Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Nov 21, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #2,701 of 5,506

They would probably sound better that way 
evil_smiley.gif

:D

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #2,703 of 5,506
Nov 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #2,704 of 5,506

Quote:
FOR SHAME! Buying a Cuban cigar when I fail to see a LCD-2 in your inventory! 

-takes puff from his pipe with glass of 25yr single malt scotch in hand-

any yet it's still scotch........

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #2,705 of 5,506
With all the wrong in the Beats lineup, well Price being the main subjection to critique here (less the Solos which really are not worth more than $60 - $70 retail, and that's being generous here), they are slowly getting that pop/Rap/Hip Hop average consumers into the realm of recognizing quality headphones. Not everyone granted, but some will definitely convert on their own terms on their own time. Seeing how the other poster mentioned the facebook chat about the new Executive being all turning sideways and pivoting, something which dedicated headphone companies have been doing for many many years.. Leads me to believe that the closer monster will try to get to Real Hi-Fi design and sound, the bigger chance they take at exposing those consumers to other headphone companies, namely AT, Senn, Shure, AKGs etc...

What Monster execs really need to do is to device a special analysis research team to go and specifically conduct research on what audiophiles think about their headphone products.  Sure, they have a big market share with their current lineup, but, if they're smart, they should come on here and read what real audiophiles have to say about the beats. 

We've already seen that Skullcandy had taken some steps towards that, which in favor earned them some points of respect from this community, namely with the new aviators. They're still overpriced, but... significantly better than their previous mumbo-jumbo commercial plasticy rubbish headphones that snap within 6 - 1 year's worth of use. 

Now, if Monster will take the time to actually device a comfortable headset lineup, one which will also appeal to the mass pop culture and as-well at to the audiophile community, even at $200 - $400 ranges.. Trust me, if you'd get a very deep bass that reaches sub-FR levels with very very well defined His, Mids, good definition and sound separation, and I'm talking about Grado/Shure 440 - 940 levels (to begin with)..   Then yes, they'll definitely earn some respect.. and definitely more sales.

They'd still be overpriced... But...

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #2,706 of 5,506
So basically what your saying is this, to summarize: If company X builds headphone with amazing sound quality for the price, audiophiles will like this product.

Yes, I do agree with that. Pretty obvious though.

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #2,708 of 5,506
It's pretty sad that marketing can be the single greatest factor in determining a company's success. As soon as people see something that looks 'cool' they will instantly buy it without doing real comparisons to other products, then justify it is the best because they spent much more than they should have on the product.

I wish Monster would either lower prices or make products that actually fit their price range, but that will probably never happen. (OMGWAD MY $150 MONSTAR AYCHH DEEE EMMM EYEE CAPLE IS BETTAR DEN URS)

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #2,709 of 5,506

Quote:
It's pretty sad that marketing can be the single greatest factor in determining a company's success. As soon as people see something that looks 'cool' they will instantly buy it without doing real comparisons to other products, then justify it is the best because they spent much more than they should have on the product.

I wish Monster would either lower prices or make products that actually fit their price range, but that will probably never happen. (OMGWAD MY $150 MONSTAR AYCHH DEEE EMMM EYEE CAPLE IS BETTAR DEN URS)

This issue has pretty much always annoyed my father, an engineer. In general, he says, engineers don't understand marketing; the reason for this being that given a certain amount of funding and time a team of engineers will spend it all creating the perfect product without bothering to get the word out about it!
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #2,710 of 5,506
It's annoyed me quite a bit too. I'm a university freshman only recently coming out of a high school with preppy rich white kids (Not trying to be racist, but I think you know what kind of people I'm talking about). So yeah, I usually have to deal with those kinds of people on a regular basis, and the amount of ignorance by my age group in general is astounding. I see a whole lot of iPhones and Beats headphones in tandem just about all the time.

I don't mean to branch off, but in general people who scoff at you for not using Beats are the same type of people who genuinely believe Apple invented everything (Not saying Apple's products suck, just pointing out the Apple zealots).

Luckily I know better, and I'm enjoying my new M50s like a boss.

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #2,712 of 5,506

Quote:
It's annoyed me quite a bit too. I'm a university freshman only recently coming out of a high school with preppy rich white kids (Not trying to be racist, but I think you know what kind of people I'm talking about). So yeah, I usually have to deal with those kinds of people on a regular basis, and the amount of ignorance by my age group in general is astounding. I see a whole lot of iPhones and Beats headphones in tandem just about all the time.

