Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Mar 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #5,236 of 5,506
No, I won't provide reasons, because I don't have the energy to. This is getting ridiculous. I had abandoned this debate some time ago, I only posted again because another user had misunderstood my point. It wasn't an invite to ri-ignite whatever this was. It's not that I don't have arguments, it's that I don't care enough to post them and because they will derail this even further. I can still sleep a night knowing users don't think I'm objective =)
PS: The whiskey thing was a joke, seeing as every single one of my analogies seems to "not work".

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #5,237 of 5,506
Yeah but you still replied.
Why is it okay for you to do so, but not for me?

I won't further 'derail' this in favor of other posters. 

Though trust me that any reasons you have, any arguments you have are not objective by any means. You don't need to lose sleep over not being seen as unobjective, rather accept the fact that you are subjective on this particular matter. 

Also, for the record, my initial post was discussing Kpop groups using Beats in their MVs, and then I provided an example of a well recognized group for illustration.   Your follow up post and questionable comments are actually the antagonist of any derailment. 

Please take more responsibility with your own posts. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #5,242 of 5,506
Reading consumer reviews on the beats site makes me want to regurgitate. It's worse than amazon users, and that's really sad. All about style, less about sound. If the sound has to be in the review, it is only said that it is good quality, after all they know better sound don't they?

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #5,243 of 5,506
I have a BEATS story. Over Christmas, my 15-year-old niece was showing off her new Beats Solos that she was using with her Rezound. She wanted me to listen to them and said they were, "The best on the market". I put em on and acted like I was impressed...just didn't have the heart to tell what I really felt and break the girls' heart. You know, she goes to this fancy college prep school and all the kids "rock" beats like they are the bees knees. People should just accept these for what they are: fashion statements, plasticky, overpriced with a mediocre sound. At least we know better and hopefully can convert a few here and there. Honestly, I don't see the Beats brand going anywhere but up in sales and profits. Won't see me rockin' em though. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #5,244 of 5,506

Quote:
I have a BEATS story. Over Christmas, my 15-year-old niece was showing off her new Beats Solos that she was using with her Rezound. She wanted me to listen to them and said they were, "The best on the market". I put em on and acted like I was impressed...just didn't have the heart to tell what I really felt and break the girls' heart. You know, she goes to this fancy college prep school and all the kids "rock" beats like they are the bees knees. People should just accept these for what they are: fashion statements, plasticky, overpriced with a mediocre sound. At least we know better and hopefully can convert a few here and there. Honestly, I don't see the Beats brand going anywhere but up in sales and profits. Won't see me rockin' em though. 

That's the thing... I think most of us have accepted the fact that they are primarily a fashion based product. Threads like this are mostly focused at correcting the people that believe otherwise. If someone walked up to me and told me that my headphones weren't as cool (in terms of popularity) and was willing to admit that they only bought Beats for the recognition, that's fine with me. At least they aren't deceiving themselves and they're being honest. If someone tries to claim that Beats are a better performing headphone, then I will make a point to at least suggest that there are better options.

That said, I would have probably treated your situation in a similar way. I remember what it was like being younger like that. I probably wouldn't have cared if someone told me there was a better quality headphone. I'd probably be more than happy with my well known, popular product. While there are exceptions, I really doubt that younger kids really care about serious sound quality. When I first got an MP3 player, sound quality wasn't even something I really thought about. Of course, storage limitations were also a concern, so high bit rates just wouldn't work.

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #5,245 of 5,506
Today at the mall, I was at F.Y.E. looking for a pair of cheap IEMs (not for the IEMs, but for the silicon tips. Turns out buying the tips alone costs as much as getting a cheap pair with 3 sizes.) when a guy and his girlfriend walk up to the demo station for the Beats Solos and the Soul SL150s. With a pair of V-80s on my head, I watched as he plugs the Solos into his iPhone, listens for a bit, and then passes it to his girlfriend. He seems a bit unimpressed by them. She has a listen and then takes them off.

Time to move.

I approached them and said, "Those are no good, man. The Ludacris ones sound better." Which is true. They do sound MUCH better than the Solos.
"Oh $h!7!," he says. "I didn't even see those."
He gives them a try and seems a bit more impressed with the sound, although I think the looks didn't grab him as much. After a listen he sets them back down, nods and says, "Hey thanks, man!"

They didn't buy anything but I hope I at least opened his mind, and his ears, to a world of headphones beyond Monster. Danger averted! (I hope)

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #5,246 of 5,506
I wonder if somewhere, in some other forum, there's a thread called "getting lectured for trying the Beats" where people tell stories about how they went into a store, were bored and decided to try some headphones and out of nowhere some guy comes up talking about hot they suck and how he should try something else.

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #5,248 of 5,506

Quote:
I wonder if somewhere, in some other forum, there's a thread called "getting lectured for trying the Beats" where people tell stories about how they went into a store, were bored and decided to try some headphones and out of nowhere some guy comes up talking about hot they suck and how he should try something else.

"HEY DID YOU KNOW YOU COULD FIND A BETTER SOUNDING HEADPHONE FOR LESS MONEY?!??!?!?!"  8O

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #5,249 of 5,506

Quote:

I figure as long as people enjoy them that's good. I've met people short-term who wear them, and I never say anything obviously. However if for whatever reason someone engages in conversation where my headphone choice is questioned ("getting called out for not wearing beats") I will defend my headphone choice tactfully and politely, and I will win.

It's true that this thread sometimes turns from "getting called out for not wearing beats" to "calling out people wearing beats" and that's bad obviously. Discussion about beats in general is inevitable on this thread and I still find that interesting though, even if it sways towards beats-bashing, there is still truth to find in many such arguments (beats are a fashion statement, overprice, etc.)

Sometimes I do wish there was a way not to beats-bash, but enlighten people about other options. That is to say, I think most audiophiles here feel some desire to spread their niche knowledge given that quality headphones are becoming something the general population is turning their attention to. The problem here is this: Beats objectively are pretty bad for the price. Call this beats-bashing if you will, but it's true. The problem is spreading this reality to others tactfully. This endeavor is for the best intentions; give people (who actually are seeking audio quality rather than fashion accessories) a better audio experience, and for less money. The unfortunate part is that this reality to beats-owners is sad (because many of them wasted money, except for those who use them for fashion), and being the bearer of bad news is not encouraged or really appreciated or even trusted (if ignorance is easier than truth, often people will choose ignorance).

Mar 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #5,250 of 5,506

Quote:
About high bitrates, what about the fact that most people can't consistently tell the difference between 320 (or even 256) kbps vs FLAC?

If you're referring to my comment about not being able to use high bit rates, then I wasn't even talking about that high. I think I had a 128 MB SD card with my first MP3 player. A high bit rate for me was 128. I'm pretty sure I was using something like 96.

Is this on topic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back