Getting started with headphones
Sep 7, 2011 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

moodymela

New Head-Fier
So I am somewhat new to audiophile equipment though I have a basic understanding. I was hoping to start purchasing some gear. Currently I am looking at AKG 701s because I have heard nothing but good things. My question is are these the right headphones for me? Also what amp should I buy to drive them. I have seen so much contradictory information on these forums it's rather disconcerting. I've seen people say they must be driven by solid state amps and to avoid tubes like the plague. I've seen others suggest just the opposite. So really I've seen no consensus on what a good amp for these phones are.

Also I am not quite well versed on audio technology. I am plan to use my computer as my source. So do I need a DAC as well to fully enjoy these phones? Do I need a pre amp as well? It's all a bit overwhelming so I really hope I can get some clear cut answers. Thanks.

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 7
Heya,

We don't really know if it's right for you because we don't even know what you listen to, what sound you're looking for, and whether or not you need isolation or if open-air is ok. You know? Lots more information gather. So let's do that. Let's do the Q & A thing so we can figure out a headphone for you.

1. Need isolation (privacy)? Or is open-air ok (leaks sound, you can hear your environment still)?
2. Primary music genres you listen to?
3. Sound signature preference? (Ie, neutral, bass heavy, smooth, energetic, etc)
4. Your music library I hope is in high bit rate (320kbps) or lossless audio, yes? If not, that's priority one.
5. Your soundcard is a DAC. What soundcard do you have? Or is it just an onboard soundcard?
6. Finally, what's your budget, that includes things like an amplifier. What's max budget for all equipment?
7. Welcome to HeadFi, sorry `bout yer wallet.

Very best,

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply.

1. I think I want an open pair for my first pair of cans. I'll plan on getting a closed pair later on but right now open is what I am looking for
2. Right now I listen to a lot of jazz, lounge, and chillout but this is subject to change. My primary genre changes a lot and I also enjoy folk, rock, hip hop, electronic, ambient, and everything in between. So a pair of multi purpose headphones would be best. Here is a link to my last.fm although I have only had it running for a very short period of time. http://www.last.fm/user/moodymela
3. I'm not sure I have a preference. I've listened to pretty cheap speakers all my life. So I don't think for my first pair of high grade headphones I'd be able to appreciate any difference between these textures.
4. My music library consists of mostly V0 with a smattering of 320 and FLAC. Nothing lower.
5. I have an onboard sound card. However I plan to change that. I would like an audiot interface because I would like to record music as well which does the same job as a sound card correct? Though I suppose this is the topic of another thread.
6. I don't have a strict budget. Basically I am looking into the high mid range. No more than 350$ for headphones, no more than 300$ for an amp etc.
7. Thanks :) I hope to learn a lot.

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 7
Shure 940
FiiO E7

Enjoy
Your genres say Grado sound to me
But you want closed
So 940
They don't need much power, so a FiiO E7 would be good
EDIT: If you don't plan to go portable, get a UDAC2. Plugs through you USB without the need for a soundcard. Works as a amp and a DAC

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 7
Heya,

So basically you need a headphone that is capable of good strong bass but also capable of intimate detail. That knocks the anemic phones out of the mix. Maybe something neutral that can do both to an extent would cover you. And you'd like open cans, so that throws all the closed back cans out of the mix too. This narrows it down quite a bit. Your budget, however, allows for quite a large amount of options even after limiting it to that.

My first thought is the Sennheiser HD600 for you. My second thought is a HifiMAN HE-300 instead. My third thought is the BeyerDynamic DT880.

I'm thinking of a Fiio E7 and Fiio E9 DAC/AMP setup first. My second thought was a Maverick TubeMAGIC D1. My third thought was a Matrix Cube DAC.

I'm leaning... towards the HE-300 with a Maverick TubeMAGIC D1 for you. Yes. That sounds about right.

Very best,

Nov 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 7
Okay I'm back with a few more questions.

I plan on getting this audio interface for my computer

http://www.amazon.com/Echo-AudioFire4-FireWire-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KPVV2G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IG84RQC23DTA3&colid=34MHNGAKE4R2

I'm sure this work as a better ADC/DAC than what's on my motherboard but will it also work as an amp for my headphones.

I've decided on either Senn 600 or 650.

So will that interface also work as an amp or should I also get a stand alone amp like a matrix m-stage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back