Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Feb 2, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #4,366 of 5,506

Quote:
You really need patience to endure that thread. It's just so annoying when someone comes along and tells you you're a hater because you can't afford them. It's always fun when Ishcabible posts at those moments =) I also lol'ed at the suggestion that you might get banned for offering free advice.

This is going to sound absolutely terrible, but helping out in that thread has given me the patience to keep me from flaming my...let's say fundamentally incorrect...theology teacher when he brings up incorrect political information such as a certain bill (you can probably deduce it, we're not allowed to talk politics here though and bringing it up plainly will surely incite such talk). I lost my composure one day and actually printed the relevant parts of the bill and highlighted whatever refuted what he said. But I digress. The people there are mostly around my age (teens) so we can't really fault them for falling prey to the marketing since a lot of people my age believe everything they see on TV. Although I don't like the idea that giving contrary opinions is instantly wrong. I've been seeing this more and more, and if we keep on going like that, my generation's kind of screwed...

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #4,367 of 5,506
It's hard to say anymore but something that usually separates 'real' Dubstep from the rest is a strong emphasis on Sub Bass rather than Mid Bass. Stuff that DROPS REALLY HARD but has no rumble afterwards is generally looked down upon. 

Skream and Burial are 2 names I hear a lot when people talk about 'real' Dubstep. 

EDIT: I've gotten past worrying about how 'proper' it is and just listen to what I like. If it doesn't have enough Sub Bass to satisfy there's no way I'll like it though.

Quote:
(quoted weirdly)
Never really listened to Dubstep...what is considered the 'purist' stuff? 

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #4,368 of 5,506

Quote:
It's hard to say anymore but something that usually separates 'real' Dubstep from the rest is a strong emphasis on Sub Bass rather than Mid Bass. Stuff that DROPS REALLY HARD but has no rumble afterwards is generally looked down upon. 

Skream and Burial are 2 names I hear a lot when people talk about 'real' Dubstep. 

EDIT: I've gotten past worrying about how 'proper' it is and just listen to what I like. If it doesn't have enough Sub Bass to satisfy there's no way I'll like it though.

Thanks, I've never really listened to any of it so I thought I'd give it a try.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #4,371 of 5,506

Quote:
Thanks, I've never really listened to any of it so I thought I'd give it a try.

Check out:
Phaeleh (one of my personal favorites)
Benga
Skream 
Biome
Kryptic Minds (another fav)
Icicle
Sleeper
Kromestar
Digital Mystiks (DMZ)

There are so many elitists out there that bash all types of "dubstep" not in this style.  As morbidtoaster said, I just learned to listen to what sounds good to me personally.  I love my OG type UK dubstep full of sub-bass,  but I also like a lot of the new US "filth" style dubstep.  People need to learn to get over the technicalities sometimes and just enjoy the music

Apologize for the off topic post.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #4,372 of 5,506
Quote:
More interesting stuff from The Tech Game! Arguing with people about Beats is a daily thing now, but it doesn't get old. Here are some of the latest wise words from Beats owners.

http://www.thetechgame.com/Forums/t=3091629/new-beats-by-dre-mixr.html

In this thread, observe the typical Beats fanboy in his natural habitat. Suddenly, along come the vicious Head-Fi'ers to challenge him on his own turf! An epic fight to the death ensues, but after a thrashing, he's still got some left and comes back for more!

http://www.thetechgame.com/Forums/t=3096691/for-root-beer.html
This does not end well for the now-battered fanboy. Will he mount a counter-attack? Will he again try to debunk the truth? Tune in next week! 
popcorn.gif

Sorry for the commentary, but I just couldn't resist. Here's another one.

http://www.thetechgame.com/Forums/t=2070772/buying-headphones-get-advice-here/start=1470.html

That's one brave hero you are! If one thing I hate about current generation kids is that they're shallow and obnoxious.

Though I notice lately that the number of Beats wearers have decreased in my area. Not to say that there are little of them, but its as if half the Beats got replaced by different colour urbanears. At least cost/value is better. Still shows that people these days buying headphones still do it for the name, fame, and fashion. In fact a friend of mine told me she bought hers (urbanear) cause it was red. and cute (????)

While I still slightly grimace at the sight of Beats, my way of turning into apathy mode is knowing that they don't listen to music but simply to beats. In other words the sudden thump in sound pressure level in a semi-orderly fashion.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #4,373 of 5,506

Quote:
That's one brave hero you are! If one thing I hate about current generation kids is that they're shallow and obnoxious.

