getting crazy for new hedphones
Nov 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

stetteo

New Head-Fier
ATTENTION: WALL OF TEXT, READ IT AT YOUR OWN RISK :p

Hi guys! I'm new to this forum and new to the world of audiophiles.
Until now I've been using a pair of Koss UR55, they served me pretty well, but one year ago I accidentally cut the wire running for a phone call. I fixed it with my soldering iron but the soldering usually lasts just a few months and every time I fix the wire it gets shorter and shorter.

The point is that I decided to do an upgrade, I have a 150€ budget (I'm writing from Italy).
I listen mostly to classical music (50%) but for what concerns the other half of my listening I like many different genres: Dubstep, DnB, Reggae, progressive house, classic rock.

My sources are CDs, flac files or high bitrate mp3 files, I usually listen to music on my desktop, or netbook with the built in DAC, but I'll probably upgrade that too in the future.
When I listen to music on LP, I use an old Yamaha amp (AX-300).

Reading this huge forum I've read good things about:

1. AKG HD 272: I read they lack bass, which would be an issue with DnB and Dub.
  2. Audio Technica M50: Everybody is talking about them but some people say they are over rated. Are they? I read they have recessed mids, what does that mean? Does it means that only treble and bass are good? Can I fix this issue with an eq?
  3. Beyerdynamic dt 770 (80 ohm version, having no amp). Are they only a bass headphone, I like a warm bass, but I don't want it to overcome every sound, that wouldn't be good at all with classical music.

Do you have any advice for me? Are there better choices for me?

I'm not interested in portability but I'd like a solid construction.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO WHOEVER SURVIVED TILL THE END OF THE POST

Stefano

P.S. I hope I've written in a decent English.

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 12
i have same problem still choosing headphones all these + audio technica a700.
in my country is for best price akg k272hd for 130 eur. i probably go for these. my genres of music are same as you

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 12
Hey Stefano,

Dont worry, here on head-fi thats no wall of text! I think the 770s get looked at as bass headphones for their warm and inviting bass, but I find them great for listening to all genres. Yes they do sound amazing with low end but they impress as all arounders too. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #6 of 12
i have same problem still choosing headphones all these + audio technica a700.
in my country is for best price akg k272hd for 130 eur. i probably go for these. my genres of music are same as you

wednesday i'm gonna try the akg at a local store (maybe), so i'll let you know.

Hey Stefano,
Dont worry, here on head-fi thats no wall of text! I think the 770s get looked at as bass headphones for their warm and inviting bass, but I find them great for listening to all genres. Yes they do sound amazing with low end but they impress as all arounders too. 

Thank you for the advice

Check out the Soundmagic HP200

I've checked them but i see they are open, how is the isolation?

STEFANO!!

What? I don't get it :)

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 12
Ah, didn't read isolation.

Open cans don't isolate, sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back