Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Mar 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #5,221 of 5,506

Quote:

My point wasn't that I didn't like his music, that has next to no meaning in a serious debate. I don't like Whiskey, that means nothing when we're discussing various brands (pretty sure my analogy doesn't work
wink.gif
). My point was I think he objectively sucks, as in, beyond me liking it or not. I can recognize talent in something that doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't like or listen at all to rap, but when I see a good freestyle I can understand the huge effort and dedication required.

Is it just me, or is the Beats crowd receding? I see less and less every day (not that I used to see a lot), and the amount of call-outs seems to diminish as well. Maybe they've had their moment and it's time to move on. I supposed that since they had a 4-month average lifespan and most people in our society don't care enough to use the warranty (just another toy) and so they simply don't use them anymore.

Maybe you're just growing out of the age group

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #5,222 of 5,506
Quote:
ath-m50s anyone?

Oh, the M50 is definitely becoming a monster because of its increasing price. But don't forget about the Monster Beats clones. Soul by Ludacris, SMS by 50 Cent, Ultrafocus by Polk, M40 by Klipsch, and Monster's future headphones. They could still plague the consumer market D=!
This thread will eventually be renamed to, "Getting  'called-out' for not wearing Beats clones."

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #5,223 of 5,506

Quote:
How about mixrs? They're new, and wondered if people have worn them at all over there.

Wow when did sennheiser redesign the HD25's?

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #5,225 of 5,506

Quote:

My point wasn't that I didn't like his music, that has next to no meaning in a serious debate. I don't like Whiskey, that means nothing when we're discussing various brands (pretty sure my analogy doesn't work
wink.gif
). My point was I think he objectively sucks, as in, beyond me liking it or not. I can recognize talent in something that doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't like or listen at all to rap, but when I see a good freestyle I can understand the huge effort and dedication required.

Is it just me, or is the Beats crowd receding? I see less and less every day (not that I used to see a lot), and the amount of call-outs seems to diminish as well. Maybe they've had their moment and it's time to move on. I supposed that since they had a 4-month average lifespan and most people in our society don't care enough to use the warranty (just another toy) and so they simply don't use them anymore.

Yea you lost me with the whiskey analogy. On the other hand with the beats, just like everything that becomes the new hype, it becomes old. Just like how everyone use to wear 59fifty it became ehhh... and now everyone is wearing snapbacks and who knows when that's going to end. I'm just waiting to see what would be the new brand headphone to get all the hype 
popcorn.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #5,226 of 5,506

Quote:
I doubt the guy wearing the beats would ever want to listen to Bobby McFerrin in the first place, so I dont know where youre coming from here...Im sure 9/10 beats owners listen to hip hop/pop primarily.

Thos JB "freestyles" definitely are pre written.  Most of the freestyles on youtube (the studio ones from established artists) are pre-written.  Freestyle doesnt really carry the same meaning anymore 
frown.gif

I see where you're coming from, but the look of disgust on his face was nothing short of insulting, to live in a world where someone would give me a look so horrifyingly judgemental over headphones is just disgusting, either that or I had **** smeared all over my face.

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #5,227 of 5,506

Quote:
I doubt the guy wearing the beats would ever want to listen to Bobby McFerrin in the first place, so I dont know where youre coming from here...Im sure 9/10 beats owners listen to hip hop/pop primarily.

Thos JB "freestyles" definitely are pre written.  Most of the freestyles on youtube (the studio ones from established artists) are pre-written.  Freestyle doesnt really carry the same meaning anymore 
frown.gif

I see where you're coming from, but the look of disgust on his face was nothing short of insulting, to live in a world where someone would give me a look so horrifyingly judgemental over headphones is just disgusting, either that or I had **** smeared all over my face.
I'm not trying to sit on a morale high horse but at the tender age of 19 I still have enough respect for other human beings not to instantly visually scoff at someone for not complying with my headphone choices, yet this 20 something looked like he wanted to punch me, I'm probably generalizing here, maybe this guy was just a ass.

