No modifications to my GL2 ... I wouldn't know what I was doing ... well above my pay-grade !

Joyeux Noël à vous

Users who are viewing this thread

Back