Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Mar 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #4,997 of 5,506
Wow this thread has been an interesting read. I knew Beats where up there and have had solid marketing run on them, but didn't know the hype is so crazy.
Thankfully at least here in Finland easily the most known high end headphone brand is Sennheiser. On the Finnish hifi forums beats don't either get mentioned at all.

It could be that because of the Nokia and Monster deal i will start seeing people carry baby blue headphones with their Nokia Lumia's in here, haven't happened yet thankfully.

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #4,998 of 5,506
I need to move to Finland.

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #4,999 of 5,506
Funny enough there's someone my calculus class who constantly goes on about how great Beats are, despite not owning them. While a friend of mine (to his chagrin and my laughing) quickly shoots down everything he puts up for Beats. I believe he's got a set of ATH WS55 and SR60i's now.

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #5,000 of 5,506

Quote:
Wow, so much confusion. Off and on topic as usual.

I stated that I saw 2NE1 using Studios in one of their MV's. And I described 2NE1 as one of Korea's many Kpop groups (well second ranking after SNSD, yes the girls on Letterman), using an example of the one in the video (most recent buzz on U.S. soil)  But, I never seen Girls Generation (So Nyuh Shi Dae - S.N.S.D) use them.  Sorry Lizard King, you're a bit confused here.

Not that I'm a raving fan (although they are my favorite Kpop girl group), I'm a bit mystified by the 80% not being real vocals remark? 

Granted, SM (the company and label owner) and SNSD utilize heavy does of commercial BS, pizzaz, tricks, props, marketing and other known forms, the girls' voices are quite genuine, and it's fairly evident in that clip since it was a live remix version to boot (sang in English as opposed to its native origin, Korean). If anything, they're one of few bands out there that sound actually better live than recorded. Notwithstanding for Kpop being what it is on a natural from (very commercial and mass produced appeal), they're not really denying any of it. With particularly to groups like SNSD, Kara, F(x), Secret and T-ara (which have some extremely cheesy sounding and looking tracks and MVs), those groups and their corporations backing them (or producing them) are aware of it, and are proud of it, which is a good thing. It's the nature of the industry.

As described, that Gee song (their signature track), while being overly cutesy, colorful, boper-like and extremely cheesy, it still managed to be the #1 chart topped song for 9 straight weeks upon its release.

Taste-wise aside here, it does take talent to make this happen.

Please note: This is how good commercial cheese supposed to look and sound like ..

-Special note, powerhouse singer, girl on far left (orange coat, with a ponytail - been argued to have one of the strongest voices in the business in Korea).
wink_face.gif

where did you find this?

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #5,004 of 5,506

Quote:
Wow that was bad. It's that whole stereotype against pop in one video: everyone's pretty, the voices are 80% computer and 20% human, synchronized dancing, repetitive noises (aka lyrics) about boys, sex, party, love. I think my gf listens to this kind of thing, sadly through her NE-700x.  
I admit I went fastforward, but I didn't see any Beats.

Lizard King, did you not state the above? 

Not really sure why you'd say I quoted the wrong person. I did however address two different issues in that post, one was by a comment you made (above), and another by a different poster.

Trust me, I'm not promoting or selling K-Pop, I like what I like, and so do you.  And I'm not trying to start a giant argument or such, but IMO, certain objectivity and understanding of the context and nature of the beast itself needs to be addressed before making comments or statements, like 80% of the voices are computer and 20% are human.  Whether this is worthy of a discussion on this thread or not is another argument, the previous statement needs to be founded a bit better than something that could only be seen as a biased opinion.  The Synced dancing routine is part of the gimmick, with this particular group, it's one of the main focal points. There's a reason why they're the most recognized and influential Kpop group in Korea right now. There's actually nothing new in what they do or actually sing, it's rather more of how they do it that sets them apart. Also, saying repetitive noises and then putting lyrics in brackets is a tad harsh (although I am defending Cheesy Kpop here) and is a Well-Poisoning argument technique.  It's no different than a person arguing with me about his dislike to Electronic music and calling it fake music with a bunch of noises and laser sounds. I can definitely see where that stigma rises from, but in actuality, we both know very well that this is far from the truth.

