Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Nov 22, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #2,731 of 5,506

Quote:
No, it is not. But without any knowledge at all (i.e. she obviously knows next to nothing about headphones), saying something like "Beats are best than Stax" is a lack of intellectual capacity. I'm sorry for being that internet guy, but it's true. If she had said "I really like the Beats, but I don't know anything about it", sure, she's just uninformed. But this is more like arrogance. Again, I'm sorry, I'm sure she's a lovely person.

Eh it doesn't sound to me like she had any idea what Stax was, and once she found out she changed her tune. It sounds like she was just giving him a hard time anyway, probably knowing his interest in headphones. We were all uninformed at some point
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #2,732 of 5,506

Quote:
So basically what your saying is this, to summarize: If company X builds headphone with amazing sound quality for the price, audiophiles will like this product.

Yes, I do agree with that. Pretty obvious though.

Well this was ONE PART of my post, yes. It goes without saying that if a company 'X' as you said will create/build a headphone with amazing sound quality for the price then audiophiles would like it.  Although I was more relating the idea to Monster. As I said, monster is a Monster of a company that pretty much done their homework in terms of marketing. They have their claws in many ends of different companies, and have celeb musicians endorse the products. And are obviously tangled into Apple realm as-well.  What I was saying is that, with all the bad they do, (I.E. crude marketing and high mark up of headphones that actually provide a sound that is equal to 1/2 or 1/3 of the price) they do slowly open up the general consumers' eyes to other options of high quality headphone products.  The way I see it, if anyone is about to spend over $250 on headphones, that person is clearly looking to get serious about the music he/she are listening to.  Some may just buy Beats/Bose and stick with it for years... but many others will actually buy them, test them for 30 days... start comparing other brands at that price range and will realize what the reality of Hi Fi headphones is.   

After all, does the Senn HD800 actually worth $1500?  From me personally hearing those, properly amped.. I say soundwise, a $500 pair provided better sound. Though the Headfi community and audiophiles will generally be more forgiving since Senn has been making quality head gear for years, and most often than not, provide a fairly good/great sound quality for the price (though they certainly have dropped the ball with their budget lineup)    

I'm just saying that right now, Monster is in prime position to win over the Hi-Fi community. They're probably not too concerned with this, but they should be.
It would transition them from a shameless marketer to an actual quality headgear provider.

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #2,733 of 5,506
Now, this I can recognize. It is very much true what you say.
I realize now that my way into audiophile gear was via stuff like this. More known brands selling expensive stuff. I have been through a couple of gaming headsets  even before my eyes(ears?) were opened.

So I guess this overly marketed stuff did lead me on to audiophile equipment eventually.
I should be sort of happy then I guess! 
happy_face1.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #2,734 of 5,506
Exactly..
Eventually shouldn't it all boil down to common sense and rationale?

I mean I take myself for example. I by no mean consider myself above the average consumer. I'm very conscientious on what I buy and how much I pay for. And trust me that I am an average at best when it comes to that department.  However, I am also very picky. And the more I pay, the higher expectation I have. When I paid $70.00 retail for the Sony MDRV500.00 and then held them and heard them, I was very un-happy. If I'd paid $25.00 I would've been more content. But I still would not have kept them.  Then, when I paid $49 - $69 for the XB500's, I was very happy. Why? Because they held their promise to the letter. I know some people that won't even justify paying that much on headphones and would stick with their stock mp3/ipod i-buds or other in ear phones that come with it. That's fine since they're not willing to shell out more for better sound.   However, once I realized what $69 could get me, I started exploring more. And I think that the general consumer behaves this way as-well. I mean, if you're already investing more than what you have. And let's face it, at the stock point, you're pretty much investing 100% of whatever amount you're willing to allow yourself. Whether it's $70, $100, $200 or $500  And unless you're rich and money is of no issue to you (which I believe majority of us here are not) every $ you spend, and especially once you go over the $100 mark (retail wise) is very important to you, is it not?   This is why I say that companies like Monster with their beats, Bose with their QC's and on ears.. and to lesser extent, the Entry to mid level Sony headphones and Sennheisies are great leadway higher end headphones like Beyer, AT, Shure, Grado, AKG, KRK, Ultrasone and others..  Once I got the XB500, it literally took me under a month to go through Pioneers, Panasonic, JVC and all other commercial brands at that retail price-tag.  And you know what, the XB still blew them out of the water in terms of Sound vs Price vs What the headphone promises to deliver. But then.. I came across Shure.. the SRH240's which were about $10 more.. and then the 440 which were about $40 more.. and you know what, people and the headphone bar pros attested that the Sony V6 and/7 are just as good as the Shure 440's, yet the 440's are cheaper and actually have slight edge of precision.  

