Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Feb 9, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #4,576 of 5,506
Apparently there's some kind of underground, audiophile society at my school. My lab partner, Huanliang, is an audiophile, and multiple people in the engineering classes that I'm taking have a sizable amount of kit. I was quite shocked to learn that out, especially involving so many people. 

Truth be told, I really shouldn't have been. Most engineers aren't dumb enough to be duped by Beats marketing 
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #4,577 of 5,506
That's true actually, I don't think I've seen a single engineer here wearing Beats, despite Beats around here being 90% of the population of headphone-wearers.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #4,578 of 5,506

Quote:
Most engineers aren't hip enough to know what's cool. 
wink.gif

^ Fixed 
biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, I'd imagine it's less a matter of intelligence and more a matter of personal interests that happen to be somewhat connected to a field of study. I'd expect more science and math based majors to be interested in technology. I'm guessing more CS majors have over the tops gaming rigs than English majors, by percentage. 

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #4,580 of 5,506
"dre if you need me on detox"

Dear Dr. Dre,

Please no.

Best,

And lol at "i think the colour represents me best" oh so purple? Good going. No, not at all feminine in any way...

But you know what really grinds my gears - the video editing.
God damn, turn down the music in the background, so you can hear the guy speaking better...how many times I've said and heard this is uncountable.

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #4,581 of 5,506
That is, if Detox EVER drops.  

Ill admit, I really do respect Dre for his production..He is pretty damn talented.  He isnt exactly the best rapper in my opinion in any way, but hes had some good tracks.  I just hate this whole Beats endeavour and the brain washing that has come from it.  He obviously does not use his headphones in the studio, but he makes it seem as though he does 

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #4,582 of 5,506

Quote:
That is, if Detox EVER drops.  

Ill admit, I really do respect Dre for his production..He is pretty damn talented.  He isnt exactly the best rapper in my opinion in any way, but hes had some good tracks.  I just hate this whole Beats endeavour and the brain washing that has come from it.  He obviously does not use his headphones in the studio, but he makes it seem as though he does 

oh no - he is a good rapper though - I really like his music, its like the old school stuff, straight to the heart, none of this wiz kaliffa stuff...where he only talks about 3 subjects (women, smoking, drinking)
I do like Wiz's music, but its nothing in comparison to Dre's

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #4,584 of 5,506

Quote:

Ill apologize in advance..

Spider-Man Beats...
We all know that Spider-Man would probably rock IEMs beneath the mask. Or maybe some clip-ons reinforced with some webbing. Or, better yet a pair of Crossfade M-80s so he isn't completely oblivious to the world around him. Plus, having headphones that can survive 70+ 6-foot concrete drops (or 1+ 420-foot concrete drop) would be much more useful to a high-flying web-slinger than Bieber endorsed red and blue Beats.

Yes, I'm calling out Spider-Man for letting Justin Bieber wear his Beats. Where is your pride, Parker?

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #4,585 of 5,506

Students being the key word. Then again, if they stick with it and keep he Beats the production quality of modern music might be worse than it already is. :D

Quote:

Amazing. I see some here... Not many let's say, though engineering students are a totally different story.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #4,586 of 5,506
I'm a software engineering student and I think I've only seen one person in my department wearing them.  However, when I have to go to the communications buildings for general classes then I see quite a few of them.  They aren't overwhelming by any means, most people just seem to have earbuds, but I've see anywhere between 3 to 5 pairs on a daily basis.

Although there is one person in my department who wears his HD555s on a regular basis.  And I've brought my A700s a couple days, and it got a few of my peers very interested, one who purchased a pair I believe.  And my old pair has been sold to my room mate.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #4,587 of 5,506
I was assuming audio engineering rather than Engineering as a whole. We have a pretty nice Art Institute down here that a few of my friends go to for Graphic Design and they run rampent there among Audio students.

Quote:
I'm a software engineering student and I think I've only seen one person in my department wearing them.  However, when I have to go to the communications buildings for general classes then I see quite a few of them.  They aren't overwhelming by any means, most people just seem to have earbuds, but I've see anywhere between 3 to 5 pairs on a daily basis.

Although there is one person in my department who wears his HD555s on a regular basis.  And I've brought my A700s a couple days, and it got a few of my peers very interested, one who purchased a pair I believe.  And my old pair has been sold to my room mate.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #4,588 of 5,506
I was just reading the AudioStream Newsletter and this quote from Neil Young brought a chuckle:

"Bose and Beats...are all about the back end of the donkey."

The other quotes they pointed out from the interview were:

"Piracy is the new radio."
"When Steve Jobs went home, he listened to vinyl."

http://allthingsd.com/20120131/neil-youngs-music-rescue-mission-video/

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #4,590 of 5,506
A few months ago in one of my classes this one guy just asked me why I had so many headphones (which is tiny compared to a large portion of members of Head-Fi) and not just get Beats? (He has a pair of Solos).  I just responded with that each of the headphones  has its own unique sound signature and the reason I do not have "Beats" is because I can get far better audio equipment for less.  So I let him listen to the M50S' that I had on me at the time and he listened and just gave me a glare like he knew he wasted his money.  From then on he has called me "Mr. Audiophile" whenever he sees me around campus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back