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #5,228 of 5,506
At my college, I see tons of beats... and I asked one of these guys sporting the beats studios if I could hear what they sound like. It was very plain... I mean it's not like they were horrible but for $300... I would not advise this purchase (which is an understatement). 

So I ask the guy... why did you get this brand? Why am I seeing so many of them on campus? He says "People say it's the sound... but really it's the look". I appreciated his honesty. He asked what I thought of his headphones. I said, "they sound like... headphones" and he replied "yeah" in a way that sounded like "I know they're nothing special but I like the look".

Anyway I didn't feel like crushing this guy for buying the brand. He was a super nice guy who brought a brand for a look and I think we've all done that. I know when I was a kid I bought Nikes just because some kids thought they were cool or whatever. That's all this beats craze is about. And it will fade... as previous posters have pointed out... maybe it's already fading. I'm noticing more Grados... I'm even happy to see brands like Sony and Panasonic just because they have such a better price/performance ratio compared to beats... gives me hope that people actually care about sound.

Anyway sorry for the rant.

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #5,229 of 5,506

Quote:
At my college, I see tons of beats... and I asked one of these guys sporting the beats studios if I could hear what they sound like. It was very plain... I mean it's not like they were horrible but for $300... I would not advise this purchase (which is an understatement). 

So I ask the guy... why did you get this brand? Why am I seeing so many of them on campus? He says "People say it's the sound... but really it's the look". I appreciated his honesty. He asked what I thought of his headphones. I said, "they sound like... headphones" and he replied "yeah" in a way that sounded like "I know they're nothing special but I like the look".

Anyway I didn't feel like crushing this guy for buying the brand. He was a super nice guy who brought a brand for a look and I think we've all done that. I know when I was a kid I bought Nikes just because some kids thought they were cool or whatever. That's all this beats craze is about. And it will fade... as previous posters have pointed out... maybe it's already fading. I'm noticing more Grados... I'm even happy to see brands like Sony and Panasonic just because they have such a better price/performance ratio compared to beats... gives me hope that people actually care about sound.

Anyway sorry for the rant.

Very intriguing to see people's reactions "why" they bought...

-v

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #5,234 of 5,506

wink.gif

Yea, sorry there Lizard K. You lost me with the Whisky analogy.. Perhaps you can elaborate
blink.gif

Now, could you also elaborate on how do you deduce that J.B. objectively sucks?  Because I gotta tell ya, if it's solely based on his songs lyrics, or namely the cheesier ones, then you really have very little to go on here. To be honest, we're not even sure which tracks he wrote and which he did not.  But please remember that 'sucks' in that context is still subjective. You may not like it and feel that it is very cheesy, hokey, tacky and shallow. And the truth is that with that type of Pop, the lyrics, musics, melody and pretty much the entire production involved tends to be more simplistic, and it is done so to generate easy and fun listening that will appeal to masses. And in this case, masses of 8-18 year old screaming girls. So according to your testiment here, to them J.B. is great objectively as he sucks objectively according to you.   But realisitcally here, this is not objective view, rather biased. 

The actual facts about J.B. are fairly known and could be easily affirmed, he has good vocal talent and range. He has massive appeal, and excels at what he does and in the industry he's involved with; regardless of the reasons (looks and such). Simply because by the context of the nature of this particular pop, this is a vital ingridient for a successful recipe.

Unless you can actually provide valid reasons why he is objectively bad/horrible at what he does, your opinion cannot be taken objectively.

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #5,235 of 5,506
As for the Mixrs..

Haven't they been rated as somewhere in between the Solos and Studios performance?

At $200 + retail....  Meh... No dice.  If the sound is such, then at least they should compensate with comfort. But apparently that isn't so either.  The daisy chain borrowed from pros is a nice touch, and the whole look is very similar ...  But to me, they're basically a poorman's Pros.

I really wish the Pros were $200 or so. I would definitely consider them as a potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back