As for the Justin Bieber example :  Well, what can I say, I personally don't like his music at all. No appeal to me as a man when its obvious demographic is pre-teen and teenage girls. As for him being a chart topper, it's for 2-3 reasons. Marketing, Endorsements from known Hip-Hop and Rap artists, and Talent.  The last reason should be taken into consideration with this particular point of my post.  Why?  Simply this: Just because you don't like his music or how he rose to popularity or for whatever reasons... It doesn't mean he lacks talent.  As I said, objectivity and giving credit where credit is due.  He actually has a good range of vocals, and actually CAN sing. 

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but IMO, just because we find certain music and certain artists to be the products or producers of cheesy pop music, and/or don't like it, it doesn't mean that they're not actually talented. 

Can anyone here actually claim that Lady Gaga has no talent, or that her voice is 80% computer and 20% human? 

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #5,005 of 5,506
I went into this Office Max by my school the other day and to my surprise they had a little Audio Technica display set up, with their "noise canceling" phones for you to try. Not too shabby and better than Beats IMO. With the return of the Champions League expect to see more Beats in lots of colors with the players
gs1000.gif

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #5,006 of 5,506

Quote:

Not really sure why you'd say I quoted the wrong person. I did however address two different issues in that post, one was by a comment you made (above), and another by a different poster.

Trust me, I'm not promoting or selling K-Pop, I like what I like, and so do you.  And I'm not trying to start a giant argument or such, but IMO, certain objectivity and understanding of the context and nature of the beast itself needs to be addressed before making comments or statements, like 80% of the voices are computer and 20% are human.  Whether this is worthy of a discussion on this thread or not is another argument, the previous statement needs to be founded a bit better than something that could only be seen as a biased opinion.  The Synced dancing routine is part of the gimmick, with this particular group, it's one of the main focal points. There's a reason why they're the most recognized and influential Kpop group in Korea right now. There's actually nothing new in what they do or actually sing, it's rather more of how they do it that sets them apart. Also, saying repetitive noises and then putting lyrics in brackets is a tad harsh (although I am defending Cheesy Kpop here) and is a Well-Poisoning argument technique.  It's no different than a person arguing with me about his dislike to Electronic music and calling it fake music with a bunch of noises and laser sounds. I can definitely see where that stigma rises from, but in actuality, we both know very well that this is far from the truth.

As for the Justin Bieber example :  Well, what can I say, I personally don't like his music at all. No appeal to me as a man when its obvious demographic is pre-teen and teenage girls. As for him being a chart topper, it's for 2-3 reasons. Marketing, Endorsements from known Hip-Hop and Rap artists, and Talent.  The last reason should be taken into consideration with this particular point of my post.  Why?  Simply this: Just because you don't like his music or how he rose to popularity or for whatever reasons... It doesn't mean he lacks talent.  As I said, objectivity and giving credit where credit is due.  He actually has a good range of vocals, and actually CAN sing. 

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but IMO, just because we find certain music and certain artists to be the products or producers of cheesy pop music, and/or don't like it, it doesn't mean that they're not actually talented. 

Can anyone here actually claim that Lady Gaga has no talent, or that her voice is 80% computer and 20% human? 

Lady gaga did that lady is a tramp with tony danza shes nearly/as good as tangoo

Quote:
I went into this Office Max by my school the other day and to my surprise they had a little Audio Technica display set up, with their "noise canceling" phones for you to try. Not too shabby and better than Beats IMO. With the return of the Champions League expect to see more Beats in lots of colors with the players
gs1000.gif

did you get to try the anc9s?