Stereotyping is fun. Apparently ALL adults are ignorant. 

see what I did there.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #4,374 of 5,506

Quote:

Though I notice lately that the number of Beats wearers have decreased in my area. Not to say that there are little of them, but its as if half the Beats got replaced by different colour urbanears. At least cost/value is better. Still shows that people these days buying headphones still do it for the name, fame, and fashion. In fact a friend of mine told me she bought hers (urbanear) cause it was red. and cute (????)

While I still slightly grimace at the sight of Beats, my way of turning into apathy mode is knowing that they don't listen to music but simply to beats. In other words the sudden thump in sound pressure level in a semi-orderly fashion.

I'll bet that's because they broke and are too expensive for their not-so-high-income parents to replace easily. And that's why you get something akin to the HD25, HDJ2000, M80/V80, DT770/880/990. My HDJ500's appears to have survived longer than some poor fella's Beats Solos, considering that guy has now switched to SkullCandy. Magnesium>plastic?

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #4,375 of 5,506
I know stereotyping is unfair but if it represents a good portion of the population I always end up using it :S
p.s. I am technically part of the current gen too just a little older

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #4,377 of 5,506
That gizmodo article doesn't have truly sound arguments... Look around head fi and you will see a bunch of people evaluating headphones with modern music. The respondent's argument pretty much crumbles right there. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #4,379 of 5,506
This is indeed a heroic effort on the part of r00tb33r and Ishcabible. I think their work on TTG is a prime example of how one can vouch for competent headphone purchases even without taking in-depth audiophile concepts into account, using commonly understood terms and addressing real-world concerns.

I've only skimmed through the last thread but the arguments against Beats' build quality and "image" were spot-on.

"If you're trying to attract females, it's been discussed and the conclusion has been reached that headphones ARE NOT ATTRACTIVE. If you want to make guys think better of you, give me a break. Objects are not the way to make friends."

"Headphones are tools without moving parts. You shouldn't have to take care of them out of necessity. They should be durable by design."

Quote:
More interesting stuff from The Tech Game! Arguing with people about Beats is a daily thing now, but it doesn't get old. Here are some of the latest wise words from Beats owners.

http://www.thetechgame.com/Forums/t=3091629/new-beats-by-dre-mixr.html

In this thread, observe the typical Beats fanboy in his natural habitat. Suddenly, along come the vicious Head-Fi'ers to challenge him on his own turf! An epic fight to the death ensues, but after a thrashing, he's still got some left and comes back for more!

http://www.thetechgame.com/Forums/t=3096691/for-root-beer.html
This does not end well for the now-battered fanboy. Will he mount a counter-attack? Will he again try to debunk the truth? Tune in next week! 
popcorn.gif

Sorry for the commentary, but I just couldn't resist. Here's another one.

http://www.thetechgame.com/Forums/t=2070772/buying-headphones-get-advice-here/start=1470.html

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #4,380 of 5,506
I'm all for arguments proving the Beats' sonic inferiority and the silliness of wearing them for the 'image', however I still say that arguing that headphones must be durable is a potentially losing argument. It holds up purely because Beats were meant to be portable, however what if someone says they only wear them indoors? They will win the argument regarding durability, simply because they don't need it.

Are you going to try to claim that Sennheiser HD800s are meant to be durable? While they're extremely well built and solid, they are no means abuse-resistant. If you slam them around, you will damage delicate components. Sure, Beyer DT770s or whatever are built extremely durably, but not all audiophile headphones are meant to be portable+durable. Thus the argument against sensitive headphones automatically implies that HD800s, etc., are trash.

The point is, sensitive equipment does not HAVE to be durable. It merely needs to be well built. Well built is not the same thing as durable. Childrens' toys are durable to stand abuse, yet not particularly well built. A MacBook Pro is not particularly durable if you drop it due to the glass screen, but it's extremely well built for normal use scenarios (please if you disagree then substitute some other laptop, and DON'T start an hipster apple hate debate).

Beats may very well be poorly built as well as sensitive to abuse, but the point is, sonic qualities is where the argument should be focused, because that's the issue here. The "enemy" is statements such as "With Beats by Dre you hear the music the way it was MEANT to be heard." 

Anyway, I agree rootbeer's efforts there are quite amazing. Definitely an interesting read sometimes to see the inevitable people saying "BUY BEATS BRO THEYRE THE BEST" every other page, and how rootbeer always shames their ignorance very tactfully/smartly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back