Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Dec 8, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #2,836 of 5,506
^
Wait, what?

Are you talking about Dr Dre Beats headphones here? Or some other Monster headphones?

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #2,838 of 5,506
http://www.beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B6387&cat=1

Regardless of how much Beats suck (and they do, I just tried them at the Apple Store last weekend), you have to admit that the Detoxes are damn sexy.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #2,839 of 5,506
Not $600 sexy.

Quote:
http://www.beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B6387&cat=1

Regardless of how much Beats suck (and they do, I just tried them at the Apple Store last weekend), you have to admit that the Detoxes are damn sexy.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #2,840 of 5,506
I was talking about the monster iSport immersion IEM's i know it's off topic lol. These are them below:

http://reviews.audioreview.com/monster-isport-immersion-earphones-review/3

BTW while on the train to work, i was hearing this guy talking about his beat solo's to his friend that wanted to buy a pair of headphones. So, he proceeded to take the headphones out of his bag and unfolded it. When he unfolded it the folding mechanism broke. The look on his face was priceless and it took every ounce of me not to laugh. After that:

friend: "s*** bro when did you get these?"
solo guy: "screw a month ago" 
friend: "damm and they broke already screw that i am going to get something better"
solo guy: "nodded his head said i agree these are my second ones and they broke"

I was going to jump in give them some brands to look out for but they got off the train lol.

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #2,841 of 5,506
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 8, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #2,842 of 5,506
Quote:
Monster came out the the iSport that is fully waterproof and the design looks to be great for activities and they are inear so i know they will isolate. I am going to return my MIE2's and try these out. I will update and let you know how these work out.

added: review for iSport: http://reviews.audioreview.com/monster-isport-immersion-earphones-review/3

The Monster iSports (the waterproof ones) suck, suck, and suck some more. The sound is muted and veiled at the same time. It's like putting speakers under a rubber mat.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #2,843 of 5,506
I haven't gotten called out in a while, but something interesting did happen. I was in B&H and these two kids were talking about how awesome the Beats were and how they were about to buy a pair. I snickered... They turned to me as if to ask "what?" (To which I assumed they were being too cool to actually say or didn't want to instigate anything) So I said to them, "When you first walked in you went right for the Beats, not noticing ANY other headphone in the same price range or higher... Why don't you try out some OTHER headphones before you jump to buy those?"

[Mind you this is paraphrased because I don't remember exactly how the exchange went, but this is the general convo and what they did and what happened]

Them: Naw, we don't need to, Beats are the best.

[Note: I had on the HD800s which were now around my neck as I lowered them as I started conversing]

Me: Funny... Those are $300... Why not look at the price of the headphones I have on?

[They walk over to me and look at the price tag of the HD800s]

Them: What?! 1500 DOLLARS?! 

Me: Yeah... and that is WITHOUT the, at minimum, several hundred dollar headphone amp needed to make these sound decent. 

Them (really the kid looking to buy Beats): I gotta see how these sound for that money

[at this point I took them off and handed them to them]

Them (well the one who was looking to buy the Beats): ...... It...It sounds like I'm there in the middle of everything...

His friend: Yeah but they look like ****...

Me: You know, if you try out some of the other headphones you may just find headphones that you like BETTER than the Beats... Do you like FlyLo?

Them: **** yeah! He's awesome, you're into him? 

Me: Not really, not my style, but the reason I ask is because I read a Tweet of his that say he loves his M50s and would never use anything else.

Them: His what? 

[Shows them the M50s]

Me: These. And they are probably more your price than the HD800s or the Beats

[The guy tries them on]

[At this point a sales rep walked up asking if any of us needed help]

Me: Naw, I'm alright, thanks

[The kid who was now wearing M50s takes them off when his friend taps him on his shoulder]

Kid: What?

Sales rep: Do you need any help?

Kid: Yeah... Can I get a pair of these?

Me: What happened to the Beats?

Kid: I like these better, though the Beats still look sexy

Me: But those look cooler and not as cheap looking

Kid: [paused for a second and laughed]

SO! At the end of it all, I prevented some random kid from throwing his money away on the Beats and got him set up with a nice pair of M50s. And he seemed pretty happy with his decision. I didn't show him any of the other headphones, but perhaps he'll try some other ones out next time he is there or when looking for a new pair of headphones he'll demo others before deciding on something based on popularity (Which will probably be a while considering that the M50s won't break so easily)

I was actually surprised they didn't get more defensive... But hey, you can never tell how a convo is going to go. Though I suspect the sales reps weren't too thrilled that I basically lost them $170.... Or perhaps they were because they are likely to come back to B&H if they are going to upgrade or refer their friends to get the same (or at least I hope they would)

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #2,844 of 5,506

Quote:I have them right now and i use for ACTIVE use there decent in sound better than the other beats imo. As long as they stay on, take abuse, while i am doing my activities then i will sacrifice the sound a bit.They actually to a good job of that. If i want to really listen to my music then i have my Denon's for that.
The Monster iSports (the waterproof ones) suck, suck, and suck some more. The sound is muted and veiled at the same time. It's like putting speakers under a rubber mat.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #2,845 of 5,506
Kyuuketsuki that's really awesome. Ignoring the fact that you use open flagships outside (
biggrin.gif
) you really did something better than just stir them away from bad quality: you showed him a reference pair which he would hardly ever get to try otherwise. You're right, I also expected him to get way more defensive, but hey glad to be wrong *raises pint of beer*

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #2,847 of 5,506
I've been on headfi for the past few weeks quite a bit. My roommate saw me research a bunch of different and says to me "you should just get beats". I wasn't sure what to say. I didn't feel like arguing. Most college kids are too stupid and ignorant to realize beats are popular because of advertising and not quality. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #2,848 of 5,506

Quote:
I've been on headfi for the past few weeks quite a bit. My roommate saw me research a bunch of different and says to me "you should just get beats". I wasn't sure what to say. I didn't feel like arguing. Most college kids are too stupid and ignorant to realize beats are popular because of advertising and not quality. 

marketing....Beats are the Bose for the teenager.
College kids wear everything Jay-Z, Rihanna or Dr.Dre wears.
Don't get me wrong, even adults get fooled.

Edit: Don't forget Lady GaGa

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #2,849 of 5,506

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizardKing1 

Kyuuketsuki that's really awesome. Ignoring the fact that you use open flagships outside () you really did something better than just stir them away from bad quality: you showed him a reference pair which he would hardly ever get to try otherwise. You're right, I also expected him to get way more defensive, but hey glad to be wrong *raises pint of beer*

What are you talking about? I don't OWN HD800s... I was demoing them at B&H, they have a demo pair, which is right next to GS1000s... I WISH I had money for those... They tried on the demo that the store had on display. I had my HJE900s in my pocket which are my usual on the go headphones (well either that or my TMA-1s). I wish they would put the PS500s on display though... They have SR80s then straight to GS1000s for Grado, none of their in between headphones on display.... 

Also, as much as I love the hd800s, from what I have heard about the LCD-3, I'd be more interested in dropping that kind of money on those rather than the 800s.

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #2,850 of 5,506

Quote:

Not gonna lie, it was pretty hot when the girl got hit with the purple.

Nice.

anyone else waiting for the headphone to break when it got his?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back