I don't mean to branch off, but in general people who scoff at you for not using Beats are the same type of people who genuinely believe Apple invented everything (Not saying Apple's products suck, just pointing out the Apple zealots).

Luckily I know better, and I'm enjoying my new M50s like a boss.

Ahh the Apple zealots, not sure which can be more annoying the Apple zealots the Microsoft zealots, the Google zealots or the Beats crowd. I'm in complete agreement with your point. The more I stop and look the more I notice the vast majority of Beats people in my city also seem to be sporting an iPod or a MacBook Pro/Air. You want to see complete over the top zealotry go on Cult Of Mac or Boy Genius Report or iLounge and just shake your head at the level of ignorance. I've run across some articles concerninmg Beats on those sites and my mind is boggled at how some of the Apple zealots jump on the Beats bandwagon all because you can buy a Beats can at an Apple Store. Their view is if an Apple Store sells Beats it has to be great sounding because Apple would never allow an overpriced crappy sounding headphone to be sold in their store. Ignorance must be bliss.

On a side note if anyone is ever mind numbingly bored you should try going on an Apple tech site one day. Just bring up anything having to do with ANDROID in the articles comments thread and sit back and grin as the Apple fan boys have an industrial farm and go completely bonkers posting some of the most idiotic stuff you'll ever read. Never could understand why some geeks treat their platform of choice like it's God and country.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #2,713 of 5,506

Quote:
Ahh the Apple zealots, not sure which can be more annoying the Apple zealots the Microsoft zealots, the Google zealots or the Beats crowd. I'm in complete agreement with your point. The more I stop and look the more I notice the vast majority of Beats people in my city also seem to be sporting an iPod or a MacBook Pro/Air. You want to see complete over the top zealotry go on Cult Of Mac or Boy Genius Report or iLounge and just shake your head at the level of ignorance. I've run across some articles concerning Beats on those sites and my mind is boggled at how some of the Apple zealots jump on the Beats bandwagon all because you can buy a Beats can at an Apple Store. Their view is if an Apple Store sells Beats it has to be great sounding because Apple would never allow an overpriced crappy sounding headphone to be sold in their store. Ignorance must be bliss.

On a side note if anyone is ever mind numbingly bored you should try going on an Apple tech site one day. Just bring up anything having to do with ANDROID in the articles comments thread and sit back and grin as the Apple fan boys have an industrial farm and go completely bonkers posting some of the most idiotic stuff you'll ever read. Never could understand why some geeks treat their platform of choice like it's God and country.

With the Apple site thing...Been there, done that. You won't believe the amount of ridicule and idiocy. One of them thought their iPhone was a 4G phone. And global capable (Verizon, non-S). Basically, had a hilarious field day with that.
beyersmile.png

On two counts I've actually run into these zealots. Out comes the MIUI loaded Droid 1/Droid 2, and they immediately shut up. MIUI=Android mixed with iOS in a nutshell. But still at least 5x more functional in terms of customisation than iOS. A mixed OS has its benefits, eh?

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #2,714 of 5,506

IIRC some survey a few months ago found that, out of a sample size, about 50% of iPhone users believed they were on a 4G network.

Anyways, as much as I don't want to start a flame war about which product is inferior and whatnot, I'm all for anyone who enjoys whatever they get, be it Beats by Dre, iPhones or anything else, but it's moreso the snobs who try to push their preferences onto other people to create a right/wrong in a subjective world. It just so happens that they're usually people who are enticed by shiny ads and everything they see on the TV.

Back to the Dre's, I still feel bad to my friend who got the Studios on discount for $180 though.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #2,715 of 5,506
Has anyone actually listened to the Apple iBuds before being completely biased and saying they suck? I've listened to several (and when I mean several, I mean dozens of earbuds) others and the Apple iBuds are not as horrible as everyone makes them out to be as appointed to by the audiophile community. Take Tyll Hertsens for example, he himself said, and I quote "They are one of the best earbuds in the world".

Now, before I go on, let's get something out of the way. Most earbuds suck, they have no isolation, tend to be very uncomfortable, and just in general lack in sonic quality. With that being said, after listening to several other earbuds I can confidently say that the iBuds are one of the most fabulous pair of earbuds in the world. They have very extended highs that aren't ear piercingly bright, a very sweet midrange, and while there may be little to absolutely no bass (with the exception of a slight boom), they work very well for detailed listening. Sure, the soundstage is very mediocre and the imaging is just plain bad, but they perform exceptionally well for an earbud.

That is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back