So guess which one I ended with to this day?  And all this in what, a span of a month or so? And during that time, not only have I tested so many headphones, I did extensive 1 to 1 with Solos, Studios and Pros..Bose and Skullcandy. So whether this sounds bad or not, at that time, at $250 - $500 at best-buy/apple store those were the reference to compare to other phones.. so imagine what I would say when I did a 1 to 1 XB500 to the Pros which come very close to what they do at 1/5 of the price. Or that 440's compared to Studios do better at 1/3 of the price..   But again... if I had nothing to compare them to... Where is the point of reference?   

As I said, there is good with the bad....  Now, monster just needs to shape up, conduct more field research and get out a lineup that appeals to both the mass consumers and the hi-fi community.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #2,735 of 5,506
I get called out for wearing Sony MDR-7506's around my neck.  Funny thing is they are 20 some years old and sound twenty times better than Beats.  They even sound better than Beats Pro in my opinion.  I make the Beats wearers listen and all they can do is sputter and blurt out how mine look ugly.  Who really cares? They sound better, cost less, and they have survived twenty years of abuse without a single crackle or pop.  The only thing I have had to replace is the earpads.  No cheap crack prone plastic here.  Professional audio for the win, cheap overpriced celebrity endorsed crap.  Out!

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #2,736 of 5,506
All I usually say when it comes to the 7506/v6 is simply 'They're industry standard for a reason...'

Quote:
I get called out for wearing Sony MDR-7506's around my neck.  Funny thing is they are 20 some years old and sound twenty times better than Beats.  They even sound better than Beats Pro in my opinion.  I make the Beats wearers listen and all they can do is sputter and blurt out how mine look ugly.  Who really cares? They sound better, cost less, and they have survived twenty years of abuse without a single crackle or pop.  The only thing I have had to replace is the earpads.  No cheap crack prone plastic here.  Professional audio for the win, cheap overpriced celebrity endorsed crap.  Out!

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #2,737 of 5,506
Exactly. People don't understand.  Just because they dont look "cool" doesnt mean they dont sound good.  I doubt any Beats headphone could last 20 years with normal use and still make sound.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #2,738 of 5,506

Quote:
Exactly. People don't understand.  Just because they dont look "cool" doesnt mean they dont sound good.  I doubt any Beats headphone could last 20 years with normal use and still make sound.

There's a good reason why it has more reviews on Amazon than Beats too. Heck, look at MDR V6. Industry standard is right. 500 something reviews to just under 300 for the Beats.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #2,739 of 5,506

Quote:

im sure but this is not true for more than 50 percent of the american population XD. Idk where u live but in america most people dont know good sound quality when they hear it, I mean not everyone. They are normally  impressed by my hd25s and m50s but I doubt theyd take that over beats. Honestly the beats sound cool, but after about listening to them for like three songs they get dull... same damn thing every time. Nothing ever sounds new. ever. 

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #2,740 of 5,506
Quote:
im sure but this is not true for more than 50 percent of the american population XD. Idk where u live but in america most people dont know good sound quality when they hear it, I mean not everyone. They are normally  impressed by my hd25s and m50s but I doubt theyd take that over beats. Honestly the beats sound cool, but after about listening to them for like three songs they get dull... same damn thing every time. Nothing ever sounds new. ever. 

