Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Feb 5, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #4,441 of 5,506

Quote:
"Some of our competitors are cheap engineers who have never been to a recording studio. You can't just stick someone's name on a headphone that doesn't know anything about sound." 

I sure hope he gets paid a lot to say these things. 

He only said "Some" though... so it could be a few that you already have in mind...

Feb 5, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #4,442 of 5,506

Quote:
That video definitely does have loud bass though... I had no idea my HD800s could do sub-bass this loud (I don't even have the volume very high...) It actually gave me a headache and makes my eyes blur a little on the deeper tone parts O.o

I'm surprised the bass sounded as clean as it was at 240p (except the stuff bordering 20hz which was distorted due to compression).

You'd be surprsied how lower bitrate media would actually appear to be bass heavier. This, I kid you not. 

Mind you, I've tested this with my $100 Shure SRH440 (which do fit on my head
wink_face.gif
) on the PC, Laptop, Iphone and my home surround system and even a car sound system.  I sampled the same songs with a youtube version of it vs a 320mp3s vs Lossless Flac.  While it's less noticeable in acoustics and classic material, in pop, Hip Hop and Trance/Dance (I don't want to get into the EDM discussion here) it's quite obvious. And what was surprising is that the lower the quality was, the bassier the sound signature was... I wonder if someone could do a correlation study on this matter and see what that is. I was surprised Especially with Full On Trance.. while the highest mp3 sounded fairly good, it was bassier than the Flac version of it. However, it didn't sound better, just somehow more forward and punchy/boomy.  With Flac I definitely could hear the brilliance of the sound/track design of the artist while it wasn't so noticeable on the mp3 version of it, despite being bassier and slightly louder as-well.  

That said... once you hear that Electronic sound in lossless form... it's hard to go back.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #4,443 of 5,506

Quote:

What really annoys is when they say things like "With Beats technology already on Hewlett-Packard laptops and PCs"... I mean it's just ridiculous how the whole world thinks Beats are some super-duper magic wonderfulness. "Beats Technology" in laptops???? That is so stupid. In what way does a (probably poorly implemented) bass boost software qualify as being given its own name as though it was unique and groundbreaking: "Beats Technology" ARrgh, that is just insulting to those who actually DO invent their own patented technology etc (Sennheiser, etc.)

Also yeah the comment about Beats competitors being made be engineers who've never been to a studio slapping a name on their brand is so ironic, I have to imagine he said that knowing full well that A) he would stir up people who know better and B) he would get away with it without the slightest question because he doesn't have to deal with people who actually know about high quality audio.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #4,444 of 5,506
BEATS IS NOW A 1 BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY???...WOW!!!
Dre has made more $ Money$ on these Headphones than all His music put together.
(Dude gotta be Kickin back like a Mug)
Kids buyin up these Cans like Hotcakes Man...DANG!
And now the Technology gonna be in yer Ride too)
MARKETING...Dats where its at.
wink_face.gif

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #4,445 of 5,506

Quote:
BEATS IS NOW A 1 BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY???...WOW!!!
Dre has made more $ Money$ on these Headphones than all His music put together.
(Dude gotta be Kickin back like a Mug)
Kids buyin up these Cans like Hotcakes Man...DANG!
And now the Technology gonna be in yer Ride too)
MARKETING...Dats where its at.
wink_face.gif

No no no, beats only have half a billion. The whole billion was the entire headphone market.

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #4,448 of 5,506
On the bright side Apple has NIH syndrome (aversion to using technology Not Invented Here unless they have literally no choice [like ethernet / other network protocols]) so they probably would never add gimmicky stuff from companies like Beats to their products.

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #4,449 of 5,506
I just now read some of the things in this thread. I have a friend who bought the crappy Beats. He asked me the same thing until he listened to mine and he wants his money back.

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #4,450 of 5,506
Not all..
In fact, Samsung has a contract with JAYS. It'll include JAYS earphones / headphones in some of their phones. However, currently it is only available in Korea.

Quote:
Thanks posam for the correction.
smile.gif

I even heard that the beats Technology will soon be going into Android Phones for Verizon.

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #4,451 of 5,506
Well I don't know if you guys know it by now, but the Beats Mixr headphones are out and they claim:

Quote:
Now professional DJs and demanding audio enthusiasts have headphones worthy of respect.