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #5,007 of 5,506
Good point with the electronic music. But my point remains: topping the charts has nothing to do with talent. When an artist wins all those awards for a music revolving around the word "Baby" I can't call it talent.

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #5,008 of 5,506

Quote:
Good point with the electronic music. But my point remains: topping the charts has nothing to do with talent. When an artist wins all those awards for a music revolving around the word "Baby" I can't call it talent.

I don't think you can argue that in a General sense. For some, it's talent plus other factors, for others, popularity and endorsements+looks and appeal.  It varies from artist to artist.  To say that topping the charts has nothing to do with talent is a bit too broad IMO. Though I won't argue that topping the charts automatically means the extreme talent that is praised over the artist. That's no less than me claiming a movie to be a well made piece of work due to its grossing, like Twilight for example.

Just saying.

As for the song Baby Baby...  well... Meh... I can't stand it to be honest... 
Personally, as a song, I think it sucks. But as an Artist, he does the best he can with it, and it definitely does not detract from his vocal talent...
Perhaps music writing and choice of songs... that I will definitely agree on
L3000.gif

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #5,009 of 5,506

Quote:

Quote:

You both realize you're arguing in circles about an old complaint in the music industry right? The music and bands mentioned in the last few posts I won't lie do not interest me musically. I do admit the young women in Girls Generation are rather cute looking and makes me wish I was 20 again but that's as much as they interest me. I really don't judge when it comes to music because I can wager if I was to throw up some links to bands like Quo Vadis or Sepultura enough people on this thread would be quickly hitting the X icon and mumbling the words sounds like garbage. We like what we like it shouldn't be anyone's business but our own. As far as talent is concerned in the music industry to get to the top you not only need talent but you need marketability. That means if you have a certain look that can be used as a marketing tool it becomes that much easier to get a music contract. If Bieber was a pimply 250 LBS kid who loved chocolate bars and KFC and had bad hair he would not be where he is today. If Girls Generation was comprised of greasy haired average figured women with buck teeth they wouldn't be noticed no matter how great their voices or dancing skills were. That's the problem in the music industry and especially in the pop music genre. Unless you have that marketable look that sells to the masses you won't get anywhere no matter how talented you are. It's a shame because I'm sure there's tons of very talented women who can sing better then most of the pop stars out there right now but they won't go anywhere because they're not body beautiful. I'm sure there's tons of young aspiring male musicians who can lay down a mix or play a guitar well enough to put most so called music stars to shame but they go unnoticed because they look like a gangly skeleton with a huge adams apple. Sex sells guys and appearance is everything that's the problem with the music industry right now. This Beats phenomenon everyone on here is discussing is a symptom of the disease. Everybody wants to be a part of the in crowd and wants to be seen as one of the beautiful people. The beautiful people in the world right now are running around wearing Beats as a fashion accessory and the wannabe's are all following suit. Think about it.

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #5,010 of 5,506

Quote:
I hear some of the absolute WORST combacks at my school all the time. Some of my favorites include "What headphones do LMAO wear in their videos? Beats, because they're the best." or "You obviously don't know **** about sound quality, the guy at Best Buy told me Beats are the the best." But most of the time, they turn their headphones up and go "I CANT HEAR YOU, NOISE CANCELING."

lol, did you tell him the guy at BB probably goes to your school and works there for minimum wage.

Quote:
I find it amazing how people think their beats are so great but when i'm at the gym i often see people use their beats headphones/earphones(i refuse to call them iems) when sweat drips all over their heads. I would NEVER bring my iems or headphones i value to a gym....especially if it cost $200+.

+1, i also took my portapros on the go this past week for the lulz, idk how some people can take open cans on the go. (Isolation and annoying other people)

Quote:
Now this was nice to see:

Saw a pretty hot girl with some HD-25's in the tube, and ironically just next to her was a guy that "thought he was cool" with some dr. beats which were CLEARLY fake as they had a lightning type pattern on them
*fake palm*

OMG In Paris? BRB gonna look for my soulmate
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back