Which would be in line with the vast majority of current pop music trends, though there is still always good music too be found. So what if the search is a little more difficult, that makes it more fun 
L3000.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #2,741 of 5,506

Quote:
Eh it doesn't sound to me like she had any idea what Stax was, and once she found out she changed her tune. It sounds like she was just giving him a hard time anyway, probably knowing his interest in headphones. We were all uninformed at some point
smily_headphones1.gif

i used to think beats were great luckily sony convinced me that beats are overpriced :p 

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #2,742 of 5,506
1. Color me intrigued. I'm sure your comment regarding the HD800's lackluster performance (granted you purport an unspecified 500USD headphone performs better) will shock many in this community, but I wonder why you're terribly vague, your staggering claim notwithstanding. What amp did you use? Curiously, you also neglect to specify what 500USD headphone provides better SQ. What is most perplexing, however, is that you have repeatedly proclaimed yourself as one to invest only in budget headphones, yet now you speak as though you're familiar with the HD800, the amp - which I imagine boasts a hefty pricetag - paired with the HD800, and a nameless 500USD headphone. 

2. How has Sennheiser "dropped the ball with [its] budget lineup"? The HD558/598 are worthy contenders in their price bracket (140~180USD), and I found the latter very enjoyable. 

3. Monster Cable has already catered to audiophiles and mass consumers alike with the Turbine series. 

I write this not with biting malice, but with scrutiny and doubt. I certainly don't mean to say you've no right to post your thoughts, but I reserve the right to exercise skepticism and open criticism as well. I should also note I don't own, nor have I ever heard, the HD800, so I'm not defending the HD800 because of any ulterior agendum.

Quote:
1. After all, does the Senn HD800 actually worth $1500?  From me personally hearing those, properly amped.. I say soundwise, a $500 pair provided better sound. Though the Headfi community and audiophiles will generally be more forgiving since Senn has been making quality head gear for years, and most often than not, provide a fairly good/great sound quality for the price 2. (though they certainly have dropped the ball with their budget lineup)    

3. I'm just saying that right now, Monster is in prime position to win over the Hi-Fi community. They're probably not too concerned with this, but they should be.
It would transition them from a shameless marketer to an actual quality headgear provider.

As I said, there is good with the bad....  Now, monster just needs to shape up, conduct more field research and get out a lineup that appeals to both the mass consumers and the hi-fi community.

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #2,743 of 5,506
Most people don't consider ~$150 "budget". That's unimagineably expensive for most people.

Also I think shotor tried the HD800, dunno which amp. He also tried the new Grado RS500 or something like that, which is the $500 one he's referring to I think.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #2,744 of 5,506

Quote:
Most people don't consider ~$150 "budget". That's unimagineably expensive for most people.

Also I think shotor tried the HD800, dunno which amp. He also tried the new Grado RS500 or something like that, which is the $500 one he's referring to I think.

I have heard stories of people comparing the shure srh840 with the sennheiser hd 650 and thinking the difference was minimal. I'm inclined to believe it and honestly i don't think it can get much better then the senn 650. From what i read they sound really good and they give you about 90% of the senn hd800 sound. Then if the shure srh840 gives you 90% of the senn hd650 sound then i don't see the point in going past mid fi.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #2,745 of 5,506
I suppose you're right. 150USD is a bit high. 
How about the HD201/203/PX200-II? All of these are available <60USD, and all of them scale well in their respective price brackets. 

I'm not asking whether he "tried" the HD800, amp, and the nameless 500USD headphone. I'm indirectly asking whether he has owned - or has spent extensive time with - them. Shotor clearly lives in the USA (since he always refers to US currency), and the USA has very few places where you can demo the HD800 in optimal circumstances. I've also conversed with him via PM and learned he frequents Best Buy for impressions, which could indicate he doesn't live in an area with many places to demo headphones. If he has tried the HD800, it was likely at a meet - not very conducive to what many would consider optimal circumstances.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back