I'm skeptical, but maybe the Mixr's will actually perform reasonably well for the $250 price tag. What do you guys think? I've seen some early reviews saying they're far better than the Studios, slightly worse than the Pro's, but who knows.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #4,452 of 5,506
I am completely open to a Beats model that actually sounds good for the price. I am skeptical that it will happen, BUT it is an interesting possibility. Think about it, Beats already controls HALF the entire headphone market. They have plenty of money and plenty of market appeal, so at this point I think the cost overhead of endorsement and marketing might be a bit less now that they have such a strong foothold in the market. Now, I'd bet they're much more free financially to research and produce really high quality sound for the price. Unlikely, but possible perhaps.

As for their marketing line "Now professional DJs and demanding audio enthusiasts ....", take that with 0% confidence, as you should of all marketing speak. This is even true of Shure's marketing text for their headphones. Absolutely ZERO correlation to how the headphone actually sounds. It's purely to get uninformed buyers to buy them, NOT to inform.

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #4,453 of 5,506
Personally I can't trust a headphone company when I cant find technical information about them anywhere.
This is taken form Technical Details section from Amazon:

"The music you hear in your headphones should sound as good as it did when the artist recorded it. But normal headphones can't deliver the rich, full sound in today's digital audio tracks. The man who knows: Grammy Award-winning artist, producer and sonic perfectionist Dr. Dre. In search of a headphone that truly reveals what's in the mix, Dre joined forces with the audio experts at Monster. Together, they've built a headphone for the ultimate high definition listening experience - for sound so r"

And then MDR-W08L which sells for 2$
Product Features

1. Open-air, dynamic headphones which fit comfortably in the ear
  2. 13.5mm diameter for small size and sound quality
  3. Nickel-plated mini-plug is L-shaped
  4. Slim headband to keep headphones snug
  5. 3.3-foot cord (1 meter) for ease of movement

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #4,454 of 5,506

Quote:
Personally I can't trust a headphone company when I cant find technical information about them anywhere.
This is taken form Technical Details section from Amazon:

"The music you hear in your headphones should sound as good as it did when the artist recorded it. But normal headphones can't deliver the rich, full sound in today's digital audio tracks. The man who knows: Grammy Award-winning artist, producer and sonic perfectionist Dr. Dre. In search of a headphone that truly reveals what's in the mix, Dre joined forces with the audio experts at Monster. Together, they've built a headphone for the ultimate high definition listening experience - for sound so r"

And then MDR-W08L which sells for 2$
Product Features

1. Open-air, dynamic headphones which fit comfortably in the ear
  2. 13.5mm diameter for small size and sound quality
  3. Nickel-plated mini-plug is L-shaped
  4. Slim headband to keep headphones snug
  5. 3.3-foot cord (1 meter) for ease of movement

Haha amazing. Mr Iovine and Dre seem so full of contradictions that at certain points I wonder if they're not just audio trolls. Like that comment he made, it almost seemed directed at Head-Fi. Anyway, I doubt the Mixr will sound any good. I'll wait for a decent review, maybe from Tyll or someone on this forum, but I don't care how much Amazon boasts of "clean deep bass". When it comes to controversial rapper headphones, a frequency response graph tells me more than 2 pages of poetic descriptions.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #4,455 of 5,506

Quote:
I am completely open to a Beats model that actually sounds good for the price. I am skeptical that it will happen, BUT it is an interesting possibility. Think about it, Beats already controls HALF the entire headphone market. They have plenty of money and plenty of market appeal, so at this point I think the cost overhead of endorsement and marketing might be a bit less now that they have such a strong foothold in the market. Now, I'd bet they're much more free financially to research and produce really high quality sound for the price. Unlikely, but possible perhaps.

As for their marketing line "Now professional DJs and demanding audio enthusiasts ....", take that with 0% confidence, as you should of all marketing speak. This is even true of Shure's marketing text for their headphones. Absolutely ZERO correlation to how the headphone actually sounds. It's purely to get uninformed buyers to buy them, NOT to inform.

That's true. But the fact that they might be targeting audiophiles...or that's how I interpreted "audio enthusiasts," is an interesting move. Lightweight-aluminum construction, removable cables that can go in either earcup, replaceable earpads, and featuring an earcup swivel design similar to the HD25's sounds pretty feature-heavy for a headphone. I'll wait to see what Tyll has to say if he gets a pair to test.

Maybe the M80's of the Beats will finally surface. After all, many users here used to bash V-Moda-'s earlier products, look at the progress they've made with the M80's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back